Cold Weather Running Clothes

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Perfect! I got a lot of my original set of running clothes from TJ Maxx - Danskin, Nike, UnderArmour. If you know what you are looking for, you can find some real steals.
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I bought my first pair of tights but haven't worn them yet. It hasn't been below 40 yet on my runs and I've been fine in shorts. Tomorrow night's group run has been designated as "tight night" so I just may get my chance. It's supposed to be getting very cold by sunset on Tuesday. I definitely need them Wednesday night for our track workout.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    It was 31 on Saturday morning so I wore tights with my shorts over them (my shorts have pockets). Varda mentioned carrying chapstick when she runs in cold weather and I was wishing I had thought to bring some. I did remember Kleenex.

We have a TJ Maxx in town & I didn't even think to go look there. Will be in that area on Friday so will definitely go check out their selection.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Check out the "apparel" section:

http://www.jennyhadfield.com/tools
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I didn't run last night so I missed "tight night." I'll get my chance tonight at the track workout. It's supposed to be pretty cold.

Regarding stores I like Marshall's. It's a slightly cheaper version of TJ Maxx with a lot of the same stuff. They seem to have a good selection of women's running stuff but it's not always so good for men. Occasionally I find something at Ross too (a cheaper version of Marshall's again with the same stuff).
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I bought a few inexpensive (Danskin brand) things tonight for my cooler weather runs. They'll provide good layers anyway when it gets colder. It's all from their Dri-weave line. Bought a tech shirt with a very (very) light fleece inner liner that's got a cowl neck, a zipper/hooded sweatshirt that I'm hoping will be warmer & block wind better than what I have been wearing, and another pair of running tights. They had thermal pants for a very reasonable price that would have been awesome if my legs were 6 inches longer than they are. Can't wait for my run tomorrow!

Side note Danskin tends to run small on me, so I always have to size up. The sweatshirt I wanted they only had in a large, which is my normal size not my Danskin size. I have a cotton Danskin sweatshirt that's an XL and still feels snug. I held it up, and it clearly was going to be too small, but I tried it on anyway and it fit. I almost started crying right there in the store.

Awww. Love this.

Mark Remy recommends a fleece quarter zip with a breathable wind-blocking shell so that you can use the zippers to adjust your temp throughout your run.

Wore my new sweatshirt when I ran Saturday and it was nice - it's a full zip, but I did unzip partially as I got warm then zipped back up for my cool-down walk. Also the hood is the kind where I could pull it up & tie it lightly without it obstructing my peripheral vision. I'll need another layer when it gets colder out, but it worked well this weekend.

I have quite a few Danskin pieces that I picked up from Wal-Mart. They are cheap and fit well. I am still trying to build my winter run wardrobe. There is a New Balance running store a few blocks from me. It had a big sale sign on the window, so I went inside. Tights were 80 and up. I think I will stick to Wal-Mart for now. I do need a jacket. I ran today with my North Face down vest. I didn't overheat because it was so pretty windy, but I didn't buy my North Face with running in mind. It is something I bought more for fashion and I don't want it to end up all stinky from my runs.
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I bought a few inexpensive (Danskin brand) things tonight for my cooler weather runs. They'll provide good layers anyway when it gets colder. It's all from their Dri-weave line. Bought a tech shirt with a very (very) light fleece inner liner that's got a cowl neck, a zipper/hooded sweatshirt that I'm hoping will be warmer & block wind better than what I have been wearing, and another pair of running tights. They had thermal pants for a very reasonable price that would have been awesome if my legs were 6 inches longer than they are. Can't wait for my run tomorrow!

Side note Danskin tends to run small on me, so I always have to size up. The sweatshirt I wanted they only had in a large, which is my normal size not my Danskin size. I have a cotton Danskin sweatshirt that's an XL and still feels snug. I held it up, and it clearly was going to be too small, but I tried it on anyway and it fit. I almost started crying right there in the store.

Awww. Love this.

Mark Remy recommends a fleece quarter zip with a breathable wind-blocking shell so that you can use the zippers to adjust your temp throughout your run.

I love this too, Laura! :-)!!!

Where do you get a reasonably priced breathable wind-blocking shell?
  • CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    I was at Marshall's today and they had under armor warm wear mock turtlenecks for ladies on clearance for $10. I didn't buy one, I was afraid the mock would make me sick, I can't deal with things mushing my neck.

I bought a wool wear headband at d I c k s tonight. I also bought a Nike warm wear wicking full zip jacket with the finger holes. I get really hot when I run, even in the cold. I'm comfortable in capris and a tech tee down to 35 degrees. I'm hoping with the jacket I'll be able to tie it around my waist if I get hot.

I popped into jc penny tonight, they have some really nice running clothing. I found a pair of Nike capris on clearance for 11.99 and bought one of their private label quarter zip tech jackets for 19.99.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Wife brought home a pair of cheap Tek Gear "compression" running pants for me. At $12 (after sale and discount and coupon...you know, typical Kohl's reductions) it seemed like a good way for me to figure out what I like/don't like since I've never owned anything like them. I'm a little confused about the "moisture wicking to keep you cool" part...trying to figure out when you'd want to wear pants *and* stay cool, but I suspect they're warmer than my usual just wearing shorts approach. However, I also suspect they'll be like my shirts where an outer wind-breaking layer is essential to truly be warm. (A wind-breaking outer jacket is the next item on my "need to buy to run in the cold" list.)
  • likitisplit
    Options
    In the 30s, the pants are fine. In the 20s, I'll throw cotton shorts on over them. Below the teens, I'll add warm up pants over them. Mine are Nike DriFit. Wicking also means that you don't get a soggy layer that wants to freeze or chafe next to your skin.

I've never gotten capris as I don't think they flatter me, but so many women swear by them, that I need to check them out.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I've worn just shorts in the teens before...but when it's colder than 35ish, I have second thoughts. My thought now is more safety than comfort. Before, when I ran through the subdivision, I figured if something bad happened to me (like a turned ankle), I was just a minute or two from being "rescued"...but if I'm on a trail run and something bad happens, I could be an hour from help arriving (assuming I even have phone coverage, so could be longer). Having appropriate clothing for the conditions seems like a good thing.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    That makes a lot of sense. Also, how you are running. Shorts are ok for a 5k, but a two hour long run is going to get awful cold during the cool-down.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I'm not willing to spend too much on insulated running tights until I'm done losing weight, but I did find a nice really thick pair of Reebok ones at D i c k ' s. They were $50 on sale for $35 and I had a $20 rewards certificate. Saturday it *might* get up to 20 degrees, so I'll be glad for the warmer leggings. I also bought a Nike Dri-Fit running hat - kind of the beanie style - in the most lightweight fabric I could find. Had to buy a unisex one because I have what is apparently an unnaturally large head for a woman, given how women's hats fit me.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I have not yet invested in technical leg coverings for running. Since day 1 have have been wearing cheap leggings that are sort of fleece lined (Primark £3 thermal tights, if anybody in the UK cares). I have many pairs, also footed tights ones, but it turned out the ankle length ones are perfect for me running. Tight, warm, black, don't move, don't sag or rub, and don't seem to get soggy. I wear the footed version with most of my daytime clothes in winter, but I even ran in them even on the hottest of days because nobody ever gets to see my legs. Ever.

Recently I have been wearing a pair of shorts over them, with knee length compression style sock under, but before it was just a long dress/vest to cover my undulating bum.

I actually came here to ask if any of you wear gloves when running? My hands start off painfully cold in this weather but are hot and sweaty after that. I only own wooly gloves and was wondering what you could recommend for the start of my runs.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    Options
    I have running gloves. They're very lightweight and kind of a loose knit. I've discovered they're fairly useless for anything else because they're not actually warm, but perfect for running. I got them for free - a company I used to order vitamins from (who has since gone out of business) sent me a care package once as a thank you for being a good customer and they were included. I also start out with cold hands but if I have regular gloves on they start sweating really fast. Otherwise I just keep my hands tucked up in my sleeves until I've been running long enough to warm up.
  • timeasterday
    Options
    I actually came here to ask if any of you wear gloves when running? My hands start off painfully cold in this weather but are hot and sweaty after that. I only own wooly gloves and was wondering what you could recommend for the start of my runs.

I wear gloves if it's below 50°F. I got some cheap thin sport gloves from Costco - brand name is Head.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I'm not willing to spend too much on insulated running tights until I'm done losing weight, but I did find a nice really thick pair of Reebok ones at D i c k ' s. They were $50 on sale for $35 and I had a $20 rewards certificate. Saturday it *might* get up to 20 degrees, so I'll be glad for the warmer leggings. I also bought a Nike Dri-Fit running hat - kind of the beanie style - in the most lightweight fabric I could find. Had to buy a unisex one because I have what is apparently an unnaturally large head for a woman, given how women's hats fit me.

I'm with you there, I don't want to spend too much while still losing weight. I got a pair of cheap Danskin running tights and today I layered them over my running capris. That worked quite nicely. Don't worry Laura, I also have a large head, women's hats never fit. Neither do most headbands, they always slide off the back of my head. At my first race, they were selling some headbands/sweatbands that actually work for me (bondiband.com). I know that's more of a summer deal, but my hair is so thick that unless it's wet it keeps my head warm. I wear them to cover my ears and so far I haven't need anything thicker. It may need to get something warmer as it gets colder. Winter still has yet to set it up here.

Edit to add that the gloves I've been wearing are just the knit ones that you can pick up for a dollar. When it gets colder I'll need to rethink that one.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I have not yet invested in technical leg coverings for running. Since day 1 have have been wearing cheap leggings that are sort of fleece lined (Primark £3 thermal tights, if anybody in the UK cares). I have many pairs, also footed tights ones, but it turned out the ankle length ones are perfect for me running. Tight, warm, black, don't move, don't sag or rub, and don't seem to get soggy. I wear the footed version with most of my daytime clothes in winter, but I even ran in them even on the hottest of days because nobody ever gets to see my legs. Ever.

Recently I have been wearing a pair of shorts over them, with knee length compression style sock under, but before it was just a long dress/vest to cover my undulating bum.

Light gloves. If you sweat and take off your gloves in cold air, you will be in a world of hurt. If you need something heavier, layer. That way you can take off a layer of gloves without exposing damp skin to the cold.
  • solardippo
    solardippo Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Light gloves. If you sweat and take off your gloves in cold air, you will be in a world of hurt. If you need something heavier, layer. That way you can take off a layer of gloves without exposing damp skin to the cold.

Yup, I am thinking I need to find something lighter: fairy loose and thin. The wooly ones worked OK last night because when I did take them off the cold wind was behind me, but if I had been going in the other direction I think I would have been in unfun world.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Silk glove liners might work, if you can't find light technical gloves.

(Remy says that technical comes from the Greek root, teknikos, meaning "expensive")