Help to correct my forward lean on squat

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    When I look at your feet, I can see you transferring your weight from the heels, mid foot and then towards your toes on your way back up. IMHO of course.

As I said earlier and have repeated I fixed that issue and now keep my weight over my heels. That is no longer a problem and is not causing me to lean forward. This is an older video but shows the lean forward and path of the bar that is still an issue.

Please ignore the feet on this video. That issue has be fixed.

Edit: I appreciate you are trying to help but you are focusing on something that I have repeatedly said is no longer an issue.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    When I look at your feet, I can see you transferring your weight from the heels, mid foot and then towards your toes on your way back up. IMHO of course.

As I said earlier and have repeated I fixed that issue and now keep my weight over my heels. That is no longer a problem and is not causing me to lean forward. This is an older video but shows the lean forward and path of the bar that is still an issue.

Edit: I appreciate you are trying to help but you are focusing on something that I have repeatedly said is no longer an issue.

Can you upload a current video?
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Just throwing this out there to further muddy the waters... SS or Sara, feel free to delete/edit if I have no idea what I'm talking about.

This whole "bar traveling in a straight line" thing is, IMO, the ideal. Differences in bone structure, joint angles, mobility, etc will often lead to a certain degree of acceptable variance in the movement. Some things can be corrected, some can't. Clearly too much or certain types of variance can be bad, it's not always an issue if you aren't exactly at ideal.

I think we really need an updated/current vid of your lift to see what the problem is, if there even is one.
  • JeffseekingV
    JeffseekingV Posts: 3,165 Member
    Options

Agreed. Really need a new video. But there's only so many ways that you will lean forward. If it's not the toes than perhaps you are "folding" ie... bending over at the hips. That's the only other way that I can think of that would move the bar forward if your weight is maintained on your heels. One cause might be from the bottom of the lift, you raise your butt but the rest of your torso doesn't lift at the same time. That will make you bend over and "fold". Although I don't see how that would allow the bar to travel in a different line but it would sure feel like that was happening.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    So this is a vid from today - not a great one but I was just using this for my reference.

I don't have one of the squats with plates under my heels - I deleted it by accident :embarassed:

http://youtu.be/QeM-xQTaXHg

I've only just uploaded it so it may take a while before it shows - sorry for the delay - my phone has decided it no longer wants to upload to youtube :explode:
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    I think that squat is great. And yes, better than the first. I don't see you moving forward at all.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Ankles look better but the excessive forward lean is still problematic due to bar position. I'll try to watch again tonight and reply. Posting from phone at the moment.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Thanks guys - it's nice that there is some improvement, but that lean is still there damnit :grumble:
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Hmph. Very interesting video. I'm not 100% sure how to attack this one. Your first two squats looked pretty decent but yes you are clearly leaning forward quite a bit. Your next few squats go kinda down hill, you start stopping the squat way early (shy of depth) and then your torso sorta "falls" forward as a result. Thus multiplying the leaning effect.

Some things that came to mind that might help:

1) Slow down the squat. You are really dive bombing it. It's hard to see what's happening in the video (wish I had slo-mo) but it also may make it difficult for you to think about what you're doing. At least for now, try squatting for like a 3 count or a 5 count. As you drop you can think about your positioning and correct it as you go.

2) It's hard to tell but it looks like you've got the bar high up on the shoulders. A low bar squat might help move the weight back a bit and balance you better.

3) You're sticking your butt out, which is fine. But you might be sticking it out too far. This results in you having to lean forward to keep your balance. Then when you lean forward so far, you have to Good Morning the weight back up.

4) Maybe try shooting your knees forward a bit? This will coincide with your butt not sticking out so far. Force your knees out (to the sides) and forward at the same time.

5) Think about keeping your chest up. Pretend you're sticking out your chest so that someone can read what it says on the front. This may help cue a bit more upright stance.

6) I agree that some front squats or maybe even better, goblet squats might help cue you to sit up straighter. A goblet squat is basically a front squat but holding a single dumbbell in front of your chest. Same basic idea.

Sorry if I missed this comment, but have you tried heavier weights? Not always recommended but as an experiment, if you went heavy enough that you start to fail you might learn quickly how to position yourself for correct balance. You can get away with the heavy lean right now because the weight isn't heavy enough to challenge you. At some point you will not be able to get away with it though. Just another random thought.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    I was up to 30kg - but I dropped the weight back now I've started 5x5 - partly to try to correct this issue. I also struggle with heavier weights as the squat rack at my gym has fixed safety bars - and they are too high for me to go parallel without hitting them (short people problems) which make me nervous about failure.

