No Impact

Low- and no-impact workouts are great for plus-sized people, people with joint problems, or people who simply can’t do high-impact workouts. This workout works your entire body without straining your joints!

1ee1e142-175b-403f-bbc2-eb72cfdf9525_zps23721736.png

Replies

• airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    This one will work for me since I have bad knees and a ****ty left hip.

Can I start it in March?

Need to do some research on some of the items to figure out how to do them.:laugh:
  • Not_Left_Handed
    Not_Left_Handed Posts: 35 Member
    You can start whenever you want. No set start date :) Glad this one actually got interest - I wanted to put something like this on here for those that do have bad joints .. I know even for myself, my knee acts up at times.
  • PaulaKro
    PaulaKro Posts: 5,760 Member
    Bowler, I'm not going to do this one, but thought you might find that PLIE squats hurt less. You can find them on YouTube. (I have bad knees too.)
  • grdnr03
    grdnr03 Posts: 547 Member
    gonna try this also
  • grdnr03
    Day 1 complete (no squats cause I did some already)

had to look up most of these // had a sweat going on!
  • zumbaforever
    zumbaforever Posts: 6,999 Member
    Day 1 complete (no squats cause I did some already)

had to look up most of these // had a sweat going on!

Carmen we do the jazz square steps in my zumba class. You can really add some hips and arm movement's. Make this step fun. :) I did not know the step I had been doing for so long actually has a name. And it is jazz. Hey I am a jazz dancer! Bwahahaha.

Shelley
  • grdnr03
    Day 2 done no squats but I am doing the sumo squats. Today was not as graceful as yesterday? yes I feel my muscles (sore) hahaha
  • zumbaforever
    Day 2 done no squats but I am doing the sumo squats. Today was not as graceful as yesterday? yes I feel my muscles (sore) hahaha

Can you do planks? The plank challenge is more active than this one. You could do both. Or just sneak on and visit us. :flowerforyou:

Shelley
  • grdnr03
    Hi Shelley, I'm playing around with the planks, i'll take a look. Some of these moves I'm doing twice or adding reps to, for ex the bird-dog I'm holding each side 8 to 10 seconds before moving on to the next move, side lunges im doing 10 on each side.
    Love your new pic what type of fish is it and how big?
    Shoveled snow already @ 4 to 5 inches and prob getting more later this week blah!!

Thanks Carmen
  • jennyrebekka
    jennyrebekka Posts: 626 Member
    Hi...I am new to the group.....came to you via sweetie pie Johnny Resets.
    I am near 300 lbs currently, so I think no-impact is right up my alley. I will look up the moves, as I am not familiar with what a lot of them are - - but I am READY TO GO!
    Thanks for thinking of us bigger girls and those with joint issues, too!
    -jenny
  • grdnr03
    Day 3 complete
  • zumbaforever
    Carmen we had alot of snow over the weekend also. But I worked out while hubby turned on the snow blower and took care of it. :bigsmile: Great job modifying where you can. :happy: I hate lunges. I try and convince myself otherwise. But unless the music is good, they bore me to tears. But they say they are good for your legs! :laugh:

The fish is named Draco. He is a Mandarin Dragonette. A type of goby. He is about four inches I am guessing. I have had him almost two years. I know a store owner who had one about 17 years in his display tank. I am hoping my little guy is so lucky. If you look at my pictures you will see two of his tank mates. They are Premium Snowflake Clownfish. I call them Jack and Jill. :smooched:

Jenny, you are friends with Johnny! Way to go. Johnny is a great guy. One of my first friends here. Well when I was still accepting friends. Keep moving and have fun. :drinker:

Shelley
  • grdnr03
    completed, not doing wall push offs don't like them, reverse plank is challenging but I can do it.
  • CRody44
    CRody44 Posts: 776 Member
    I haven't been able to exercise this month per doctor's orders but I am clear to go again Thursday. I assume these are to be done every day in March?

I will modify the deep knee exercises since I have had a total knee replacement. I'll catch up the first five days over next week.

Chuck
  • zumbaforever
    I haven't been able to exercise this month per doctor's orders but I am clear to go again Thursday. I assume these are to be done every day in March?

I will modify the deep knee exercises since I have had a total knee replacement. I'll catch up the first five days over next week.

Chuck

If you must modify them, turn them into push-ups! :laugh:

Shelley
  • CRody44
    "If you must modify them, turn them into push-ups! :laugh:

Shelley"

I don't think so. Il just won't go all they way down on squats and lunges. Homey don't do pushups!
  • grdnr03
    @Shelley I just realized you were talking about the wall push offs~ duh, yeah still don' like them, just doing the guns, buns and abs ones
  • grdnr03
    Day 5 complete
  • CRody44
    Grdnr03,

It looks like you are the only one doing this, or at least the only one logging. Hang in there. I haven’t been able to exercise this last week but the doctor has cleared me to start exercising tomorrow so I’ll join you then. If you would like, we can be partners and give each other encouragement, or if that doesn’t work, we can shame each other.

