Blood Glucose Meters

Options

Replies

• bdubya55
    bdubya55 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    It's great you've found a lower cost alternative to supplement your One Touch strip needs Peloton. I was not aware Target offered the up & up brand of meter and strips. Good to know, thanks for sharing this info. It would be interesting to know how the two test results compare with your One Touch test results.

It's really a shame your local Walmart can't keep their strips in stock. Good luck with the up & up!
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I've tested 3 times with each meter side by side and they seem to be only a difference of 5 points off between each other (the One Touch is higher). I'm ok with that difference.
  • express1975
    express1975 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I have been using the CVS brand True Track meter. I bought it for $15 and there was a $15 rebate with it so it was free. And the strips are .56 each when you buy the 100 count. I also was able to buy strips on Amazon and they were a little cheaper. I'm sure there are better deals out there but happy with this one. I had a one touch ultra for a long time but the strips were expensive. Also, I used to have a small bottle of test solution to check accuracy of the meter. But I haven't been able to find it locally. If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    My primary meter is the One Touch Ultra. I get 50 test strips monthly for free.

I've been doing a lot more testing in the afternoons and evenings so I went and bought the Target brand meter (Up&Up) and a 100 test strips for $50 (for meter and strips). A box of 100 strips runs $36.00. It's not as cheap as the WalMart version but all the WalMarts near me never have them in stock and compared to $130 for 100 One Touch strips, it's a lot cheaper.

It's a little late for this but I get my Walmart Relion Strips by using Site-to-Store. I order them and pay for them online and they ship them to my local store (if they are in stock, they just pull them off the shelves). When ready for pick-up, I get them at the service counter. The longest I have had to wait for them was 4 days.
  • TelJanin
    TelJanin Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    prescribed/insurance is a... OneTouch Ultra 2. Had to pay for the meter itself, apparently my insurance doesn't cover the kit. Got 100 strips for 90 days of testing (covered by insurance). Strips for this one look like they are... ~ $155 for 100, maybe? (Before insurance) According to the docs, this one is a plasma glucose meter.

Because I'm an idiot tech head, I also picked up the only bluetooth meter I've seen that'll work with the Android - the iHealth BG5 (Wireless Smart Gluco-Monitoring System). This is a new meter - I think it came out just last year - but it's a whole blood glucose meter.. Weird. Strips here were considerably less expensive (50 for $12.50).

Strangely, in my (so far 2 or maybe 3) side by side tests so far... the iHealth has been reading 20 points higher than the OneTouch... given I'd expect a higher reading from the OneTouch since it's a plasma meter... seems odd. I'm just starting my great blood glucose testing experiment, should be interesting...
  • TelJanin
    Options
    (facepalm)
  • leanmachine514
    leanmachine514 Posts: 633 Member
    Options
    You just gave me an idea--Insurance only provides for once a day testing. I'd like to test more often to get a better picture of what's happening w/my bg. I have used freestyle lite ever since I was diagnosed pre-diabetic three years ago. I've only been diabetic for six months now. That's why I want to test more often. Don

OOPS! Got this w/o quote :laugh:
  • leanmachine514
    Options
    I have been using the CVS brand True Track meter. I bought it for $15 and there was a $15 rebate with it so it was free. And the strips are .56 each when you buy the 100 count. I also was able to buy strips on Amazon and they were a little cheaper. I'm sure there are better deals out there but happy with this one. I had a one touch ultra for a long time but the strips were expensive. Also, I used to have a small bottle of test solution to check accuracy of the meter. But I haven't been able to find it locally. If anyone knows where I can find it, please let me know.

You just gave me an idea--Insurance only provides for once a day testing. I'd like to test more often to get a better picture of what's happening w/my bg. I have used freestyle lite ever since I was diagnosed pre-diabetic three years ago. I've only been diabetic for six months now. That's why I want to test more often. Don
  • earlnabby
    Options

I got a Walmart meter for just that reason. My "official" once a day test is done on the Freestyle that my insurance pays for and I do other testing on the Relion. I have an Excel spreadsheet where I record all of my tests so I can take it to the doctor. They only download info from the Freestyle.

My doctor loves me. I come in with the spreadsheets plus I print out reports from MFP showing total calories, net calories, and carbs consumed for the previous 90 days.
  • express1975
    Options
    Honestly, I got tired of the runaround I was getting with my insurance, when it comes to strips and meters. As of this year the rules changed it became a hassle to get my strip scripts filled. And now that I am no longer diagnosed as diabetic, the insurance sees no need to cover any of the supplies. I use FSA account to pay for supplies.
  • TelJanin
    Options
    And now that I am no longer diagnosed as diabetic,

