SilentDrapeRunners Log

Options

Replies

• SilentDrapeRunners
    SilentDrapeRunners Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah, I'm very happy with the progress I've made thus far. And I want to continue to make progress (and not lose my gains), so hopefully increasing my calories a bit will help.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Ugh, so I had been gaining pretty well for the month of May, but today I weighed in at 107 lbs :( Not really sure why either, other than normal fluctuations. Last week I ate out more than usual, so if anything I was thinking my weight would keep going up. In any case, I'm increasing to 2200.

We've already messaged about this, and you said your overall trend in weight is going up. Every now and then you might have an outlier. But as long as your average keeps increasing then you're making progress. Doesn't hurt to increase to 2200 however because MOAR FOODZ! :)
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    My weight gain has kind of stalled (only gained about a lb over the month of May). I also want to really gain more strength and really hit some new higher PR's (I have been progressing in terms of adding more reps or more weight, but it's been really slooow). So I'm going to move it up to 2300 calories. Going to need a lot more ice cream. The thing about bulking is that it's really lowered my appetite, because I have to eat so much every single day. Prior to bulking, my appetite was halfway decent, and I used to love vegetables. But now, most of the time, I don't want to even look at a vegetable. Which is bad, because I do think eating healthy, whole foods is important for the micronutrients (and I just feel better all around). But now, I only have an appetite for cake and ice cream! (I don't think that will ever change no matter how much I increase my calories). I've always been the girl who could 'force down' a dessert after a huge dinner (actually I think most girls can do that whether they admit it or not). It seems like most men don't have anywhere near the sweet tooth that most women have.

So ANYWAY, I really don't want my diet to turn into ice cream and protein shakes, so I've been trying to eat my veggies at times of the day when I'm most hungry. Frozen veggies that are cooked are also more appetizing than a big salad (and I used to love salads!) :sad: Maybe others can relate? lol
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Also, not sure if I mentioned this before, but I'm currently not doing any cardio (stopped doing cardio end of April).
  • jadebuilding
    jadebuilding Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Your arms look amazing in the post recent pics!!! Nice work!
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Your arms look amazing in the post recent pics!!! Nice work!

Thanks!
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Reached 110 lbs! I've been doing a lot of debating on where I should go from here. Originally my goal was to hit 110 lbs. and just maintain for a while. But I'm thinking that I need to bulk some more. Ideally I want to decrease my BF%, and in order to do that, I need to lose fat (and weight). But I can't really cut at only 110 lbs. And if I just maintain that could take a reeealllly long time to get to where I need to be to cut. So I'm thinking I need to bulk to 120 lbs. Which means, if I continue my slowish 1-2 lb. a month bulk, I'm going to be bulking until December. Uggggghhh. That's a hard truth to swallow. But I don't really see any way around it.

I am kind of worried about my BF% getting too high during this time of putting on close to 20 lbs. Is there a limit to how much you should put on during a bulk so as to not let your BF% get too high and thus be counterproductive? And when I go to cut in January, how much BF can I reasonably expect to lose? Basically I don't want to do a year long bulk if it means I just pack on a bunch of fat that I can't get rid of. I'm not exactly sure what my exact BF% currently is (and I'm not terribly concerned either). But I don't want to pack on so much that my BF% gets too high to the point where it's unproductive and unhealthy.

All in all, I think my bulk has gone pretty well thus far. I've gotten stronger and progressed in my lifts. I've definitely put on some muscle (and some fat), but I don't think it's too much fat. But I am worried that another 10 lbs. could be too much fat.

When I think about the fact that I've gained 10 lbs. (and I'm going to gain another 10), I think it's pretty insane. And I do question my sanity at times :tongue: But I take comfort in the fact that many of you on here have bulked before, and you all seem pretty sane to me. And I do appreciate the advice and support, because I really haven't gotten any support from the 'outside world.' I imagine I'll get more support come January when my chubby self wants to lose 10 lbs.- 'slim down and tone up' :tongue:
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Actually now I'm rethinking the bulking to 120 lbs. I'm thinking that if I do that, my BF% is going to go up too much. And I've read that as body fat levels rise significantly, insulin resistance drops, and ability to burn fat decreases. And this would also impair muscle growth, which is something I definitely don't want to do. I think bulking is good to a degree (and some amount of fat gain is inevitable), but I think there's a point where it becomes excessive if it's done for too long continuously. I know I'm in a somewhat unique situation because I need to put on more weight, but not more fat. Not sure what to do....any insight from anyone who's bulked longer than 6 months??
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Not sure if my advice is any good, not having bulked more than 6 months but from your pics, I'd say you should go for it. It looks like you've made great gains in a month and your bf% still looks pretty low.

You could continue to bulk with the proviso that if you start to feel uncomfortable you could stop. Everything I read before starting advised against bulking over 24% and, with hindsight, i should have paid more attention to that (I'm sitting at over 30% though) but I'm still pretty happy with the strength gains I got from it.

I've noticed a pattern of people (around aboutish your weight) regretting not having stuck it out more. I totally understand not wanting to add too much fat but if you keep an eye on your measurements I think you could keep going a bit longer :)
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    Not sure if my advice is any good, not having bulked more than 6 months but from your pics, I'd say you should go for it. It looks like you've made great gains in a month and your bf% still looks pretty low.

