1 week on Paleo and no weight lost

2»

Replies

• StacyReneO
    StacyReneO Posts: 317 Member
    I immediately gained 2 lbs when I started Paleo. It took me a few months to find the right balance and now I have lost about 5 lbs. Paleo isn't a weight loss solution, it's a healthier lifestyle. If you are going to do it - try the first 30 days full on Paleo - no wine, no peanut butter and definitely no soy.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    I also started Paleo when my GI doc wanted me to try gluten-free for 4 weeks to see if it would help my digestive issues. I didn't test positive for Celiac, but he suspected sensitivity since nothing else was helping. I agree with Akima - this is not a diet for weight loss, it's for health.

Anyway, I'm 49, 5'5" and started at 142. The first 4 weeks I was very strict - no alcohol, fruit or dairy. Six weeks in I was at 132, and here I stay. I now enjoy the occasional wine, fruit and dairy with no issues. I feel so healthy now - no digestive issues at all. My tummy is almost flat again - I had never realized I was so bloated. My avg. daily calories are 1700, and my macros are 20% carb/60% fat/20% protein and I come pretty close most days. I'm very focused on strength training and high interval cardio.

My diet was pretty good before this, but very grain heavy. I have a friend who did the Whole30 and only lost 2 poiunds in the four weeks, but her diet was much better than mine to start with.

I'm sharing my story so you can see that it works, but it works differently for everyone. Read up on it. I like Robb Wolf's stuff. Good luck.
  • Syriene
    Syriene Posts: 238
    Give it at least a month and I am sure you will notice a difference. It might not be your weight you notice at first, it might be just how you feel. I am almost at 20 lost and I started in February, so results will vary. Quicker would have been nice, but i'll take slow and steady over nothing. Good luck!
  • tammietifanie
    tammietifanie Posts: 1,496 Member
    Soy milk is a problem, too. Can you tolerate cashews? Cashew milk is easy to make.

It also looks like you're not eating much in the way of fat.

I've never seen Cashew milk before I will have to check out my local store, I live in small town that has only two stores to shop at so i'm very limited to what I can buy.
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    hi, i started a week ago Sunday and have seen a loss of 5 lbs- I am following the Autoimmune Paleo Program. I have eliminated night shades, rice, nuts (all kinds of nuts). You may want to eliminate those if you have Celiac Disease, IBS, etc. I have three autoimmune diseases and I have noticed an improvement in just one week. I can only hope things get better, this is a lifestyle not a diet. I can add those foods I have eliminated back in one at a time after a month. This may jumpstart loss for you.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Soy milk is a problem, too. Can you tolerate cashews? Cashew milk is easy to make.

I've never seen Cashew milk before I will have to check out my local store, I live in small town that has only two stores to shop at so i'm very limited to what I can buy.

Odds are, it won't come in a carton, unless you find some real specialty place. Instead, it comes in a tin or box labelled "cashews."

Yes, that means you have to make it yourself. It's not hard to make nut milk of any sort. Here's the basics:

1. Soak the nuts for at least 4 hours (I usually do overnight).
    2. Rinse and put them in a blender in a 2-4 to 1 ratio with water (2-4 cups water per cup of nuts, depending on how creamy you want the milk)
    3. Blend well.
    4. Pour into a nut bag or folded cheese cloth. Squeeze gently into a new container.
    5. Repeat as necessary until all your nuts are processed, or until your storage container is full.
    5b. (Optional) If you find your milk a little too pulpy, pour it through the nut bag/cheese cloth again to filter out the remaining pulp
    6. Enjoy! Most nut milks last about 4-7 days in the fridge, depending on your storage conditions (fridge temp, storage container, etc)

This works for all nuts, and will work to coconut, too, except you don't need to soak it, and you include the water found inside the fruit.
  • tammietifanie
    hi, i started a week ago Sunday and have seen a loss of 5 lbs- I am following the Autoimmune Paleo Program. I have eliminated night shades, rice, nuts (all kinds of nuts). You may want to eliminate those if you have Celiac Disease, IBS, etc. I have three autoimmune diseases and I have noticed an improvement in just one week. I can only hope things get better, this is a lifestyle not a diet. I can add those foods I have eliminated back in one at a time after a month. This may jumpstart loss for you.