This is a thing? I was under the impression that it was a lifelong disease/condition once diagnosed.
  • express1975
    Options
    there's 2 types of diabetes, type 1 and 2. T1 is juvenile diabetes, kids are born with it and some are diagnosed as young as 2 yrs old. Those people have to manage it for a lifetime. T2 is what is called adult onset. It can be managed and controlled with diet, meds and exercise.
    For T2 people, checking blood sugar is a daily routine but the doctors look at you A1C number. That is what doctors look at to determine how well your diabetes is controlled. There are 3 levels of A1C numbers: normal, at risk for diabetes and diabetic.
    In my case, I did what I needed to do and my A1C numbers went from diabetic levels to at risk levels. And with that, the insurance diagnosis code changed and that triggered changes in coverage.
  • TelJanin
    Options
    there's 2 types of diabetes, type 1 and 2. T1 is juvenile diabetes, kids are born with it and some are diagnosed as young as 2 yrs old. Those people have to manage it for a lifetime. T2 is what is called adult onset. It can be managed and controlled with diet, meds and exercise.
    For T2 people, checking blood sugar is a daily routine but the doctors look at you A1C number. That is what doctors look at to determine how well your diabetes is controlled. There are 3 levels of A1C numbers: normal, at risk for diabetes and diabetic.
    In my case, I did what I needed to do and my A1C numbers went from diabetic levels to at risk levels. And with that, the insurance diagnosis code changed and that triggered changes in coverage.

Right, but even if your numbers come back into line, it's not like you magically don't have the same issue... at least, according to everything I've read on T2. *shrug* Once diagnosed, the diagnosis stays with you for life, because even if it's 'under control', it will eventually return / we have to remain vigilant.
  • cclepew
    cclepew Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I have two meters: a Onetouch Ultra Mini and a Relion Prime. I got the Onetouch through insurance, but the strips are too expensive, and I only get enough to test twice a day. I test a lot more than that, eating to my meter. So I got the Relion meter to use most of the time since the strips are so inexpensive. The Prime seems to read 10-20 points higher than the Onetouch, but it's consistent, so I trust it. I use the Onetouch pretty sparingly, mainly as a "second opinion" when I get an unexpected/weird reading on the Prime.
  • earlnabby
    Options
    In my case, I did what I needed to do and my A1C numbers went from diabetic levels to at risk levels. And with that, the insurance diagnosis code changed and that triggered changes in coverage]
    Right, but even if your numbers come back into line, it's not like you magically don't have the same issue... at least, according to everything I've read on T2. *shrug* Once diagnosed, the diagnosis stays with you for life, because even if it's 'under control', it will eventually return / we have to remain vigilant.

Remember though, in America the Insurance companies have a lot of power and if they say you are no longer diabetic, you are no longer diabetic. [insert sarcasm smiley here]
  • 4FamilyandGod
    4FamilyandGod Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My ex-husband has T2 and argued for a long time that because he wasn't on meds and was watching what he eats and exercises that he no longer has Diabetes. Then he ate one piece of cake one day and was about passed out on the couch from his sugar going so high. So yep, I agree. Once diagnosed, you will have to remain diligent in order to keep your levels under control! :)
  • TelJanin
    Options
    I just picked up an A1Cnow meter, for home A1c tests. Apparently the meter is limited in how many runs it can do / is paired with the strip inventory it comes with. Or something. Mine came with 20 strips, and it's diligently counting down saying it has 19 tests left.

Will report on how I think it's working (and once I can double-check it against labs)
  • jdlane3212
    jdlane3212 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I use the A1CNow just prior to my lab work (just to prepare myself for what's coming). I've found it to be a few points on the low side from the lab (i.e. A1Cnow at 7.8, lab work 8.1). I've only seen the two test kits though, and didn't realize that they had a 20 test kit. I'll look for that one.

As far as meters go, I used the Walmart Relion Ultra for a long time, until I compared it against my ACCU-Chek meter, and realized that my Relion was consistently 30 points higher than the name brand. I got a new meter from my doctor (One touch Ultra mini) which was more in line with the Accucheck, and my insurance covers those strips, so I'm staying with the new one. But the difference between the Relion and the name brands doesn't seem to follow with the plasma vs whole blood.
  • Jewels211
    Jewels211 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    My prescription/what insurance would authorize/whatever is a NIPRO TRUEresult. It came with a rebate that makes it free (fingers crossed that I jumped thru all the hoops correctly to make that happen). It came with 10 test strips and my prescription was also for more, so those were filled with Relion strips, which I hope is okay, since the front of the TRUEresult booklet says Use only with TRUEtest strips. :\ Evidently there is Glucose Control Solution that you can buy and use to test the accuracy of your meter. I didn't get that. Don't know if I should have?
  • leanmachine514
    Options
    GM Changed insurance and got a new meter to test daily. I took a test back to back with my old meter & my new meter=15 point difference. (Old Freestyle lite=133, while NEW meter OneTouch Verio IQ=148) Tested same hand different fingers. Any idea why there's a difference??