Cold Weather Running Clothes

Options
PinkNinjaLaura
PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
I live in Minnesota, where it's already getting pretty cold (past couple weeks high temps are in the 30's and there's been a biting wind). How do I dress for running as winter rolls around?

Today I had on running tights with shorts over them (because my shorts have the pockets I need and my tights don't), with a light long sleeved race shirt & my Champion running pull-over. My legs were okay but my upper body was uncomfortably cold on my warm-up & cool-down walks, plus the first half mile or so of my run (the air temp was okay but the wind was brutal).

I don't want to wear so many layers that I'm super hot during my run, but it's also just going to keep getting colder so I need to invest in some cold weather running gear. Before I spend money on it though I'd sure appreciate suggestions.

Replies

• btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm obviously not an authority as I'm probably less experienced than you, but I've been thinking of it a lot. Was it your upper body itself that was cold or your neck and hands? I'm planning to get a buff http://www.buffusa.com/sports/collections/filter/running and with a hat if I need extra warmth, I think that it'll help quite a bit with keep my upper half warmer. I'm thinking that the buff could be worn many ways providing more or less warmth as I get warmer myself.

I've got layers for my upper half, I have a long sleeved tech shirt and a skirt sports tough chick top to switch between for the bottom layer, a light weight tech jacket for on top of those, and then a heavier one to replace the lighter jacket or for a third layer. I don't know if I need three as Maryland is not Minnesota, but I think that if I spend time in Montreal like I did last winter, all three layers might be useful.

One idea is to wear an extra layer just for warmups and cooldowns. So you wear the extra layer and walk from your starting point (my car) for 2:30 minutes then turn around and walk back, remove that layer and put it in a safe place (my car) and start running. Once halfway out, turn around and start back and reach the car when I'm done running, or just not be done running until I reach my car, grab and put on the extra layer and proceed with the cool down and stretching. It doesn't have to be just the warmup that I wear the extra layer in the beginning, I could walk one direction for the full 5 minute warmup, and then run back to the car, put the extra layer inside and then continue the run.

I still need to actually try this though.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I have a Mountain Hardware shell with a zipout technical fleece liner that I got from Sierra Trading Post years ago.

It works really well for here, and you can layer it up underneath. I'm not going to win any races in it (or out of it for that matter), but it's comfortable to run in during the winter.

Something like that: a breathable wind/water resistant slim fitting shell with a liner is where I'd go as it gets colder.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...to learn more as this is a topic that is relevant to my interests.
  • yamsteroo
    yamsteroo Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    It really is starting to get cold now and I know I'm going to struggle to reach a compromise on warm enough to leave the house but not overheating on the run (I heat up a LOT when I start to run, my face can be seen from space).

One option was to do my warm up in the house ..... I mean a bit of jogging on the spot, squats, jumping jacks and I've got a jump rope, just something to warm everything up a bit then start running as soon as I leave the house. I'm not sure if this would be enough but I might try it tomorrow and see how it goes.

The other option was an extra layer of long sleeved top which I can tie around my waist but history suggests this might not work as I don't have an hourglass figure so things tied around my waist don't stay there for long.

A third would be similar to leaving it in the car and starting the run from their but in my case it would be more tying it to a road sign or a tree and hoping it would still be there on the way back .... that could work as my early morning runs usually mean seeing 3 other people at most along the route and i don't think any of them are in the market for second hand fleeces. :)
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Hey Yam..

I have a similiar solution...

I will run on the track at the high school when it's cold, they have some benches along the track and usually 1/2 my wardrobe is lying on that bench by the time i finish running. On my last lap, i scoop it up in my hands and start cooldown. Anthing from 30-45 degrees, I am comfortable in a long sleeve top, shorts, and gloves.

edited to finish a thought...
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses.

It's my entire upper body that's cold during the walks, but again I warm up pretty quick when I run. (Still laughing at yamsteroo's comment about face being seen from space because OH THAT'S SO ME TOO).