I have Celiac and Ibs :( I will look into Autoimmune, My mom stop eating Night shades and says her fibromyalgia, Ibs and stomach problems are going down ...
  • tammietifanie

Odds are, it won't come in a carton, unless you find some real specialty place. Instead, it comes in a tin or box labelled "cashews."

Yes, that means you have to make it yourself. It's not hard to make nut milk of any sort. Here's the basics:

1. Soak the nuts for at least 4 hours (I usually do overnight).
    2. Rinse and put them in a blender in a 2-4 to 1 ratio with water (2-4 cups water per cup of nuts, depending on how creamy you want the milk)
    3. Blend well.
    4. Pour into a nut bag or folded cheese cloth. Squeeze gently into a new container.
    5. Repeat as necessary until all your nuts are processed, or until your storage container is full.
    5b. (Optional) If you find your milk a little too pulpy, pour it through the nut bag/cheese cloth again to filter out the remaining pulp
    6. Enjoy! Most nut milks last about 4-7 days in the fridge, depending on your storage conditions (fridge temp, storage container, etc)

This works for all nuts, and will work to coconut, too, except you don't need to soak it, and you include the water found inside the fruit.

Thank you I will have to get some Nuts at my farmers market and see how this comes out!
  • homesweeths
    homesweeths Posts: 792 Member

I make my own non-dairy milk with a high-speed blender. I can't do the carton milks with their additives and carageenan. Cashew milk is just a cup of raw cashews, soaked overnight (discard soaking water) plus 3 or 4 cups of filtered water, blended well and then strained through a net bag or very fine strainer. You can add a little salt and/or vanilla extract into it, if you like. The recipe I have calls for agave but I don't want mine that sweet.

Almond milk is the same for me -- a cup of almonds, soaked overnight and blended well with water, then strained. Keeps in the fridge about four days, I think, though ours never sits that long.

Coconut milk is the easiest -- no need to soak. Just blend medium shred dried coconut with water. Four cups of water to a cup of coconut, for "milk" texture, or use less water, the creamier you want it to be.
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    I found alot of information from this site.
    http://www.thepaleomom.com/autoimmunity
    http://autoimmune-paleo.com/autoimmune-articles/
    and I spent $19 on this cookbook. http://www.autoimmune-paleo.com/cookbook/

Here's a page from the book http://autoimmune-paleo.com/paleo-autoimmune-protocol-print-out-guides/#prettyPhoto/0/

Hope this helps... There are many other resources out there but I could relate to these.
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    The 5-10lbs people talk about is usually mainly water weight that is lost by dropping carbs.

A lot of the earlier loss is dependent on how you ate before Paleo. If you are Celiac and didn't eat bread, for example, your carb intake was probably much lower than most who did and because of that you likely won't see the big difference in that first week.

Keep it going though and I promise you'll see some changes.

As others have said, drop the soy. Almond milk is easier to find than cashew milk, around here anyways.

Up your calories a bit and don't be afraid of fat. That's usually people's biggest problem at the start; getting out of the fat=bad mentality.

My diary's open but this week has been awful for me, lol. With Halloween and running around to all sorts of different things, I've fallen off the wagon a little bit :P

Now to get back on track.
  • tammietifanie
    The 5-10lbs people talk about is usually mainly water weight that is lost by dropping carbs.

A lot of the earlier loss is dependent on how you ate before Paleo. If you are Celiac and didn't eat bread, for example, your carb intake was probably much lower than most who did and because of that you likely won't see the big difference in that first week.

Keep it going though and I promise you'll see some changes.

As others have said, drop the soy. Almond milk is easier to find than cashew milk, around here anyways.

