Blood Glucose Meters

Options

Replies

• AarchAngel
    AarchAngel Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I use Bayer contour next, love that I can log insulin and carbs as well and hook up to pc usb and print out weeks worth and give it to my Dr. Very accurate, no more than 5 points either way in multiple tests.
  • zcb94
    zcb94 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    sandign wrote: »
    I've been using the Bayer Contour Next and forgot to order more strips. So I bought the ReliOn model and boy is it high and all over the place. The strips asre reasonable but I persoanlly think the accuracy is way off on mine. I can take it 3 times in 15 minutes and it goes from 98 to 124 to 110. Not just once but several times.

I order my Bayer stips on Amazon because they are less than 1/3 of the price from other places. I can't wait for them to arrive and this time I've been sure that I have enough.

Also going to try and find some control solution for the ReliOn to check it out. My local Walmart did not have any. Go figure.

Wish my ticker would start working again.
    Thanks for the tip. I too ran out of Bayer Contournext strips and switched to an Accucheck Compact Plus. This brings me to my questions: I hear that Alternate Site Tests hurt less, but how do I know if I have an AST safe meter? Where on the arm do I do one? My last attempt produced no blood but gave me a round pink scar, as shown below:
    t22pt09w1t62.jpg
    What did I do wrong?
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    I've just recently got a new blood glucose meter (CVS Advanced--$18 for the meter, $23 for 100 test strips) to replace my old FreeStyle Freedom Lite meter that's several years old. Since I had both meters and a lab blood test coming up, I decided to do a comparison by taking my blood sugar measurements 4 times with each meter immediately after my blood was taken for the lab test (i.e. each finger got "poked" with a lancet in 2 different locations). Those results are below:

FreeStyle Freedom Lite meter readings: 85, 105, 99 & 97 (average 96.5).
    CVS Advanced meter readings: 101, 101, 100 & 99 (average 100.25).
    Lab reading: 96.

So, my new meter (CVS Advanced) is about 4 mg/dL higher than the reading from the lab (& seems more consistent) but both meters are well within the 15% accuracy requirement to the lab measurement.

One reason I decided to change to the CVS Advanced glucose meter (rather than stick with my old one) was because of the "meal tagging" feature it has. This feature lets me "tag" (i.e. mark) each meter reading with a "meal tag" for pre-breakfast, post-breakfast, pre-lunch, post-lunch, pre-dinner, post-dinner or bedtime and provides "meal tag" 14-day averages (& standard deviations) for each of those "tag groups" making it very easy to keep track of how my pre-meal & post-meal glucose readings are doing. The other reason I switched to the CVS Advanced meter is the much cheaper cost of the test strips (CVS online store has had these on sale for as low as $0.16 per test strip).
  • Crazycatladytracey
    Options
    I was using one touch vita for 5 years and last month my new diabetes nurse changed it to one touch Verio. Now I get a letter telling me that the hospital have changed the meters for a lot of people including mine. I'm now using Braun meter but all results are high. Checked using the Verio and results are way out. Told my dr and he says to stick with the Braun meter.
  • wilvoeka
    wilvoeka Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    scubasuenc wrote: »

I was at a Diabetes Fair this week and spoke to one of the reps from one of the manufacturers. She said that most of the store brand generic meters measure whole blood glucose while the name brand meters measure plasma glucose. She said plasma glucose levels are closer to what you would get in a lab test. I didn't realize there were two measuring methods that yielded different results.

ALL home meters measure whole blood, some brands calibrate them to show results as if they were plasma readings(ie about 10 points higher).

Since I don't use insulin I am not overly concerned with precision accuracy(I am more concerned with averages over time). I have 3 meters. A One Touch Vario that the doctor gave me, and the insurance pays for test strips(50 a month), a Relion Prime because the strips are only $9 per 50, and a TRUEresult the pharmacist a Walgreens gave me for free and I keep using it because it was tested as the most consistent meter on the market, and strips from amazon are $30 for 200.
  • melissa7662
    melissa7662 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    My meter showed 141 and the Dr office showed 168. Same site (enough blood for both samples).

This just blows my mind.

I use the one touch ultra 2 and now have no idea if I should trust it.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    My meter showed 141 and the Dr office showed 168. Same site (enough blood for both samples).

This just blows my mind.

I use the one touch ultra 2 and now have no idea if I should trust it.

That's not bad--especially if your Dr's office was also using a hand-held meter to get that 168 value rather than from a
    blood test (i.e. where they fill up a tube of blood).

Most hand-held meters are only accurate to +/- 20% and those readings are within that--some meters specify their accuracy at +/- 15% of
    what is obtained from a lab blood draw (i.e. fill a tube).

