April workout check in thread - aprilliant workouts here!

Options

Replies

• rlw911
    rlw911 Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    For those who might be interested, I finally managed to upload that video somewhere!

Those look pretty good! In your description of the video, you complained about not being smooth, but it actually helped me to see the two types of lifts. I'm sure with practice, you'll get the flow down! Thanks for sharing!
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Serious case of the blahs over here. Workout a couple days ago - failed all my weights on the last rep except OHP. LOVE OHP!!

I thought I was really sore and maybe injured afterward but it turns out I have the flu or something. Fever/body aches, etc. Going to rest for a week probably and deload. Squats to 150 DL to 200 and work on my form. Also having some shoulder pain from an old injury. Sigh. Maybe time to see the Dr. for a referral to PT. Shoulder doesn't bother me at all when I am working out and is only sore when I let it "hang" at rest.

Squats 175 5x5
    OHP 80 pounds 5x5
    Deadlift 225 1x5
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    After having several frustrating workouts lately, I felt pretty good about today's.
    Squats: 100 5x5 I felt like my form was so much better today so I think I'll do 100 one more time and then start moving up again.
    Bench press: 80 5x5 The first time I tried 80 I think I got 3 in on the first set and it just got worse from there. I was really excited these went so well.
    Barbell Row 90 2x3 and 80 3x5 I didn't feel like failing all of my sets so I was fine with going to 80 for the last three. Dh bough me some 10# bumper plates and I think they made a big difference. Stacking plates was just not working for me.
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    I have workout a today.
    Squat:
    Warmup45x5,65x5,85x5,
    Set: 95x5x5
    Bench:
    Warmups:45x5,65x5,75x5
    Sets:80x5x5
    Row:
    Warmup:45x5,65x5
    Sets:90x5x5
    Today I was on fire, everything went well without struggling much. . Maybe because I worked out 4-5 pm instead of the usual 8-9 pm. Or maybe because I had a great warmup in a form of a salsa class with my toddler.
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I was in beast mode today. So much so that I didn't even realized I'd been at the gym almost 2 hours by the time I was done O_o

Did Squats 150x3x5 (that's a high bar PR. I'd never even done that weight with high bar. I still hate it.)

Bench 110x4, 110x5, 110x4 - considering I,ve done 110x6 in the past I'm a lil miffed, but then I did work my shoulders yesterday so not 100% fresh here

Deadlift 200x5 - managed to grind out all 5 reps with a mixed grip, happeh!

OHP 70x3x5 I filmed my second set and realized I was dipping at the knees ever so slightly on this, so I corrected that on my last set. I managed to push through a sticking point without momentum there, so really happy here too :)

Wide grip lat pulldown, 125x5, 125x4, 125x5 - I coulda gotten all 5 reps on that second set had I waited just 30 seconds more between sets, I'm sure!

Then went on to doing some accessory cuz I just felt like it. I was in the groove, what can I say?

Bent over cable crossover
    Face Pulls
    Circuit of lying DB triceps extensions, hammer curls and jump squats, 3 rounds AMRAP with no rest.

At that point I tried my No matter what push-up set. Out of 19, I got 8. Whoops?

And I'm crazy so I plan on doing some core work later today. Will probably retry the push-ups then too. For the moment it's hard to type! Haha.

Full workout including warm-up sets viewable here: https://www.fitocracy.com/entry/32154942/?invite_code=IJ4D4&source=share_workout&referrer=workout&share=99e511ee (I just have to pimp fitocracy once in a while ;))

@redhead Awesome workout! Nothin quite comes close to feeling like you can lift a mountain during a workout :) And this is why I wokrout in the AM. At night i'm just a big blob of tired xD

@dennie Yep, bumper plates are awesome!

@liza you're one of the only ones here I've seen claim that they love OHP! lol. However, if you have caught a bug, it's better to not try to lift heavy much. Good time to deload and work on form and mobility. You don't wanna tax your body too much when it's fighting a battle already!

@cruisin Haha, I'm glad it helped you pick the lift apart! I have a lot of work to do though if I ever wanna get into heavy weights. It's all about "dropping" under the bar (which my gf pointed out sounds dangerous, but it's really not. Your body as a general unit is a lot stronger when things are locked out.)
  • bat3girl
    bat3girl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am new to groups. This is my first group and first post. i hope this is the correct way to start. I have recently started the strong lifts program. I don't want to ramble on.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone. I am new to groups. This is my first group and first post. i hope this is the correct way to start. I have recently started the strong lifts program. I don't want to ramble on.

Welcome :)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    Going into my seventh week tomorrow! I'm so glad I started lifting. I'm already seeing results in my back getting leaner :happy:
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Post any of your workouts here and we all tend to ramble. :laugh:
  • bat3girl
    bat3girl Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    ok, i have done cardio for years and had to increase time with diminishing returns. i was up to 75 minutes of cardio 5-6 days per week and my weight kept creeping up. A few months ago I cut back on cardio started doing dumbbell exercises mostly for upper body and alternating days with abdominal exercises. The more I read, the more i pushed to heavier weights. Finally , i discovered 5x5 strong lifts on line. At first I was intimidated by the barbell room at the gym, but I asked a trained to show me how to do some of the basic moves. I have done 2 work outs but not complete. My squat today was 55 lb 5x5 and my bench today was 50 5x5. I never really used a barbell before. I then just did my dumbbells again for rows and presses. I will try to figure out the dead- lift this week.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Welcome bat3girl! I think many of us are former cardio junkies. :) Cardio has its place for overall fitness and it will help giving your body a good size but it's a good lifting routine that will give your body a good shape.

Take your time to learn the moves, having a good trainer is the best, but you can also practice at home with a broomstick, you will find some very interesting videos in the stickies.

As for my today workout: I was in my beast mode since I had a bbq party yesterday. :laugh:
    Squat 62.5kg 5x5 (warmup 20kg 2x5, 40kg 1x4, 55kg 1x3)
    I realized I was overdoing it with the warmup sets. And I was wondering why I had energy crashes after squats, lol. I'm quite happy with the form and I will probably move to 65kg next time (My bodyweight is currently around 62 kg so I'll be taking it slow from now on)

Overhead press 32.5kg 3x5 then 1x4 and 1x3 (warmup 20kg 1x5; 25kg 1x3)
    I've been stuck at 30kg for ages, so I'm definitely happy. I watched the video where Rippetoe teaches how to use the hip drive thing, I still have to get the hang of it but I think it definitely helps. I hope I'll be able to do 5x5 next time, or at least 4x5.

Deadlift 65kg 1x5 (warmup 40kg 1x3) God, this thing is a drug. I feel like a total BAMF when I deadlift! I'll keep 65kg next time.

Accessory work:
    Upright rows 17.5kg fixed barbell 3x8
    Lat raise 5kg dumbbells 3x8
    Dumbbell bent-over row 9kg 3x8
    Plank 3x35
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    NICE workout @krokador!

Welcome @bat3girl!

So after a nice 3 day weekend where I took Friday off from work to go to a music festival for 2 days, I'm back at it today. At least I got a LOT of steps in walking between the stages and buildings.

Squats: 120lbs 3x5 felt hard but very doable. Thank you pancakes and chicken wings from yesterday?
    Rows: 67.5lbs 3x5. felt pretty good.
    Bench: 67.5lbs 3x5. I think this was the first time I've ever really concentrated and then felt my core engage which was nice.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Here is my workout from friday:
    Squats 5x5 135 lbs
    Ohp 3x5 55 lbs
    Deads 1x5 170 lbs (my body weight!)

Starting week 8 (i think) tomorrow. Its
    Nice having 3 days off although the weekend was crazy busy. I came home from a weekend away weighing 1.4 pounds less!!!
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    @saranharm: Congrats on body weight deadlifts!! That's fantastic!

@hwillmott: I'm pretty well convinced that the number of pancakes I eat and the number of reps I can do well are directly correlated. :wink: Bring on the pancakes!

I'm trying to add in more light cardio on my off days, so I went for a walk this morning (before coffee, blech), and have a 20 minutes pilates DVD I plan to try out tonight. It's called "Ab Sculpting" and I'm simultaneously terrified and excited.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I was gonna workout yesterday, but I drank too much on Saturday night. It was totally worth it! :happy: So, on to Monday Funday! Hopefully I can get the power rack today otherwise I'll have to use the Smith Machine again, ick. Though, when I did AMRAP squats on it last week, my glutes killed for quite a few days.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Oh, how I've missed you DOMS! So glad to be able to start Monday morning by struggling to walk up the stairs to my office. I unintentionally took 2 weeks off from lifting *gasp* so it's great to be sore. Last weekend I got some bad food poisoning, and it took me pretty much a full week to be back on my feet and/or want to put food in my mouth. I knew this first workout back was going to kill me...and it pretty much did! It's amazing how fast strength goes away, but I hope it comes back just as quickly.

