April workout check in thread - aprilliant workouts here!

Options

Replies

• KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    First day after 9 days away, so went light:

Squats 3x5 115lbs
    Bench 5x5 55lbs
    Row 5x5 60lbs

I usually wear moisture-wicking high necked tee shirts, mostly because they were on sale last summer and I have tons of them. I am in no way well endowed, so I can't really relate, but in the end, wear what makes you comfortable and is within your gym's dress code. I'm so sorry you felt uncomfortable! :frown:

People are rude, and openly staring is never okay, but especially in a gym situation (I feel this way about women ogling men at my gym, too... during my rests, I've noticed there's a lot of giggling and pointing from women on the treadmills)

On the flip side of this coin, maybe wearing something a little more daring will help boost your confidence? Tell them off if they stare, or do what my mom taught me to do: wink creepily at 'em and they'll back off. :wink:
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    redheadmommy: I have an another little bit embarrassing question for your ladies. What do you ladies wear to the gym? T- shirts or workout tops? How do you deal with the bending over and clevege situation? Until today I alway wore very high neck t- shirt style top. Today was really warm and I wore sleeveless and there was definitely staring. I got so self conscious that I literally hide for the barbell row, because I did't want to flash the entire gym with my bending over cleavege.
    I am extremely well endowed. I alway have been big, but breastfeeding made me huge. I weaned my baby 2.5 months ago, but it am still wearing 34 H bra. I may shrink some more, but it is genetic and I alway will be big. Due to my size , there will be some cleavege unless I wore very high neck t-shirt style top. Today, every single women in the weight room was wearing sleeveless, so I was not wearing any less than every other women. However none of those women were doing any bending over, plus none of them was even close to my size.

Hey! I'm also a 34H! Well, I'm actually down to 34GG now (score!) but all my bras are still 34H. The boobage is unavoidable, so I just wear whatever shirt that I have clean. That includes v-necks, tanks, etc. Though, the Panache sports bra that I have COMPLETELY covers all cleavage. It's a little pricey, but if you are really self-conscious, then this will do the trick for you:
    http://www.amazon.com/Panache-Womens-Underwired-Sports-Bra/dp/B005X5FG2O

As far as the creep-o's staring, I usually stare right back and I imagine I look deranged so it usually scares them off. Or I start talking to myself. Crazy is as crazy does! :laugh:
  • mama_bear91215
    mama_bear91215 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm so proud of myself (ok I'm a nerd) but I started squatting on the smith machine ( i know, i know, i suck) but starting like 2 weeks ago i moved to the squat rack and last night i reached the weight i was lifting on the smith machine (which if you havent used one, you can lift way more on the smith machine...because it lifts like half of it for you lol) i squatted 85 lbs last night!!! it's not much compared to you other ladies (i cant wait until i can lift like you all!!) but i was so excited!! ok that was my proud share for this morning lol
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Building Blocks Day 6 Nao! Only 2 more to go before I get into the real program! I'm excited (but also a bit worried because I am still struggling a good bit with pull-ups and other bodyweight stuff cuz I'm still so heavy. Boo.)

5 round of
    OH Squat x10
    Assisted pull-ups AMRAP for 1 min

I had the red and blakc bands together for pull-ups which *should* have been about 90-100lbs of assist. However that's really just at the very bottom and I had trouble locking out. I had to jump a bit to get up and do slow negatives. I'm actually stronger at the bottom of the pull. Need to figure this out. :/ (But I tried a set at the end on the gravitron and managed 6 full reps unbroken at -80lbs so I have no idea)

OH Squat weights: 50 / 50 / 52.5 / 52.5 / 55
    Pull-ups: 6 / 5 / 6 / 6 / 7 (I added my blue band on the last 2 sets though)

I added some close grip bench presses but my shoulders were shot so that and my set of push-ups really sucked haha. I'm looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow, I gotta say!
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    I wear just a high neck t-shirt but that is what Iam comfortable in. I'd prefer long sleeves but unfortunately I don't live in the arctic ;)
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    I'm so proud of myself (ok I'm a nerd) but I started squatting on the smith machine ( i know, i know, i suck) but starting like 2 weeks ago i moved to the squat rack and last night i reached the weight i was lifting on the smith machine (which if you havent used one, you can lift way more on the smith machine...because it lifts like half of it for you lol) i squatted 85 lbs last night!!! it's not much compared to you other ladies (i cant wait until i can lift like you all!!) but i was so excited!! ok that was my proud share for this morning lol
    Yay!! That is a feat; retraining yourself is tough. When I started playing around with barbells, my squats were awful half-squats (I suck too, lol). Then I started StrongLifts, got serious, and had to deload to 50lbs. It can be humbling, but go us!
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Squat: 5x5x135
    Bench: 5x5x85
    Row: 75 lbs. - missed the fifth rep twice - plus I feel like I'm using my back too much, so may deload.

What part of your back do you think you are using too much, upper or lower? May seem like a duh question, but advice will vary on what part is being called on.

I just feel like part of my upper back moves with the move rather than it just being my arms pulling. I don't know if that makes sense. I think it's just a little too heavy so in the last few sets I start to use my back more than I think I should...
  • Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    wow, I´ve really missed a lot and don´t even have some numbers to share since I skipped gym today..on purpose...oO My first time. But I am still so cooked from the weekend I felt it was better to just stay home. I feel a little bit of regret but it´s bearable :-D

You girls did great!

I am happy, your little one feels better @redhead
  • mama_bear91215
    Options
    [/quote]Yay!! That is a feat; retraining yourself is tough. When I started playing around with barbells, my squats were awful half-squats (I suck too, lol). Then I started StrongLifts, got serious, and had to deload to 50lbs. It can be humbling, but go us!
    [/quote]

i'm pretty sure my form is TERRIBLE, but i dont ever hurt after squatting so i feel like if i was that bad...my back and stuff would hurt? lol
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Row: 75 lbs. - missed the fifth rep twice - plus I feel like I'm using my back too much, so may deload.

What part of your back do you think you are using too much, upper or lower? May seem like a duh question, but advice will vary on what part is being called on.

I just feel like part of my upper back moves with the move rather than it just being my arms pulling. I don't know if that makes sense. I think it's just a little too heavy so in the last few sets I start to use my back more than I think I should...

Okay...now I can help :wink: So....the row is an upper back lift and the primary force should be coming from the upper back and not just the biceps. When you row, you should be pulling your shoulder blades together, activating the lats, delts, and traps. Your biceps will be activated, but you won't get an effective lift without the back. Basically, you should be activating these muscles:

1232.jpg

So long story short, you are probably doing it right and should feel it in your back the whole time.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    i'm pretty sure my form is TERRIBLE, but i dont ever hurt after squatting so i feel like if i was that bad...my back and stuff would hurt? lol

Ummmm, your butt should be on fire!! lol :tongue:
  • mama_bear91215
    Options
    haha well i can feel it in my muscles but i mean i dont hurt in my back or anything!
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    @lizafava: I know at this size everything enhances anyway. I wear my sleeveless tops for biking ,and they do not make me self conscious there. Maybe because I missed 2 weeks lifting , or the awkward bending position made me more aware of my cleavage

@katro: we are boob twins :laugh: I just bought that panache sport bra last month in coral and it is so beautiful! Beside my enell , this is the first sport bra that actually supports me. It covers well, but still there is some cleavage when I bend over. I really like that it can be made it to a racer back. I am planning to buy some more, but it is pricey. I am waiting an other month or two before I invest into more bras. Until February I was sporting 34JJ/K breastfeeding giants, so I dropped quite a few sizes already and hoping for a couple more . I was 32 F prior kids, and I really hope that things will go back close to that.

@katarineterese: where did you get / what brand is it your moisture-wicking high neck t shirts? Are they long on the torso? I just wore regular cotton t shirt before, but they are not really good choice when you sweat a lot. I have 1 underarmor brand performance t shirt, but it is short in the torso and rides up that I never wear it.

@saranharm: I actually started with wearing long sleeve t shirts. I live in Canada and when I started in March it was cold even inside. I have these performance underlayer long sleeve tees, and that what I was wearing in the first 3 weeks. Strangly I have many of these long sleeve high neck performance tees and several sleeveless sport tops, but I only have one single short sleeve high neck tee I can wear or plain cotton tees, which can stink in working out ( literally ;)

@stef: be carefully in the kitchen.! Burning wounds are the worst! Also where is the pic of your new haircut? How do you like to work out with it? I also had a haircut last week and cut my very long hair into Bob similar you described. Last night was my first workout since the haircut, and I realized this actually bothers me more in working out. When I had the long hair I put into a very high ponytail and didn't bothered me. Now it is too short to put into a ponytail and comes into my face when I squat. While I was squatting, I almost made a decision to do a pixie cut. My husband freaked out when I told him, so I am waiting out. I wait for 2 weeks to see if I can get used to this hair while working out.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    @redheadmommy--my haircut is an inverted bob and I just tuck the sides in behind my ears when I work out. It doesn't bother me this way.
  • KaterinaTerese
    Options
    @katarineterese: where did you get / what brand is it your moisture-wicking high neck t shirts? Are they long on the torso? I just wore regular cotton t shirt before, but they are not really good choice when you sweat a lot. I have 1 underarmor brand performance t shirt, but it is short in the torso and rides up that I never wear it.
    I wear Tek Gear shirts! The long sleeved ones seem to fit a little longer on the torso, but I'd say the short sleeved ones are average length. I wear mine a size up from my normal tee size, so they're not huge, but they do give me a little air flow/room to stretch.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Ugh this no lifting thing is starting to get to me.......it was cardio day anyway so lifting wasn't on the menu, but I think I'm going to go and say hello to the barbell again tomorrow, but just keep the weight down and do more reps.

So today I worked on my boxing with some areas I need to work on, protecting my head when giving body shots and foot work. Did 10 intervals, the first 6 were bag work and the last 4 were footwork. Each round was 3 min and I had a 1 min break between them. Many drops of sweat were left on and under the bag and my hair looked like I had just come out of a swimming pool. Finished up with some incline bottoms up/leg lifts. Was able to get to 20 reps my first set and then did 10 with 2 dragon flag negatives the second set.
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Red, when my hair was shorter I just used a couple of barrettes on the sides to hold it back. Now I'm doing a ponytail again but that got me through. I am not a very stylish person though so you have to keep that in mind. ; )
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Run day for me today. I am just starting week 7 of C25K, so today's run was 4 km straight. I thought I was going to die lol. It is scary to think that my 5k race is in just over a month.

I did end up taking my kiddos to the playground and doing some monkey bars to help grip strength (and to get my son, tag is getting easier the better shape I am in).
  • decblessings
    Options

Okay...now I can help :wink: So....the row is an upper back lift and the primary force should be coming from the upper back and not just the biceps. When you row, you should be pulling your shoulder blades together, activating the lats, delts, and traps. Your biceps will be activated, but you won't get an effective lift without the back. Basically, you should be activating these muscles:

1232.jpg

So long story short, you are probably doing it right and should feel it in your back the whole time.

Unfortunately it's not so much that I just feel it in my back. I saw a girl doing curls today with dumbbells. She was clearly struggling with the weight and was moving her whole upper body to help get the weight up. So hard to explain without showing you. So what I think is happening is I'm not keeping a flat back and kind of pulling my body upright more to help lift the weight. Does that make sense? :o/
  • decblessings
    Options
    I want to keep up on this thread more but we're a bunch of busy ladies!

In regards to what we wear, I almost always wear capri running-type bottoms and a tshirt. I hate the way those moisture wicking shirts seem to make my gut stand out more. I am small chested these days (B cup), although I was once somewhere between a D and a DD, especially when breastfeeding, but I did feel awkward when I felt brave enough to wear a tank top the other day. A couple guys were clearly looking down my shirt when I was bent over for rows. They were probably disappointed with what they saw though. ;)

Today I did a combo of 3x5/5x5 for time sake. I just had to deload on OHP so I stuck with 5x5 on that at only 55 pounds.

140 lbs Squat - 3x5

165 lbs deadlift - FAIL after 3 reps

So my question about deadlifts is how much warming up are you ladies doing before your working set? Today I did just the bar for 5, then 95 lbs for 3, then 135 for 2, then my 165. I may not have rested enough before the 165 but I completely lost my grip after 3. I just couldn't hold onto it. I wear gloves for DL because the bar hurts/grates my hands. Will chalk help with that? I tried taking the gloves off after a little rest to see if I could get the other two. I only got one and lost my grip on the second. Tips or thoughts?