I think I'll invest in a warmer running jacket as Varda recommends, and also use btsinmd's suggestion about dumping a layer during my run. I typically run from my house, so I could loop around a few blocks as my warm-up, ditch my warmer outer jacket in my house/garage/yard, do my run, then come back to retrieve my warmer outer jacket from my house/garage/yard for my cool-down walk.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I like the windbreaker idea as it works in a wide range of temperatures...and you can "vent" it with the zipper as you warm up.

That said, I don't own one yet...it's just the direction I'm leaning right now.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you should invest in something that has wind-block in it, as opposed to warmth. I had a fleece jacket that was warm until any wind blew - then it was like I didn't have anything on at all. I have a very light Eddie Bauer jacket that blocks wind from the front and over the shoulders, but has different breathable fabric in the under-arm and back areas.

It's not as cold here, and I run best when my shoulders are not overheated. I ran last winter with a ribbed tank (2 layers), a long sleeved shirt (never with a jacket) and stretchy mittens. For me, the most important part is the mittens in the cold. Last week I went running with a friend in just a tank top, but needed mittens on because my hands were almost frozen. My shoulders were happy, though.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    One idea is to wear an extra layer just for warmups and cooldowns. So you wear the extra layer and walk from your starting point (my car) for 2:30 minutes then turn around and walk back, remove that layer and put it in a safe place (my car) and start running. Once halfway out, turn around and start back and reach the car when I'm done running, or just not be done running until I reach my car, grab and put on the extra layer and proceed with the cool down and stretching. It doesn't have to be just the warmup that I wear the extra layer in the beginning, I could walk one direction for the full 5 minute warmup, and then run back to the car, put the extra layer inside and then continue the run.

Btsinmd, this is a great solution! I love your common sense! :-)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Here are my suggestions....

For the head, invest in two different items. A head band that covers your ears, and an entire beanie style cap that covers your ears. For guys I just suggest the beanie, as the headband might look a little odd. Just sayin. The point here is to have two options. If it is a decent temp outside, but one enough to still nip, then you want to at least keep your ears covered but allow heat to escape your head. Remember, heat rises. And this is the same for the body as well. On those colder days, use the beanie cap to keep the heat in your body.

For MN, I would suggest possibly investing in a face mask as well, to be used on the very cold days.

For the neck, I would suggest investing in a turtle neck technical shirt. Yes they have them.

For the upper body, you have several options. Pull away sleeves, long sleeve shirts, vests, glvoes, etc... The biggest key is to dress 10 degrees warmer than it currently is. That accounts for body temp elevation and external temp elevation over the course of your run. You should feel cooler during your warm-up and at that later parts of your cool downs. That is what warm up and cool downs partially do. Part of their jobs are to warm your muscles up and get them ready to use. And the cool downs are basically working stretches to help relax and bring the core temp down. What ever material you use, just remember no cotton.

For the legs I suggest investing in some thermal tights. These are an investment. For example, CRX compression thermals are heaven (got to test some out at the store on Wed) but they are expensive, $110 for the pants. But they are durable and work great. I didn't want to take them off lol. I prefer draw strings, as the elasic yoga pants slide down my bum when I run. But the yoga pants I have found to work great for running. I have a pair of Nike capri tights that are comfortable as well.

For your feet, look into winter wool running socks.

The big thing is going to be paying attention to the weather and just trial and error on what works for you. Me, I can go out in a short sleeve technical and shorts in 40 degree weather. Anything lower and I start having to bring in sleeves and tights.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Drawstrings are a must. And pockets. I bring more stuff along in the winter: Kleenex and Chapstick, etc. plus it gives you a place to shove your gaiter, etc if it gets soggy or annoying. I actually have a silk balaclava, which is nice, but I tend to just use the treadmill on those days when it's that cold.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    It's upper 20's/lower 30's most mornings, so it's getting pretty cold already. I do have a fleece headband. Not a big fan of hats in the winter. At one of the fall 5Ks I've done, a local running company gave away some kind of cowl that goes around your neck but can be pulled up as a hood and/or face mask. Would be worth it to swing in there and see what they've got. Last time I was at ****'s Sporting Goods I was checking out the SmartWool athletic socks so I'll invest in some of those.

