Replies

• romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Nice introduction! You are an inspiration to us all :flowerforyou:
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I may already know you, Nicholette, but I sure enjoyed reading your story! :heart: :heart: :heart: :smile:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    You're all so sweet! I am enjoying the group already, thank you!
  • sandi117
    sandi117 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hi all! I'm Laura, 24, live in the SF Bay Area in California.

I've been browsing the boards in the group for a little while as I'd just started getting into running again. I did C25K last year, and ran my first (and unfortunately only) 5K last year in March. I did MUCH better than I expected - 32 minutes! Then between getting sick, spraining my ankle, working two summer jobs, getting sick again, and then getting into weight lifting, I hadn't been running as much. Still did cardio, but usually the arc trainer. I've missed it, so I just started C210K and am LOVING it so far. Looking forward to scheduling a few races this year once I get back into the swing of things. I need some new running shoes though... Hoping DSW has some Saucony's on clearance =)
  • StephFork
    StephFork Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Stephanie. I just finished the C25K program and decided to push on to training for a 10K. I never thought I'd like running enough to think about a 10K or half marathon but I do. Actually I still have a love/hate relationship with running. Tonight was day one of the 10K training and those extra 10 minutes weren't easy. I'm running a 5K on Sunday with my mom to prep for an actual race on March 2nd and then I'll have my first 10K on April 6th.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Stephanie! My relationship with running is complicated as well. However, the more you do it, the more you stop questioning what you are doing. ;)
  • mheebner
    mheebner Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Hey all...been lurking a while in this group although was kinda active in the C25K group. My name is Matt, and I am a endorphin junkie. The bigger problem may be for me though is I am not sure if its the endorphin high I am addicted to, or the chasing of it.

Up until last fall I have never run,....ever. Started with C25K, was given advice by two people to get a run analysis done and purchase new shoes which I promptly ignored. Got sidelined on two occasions with shin splints when it finally sunk in that maybe I should listen to my sister, a marathoner, and my other friend who is a Iron Man competitor. I mean come on...I have never run and I know more than them right ?? Finally finished the program in about 12 weeks and then just kept at it till I could go 5K, which took about another month. It was at this point I realized that I love running. It's almost an obsession now. I have been trying the whole 'streak' thing of running a minimum of a mile every day and have almost 30 days under my belt.

Decided to up my game to 10k after telling everyone that 5K was all I would ever need to do....but like a true endorphin junkie, I just want to keep running. I tried a 10K trainer but honestly just not that crazy about it so I have just decided to try getting there on my own (I know...will i never learn ???) I have run 10K now on 2 occasions at a pretty slow pace but I am training by upping my distance 10% every week with 5K as my baseline.

I have no real plan or race or agenda...I just want to run. I do have a dream of a sub 30 5K, and I am still a solid 3 minutes off that time, and I have a vision of myself just hitting the road and running, and then realizing that I am miles and miles from home but it doesn't matter because that was the plan....
    Anyway good to be in the company of other obsessive/endorphin junkies

TL:DR version.....fat guy decides he is a endorphin junkie and wants to just keep running.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Welcome in!

I realized that, while C25k was awesome to get started, it wasn't really what I needed as a "runner."

I used the SmartCoach program on runnersworld.com. Even if you don't use it, I highly suggest playing around with it, so you get a feel for how training plans are put together (30-50% Long run, 10% speed work, 10% weekly mile increase, recovery week, etc.)

If you ever find yourself not getting out there because of life or whatever, sign up for a race. The running community is pretty sharp about what it takes to keep ourselves addicted for the long haul.

I never planned to do more than a 5k and now I have a half under my belt. I'm not sure who you are calling obsessive over here. :laugh:
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Hey all...been lurking a while in this group although was kinda active in the C25K group. My name is Matt, and I am a endorphin junkie. The bigger problem may be for me though is I am not sure if its the endorphin high I am addicted to, or the chasing of it.

