Keto Women: Cycle Issues?

Options
13»

Replies

• reizechan
    reizechan Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm on Yasmin so I don't know if that blocks me from cycle altering, but when I'm on Keto (getting back on today/tomorrow since the day started rough!) my cycle is the same, maybe a little heavier in the beginning then usual. Anyone on any other type of birth control notice any changes?
  • captaintoujours
    Options
    I'm on the pill and I kid you not, I have had 3 periods the past 30 days.
    Keto and birth control together for me has been hell- I've used up every tampon and pad I could find.

But yeah, I had my period a week early~ before the placebo pills were supposed to be taken. Went the full 6 days. Then a week of nothing but then a second period started- lasting another 6 days. Then a week and a half of nothing and then a 3rd period started so I doubled up on pills just to get it to stop.

Ran out of pills so it started again but thankfully only lasted 2 days. Now I'm just slightly spotting and completely out of birth control pills.

I once tried out having the shot (before I started eating keto, this was a year ago) but THAT made me have a single period that lasted 2 months. (60. days. ohgod.)
    I think I've just got an extremely horrid cycle and birth control just doesn't agree with me on any level. Ever. I'm more irregular than my 13 year old sister..
    sobsobsob.
  • Booksandbeaches
    Booksandbeaches Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    There are probably a lot of terrified males ignoring this thread's existence.

:laugh:

I think you're right. It would take a brave and curious male to venture into this womanly topic.
  • GrammarNerd
    GrammarNerd Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been like clockwork for years I actually have about 4 years of period data and there have been exactly two that were off, and only by a few days each time. I even had an IUD inserted over a year ago and my cycle didn't change at all.

I started keto at the beginning of February and my periods have been like two weeks long and sometimes up to a week late lately. I'm quite frustrated, needless to say.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I've been keto since last May & my periods are incredibly heavy and last 3-4 days. This is in stark contrast to what it used to be like, starting slow & increasing to moderate, but lasting 7-10 days with uncomfortable cramps (before and during), irritability, etc.

Now, there are no cramps whatsoever & the only warning I get is the calendar. I'm going to be 46 this year so not really sure if it's my age, keto or fairly recent T2D dx (which precipitated keto diet) that caused this goofy change.
  • lrodriguez922002
    Options
    For 5 years I've had an Implanon contraceptive implant and have had one or two light periods a year, at totally unpredictable times (although I generally get a headache the night before as a sign its coming). So basically I just don't think about it or factor it into anything. I started keto a bit over three weeks ago - totally coincidentally the day I got a period.

I also started my period again today, so twice in three weeks after several years of maybe having two a year. Of course this is a tiny sample, correlation does not equal causation and may very well mean nothing at all, but I'll be interested to see what happens as I continue with keto.

I have the same birthcontrol and since i got it in november i have only gotten spotting no biggy. Its never even been heavy enough to wear a light pad it just comes and goes like nothing. I also havn't gotten any cramps but im a week into my diet and i've got cramps and had to get pads for the first time in a while.

I thought it was something with my body good to know that someone else is having close to the same issue
  • singswithseagulls
    singswithseagulls Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Keto made me 2 months late, and now that I'm regular again, my cycle is 30-32 days instead of the 28 days it was before. I should probably get some OPKs so I can figure out when I ovulate now.. heh. Not trying for a keto baby!
  • lshort86
    lshort86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For 5 years I've had an Implanon contraceptive implant and have had one or two light periods a year, at totally unpredictable times (although I generally get a headache the night before as a sign its coming). So basically I just don't think about it or factor it into anything. I started keto a bit over three weeks ago - totally coincidentally the day I got a period.

I also started my period again today, so twice in three weeks after several years of maybe having two a year. Of course this is a tiny sample, correlation does not equal causation and may very well mean nothing at all, but I'll be interested to see what happens as I continue with keto.

Im so glad I'm not alone. My one question though, is, does the implant remain effective ??
  • iris8pie
    iris8pie Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    dudettes! help me figure this one out... i lost weight during shark week, and then gained like 5 lbs the day it ended....what gives???
  • wimberleybonnette737
    wimberleybonnette737 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Yes!! and I think because I do Intermittent Fasting it's made it worse. The last 2 months I have gotten it a week early with bad PMS. The month before last it was early-ish. Grrrrrrrrr
  • Umm_Leila
    Umm_Leila Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies, this question is for you. Have any of you noticed a change in your cycle since being on keto? ie heavier or lighter periods, early or late on timing? Just curious if its affected you at all and if it was just a change in the beginning or it kept fluctuating.

I have diagnosed PCOS, with (before keto) extremely heavy periods and they were random. I was prescribed medroxyprogesteron to bring on a period every month so I didn't go through another 90 day straight heavy period again. The on/gun said I would have to take them for the rest of my life.

That being said, since about 6 months into keto, I have had 10/12 periods on a semi regular cycle (before keto I would get 3-4) my periods now seem to be much lighter than what they were. Before keto I would go through 3 giant boxes of super+ as well as 1 giant size regular box for 1 cycle of 7 days.

Now I only use 1 giant size mixed box of super/regular.

*Giant size= 36 tampons
  • Umm_Leila
    Umm_Leila Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I forgot to mention, I no longer take the medroxyprogesteron! And the periods come semi regularly with no medicine now
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    It seems as if it just keeps coming earlier and earlier. Seriously...STOP!