Tonight one of my friends gave me an inexpensive reflective vest she picked up for me at Ikea. Picture crossing guard/construction worker vest. It's bright yellow with gray reflective stripes running all the way around, and it's what she wears when she runs in the dark. I wanted to see how it fit over the winter jacket I splurged on last fall (which is really warm but surprisingly light weight - but it's black), only to find my jacket is now a full 2 sizes too big. Yay, but also crud. That reminded me that I don't want to spend too much on anything right now because I've still got another 40 or so pounds I want to lose. Those thermal or compression tights sound like a wonderful goal purchase when I get smaller.

I agree about pockets being a must. One morning last week I ran in tights and I pulled my shorts on over them so I could have pockets too.

Edit to comment that I love that MFP does the *** thing on words that actually aren't meant to be objectionable. It's a national chain. Just sayin'.
  • KathleenKP
    KathleenKP Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Well...Yay! for the coat that's too big.
  • btsinmd
    Options
    Yay for the coat that's too big!
    I'm dealing with that too, need winter clothes, but don't want to spend money on something I'm hoping to not be able to wear next year. I've lready spent more than I should have at Skirt Sports, but I really do need something warmer when/if it gets really cold here in January.

LOL, about the objectionable sporting goods chain. Maybe you could space it out D i c k ' s Sporting Goods. :)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I'm dealing with that too, need winter clothes, but don't want to spend money on something I'm hoping to not be able to wear next year. I've lready spent more than I should have at Skirt Sports, but I really do need something warmer when/if it gets really cold here in January.

LOL, about the objectionable sporting goods chain. Maybe you could space it out D i c k ' s Sporting Goods. :)

Glad to see I've been a bad influence :wink:
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I bought a few inexpensive (Danskin brand) things tonight for my cooler weather runs. They'll provide good layers anyway when it gets colder. It's all from their Dri-weave line. Bought a tech shirt with a very (very) light fleece inner liner that's got a cowl neck, a zipper/hooded sweatshirt that I'm hoping will be warmer & block wind better than what I have been wearing, and another pair of running tights. They had thermal pants for a very reasonable price that would have been awesome if my legs were 6 inches longer than they are. Can't wait for my run tomorrow!

Side note Danskin tends to run small on me, so I always have to size up. The sweatshirt I wanted they only had in a large, which is my normal size not my Danskin size. I have a cotton Danskin sweatshirt that's an XL and still feels snug. I held it up, and it clearly was going to be too small, but I tried it on anyway and it fit. I almost started crying right there in the store.
  • btsinmd
    Options

Glad to see I've been a bad influence :wink:

Yes, you are the reason I found that site!

I love wearing their clothes!
  • btsinmd
    Options
    I bought a few inexpensive (Danskin brand) things tonight for my cooler weather runs. They'll provide good layers anyway when it gets colder. It's all from their Dri-weave line. Bought a tech shirt with a very (very) light fleece inner liner that's got a cowl neck, a zipper/hooded sweatshirt that I'm hoping will be warmer & block wind better than what I have been wearing, and another pair of running tights. They had thermal pants for a very reasonable price that would have been awesome if my legs were 6 inches longer than they are. Can't wait for my run tomorrow!

Side note Danskin tends to run small on me, so I always have to size up. The sweatshirt I wanted they only had in a large, which is my normal size not my Danskin size. I have a cotton Danskin sweatshirt that's an XL and still feels snug. I held it up, and it clearly was going to be too small, but I tried it on anyway and it fit. I almost started crying right there in the store.

Sounds like a nice NSV!

Looks like you're ready for winter now. It should be interesting on seeing how all of us "first year" runners get through to Spring.
  • likitisplit
    Options

Awww. Love this.

Mark Remy recommends a fleece quarter zip with a breathable wind-blocking shell so that you can use the zippers to adjust your temp throughout your run.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options

Awww. Love this.

Mark Remy recommends a fleece quarter zip with a breathable wind-blocking shell so that you can use the zippers to adjust your temp throughout your run.

Wore my new sweatshirt when I ran Saturday and it was nice - it's a full zip, but I did unzip partially as I got warm then zipped back up for my cool-down walk. Also the hood is the kind where I could pull it up & tie it lightly without it obstructing my peripheral vision. I'll need another layer when it gets colder out, but it worked well this weekend.