Up until last fall I have never run,....ever. Started with C25K, was given advice by two people to get a run analysis done and purchase new shoes which I promptly ignored. Got sidelined on two occasions with shin splints when it finally sunk in that maybe I should listen to my sister, a marathoner, and my other friend who is a Iron Man competitor. I mean come on...I have never run and I know more than them right ?? Finally finished the program in about 12 weeks and then just kept at it till I could go 5K, which took about another month. It was at this point I realized that I love running. It's almost an obsession now. I have been trying the whole 'streak' thing of running a minimum of a mile every day and have almost 30 days under my belt.

Decided to up my game to 10k after telling everyone that 5K was all I would ever need to do....but like a true endorphin junkie, I just want to keep running. I tried a 10K trainer but honestly just not that crazy about it so I have just decided to try getting there on my own (I know...will i never learn ???) I have run 10K now on 2 occasions at a pretty slow pace but I am training by upping my distance 10% every week with 5K as my baseline.

I have no real plan or race or agenda...I just want to run. I do have a dream of a sub 30 5K, and I am still a solid 3 minutes off that time, and I have a vision of myself just hitting the road and running, and then realizing that I am miles and miles from home but it doesn't matter because that was the plan....
    Anyway good to be in the company of other obsessive/endorphin junkies

TL:DR version.....fat guy decides he is a endorphin junkie and wants to just keep running.

Your post makes me smile! I did a lot of the same things you did/are doing. Ran in the wrong shoes at first, rebelled against program structure, thought 5k's were the best/only distance to run...etc.

It is literally one of the best feelings in the world (to me) to realize you're 10 miles from home and the only way back is running them. This fall I will have completed my 7th half marathon. Though I have to say 5k's are still totally amazing! I'll probably run about 10 or more this year competitively. Also side note: in my opinion the 10k is the most difficult distance! It's a bit too long to go out at full steam but too short to run as a LSR. Tough!

Keep getting out there and enjoying the run!
  • zanne54
    zanne54 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Hi everybody! I'm so happy to have found this group!

My name is Suzanne, I'm 42 years old and live in Toronto. I started my weight loss journey on Jan 2, 2013, so have been at it for a year & a bit now. I waited until I moved out of obese into overweight on the BMI scale before I started the C25K in May 2013 (I didn't want to wreck my knees). I had to take a hiatus from running as last July/August was just too hot & humid for me to run without overheating, and I restarted C25K in September. Had my first 5K last October and ran it in 32:37 - way better than I had hoped! Thank you race day magic!

And I discovered that I didn't like running such a short distance - by the time I was warmed up and feeling good, the run was almost over! It just didn't seem to be worth getting all sweaty for. So, after my successful 5K, I decided to continue immediately with the bridge. And then winter in Canada happened, and December, and I didn't run at all. Restarted the bridge mid-January, had a knee injury this February, and restarted again early March. I just completed W12D1 yesterday - about 9K worth of running, and I'm cutting it really fine for my 10K race on April 12th.

I plan to run more 10K, some trail runs and 2 sprint triathlons this summer. As well as learn how to mountain bike so I can ride/keep up better with my DH. This group will definitely help keep me focused and on track. Because if I've learned one thing about running with all my program "restarts" it would be this: Don't ever stop running. Because it sucks so bad restarting.
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Hi Suzanne! Welcome to the group, always great to have new people joining.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Hi everybody! I'm so happy to have found this group!

My name is Suzanne, I'm 42 years old and live in Toronto. I started my weight loss journey on Jan 2, 2013, so have been at it for a year & a bit now. I waited until I moved out of obese into overweight on the BMI scale before I started the C25K in May 2013 (I didn't want to wreck my knees). I had to take a hiatus from running as last July/August was just too hot & humid for me to run without overheating, and I restarted C25K in September. Had my first 5K last October and ran it in 32:37 - way better than I had hoped! Thank you race day magic!

And I discovered that I didn't like running such a short distance - by the time I was warmed up and feeling good, the run was almost over! It just didn't seem to be worth getting all sweaty for. So, after my successful 5K, I decided to continue immediately with the bridge. And then winter in Canada happened, and December, and I didn't run at all. Restarted the bridge mid-January, had a knee injury this February, and restarted again early March. I just completed W12D1 yesterday - about 9K worth of running, and I'm cutting it really fine for my 10K race on April 12th.

I plan to run more 10K, some trail runs and 2 sprint triathlons this summer. As well as learn how to mountain bike so I can ride/keep up better with my DH. This group will definitely help keep me focused and on track. Because if I've learned one thing about running with all my program "restarts" it would be this: Don't ever stop running. Because it sucks so bad restarting.

Trails are the only thing that keep me running in the summer. Even when it's hot out, the trails are still decent.

The only thing that keeps me going in the winter is this group :wink:
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Jen. I live in Dallas and I just moved here from Boston 7 months ago.

I've been an on-and-off runner for years. I have a number of 5Ks under my belt (including my first 5K mud run this past weekend which was...interesting) but I have never attempted anything more. The longest distance I've run on my own is 4 miles, and I only did it once. I had a goal of running a 10K in 2013 but I didn't do it, mostly because I was too chicken. Chicken no more!

I signed up for my first 10K today. It's in 6.5 weeks on May 24th. Naturally I am FREAKING OUT but I'm sure it will be fine. :) I would love to run the whole thing, but my mail goal is just to finish. I'm going to start some kind of a 6 week program on Monday. I downloaded the Bridge to 10K app but I'm not sure if I'll use that. Any advice?
  • joedfro
    joedfro Posts: 270
    Options
    Welcome to the group Jen!

As far as advice, I don't consider myself an expert..I have only run (1) 5K...but i signed up for a half marathon and started following a plan for completing a half marathon. I have heard good things about bridge to 10K and there are several here who have experience with it.
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I'm jumping the gun a bit, have four more runs of C25K, but there was a question on running bras that popped into my newsfeed and I can't comment unless I'm in the group :)

I'm in Northern Europe and 35 years old, want to work on the full 5K distance and then move on to 10K. Running is only the second form of exercise that I hoist myself off the sofa for on a regular basis, regardless of how I feel in that moment, and while I have a lot to learn still, I feel like there's no stress; I can take my time and improve in my own way. And yes, so far I run by myself, but I'd love to participate in an official race this year. Also, a session or two with a coach wouldn't be too shabby. Glad to be here!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Welcome in!
  • mom2tripsn2
    mom2tripsn2 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! I just started running this April with the C25K app and found that I REALLY LOVE running! I would have never in my life thought I would say that, and I still don't know what possessed me to start, but I am so glad that I did. I ran my first official 5K on June 1st with a time of 36:04, a personal best :wink: So now I have been officially bitten by the running bug and I am moving onward and upward to doing a 10K. I completed W9 of the C210K (just picked up where C25K ended) last week and am moving on to W10D1 today.

First 10K is scheduled for August 16th :happy:
  • romyhorse
    Options
    Welcome to b210k!
  • timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    Hi folks! I just started running this April with the C25K app and found that I REALLY LOVE running! I would have never in my life thought I would say that, and I still don't know what possessed me to start, but I am so glad that I did. I ran my first official 5K on June 1st with a time of 36:04, a personal best :wink: So now I have been officially bitten by the running bug and I am moving onward and upward to doing a 10K. I completed W9 of the C210K (just picked up where C25K ended) last week and am moving on to W10D1 today.

First 10K is scheduled for August 16th :happy:

Welcome to the group!!
  • davetheperson
    davetheperson Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dave from Philadelphia, PA.

I started C25K in May, and registered for a 5K in August. Once I started to see that, yes, it was possible for me to be able to jog for an extended period of time, I stopped following the program, and decided to test myself. I decided to just go as long as I could without having to stop, trying to go a little further each time. I can now do 5K in about 30 minutes.

I am going to start training for a 10K (using Zen Lab's 10K app) for three reasons: 1) In the short term, if my workout is more difficult than the actual race I have to do, then the actual race should be easy, 2) To improve my time on the 5K, and 3) In the long term I do want to eventually do a 10K, and when that gets easy, start training for a half marathon.