C25K

Options

Replies

• Batchtm
    Batchtm Posts: 1
    Options
    I start week two tomorrow. I'm really nervous because I am not a "runner". I have a friend doing this with me and that helps with motivation. Everything I've researched said to repeat any weeks you need to to build up endurance. I will repeat any weeks necessary until I can do this. Has anyone else repeated weeks and found success completing the program??
  • gzoesch
    gzoesch Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Made it through W2 and at my goal speed to boot! Unfortunately I have also been having knee pain this week. I think it might be a case of 'runner's knee', or patellar tendonitis. I haven't run in ages and I don't think my knees were up to the pounding just yet. Since it is pretty tender all the time I've decided to hold off on running for now. Still walking 5K miles every other day, and decided to add in swimming laps at my local pool to supplement the cardio. My hope is that after some rest and TLC (and more weight loss!) my knees won't be quite so mad at me.
  • JGilchrist23
    JGilchrist23 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi all from sunny Madrid! Just completed Week 4 Day 1 but got confused in the middle (I don't have the app and do it from memory on the treadmill) and added an extra 3 min run and 90 sec walk before the final 5 min run so am quite pleased I completed it. Cannot see how I go from here to the Week 5 Day 3 run in less than 2 weeks though!
  • TerryEden
    TerryEden Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    @TerryEden...

Hearing me lose against W5D3 day after day may just fill you with dread of getting there!! :)

And to make it worse it was pouring with rain!

@Lau_uk You're right! That's such a huge jump for W5D3!! All I can say is congratulations to you for making that effort! And, in the rain, even!!! Keep at it!
  • Lovenestwesr
    Options
    I did W2D2 yesterday, and it felt good.

I've been reading some great books about running/fitness. "what makes olga run" (about a 90-something track athlete!), "born to run" (about a tribe of Native Mexicans who routinely run ultra-marathons through the Sierra Madre mountains) and John "the Penguin" Bingham's book "Running for mortals". These are all very inspiring!

"Born to run" is a great read - compelling, good story-telling, and it also makes a compelling case for how running injuries can be caused by our (gasp) modern running shoes. There is a follow up book, "the Cool Impossible", written by a running coach, that talks about proper running form and the importance of foot strength (which is screwed up by wearing cushioned shoes) to injury prevention.

"running for mortals" outlines some great novice running plans - and all are much more gradual than the C25K plans, especially for those that haven't been recently active. I noticed that even though I've been active for about 6 months, Bingham suggests a very gradual increase in my number of running minutes, with liberal walking intervals.

Anyhow, all this to say, there are lots of ways to train.

I am following the C25k, but I am also listening to my body. A big reason why I wanted to do the app was the convenience of coaching from my iphone, as opposed to doing intervals with my watch. If W5D3 arrrives and feels too much, then I will repeat what feels do-able, and go the distance on my 5k, but maybe not as fast as I would otherwise! No shame in walking, it's better than sitting on a couch!

And as for the idea of foot strengthening.. I am intrigued by it, I may change to a different kind of shoe, and do the strengthening exercises that are recommended.
  • TerryEden
    Options
    ...Anyhow, all this to say, there are lots of ways to train.

I am following the C25k, but I am also listening to my body. A big reason why I wanted to do the app was the convenience of coaching from my iphone, as opposed to doing intervals with my watch. If W5D3 arrrives and feels too much, then I will repeat what feels do-able, and go the distance on my 5k, but maybe not as fast as I would otherwise! No shame in walking, it's better than sitting on a couch!

@Lovenestwesr Thanks for this. Well said!
  • TerryEden
    Options
    Completed W2D1 last night. Felt good.

I was proud of myself for doing it. Had a long day at the office and didn't get to walking/jogging/waddling until around 11PM, but it was the day I had set to do it and gosh darn it, I was going to do it. I'm sure some people will think that's dumb, but it felt good to me.

W2D2 coming up on Thursday.
  • socajam
    socajam Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Congratulations everybody. You all are making me jealous (joking). I am looking forward to starting, but not until after Easter (probably Easter Monday).

I have everything ready, just doing strength training until then.

Thanks for the updates
  • G_RRR
    G_RRR Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hello!! :smile: I found this group today, I'm on week 2 day 1, it was good even though I had to run slower than last week!
    Good luck to all of you!
  • Lau_uk
    Lau_uk Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    So I just took W5 D3 and showed it who's boss :)

Onwards I go!
  • TerryEden
    Options

Onwards I go!

Nice job, Lau_uk!!! Way to go!
  • TerryEden
    Options
    Just finished W2D2... pretty good!
  • stephnerR
    stephnerR Posts: 74 Member
    Options

Onwards I go!

Awesome! You have this - the rest will be a piece of cake! I tried again today and didn't make it. No excuses - the weather was perfect. I was shooting making it to a certain tree and I bypassed the tree and she still hadn't told me "you have one minute left". I must have been going faster than last time (seems impossible though :happy: ). I will try again Sunday.
  • AZ0310
    AZ0310 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I finished w7d1 today and it was fine. I'm still slower than most people walk, but I increased the incline for a while and the speed a bit. Once my heart rate started going out of zone on my hrm, I just dropped back a bit again. My new shoes have made all the difference for my knee/shin pain the past few weeks. I was actually comfortable and not thinking about when it was going to be over, so I'm pretty happy today. I'm still on the treadmill so I have it easier than those of you running outside.
  • TerryEden
    Options
    Completed W2D3 today! It was a glorious Spring morning here in Colo, so the time went pretty fast. Exceeded my upper limit heart rate on one uphill portion, but it went back down during the next walking cycle.

Looking forward to W3!
  • Lau_uk
    Options
    Well done everyone! W6 D1 for me today, on what looks like one of the best days of the year so far.

Legs are a little achy still after two long runs last week and a load of walking...

But the need to run and get better is protecting me from the hoovering ????

So running I am!!

Hope everyone has a great weekend and successful running
  • stephnerR
    Options
    I FINALLY finished W5 D3 tonight!! My husband said "was it because you ran so late" - I said "no, it was because my MFP friend across the pond who helped pull me through". Thank you Lau-UK for all of your encouragement and helpful insights!! Now on to W6 D1!!
  • Lau_uk
    Options
    @StephnerR... Woohoo

So happy for you, great stuff.

I'm forcing myself not to get overexcited and going back to the C25k schedule!

But it's all good. That's the big hurdle over :)

????????????????????????????
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    I finished Week 3 Day 1, and I'm feeling good. I didn't know if I would be able to actually jog 3 minutes, but I DID IT!

So, proud of those that are pushing through with this.
  • stephnerR
    Options
    I completed W6 D1 today - much easier than W5 D3. My husband said "I didn't hear you breathing tonight". I can sound like a freight train when I'm running and really tired.:happy: