Help to correct my forward lean on squat

Options
Iron_Feline
Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
Hi

Having videoed my squats both with and without weigh, it is clear I lean too far forward and the bar doesn't travel in a straight line.

Today I tried putting plates under my heels and this corrected the problem, no excessive lean and the bar travelled in a straight path. So clearly there is some underlying issue causing this. Research seems to suggest this is caused by tight calf muscles.

I was hoping you guys might be able to confirm this and suggest some exercises to help solve this problem and get me squatting with better form.

Many thanks. Iron.

Replies

• Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    IN for support.

Do we get to see the video?
  • da_bears10089
    da_bears10089 Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    Incorporating front squats into my routine has aided me tremendously in my back squat form.
  • jayliospecky
    jayliospecky Posts: 25,022 Member
    Options
    IN for support.

Do we get to see the video?

My question, as well.

Also in because squats and I think my issue is similar.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    Are you doing low bar or high bar?
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    In for video.

Also, if putting plates under your heels fixes the problem, why not just get some squat shoes? I got some Rogue Do-Wins, they are nice.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    High bar squats.

I'll find the link to my old YouTube video - that shows the forward lean.

I can't afford squat shoes ATM so I'm looking for ways to fix it cost free :bigsmile:
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    http://youtu.be/hVBSfr1F0RQ

Ok that's an old video but should show the problem.

I've fixed the issue of my heels coming up but not the lean forward.

You currently can't view it on mobiles sorry I'll fix that when I'm next on my computer.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Probably a matter of core strength. Lower the weight until you can do it in good form, then practice, practice, practice. Start doing planks and other core-centric exercises to get caught up.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Probably a matter of core strength. Lower the weight until you can do it in good form, then practice, practice, practice. Start doing planks and other core-centric exercises to get caught up.

I lean forward with no weight at all and already do planks etc.

If it was core strength why do the plates under my heels fix it?
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Could be overactive/tight calves, hip flexors, abdominals, could be weak spinal erectors, underactive anterior tibialis, underactive glutes, and it could be technical -- will watch video later today.

If the plates fix it, it would seem reasonable that squat shoes will also help.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    High bar squats.

I'll find the link to my old YouTube video - that shows the forward lean.

I can't afford squat shoes ATM so I'm looking for ways to fix it cost free :bigsmile:

Low bar "allows" you to lean forward. That's why I do it. I just feel better balanced that way. I've read that high and low are really just a matter of preference. When I watch your video it looks like you are doing lowbar but the bar is too high.

squats.jpg

http://journal.crossfit.com/2008/05/lowbar-vs-highbar-squats-by-ma.tpl
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Incorporating front squats into my routine has aided me tremendously in my back squat form.

Same, and I have a sweet front squat now.
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options

I lean forward with no weight at all and already do planks etc.

If it was core strength why do the plates under my heels fix it?
    Have you tried doing a squat while trying to keep your toes off the ground so you are keeping your weight back and concentrating on pushing through your heels? This helps me, I have form issues due to naturally carrying my weight forward on my foot and a weak core.

ETA: You do look like you are leaning too far forward. I had the same thing pointed out to me in my form check. My weight was over my toes, not the middle of my foot, at the bottom of the lift.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options
    Try getting into the squat position with no weight. Then trying lifting your toes off the ground. If you can do that, that's the correct weight distribution. You push through your heels, not your toes. It does look like you are leaning forward. You should imagine you are going to sit down in a chair. Or actually try box squats to get the feeling of leaning back a touch while starting the squat. I stick my butt out to "reach for the chair".

*Crap engineered beat me to it*
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I do now lift my toes off the ground I was having that problem in this vid but I fixed that. But I still lean forward.

In that vid I was carry the weight wrong but i sorted that. I've tried squatting back onto a bench I still lean forward.

I'll try to get a new vid so you can see the difference between feet flat and heels on plates.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    When you mean lean forward, do you mean folding? That might/might not be a problem.

But look forward to a new vid!
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    When you mean lean forward, do you mean folding? That might/might not be a problem.

But look forward to a new vid!

I don't know what you mean by folding. :embarassed:

All I know is that I lean forward and the bar doesn't travel in a straight path. Instead it ends up over my toes.
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    If you end up on your toes than you are shifting your weight forward onto your toes and no longer have the weight centered toward your heels.

Probably best to make another video

Here is a video I made for review. I don't lean forward but I do fold more than I'd like. I also don't bounce anymore.

http://youtu.be/Ej7jZ4dJsuU
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I don't end up on my toes but I still lean toward as seen in the video I posted.

But I will make new ones
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    When I look at your feet, I can see you transferring your weight from the heels, mid foot and then towards your toes on your way back up. IMHO of course.