You could continue to bulk with the proviso that if you start to feel uncomfortable you could stop. Everything I read before starting advised against bulking over 24% and, with hindsight, i should have paid more attention to that (I'm sitting at over 30% though) but I'm still pretty happy with the strength gains I got from it.

I've noticed a pattern of people (around aboutish your weight) regretting not having stuck it out more. I totally understand not wanting to add too much fat but if you keep an eye on your measurements I think you could keep going a bit longer :)

*Like* :wink:
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Thanks guys! I definitely understand and agree with what you're saying. I took more pics yesterday, and my BF has definitely increased. Let's just say that if I were to post the pics of my behind, they might get flagged for indecent exposure, lol. The pics from April are definitely my best by far. I also did some investigation to try and figure out the lean gains I've been making, and it looks like they started to taper off in april. I think what's happening is I made some great lean gains initially, but now my fat gains are really catching up and starting to take over, so to speak. Increased fat can also increase inflammation, and I've noticed my stress and skin have gotten worse over the past couple weeks (definitely can't say it's because of my increased fat gains though, could just be correlation, not causation).

In any case, I don't want to lose weight just yet, so I think I'll just maintain/recomp for a bit (this was my original plan anyway- to do bulking/maintenance cycles). Even though I'd like to bulk up fast just so I can get the weight on, I have to be realistic. I would like to pack on LBM fast, but I have to be realistic about what my body can handle.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Progress update! I ended my bulk back in June, maintained until end of July and then did a cut end of July-now. Gained 10 lbs during the bulk and lost 7 during the cut. The lowest I had to go calorie wise was 1500, so I was pretty happy about that. I don't think I lost much muscle and my workouts really didn't suffer too much. Although the past couple weeks I've been pretty fatigued and I'm starting to notice my workouts start to suffer. So I'm thinking I'm going to maintain for Oct. and then start up another bulk in Nov. I'm excited about that, because I'm looking forward to putting on some more LBM!

MFLSS2_zps4043e17f.jpg

MFLSSback2_zps287b6735.jpg

join_zps03da6a18.jpeg
  • aubyshortcake
    aubyshortcake Posts: 796 Member
    Options
    you look SOOOOOOOO good!! I wanted to bulk over the winter but I've put on a little fluff, so I'm not sure when I'll be ready. Your results are AWESOME! Your post bulk stomach is way more defined than my haven't-even-bulked-yet stomach lol
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    you look SOOOOOOOO good!! I wanted to bulk over the winter but I've put on a little fluff, so I'm not sure when I'll be ready. Your results are AWESOME! Your post bulk stomach is way more defined than my haven't-even-bulked-yet stomach lol

Thanks! I didn't have any definition anywhere before I bulked- pretty much just skin and fat. The bulk was crucial in order for me to put on muscle- so I highly recommend bulking! And I was worried about losing all my muscle during the cut, but I don't think I lost much at all.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Fabulous results! You look amazing, well done on all the hard work :)
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Fabulous results! You look amazing, well done on all the hard work :)

Thanks! Yeah it was hard work for sure, but I just kept thinking 'gotta get thru the cut so I can put on some more muscles!'
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    That is a really exciting result! You've got me all fired up again about bulking. Woohoo!!

Well done!

Edited to say.....COOL LEGS!
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    WOW amazing!! You look soo fantastic!

I am still hesitant about bulking but seeing your results is making me feel so much better about it all :)
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Thanks guys! Yeah I highly recommend bulking. For example, I have this pair of jeans I ordered back in Jan and wasn't sure if they would fit or not. They didn't fit at all- way too tight. But I kept them anyways. Then I tried them on again last week and they fit perfectly...and I'm 3 lbs heavier than I was in Jan.!

Bulking is definitely challenging mentally. Even though my first bulk-cut cycle was a success, I'm still somewhat hesitant for starting bulk #2 in November. Because it definitely is a mind game- you have to be mentally ready to make the scale go up. I just keep telling myself that putting on more mass is the best thing to do health-wise (and also aesthetic-wise in the long run). I also want to make progress in my lifts (which I obviously haven't been able to do while cutting). It's crazy how much progress you can make while bulking. The extra carbs really do add fuel to the workouts.
  • SilentDrapeRunners
    Options
    Reverse dieting my way back to bulking. Definitely enjoying the extra strength. Although I have a feeling that bulk #2 may be somewhat more mentally challenging then bulk #1. Mainly because I got pretty lean at the end of this cut (the leanest I've ever been before in my life). Not the lowest weight, but the leanest. And I like feeling lean and light...I hate feeling flabby and bloated. But I really do want to add strength and muscle, so bulking is the way to go. It's just going to be a slow and steady bulk. I'm not worried about veering off course, I'm just dreading the times I know I'm going to be gritting my teeth through the gaining process. But I think transitioning is the hardest part- just like transitioning to cutting was difficult. But there comes a point where you know you've gone as far as you can for that bulk or cut, and the best thing to do is transition back. To continue cutting at this point would just be counterproductive for my fitness and health goals (just like if I would have continued on with bulking back in June).

So now it's time to get back to bulking! It'll be slow and steady- I've been increasing 100 cals per week and I'm at 1700 now. The weight loss looks like it's tapering off, so I'm likely close to the bottom of maintenance range. I'm going to hang out at 1700 cals for this upcoming week just for good measure.