April workout check in thread - aprilliant workouts here!

Options

Replies

• redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was workout A and I had to deload as well.
    Squat : 1x45,1x65,1x75,5x5 x90 . This was second time in a row, and I think i am ready to move forward next time.
    OHP: 1x25, 1x45, 5x5x55. This was a drag again. I was doing 60 lb 3 time before my 2 weeks off, and I was finally ready to move to 65 and now I am back at here. Somehow this is the hardest to make any progress.

Deadlift 5x45, 5x135 , It was doable and I am ready to move on. I was 145 prior my 2 weeks off, and be right there next time for sure.

Extras: knee raises:4x10, assisted dips:3x8 with 100 lb assitance. , boo.

@stef: great hair., and I can see why you can tuck it behind your ears. The hairdresser screw up my inverted bob, and at the front is above chin level and just barely go up at the back. I realized it doesn't actually look like it was purposely done inverted. It looks like a normal classic bob that has been screw up and not even. :( I am kind of pissed. My regular hairdresser was on vacation and I went to a chatters , never again.

@diane: it is very interesting how different people can progress so fast in one thing, and others struggle with that one and progress rapidly on something totally different. I only squat a little bit more than HALF what you do (90lb vs your 175 lb) , but for me 135 lb deadlift was a deload, which probably was not even needed.
    The only thing seems to be the same for everyone is the OHP is snail motion increase.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    @red - OHP is a beast for just about everyone and progress is usually the slowest. Hang in there, you will get up there soon.

Well, I couldn't stay away from the barbell today. Didn't do SL, but played around with some higher rep stuff.

Supersets:

3x10 @ 65 lbs - front squats and OHP
    3x10 Hip thrusts @115 lbs and bent over long bar rows @ bar + 33lbs
    3x10 sumo deadlifts @115 lbs and bench press @85

Did a bit of foam rolling before the work.
  • hnsaunde
    hnsaunde Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    Great work ladies!!

@fisher, thanks! I will update and have a major celebration in the gym as soon as I officially get that chinup!

@red OHP is a huge pain in my *kitten*, it's my least favorite lift! It does come though, just slowly :)

I did bench press at lunch today, my 5 week of 5/3/1.

Warmup Sets:
    5 x 45 pounds
    5 x 55 pounds
    3 x 65 pounds

Working Sets:
    5 x 75 pounds
    5 x 85 pounds
    5 x 95 pounds-I completed this and it's a rep PR for me!!

Assistance Work:
    Incline Dumbbell Flyes-3 sets of 12 @ 15 pounds in each hand
    Assisted Pullups- 3 sets of 10 @ 50 pounds assisted, I got 9 in each set.

I didn't get my rowing in, didn't have time, but I'm going for a run later tonight to get some cardio in.

ETA: @jstout, I love your story, that's all sorts of awesome!
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Just a run day today. The 4km seemed just as hard as it was last time, but I managed to shave 4 seconds off of my pace. One more 4km and then I bump up to 4.4 and we will see how that goes. Exactly one month until my 5k race so I think I should be ok. I have no plans on actually doing well, I just want to set a baseline (oh and finish it running :) )
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Despite the national holiday (Liberation Day! yay!) the gym was open, and obviously crowdy... Still managed to occupy the squat rack :drinker:

Squat 62.5kg 5x5 (warmup 20x5, 40x5, 50x5, 55x5)
    Bench 40kg 5x5 (warmup 20x5 30x5 35x5) tried 42.5 at the beginning and the end, could only do 2 reps
    Barbell row 40kg 5x5. (warmup 30x5), deloaded to fix form.

Upright rows 17.5kg fixed barbell 3x8
    Lat raise 4kg dumbbells 4x8 (all 5kg were taken so I added a set)
    Dumbbell bent-over row 8kg 3x8
    Plank 3x35
  • telepneff
    telepneff Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I haven't posted on this yet and after reading all of your check ins I've discovered I'm doing it wrong! My boyfriend started me on this and has apparently swapped the row and dead lift over. Is that important?

last night was set A (or B... not too sure). Either way I did:

Squat: 37.5kg (80lbs ish) 5x5

OHP: 17.5kg (40lbs ish) 5, 5, 5, 5, 4- so irritating! I just couldn't do that very last rep. This was my third attempt at this weight as well (the last 2 I didn't get so far) so it's time to drop the weight now.

Bent over row: 22.5 (50lbs ish) 5x5
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Got called into work early today, so no gym today :grumble:

DOMS is pretty light today. I expected it to be worse after deadlifting yesterday (after a break), and then standing and singing for a 3.5 hour choral rehearsal. Sore, sore, sore.

@Telepneff: It may not be a huge problem, but I think it would be good to do the program as written. Doing the overhead press is taxing enough for the upper body; doing the rows alongside it might be not the greatest idea...? I don't know for sure, but that's my thought.
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    Holy crap balls... DOMS from Monday's workout... in mah glutes... :sad:

Hopefully the gym isn't bro-crowded today and I can snag the power rack this afternoon! Mid-week usually isn't bad, so I have high hopes.

Wed night is my fave night to go... less BRO's :laugh: Trolling
    Still trying to find this magical time. I know to avoid Mondays (the bros at my gym "Never Miss A Monday"), but they come in random waves every other day. Some days the weight room is completely empty, and other days BAM! you can't swing a barbell without hitting a bro!

EDIT: I don't really mind bros, but crowded conditions are honestly the worst thing on only one cup of coffee in the morning.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Squats: 3x5 145lbs

OHP: 1x10 45lbs, 2x5 50lbs, 2x5 55lbs

Deadlift: 1x5 175lbs

My gym "buddy" (aka, the middle aged bodybuilder who lives in the weight room) was shouting at me during my last rep of OHP at 55lbs. "PUSH, HONEY." While I appreciated it, I almost dropped the bar, lol.

I think I'm going to start adding in an extra day at the gym, starting tomorrow. Just going to do my accessory lifts!

LOL! Whenever my husband comes to the gym with me I have to tell him "DON'T talk to me mid-lift." He doesn't seem to get that him standing there is all the encouragement I need. I feel the same - as soon as he suddenly says something I about drop the bar. And he's always a little too eager to "save me" when he is afraid I'm going to fail a rep. He got a little better about that once he realized I'm stronger than he thought. :)
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Workout A yesterday with my "under an hour" modification schedule.

I haven't bumped up my squats again this week. I hit 135x5x5 on Saturday and went to 140x3x5 for Tuesday and Thursday. I felt strong yesterday so it didn't feel like THAT much of a challenge. I guess I'll play it by ear as to whether or not I bump it up to 145 for 5x5 on Saturday or make sure I hit 140x5x5 before moving on.

I stayed with 85 lbs on bench which I actually started two weeks ago. I failed the first and second workout at that weight but got it on Saturday. I was afraid to bump it up yesterday without my husband there to spot me though. Failing on bench is a little scary to me. But I got my 5x5 easy with minimal rest time.

75x3x5 for row.
  • dennie24
    dennie24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Last night was workout B for me.
    Squats: 100# 5x5 I'm still working on a forward lean problem I have been having so I think I'll be here for awhile.
    Overhead press: 60# 5x5 I have been working on increasing reps at 55# for what feels like a long time so I was really excited to get all of these.
    Deadlift: 130# I have a lot of inflammation in my hands and wrists so my grip was struggling a bit but I got through them. :smile:
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Question - what lifts are ok for pregnant ladies? I invited my workout buddy to come with me tonight (she said she NEEDED to do weights and will not ever go to the gym by herself so I said I'd be there doing my SL workout) and I'd love to give her some new moves to help strengthen her hips and all that, but she's 4 months pregnant and I know nothing about that whole scenario... Would hip thrusts with a lower weight/weight she's comfortable with be ok for her?
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    Question - what lifts are ok for pregnant ladies? I invited my workout buddy to come with me tonight (she said she NEEDED to do weights and will not ever go to the gym by herself so I said I'd be there doing my SL workout) and I'd love to give her some new moves to help strengthen her hips and all that, but she's 4 months pregnant and I know nothing about that whole scenario... Would hip thrusts with a lower weight/weight she's comfortable with be ok for her?
    I don't know, but check these ladies out? http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/category/pregnancy/
  • katro111
    Options
    @Katerina - Thank you!!!! I'm sending her that link... :smile:
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

She should probably talk to her doctor. You don't wanna mess around with that.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Deadlift Day!!! I hit a PR of 145 lbs!!!!! Yay me! I also hit another PR, this one in running. I hit 10:00/mile. :bigsmile:
    The rest of the workout was a blur due to a cup of coffee followed by some C4 pre workout. :laugh:
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Deadlift Day!!! I hit a PR of 145 lbs!!!!! Yay me! I also hit another PR, this one in running. I hit 10:00/mile. :bigsmile:
    The rest of the workout was a blur due to a cup of coffee followed by some C4 pre workout. :laugh:

Whoo hoo! Unbelievable! Yay!!!!
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options

Yay you!! :drinker: :drinker:
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I would avoid a weighted hip thrust. The bar position would be my main concern. The movement is good and she can do it with just body weight. Either those or glute bridges.

She really should clear things with her doc first, but I know women who continued with squats and deadlifts and other dumbbell upper body work during pregnancy.
  • katro111
    Options
    Doc has cleared her to do anything (as long as it isn't painful), but she said maybe she'd try the SL with me and I immediately said NOPE - not right now! I'm thinking body weight hip thrusts would be good, too, and she has done some lower weight goblet squats in the last month.

Thanks for the suggestions! :smile: