Introductions

Options

Replies

• acidstained
    acidstained Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dave from Philadelphia, PA.

I started C25K in May, and registered for a 5K in August. Once I started to see that, yes, it was possible for me to be able to jog for an extended period of time, I stopped following the program, and decided to test myself. I decided to just go as long as I could without having to stop, trying to go a little further each time. I can now do 5K in about 30 minutes.

I am going to start training for a 10K (using Zen Lab's 10K app) for three reasons: 1) In the short term, if my workout is more difficult than the actual race I have to do, then the actual race should be easy, 2) To improve my time on the 5K, and 3) In the long term I do want to eventually do a 10K, and when that gets easy, start training for a half marathon.

Welcome to the group!!
  • iwannabinnarnia
    iwannabinnarnia Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Diane. I am a 43 year old Ohioan who has become addicted to 5ks. I actually walked a half marathon about 4 years ago. (lost a toenail to it due to having shoes that were not properly fitted). That kind of stopped me from continuing. But the friend I walked it with kept going and became a great inspiration to me. She still does half marathons, I have picked up 5ks. I have completed six 5ks so far this year. Have another one this Saturday, one in August, one in September and one in November. Also in September I'll be doing the Air Force 10k. Depending on how I do in that (and how my toenails hold up) I may switch to 10ks next year. Glad I found this group as I look forward to reading advice on moving up to 10ks.
  • CrescentCityGirl
    CrescentCityGirl Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Hello All!!

I ran up to 5 miles several years ago and stopped because I was having trouble with my ankle. Since then I have gone to physical therapy and my ankle is much stronger. I have been running for about 3 weeks now. Met some ladies who enjoy running and meet regularly. Now I am working to keep up with them. : )
  • adeo1234
    adeo1234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I finished the c25k app a month ago and ran 2 5ks afterwards. I'm now doing the Zen lab c210k.

Happy to get any advice on running safely. Also when do you start really enjoying it? So far I have a love hate relationship with running. Its a efficient way to burn calories and I enjoy finishing a race but I dont enjoy actually running lol.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I finished the c25k app a month ago and ran 2 5ks afterwards. I'm now doing the Zen lab c210k.

Happy to get any advice on running safely. Also when do you start really enjoying it? So far I have a love hate relationship with running. Its a efficient way to burn calories and I enjoy finishing a race but I dont enjoy actually running lol.

I've been running just over a year now. I can't say I enjoy it, but I don't HATE it anymore. :laugh:

There are days when I look forward to running and days when I dread it. I ALWAYS feel better for it afterward though!
  • adeo1234
    adeo1234 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thanks Ceci your post is giving me hope! I'm hoping things will change after I complete my first 10k.
  • JoelleAnn78
    JoelleAnn78 Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Hi All,

I'm excited to have found this group! (I'm not sure how I have never noticed before with Varda on my FL!) Anywho, I live in Downeast Maine, about 30 minutes from Acadia National Park/Bar Harbor. I started running in March 2013 using Zen labs Free C25K app and thought I would die. :frown: My husband assured me, and why would he lie to me?, if I followed the program and trusted the process, I would be a runner at the end. It was his idea to start C25K as he had been running when we met and... well, life....

I started in sweat pants and a sweatshirt... and the Nikes I'd gotten for Christmas, because they were pretty. I trained the entire program in that get-up.... WHY? Ugh. For Mother's Day my husband bought be some proper running gear -- pants, running bra, FitBit and a sweat wicking shirt....... (I think he was shocked I had stuck with it, and was rewarding me for my efforts!)

My first race was a personal vendetta against heart disease and heart defects, and when I was finished (33:54) I knew I had done my part! My goddaughter had open heart surgery at 18 months, and we raise money and do the HeartWalk every year. I shamelessly used my desire to RUN the HeartWALK as a ploy to get more donations :bigsmile: Worked, didn't it? Yup. :happy:

By then, I was hooked. I set my sights on a sub-30 5K and off I went. I ran all summer.....my husband came, too. He was, after all, the reason we started. Slowly, he faded off... under the guise that someone had to be with our then 1 year old.... Granted, my son was NOT a fan of the stroller and screamed most of the time, but, if we are being honest, my husband hated running. He has since come clean.... He is NOT a fan. He admitted he "thought [I'd] quit", and, when I took to it like a fish to water, he wan't sure how to break the news to me that he didn't want to continue. Here's a tip ---- I was happy to hear it! I don't want to drag someone along that hates it. I'd rather head off, at my pace (which is about a min/mile faster than his) and do my thing.

Fast Forward..... End of Summer 2013 -- achieved my sub-30 (standing PR 29:11:noway: ) in an awesome race with an awesome friend who was visiting from Texas and wanted a race we could do together. :heart:

Since then I have come to know the love of distance vs. speed. :love: I didn't use a program to increase distance. I consistently ran 3-4 miles when I ran and I was happy with that. One day, in late June, I pushed it to 4.5 miles ...cuz I could. Four days later I did 5 miles... cuz I wanted it. Four days after that I did 6.2 miles............ Because there was NO DOUBT in my mind I could do it. No doubt. And, I did in 1:07:44. Yesterday I did 5.96 miles (I know, I know....) in 1:01:09. I committed myself to run for an hour... When the car was just up ahead I kept going til I got there (hence the extra 1:09) but, I gave myself permission to stop there. I knew it was shy of 6 miles.

Holy word vomit... Anyway, I love running. I love people who run. I love the open road. I love the sweat, the tears, and the aches and pains. I love it all! And, I love this group already :heart:
  • CarlaMomOf4
    CarlaMomOf4 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!!! I just finally graduated from the C25K program and am excited to move on to my 10k goal!
  • romyhorse
    romyhorse Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Welcome Carla!
  • Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Aine. I started running in September. Did c25k over September and October. It very hard first and I hated it. I lost about 15 lbs in these two months and started to enjoy running... First, I thought it will be only 8 weeks. All September I was telling myself that I have to wait a little more till I am done. 6 more weeks, 5 more weeks, 4 more weeks... When I had 2 weeks left, I realized (with surprise) I will regret it when it's done... I started looking into what's next after 5k... Damn it, I cannot believe I'm trying to find a solution to the short light day... I think I am getting addicted to running ;)
  • moulesmariner
    moulesmariner Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Andy from the South of England, started running in Aug as I needed to do something to remain active other than stroll with the dog.... The dog now has to run with me and she loves it. That aside I graduated my c25k in October with the Great South Run 5k which I completed with a PB 28:35 :smiley: I have run the last few weeks with out a goal which has been nice so this week I signed up for a 10k so training starts on Monday which is exciting...
  • AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Hi new members!
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Yep welcome new people! I guess I missed these with the forum feckery! And I've now realised I haven't done an intro either... maybe another day for me.

For those around, don't be afraid to join the Daily Check in thread, though it says 10+ it's more a check in and chat then anything else. We don't care if its your long run or a short run :D
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    Hello, I'm Victoria. I did C25K two years (I think) ago, and continued to run until winter hit, and found out that my asthma and running in the cold don't mix. Tried all sorts of things, including wearing a neck gaiter and ski mask, but I was having attacks. I tried switching to a treadmill in the winters, but man, that's not my thing. Talk about boredom. So, I decided to be a seasonal runner, and I was totally fine with that.

Now, I've gone back to school and they have an indoor track, so I'm currently working on a ten week 10k program. I'm signed up for my first race on May 3rd.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,493 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Lenny from the Minneapolis area. I've been a runner since May 9th...yep, all of 11 days. So what am I doing here, in the Bridge to 10k group? Well, the day I started, May 9th, was also the day I completed my first 5k. Up to that point I had never been a runner. I hated running for running's sake. Two months prior, however, I had bought a fitbit and really got into fitness walking, working up to a 15min pace.

This was a low-key run/walk that started and ended at a brewery, with beer as the reward, not a t-shirt. My intent was to walk it, but one guy in our group challenged me to run it with him. Not one to back down, I accepted the challenge. I started out at way too fast of a pace and he reeled me back in. I found it very difficult to run that slow, but I relented, dropped back behind him so he could set the pace, and 37 minutes later, we crossed the finish line (which was the door to the brewery!).

I was stoked! ME? Finish a 5k? NO way! But I did it. In 37 minutes I went from hating running to loving running.

Since then I've run at least 5k every other day, bought a pair of Brooks Glycerin's from the local running store, signed up for a second 5k on Memorial day, and have tentatively planned a 10k in mid-July.

My 5k times have steadily been improving since then and I'm aiming for a 10 min pace at Monday's race. I've been reading up on various training plans and after this race, I've got a plan picked out to get me to 10k by mid-July. I hope to pick up some tips and encouragement from this group in my quest to get there.

I can't wait for work to be over so I can get out and run tonight!
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Welcome Lenny! It took me a bit longer to not hate running. :smiley:
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Dee!

I've been active in the c25k group, but since I graduated last week, I decided to come over here as I start trying to run longer distances. I live in southern California. I can run all winter long outdoors, but summer is sometimes a problem. I did one 5k last year, I went with my mom and we spent most of the time walking. It took us over an hour. I signed up for a 5k in June, and my goal is to run the entire thing. So far my longest nonstop run was 2 miles in 33:15, so now I'm doing a 10k running program to get the full distance.

I've always liked running but could never do it. The c25k got me stated on the path to running, and I look forward to never stopping!
  • KRPolo
    KRPolo Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I just finished the C25k this morning, and @Just_Ceci suggested this forum for the next step. I loaded the 10k Zen Labs app, and plan to just continue on this Sunday. While I ran cross country in high school, that was 22 years and 75 lbs ago, and I never really enjoyed it. After 8 weeks of c25k, I find myself looking forward to running days and thinking about whether I should run on the off days too. Now if only the scale will start to cooperate...
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Welcome @KRPolo I've seen you over in the C25K group. You'll find this one is most active in the daily check in thread :)
  • rebeccatherine
    rebeccatherine Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi there, I'm Becca. I "graduated" C25K back in August, ran a 5K on Oct 3rd, and now I'm here. I'm a slow, slow runner - I ran the whole 5K in 46:24. I used Podrunner Intervals for C25K (and I felt like it really worked for me) so now I'm doing their 5K to 8K program, and will hopefully use their 10K program after that. I'm also hoping that using programs like these will keep me accountable through the winter and I'll be able to improve my endurance and speed by spring. Keeping up running during winter will be difficult as I live in a place where winter can easily last 5 months or more and get very cold. I dislike treadmills so I will be looking into indoor tracks where I can run.
    Thanks for reading all my ramblings, happy runs to all of you!