I'll admit that it "blows my mind" too when I take multiple readings (say 3 to 5, one right after the other) and see a +/- 15% variation, especially
    when my blood sugars were coming in at around 200 mg/dL with the meter ranging from 170-230 mg/dL & having to accept that with
    today's blood glucose meters--I would have expected those devices to be accurate to +/- 5% or at least +/- 10%, especially for diabetics
    who are injecting fast-acting (i.e. Humalog) insulin with each meal.
  • RainaProske
    RainaProske Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    I am new to taking care of my diabetes 2, so much of what I read here is very informative and appreciated! My meter is the One Touch VerioIQ.
  • sheilaparsleyministries
    Options
    I'm using the Walgreens Meter
  • liznotyet
    liznotyet Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    thanks for posting this. I use the Verio and got one finger at 92 then another at 116 this morning. I had no idea they could be so variable.
  • Arleen316
    Arleen316 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Has anyone tried the Dario tester that is supposed to connect to your iPhone? Looks interesting, but I can't find the app that goes with it in the App Store- wanted to read reviews.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    Arleen316 wrote: »
    Has anyone tried the Dario tester that is supposed to connect to your iPhone? Looks interesting, but I can't find the app that goes with it in the App Store- wanted to read reviews.

I just googled the dario system and that is really cool!! I'm lucky that my insurance covers my testing supplies, but the price point for this is pretty awesome if you don't have good insurance coverage.
  • EdinTx
    EdinTx Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I use the iHealth BG5. It's paired with my phone. It works well for me and I haven't had a problem with it. Testing and taking readings throughout the day is still new to me. I'm still trying to figure out how I feel and comparing that to my blood glucose level. I'm noticing that when I feel really jittery, but low energy, my level is too low. It usually happens before lunch or late afternoon. I've had readings in the 50s when I've felt the shakes. Sometimes, it comes on without warning and it happens quickly. Does that happen to anyone else?
  • anewken
    anewken Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yes. I have to be careful that it doesn't hit me during a workout at the gym. Over the years I've learned to recognize the feelings when my bg is low 80s or high 70s. I will stop what I am doing to take a measurement to confirm and then eat something to boost my bg. This is what just happened. I am mid workout.
  • ConleighS
    ConleighS Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Here's a question. Other than buying multiple meters is there a way to recalibrate a meter to make sure it is reading correctly?
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    ConleighS wrote: »
    Here's a question. Other than buying multiple meters is there a way to recalibrate a meter to make sure it is reading correctly?

Some meters have a "control solution" available. My CVS Advanced meter had this available (from Amazon, I think) to verify that it's still calibrated but if it's not, there's nothing that can be done except to replace the meter.

Other that that, I think the best thing to do is to take your meter along to the Dr's office when they do your next blood draw for the lab blood test and at that time, take 3 to 5 readings with your own meter and average them and compare that average with what your Dr's lab gets. For example, My CVS Advanced meter averages a bit high (5%-10%) compared to what my Dr's office get back from their lab.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Using Bayer Contour next, I buy my strips from Amazon since they are cheaper there. My A1c seems to suggest it's about right or possibly a little high. I check using testing solution every time I open a new batch of strips.

In fact I have two of the exact same meter, so that I can leave one in my purse, and if I get a reading that seems unlikely I can check one against the other. For example I got a 22 the other day which seems to have been a bad strip - second test was 88, 2nd meter read 91. The two meters have never been more than a few points off from each other.

I have also gotten very high readings when the meter was left in my purse in the car - it was only about 80 degrees outside and the meter did not seem hot to the touch but apparently it was hot enough to affect accuracy. Checked against testing solution (which has a range from 117 to 138) and it read 170 something. So, be aware this meter is not accurate when it's too warm.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Using Bayer Contour next, I buy my strips from Amazon since they are cheaper there. My A1c seems to suggest it's about right or possibly a little high. I check using testing solution every time I open a new batch of strips.

In fact I have two of the exact same meter, so that I can leave one in my purse, and if I get a reading that seems unlikely I can check one against the other. For example I got a 22 the other day which seems to have been a bad strip - second test was 88, 2nd meter read 91. The two meters have never been more than a few points off from each other.

I have also gotten very high readings when the meter was left in my purse in the car - it was only about 80 degrees outside and the meter did not seem hot to the touch but apparently it was hot enough to affect accuracy. Checked against testing solution (which has a range from 117 to 138) and it read 170 something. So, be aware this meter is not accurate when it's too warm.

I'm with you all the way - great meter! I have four (got 2 free from my endo), and they're always quite close using the same strips from the same sample.

But be sure to get the Contour NEXT (not the plain old Contour, which is inconsistent and no cheaper).

PS I believe most meters have an "accurate" temperature range buried somewhere in the microtype in the package insert.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    18 Glucose Meters Reviewed

https://www.diabetestechnology.org/surveillance.shtml

The majority received an unsatisfactory rating.

Of the 2 Walmart Relion models, 1 passed (Relion Confirm) and failed (Relion Prime).

The top score went to Bayer's Contour Next (but the previous model, Contour, failed).
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    18 Glucose Meters Reviewed

https://www.diabetestechnology.org/surveillance.shtml

The majority received an unsatisfactory rating.

Of the 2 Walmart Relion models, 1 passed (Relion Confirm) and failed (Relion Prime).

The top score went to Bayer's Contour Next (but the previous model, Contour, failed).

Thank you for posting this I was going to Google this after a couple meters were mentioned on the A1C thread. I've been using the One Touch Ultra for many years, no particular reason other than it's the brand I started with. Apparently with the most expensive strips.. :#

You made my search much quicker :laugh: Thanks again @RalfLott Can't wait to look up the meter I've been using all these years One Touch just to see how far to the bottom it might be. :o

Both of the ones you shared were the ones discussed in the A1C thread so now I'm even more interested.