The last few squats are weird as I was trying to correct the issue as I went along - that's why they aren't as deep - I was trying to stop the lean - but that threw off everything else. I was actually trying to keep my chest up - clearly not succeeding.

I have tried low bar - but it just doesn't feel comfortable and feels like it's going to slid off :ohwell:
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    So this is a vid from today - not a great one but I was just using this for my reference.

I don't have one of the squats with plates under my heels - I deleted it by accident :embarassed:

http://youtu.be/QeM-xQTaXHg

I've only just uploaded it so it may take a while before it shows - sorry for the delay - my phone has decided it no longer wants to upload to youtube :explode:
    Another thing I noticed, I can see you trying to keep your toes up, but as soon as you come down, your toes go down as the center of mass goes forward.

Agree with DopeitUp on slowing down the squat. Hard to concentrate on the movement and center of balance.when you are moving that quickly.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    My toes go down - but there is no weight on them, I just don't hold them up for the entire lift - not when I'm trying to concentrate on the lean issue.

I will try to slow my squats down next time I go - and I'll get a video of me squatting with heels on plates to show the difference.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    Tagging because I struggle with the same problem.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I would suggest one of two things:

1) try low bar - your body is in a low bar position but the bar in a high bar position

2) if you stick to high bar - push your butt out less and try to drop between your legs more. So down more than back. Often, when someone is leaning too far forward, their elbows go back - yours do not, and you seem to be keeping your chest up. You may want to try goblet squats to try to get into the habit of being more upright.

One thing I noticed on the early video - your knees are threatening to cave inwards. I would narrow your stance a little and focus on pushing your knees out if this is still happening.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

1) try low bar - your body is in a low bar position but the bar in a high bar position

2) if you stick to high bar - push your butt out less and try to drop between your legs more. So down more than back. Often, when someone is leaning too far forward, their elbows go back - yours do not, and you seem to be keeping your chest up. You may want to try goblet squats to try to get into the habit of being more upright.

One thing I noticed on the early video - your knees are threatening to cave inwards. I would narrow your stance a little and focus on pushing your knees out if this is still happening.

This would be my recommendation as well. There is nothing wrong with forward lean in the squat, but you bar position mimics that of a high bar. Therefore, the bar path is not in line with your ankles and it's actually in front of your toes if you pay attention to it. It throws you off balance.

If you're intent on sticking with a high bar position it is more of a "sit down" and opposed to a "sit back" as Sara said.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Thanks guys, I might try low bar next time. And I'll try the sitting down instead of back.

I fixed the knees moving in issue, little by little I'm fixing my squat thanks to everyone's help :flowerforyou:

I'll post more vids after my next session so I/you can see if there has been any improvement.
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

Great advice. She definitely looks like with a small adjustment, she could do a great lowbar squat.

I prefer lowbar, but your description of the different way of dropping/sitting for highbar is very helpful for me to understand the difference in the two (it's not JUST about where the bar sits). Thank you.
  • BusyRaeNOTBusty
    BusyRaeNOTBusty Posts: 7,166 Member
    Options
    I have tried low bar - but it just doesn't feel comfortable and feels like it's going to slid off :ohwell:

You will actually be leaning a little forward as you get the bar off the rack. Instead of thinking about holding it up on your back with your hands, pinch your shoulder blades together, think about bending the bar across your back, tighten your whole upper body including your core, then you start your squat.

I'm not sure if this helps, since you can't really see where the bar is due to the plate, but this is my video of a low bar squat:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzvT2u-JT7o
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    http://youtu.be/IasoI-UrW54

http://youtu.be/F_jyBXvucoA

Me again

So I put the advice into action and I think the squat is better. I tried to move my butt down rather than back and I think it's better.

I know my heels come up a bit I promise to get that back under control. I also didn't slow down as much as I wanted to but I only had 30mins to get my workout in before the gym closed. :ohwell:

I also posted a vid of me squatting with my heels in plates and the bar moved in a much straighter line I think.

Comments and suggestions please.

Also thank you to everyone who has commentated and posted vids I really appreciate your help :drinker:
  • JeffseekingV
    Options
    Have you tried a front squat? IMHO, any forward movement here would really be noticeable. Might help?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6Ed0EzTXW0