Workout A last night - deloaded everything by 10% and still failed miserably.
    squats - 5,5,3,3,3 at 100 pounds - quads and glutes were screaming at me those last three sets
    BP - 5,4,4,4,4 at 90 pounds - total jelly arms and the bar was moving all over the place
    rows - 5x5 at 85 pounds - maybe back muscles don't shrivel up and go away as fast as everything else? ha ha

I was keeping up with everyone's posts while I was curled up in bed for days. Kept me entertained and everyone's been posting some great numbers! Here's to a great week!
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Another great workout today! I love it when I'm mentally in the zone.

Bench Press: 100 lbs 3x5. Finally, I broke through that plateau. I think it really helps me to not have a spotter. I'm forced to either put up or shut up.

Squat: 165 lbs 3x5. These were a struggle, but with struggle comes change :bigsmile:

Barbell rows: 110 lbs 3x5. BUT, I didn't get them all quite to my chest, so I'll repeat this weight on Friday.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Welcome batgirl and don't worry I think I ramble the most...

@Sara yah you...
    @wolf I agree with you on the mental thing and the spotter...I seem to do better when my husband isn't here to spot me.

Well happy Monday ladies it's workout A for me today. After a 7 hour moving party yesterday to move my sister in law and her 3 roommates into her new house...I ate way over yesterday due to being on the road (she lives an hour away) but when I checked 2/3 of the time 5hours of moving it was 2477 calories...not that I would log them but made me feel a bit better about being over by over 1k, but sort of made me sad I couldn't log even half of them....:laugh:

I have also upped my calories again this week to 1800...which leaves a tonne of space for extra treats...:drinker:

So my Squats I am leaving at 135 today as my leg bothered me yesterday in the cold and I don't want to push the injury just as it's getting so close to 100%, standard warmup for me 2x5 @ 65, 2x5 @ 85 3:45 rests
    5x5 on those.

Bench @ 118.5 today as I broke my 115 on Wednesday...tried to talk myself out of it but it didn't work...:laugh:

warmup was 2x5 Empty bar, 2x5@65 rests starting at 3:45...didn't feel like I needed this long of a rest today..not sure if it was all the food this weekend or the fact I upped my calories last week to 1700...averaged about 1850 due to weekend eating

5x5 on Bench

Rows @ 120 today as I got past my stall at 118.5 Last Friday...stayed for form on Wednesday and no excuse not to move up today...no warmups as I feel I am warm enough rests are set for 3:45

5x5 on those but the last rep on the last two sets were iffy so I am staying there on Friday just for my own peace of mind.

Have a good week everyone.
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Workout B today. Having gone pretty much straight up since beginning in January, this week is "fall back and regroup" week.

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x5x85, 1x5x115, 5x5x145
    OHP: 5x5x45 (I moved to the barbell for this one --awkward!)
    Dead lifts: 2x5x45, 1x5x70, 1x5x95
    Dips: 3x-66x10 ( machine-assisted)
    Hanging leg raise: 3x12

I picked up Strong Curves to read up on glute raises and hip thrusts. :)
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    This morning I wnet for a bit of a run. Program stated 8 rounds of 1 min steady, 1.5 min slow/walk. I did my minutes relatively fast and jogged half of the "rest" periods lol. Ended up with a 2 mile run.

Then since I was sore as hell I wanted to do yoga but ran out of time to do a lengthy one so settled for P90X3's yoga session.

And tonight went to my first crossfit training session. The WOD was 4 tounds for time of
    12 box jumps @ 20 inches
    20 momentum crunches (not sure what this move really accomplishes but it was gassing nonetheless)
    8 push press @ 45

Completed in 8:47. trainer had us jump down the box at first but I quickly reverted to stepping off one leg at a time. My knees were taking quite a beating o_o

Overall though it was a lot of fun! Looking forward to tomorrow! I was worried I,d be a slug but I was pretty on par with everyone else so that was a big confidence boost.

@Sexzy Attagirl! You're strong! Not sure why I never noticed those numbers of yours much before! And hey, I ramble just as much if not more than you! lol