April Goals

Options
2»

Replies

• RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My March goal was primarily to stay healthy. It didn't happen. I'd really like to see 200 miles this month. Already six days in and it doesn't look good b/c I haven't wanted to over run due to big events (2 halfs and a 20M) I have been training for. Maybe after next Sunday? Then I will have a 13 day break before my 20-miler... Staying healthy is priority number one!

Good luck to everyone!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    If you find a way to stay healthy with toddlers in the house, I will pay you enough to make it worth it for you.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Just stay injury free this month. Nothing big going on. Have a 5K, but nothing special.

Well...stalled out an injury! Was quiet about it on here, but my running group knew what was up. Battled an IT band inflamation last week....so took off the week to tame it down. Didn't slow down though! Oh no...didn't want my running to suffer too much so took some spin classes and did some elliptical work to keep my aerobic fitness up. Seemed to work. Did my first run...which was a race lol...in 31:29...and that was with 1 minute walk breaks every 5 minutes to make sure all was okay.

I have also decided to slowly...and I mean sssslllllooooowwwwlllllyyyyy...transition to minimalist.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Just stay injury free this month. Nothing big going on. Have a 5K, but nothing special.

Well...stalled out an injury! Was quiet about it on here, but my running group knew what was up. Battled an IT band inflamation last week....so took off the week to tame it down. Didn't slow down though! Oh no...didn't want my running to suffer too much so took some spin classes and did some elliptical work to keep my aerobic fitness up. Seemed to work. Did my first run...which was a race lol...in 31:29...and that was with 1 minute walk breaks every 5 minutes to make sure all was okay.

I have also decided to slowly...and I mean sssslllllooooowwwwlllllyyyyy...transition to minimalist.

Oh honey. You are feeling better? GREAT time on your race. What is driving the minimalist transition?
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    Run regularly!!!!
    If that happens, get my weekly km's back to about 20km and bring the runs up to 4Xweek.

Well for the first 2 weeks of the month, I've managed to run twice a week. Averaging about 12km total.
    This week I will get my 3 times and hopefully bring my weekly total up to about 17
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options

Oh honey. You are feeling better? GREAT time on your race. What is driving the minimalist transition?

Just all the stuff I have read about it seems to make sense. It forces you to land softer on your foot, which controls the impact, which in turn controls how bad your muscles are jostled, which will in turn cut down on injury. But I am going very slow in the transition...I have a transitional pair right now, then will drop down further in six months. My cousin recommends to do some bare foot strides of 100 meters after some of my easy runs...cross country of course...which I will try and work into my routine.
  • RunFarLiveHappy
    RunFarLiveHappy Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    I'm a big advocate of minimalist running. I run exclusively in Nike Free's, the lightest most flexible shoe I've ever seen. I do run totally barefoot on our artifical turf soccer fields nearby and I think it does help strengthen the feet & calves. I would also encourage your slooooowwww transisition. Walk, walk some more, run a little, then slowly add distance. I've successfully run five half marathon races & three 20-miler training runs as a minimalist runner with no injury. I do have to go up a full shoe size. Good luck @rduhlir!
  • likitisplit
    Options
    I wear less constructed shoes too.

The best advice I've gotten is that your shoe only goes so far in affecting your running. It's like free weights vs. a Smith machine. If you have crappy squat form, you're never going to get all that better using a Smith machine, but you won't get hurt as badly as using free weights.

Minimalist shoes are tools that can help you build strength in your feet, but you actively have to be working toward building strength by controlling your strike and foot motion. So, yes, slowish transition, drills, mindfulness, etc.

I'm also moving slightly back and will be trying a zero drop shoe with more padding for longer runs. I think my ability to go minimal depends on how well my feet are conditioned.