Hi all, another post looking for help if you can spare it xD

Options
2»

Replies

• Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Hey Steel, I was going to say - I'll go through and remove all of the quick adds. I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks now, just to try and keep my diary tidy. I used to just leave 300 kcal at the end of the day when I'd exercised.

That's another question btw: with TDEE, does it assume a certain calorie burn? Like, if I burn 1, 000 kcal on a day but usually only 500 kcal should I eat the extra calories back? I guess you'll look at net intake anyway and let me know that :)
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Hey Steel, I was going to say - I'll go through and remove all of the quick adds. I've only been doing it for a couple of weeks now, just to try and keep my diary tidy. I used to just leave 300 kcal at the end of the day when I'd exercised.

That's another question btw: with TDEE, does it assume a certain calorie burn? Like, if I burn 1, 000 kcal on a day but usually only 500 kcal should I eat the extra calories back? I guess you'll look at net intake anyway and let me know that :)

TDEE is total daily energy expenditure. If you are referring to using a TDEE method, where you calculate your TDEE and manually set that (or a percentage of it, such as TDEE - 20%) as your goal intake, it assumes an overall average of activity and you do not eat back calories burned during exercise.

So for example you may have a set-up that does not use TDEE, where you are set to eat 1600 cals per day to lose 1lb/week. You then burn 400 calories during exercise and it has you eat 2000 calories. You do this 4 days per week and the other 3 days per week you don't exercise so you eat 1600 cals.

So your week looks like this: 2000,1600,2000,1600,2000,1600,2000.

With a TDEE method it averages out that activity and has you eat like this: 1828, 1828, 1828, 1828, 1828, 1828, 1828.

Now, in the above example I pulled those numbers straight out of my *kitten*. It's obviously not going to work out exactly like the above but I'm using the above example to illustrate the difference in methods.

With BOTH methods, keep in mind that you are still making an estimation. The assumed intake prior to exercise in the MFP method is an estimate. The amount of calories you burn through exercise is also an estimate even if you use a HRM.

Both methods can work fine. I personally find the TDEE method to be simpler and more convenient.

You may find some additional explanation in this thread:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/818082-exercise-calories-again-wtf
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    So, if your BMR, for instance, is 1400 and you set your calorie intake for 1600 assuming this is your TDEE but then work out for 1,000 calories every day (as if, but lets go with it), rather than eating back the excess calories you'd up your calorie intake? Because, you'd assume that that would put you in a huge negative deficit.

I'm not really sure how to word the question as I mean it - I guess what I mean is - how do you set your activity level accurately? if you're too ambitious with it you'd end up eating more than you should, but if you underestimate surely you're also doing yourself a disservice?

And I've just been through, removed all quick adds (aside from one where I got home from work really late and just couldn't log, so estimated - that's really not the norm though).

I've also set my goals back to what they were at :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    So, if your BMR, for instance, is 1400 and you set your calorie intake for 1600 assuming this is your TDEE but then work out for 1,000 calories every day (as if, but lets go with it), rather than eating back the excess calories you'd up your calorie intake? Because, you'd assume that that would put you in a huge negative deficit.

Sort of. If you assume your TDEE is 1600 but you exercise for 1000 calories daily, then you calculated your TDEE wrong. Using your above example your TDEE would be over 2400 (BMR + exercise calories + thermic effect of food + non exercise activity thermogenesis)
    I'm not really sure how to word the question as I mean it - I guess what I mean is - how do you set your activity level accurately? if you're too ambitious with it you'd end up eating more than you should, but if you underestimate surely you're also doing yourself a disservice?

If you rely on an external calculator then it's some trial and error. If you rely on your intake data and results then it's a matter of looking at the data objectively and making conclusions where you can.

In BOTH cases, it's also critical to track and log accurately, observing the results over time, and adjusting based on results. That's basically what we do here when we monitor people's intakes during plateaus/etc. We are looking at as much information as we can and adjusting intake and/or activity accordingly.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Aha, got you :)

I shall rely on your much superior knowledge to help me gauge my activity levels and required calories from it - the maths always leaves me a bit fuzzy tbh!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Please reply here when you've completed the removal of the quick adds. Let me know the date range as well.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    And I've just been through, removed all quick adds (aside from one where I got home from work really late and just couldn't log, so estimated - that's really not the norm though).

I've also set my goals back to what they were at :)

:)

Did it the other day - I'd only been doing it for 3 weeks so didn't take too long to go through and take them all out - was from around 4th November to 25th November.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Heyhey, bumping as per the "bump in 48 hours" post :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    We would like you to set your macros to the following please. Keep in mind this is gross calorie intake and not net, so in other words you need to average the following intake:

150 c
    60 f
    125 p

Please report back to us on 12/16 (two weeks from tomorrow) with an update to change in weight. Update us sooner if you are having issues or if you have questions.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Just checking to make sure I do this right: no eating back exercise calories and gross intake of 1650 (not net)?

Thanks, will keep you updated! :)
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Correct
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Hey guys: just stopping in to update you.

2 week period

Start weight: 154.4
    Today's weight: 154.0

My weight came down in the first week but has sat without any changes at 154.0 for a week now. Still, half a pound off is good :D

I've decided for a few reasons to take a break from consistent logging - I'll be ensuring my exercise is still logged and I'll be loosely checking my intake but a couple of things have cropped up in the past week and I think for my sanity (and that of the people on my FL) it's time to take a small step out. I'm planning on sitting around maintainance for the next month or so (which I haven't done now in over a year) whilst keeping my workouts up.

I would really appreciate any advice for setting my goals when I come back into the game in one month's time: would you suggest staying at 1650 or dropping to 1600/1550?

I'm planning on coming back down to full deficit gradually, 100 calorie - from maintainance/week as I've found that the past two weeks have had me irrationally hungry.

Thanks again guys - I really appreciate the time you've put into reading and helping me and I know a lot of people share my opinon!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Hey guys: just stopping in to update you.

2 week period

Start weight: 154.4
    Today's weight: 154.0

My weight came down in the first week but has sat without any changes at 154.0 for a week now. Still, half a pound off is good :D

I've decided for a few reasons to take a break from consistent logging - I'll be ensuring my exercise is still logged and I'll be loosely checking my intake but a couple of things have cropped up in the past week and I think for my sanity (and that of the people on my FL) it's time to take a small step out. I'm planning on sitting around maintainance for the next month or so (which I haven't done now in over a year) whilst keeping my workouts up.

I would really appreciate any advice for setting my goals when I come back into the game in one month's time: would you suggest staying at 1650 or dropping to 1600/1550?

I'm planning on coming back down to full deficit gradually, 100 calorie - from maintainance/week as I've found that the past two weeks have had me irrationally hungry.

Thanks again guys - I really appreciate the time you've put into reading and helping me and I know a lot of people share my opinon!!

When you return to logging, feel free to PM one of us and at that point we can revisit this and see where you're at.
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Options
    Thank you :flowerforyou:

Happy festivities!!