Up your calories a bit and don't be afraid of fat. That's usually people's biggest problem at the start; getting out of the fat=bad mentality.

My diary's open but this week has been awful for me, lol. With Halloween and running around to all sorts of different things, I've fallen off the wagon a little bit :P

Now to get back on track.

Before switching to Paleo I was not eating bread, I was still eating rice and other gluten free carbs like black bean chips, gluten free cookies .. I don't want to lose just water weight cause I know that's not real fat lost and it will just come right back. I have been the same weight for a year now no matter what I do or how much I eat or workout my body just won't change. After talking with my family who also suffer from Celiac, Ibs and other things they started doing Paleo and lost weight and stopped having pain, so I figured I would give it a try and see if it will not only help me with my weight but help me with my Celiac and IBS..
    This week has been a rough week and I've not followed Paleo very well so i'm cleaning out my pantry this weekend, stocking up on good foods and grabbing this bull by the horns and doing it right..
    I will look for Almond milk at my local store, i'm sure they have it !
  • pattyproulx
    pattyproulx Posts: 603 Member
    Before switching to Paleo I was not eating bread, I was still eating rice and other gluten free carbs like black bean chips, gluten free cookies .. I don't want to lose just water weight cause I know that's not real fat lost and it will just come right back. I have been the same weight for a year now no matter what I do or how much I eat or workout my body just won't change. After talking with my family who also suffer from Celiac, Ibs and other things they started doing Paleo and lost weight and stopped having pain, so I figured I would give it a try and see if it will not only help me with my weight but help me with my Celiac and IBS..
    This week has been a rough week and I've not followed Paleo very well so i'm cleaning out my pantry this weekend, stocking up on good foods and grabbing this bull by the horns and doing it right..
    Ya, the water weight means nothing. I'm just saying that those that do lose all that weight in the first week just basically lose water weight, so they're not really any further along than you are.

Fat loss takes time and in my experience, it works best with a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Give it a real shot for three weeks and you should definitely feel a lot better. In terms of weight, people lose at different speeds and you shouldn't get too discouraged if you don't lose as quickly as you hope.

It's tough when you hear of people who lose 10lbs in a month. It can definitely be motivating, but usually, those stories end up de-motivating I find because people expect the same type of results.

Also, I find those people have the hardest time keeping it off. They get so used to the rapid weight loss that when it stops, they get discouraged and fall back into their old ways.

Slow and steady wins the race. Even if you only lose 3lbs a month, you'll have lost 20lbs by summer :)
  • tammietifanie
    Ya, the water weight means nothing. I'm just saying that those that do lose all that weight in the first week just basically lose water weight, so they're not really any further along than you are.

Fat loss takes time and in my experience, it works best with a low-carb, high-fat diet.

Give it a real shot for three weeks and you should definitely feel a lot better. In terms of weight, people lose at different speeds and you shouldn't get too discouraged if you don't lose as quickly as you hope.

It's tough when you hear of people who lose 10lbs in a month. It can definitely be motivating, but usually, those stories end up de-motivating I find because people expect the same type of results.

Also, I find those people have the hardest time keeping it off. They get so used to the rapid weight loss that when it stops, they get discouraged and fall back into their old ways.

Slow and steady wins the race. Even if you only lose 3lbs a month, you'll have lost 20lbs by summer :)
    [/quote

Your so right slow and steady is the way to go!
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member

I guarantee your limitations are nothing compared to mine. It may take effort to find certain things, and even better, make what you can from scratch but the benefits of Paleo come from making the choice to do the best you can with what you have and always research how to access better foods. Most people live in places where farming occurs and all manner of food is available if not locally, then also online with affordable shipping.

Personally, I'm not big on nut milks, but I do use coconut milk occasionally. Native Forest is my favourite brand, but so far, I have not been able to find a source that will ship to me in the Arctic. One can make their own coconut milk as well if they have access to quality coconut in bulk. Or whole, fresh coconuts. Since it is a canned product, I don't have it often. But I have coconut oil all day, every day. Yum.