Chuck
  • zumbaforever
    @Shelley I just realized you were talking about the wall push offs~ duh, yeah still don' like them, just doing the guns, buns and abs ones

No, I rarely ever recommend wall push-ups, it was planks I believe. Chuck is the homey who will not do pushups. :blushing: But as long as you are both trying, you are doing it. :drinker:

Shelley
  • CRody44
    I did the challenge twice today since I have five days to make up.

Day 1 and Day 6 completed.

Shelley, I can do wall push-offs because most of my weight in still on my feet. With floor pushups, I'm pushing 265 pounds, Ainta gonna do it.

Chuck
  • zumbaforever
    I did the challenge twice today since I have five days to make up.

Day 1 and Day 6 completed.

Shelley, I can do wall push-offs because most of my weight in still on my feet. With floor pushups, I'm pushing 265 pounds, Ainta gonna do it.

Chuck

Chuck

I think you could start with dumbbells or a bar for now. Or counter pushups, more resistance than wall ones. Lol. Glad you are catching up.

Shelley
  • grdnr03
    Day 6 done

@Chuck, I'll do my best.

Carmen
  • PaulaKro
    I will modify the deep knee exercises since I have had a total knee replacement. I'll catch up the first five days over next week. Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

I'm in line for replacement(s) in the next year or so. How is that working for you?!?

I can walk fine now (but not stairs/hills well). I can't get on my knees either. The surgeon said I won't be able to get on my knees afterwards either. It makes me wonder what the advantage is?

- Paula
  • CRody44
    Paula,

If I had known the outcome of the knee replacement I would have had it done hears earlier rather than go through the pain. It works better than my other knee that I have never had a problem with.

My physical therapist took no prisoners. She told me that the more I do my exercises at home, the less she has to bend me like a pretzel. I did my leg exercises three or four times a day and pushed myself.. I think that is why I am so mobile today. I can straighten my leg to 180 degrees and bend it greater than 90 degrees. The doctor said no squats, squat thrust, lunges, rowing with leg movement, leg presses, box jumps, bicycling up a hill, almost anything that will put stress on the knee when it is bent.

The worst part was the pain for about two weeks after surgery. I set my watch to go off every four hours so I could take my oxycodone. After that, I didn’t need anything until I was going to physical therapy. Then I took some to get me through. But now, it is all worth the pain.

It took me a full year to recuperate. I thought I was fully recovered at about nine months but I realized I didn’t walk up the stairs without holding on to the banister. At about a year, I was running up and down stairs with no help from the banister.

When I do exercises where I am on my knees, I use volley ball knee pads and there is no pain at all. Before that, the pain wasn’t internally, but the kneecap being squashed between the metal and the floor.

This evening, I have no pain in my knee from the exercises but my crotch muscles hurt from the Sumo squats.

When you start your physical therapy, I’ll give you a few hints that will make your knee come around quicker.

Chuck
  • PaulaKro
    The doctor said no squats, squat thrust, lunges, rowing with leg movement, leg presses, box jumps, bicycling up a hill, almost anything that will put stress on the knee when it is bent.

This evening, I have no pain in my knee from the exercises but my crotch muscles hurt from the Sumo squats.
    So Chuck,

Why are you doing sumo squats if squats are something the doctor said "no" to? Was the "no" list only while the knee was healing?

I'm afraid of never being able to do any of that stuff ever again. And I'd rather keep my shiddy knees that can kind-of do them, than trade them in for good knees that can't.

Also, isn't running up stairs another form of putting stress on bent knees? That's what I can't do them now.

Very confused. Can you help (again)?

Thanks!
    Paula
  • CRody44
    Dear Confused,

To be precise, on my squats and lunges, I’m only going down to about a 45 degree angle.

Running up and down the stairs was a figure of speech. To be more precise, I could go up and down the stairs at a normal pace without using any assistance.

The restrictions were all the time, not just when healing, but like I said, I drop to a 45 rather than a 90 degree angle. Also, I forgot to add, no running. I think the restrictions are so you don’t wear it out prematurely, not that you’ll rip it out, but you better check on that.

Before making a decision not to have it done, talk to your doctor, don’t use me as an expert. I would still have it done.

Chuck
  • grdnr03
    Day 7 done
  • CRody44
    Day 2 and Day 7 done, still catching up.
  • zumbaforever
    Just checking up on my favorite peeps. You are all rocking!

Have a great weekend!

Shelley