April workout check in thread - aprilliant workouts here!

Options

Replies

• decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You guys are so inspiring!

I worked out TOO much last week, I think. I know I need a good rest day... I just feel guilty when I take them.

I got my three lift days in last week but I don't think I checked in with them. I finally hit my reps on an increased weight for squat and bench. I'm pretty sure a really good nights sleep and overeating a bit on Friday night helped.

Squat: 5x5x135
    Bench: 5x5x85
    Row: 75 lbs. - missed the fifth rep twice - plus I feel like I'm using my back too much, so may deload.

I don't plan to increase any of my weights this week though until the weekend. I really pushed it last week and my body is tired.
  • decblessings
    decblessings Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    You guys are so inspiring!

I worked out TOO much last week, I think. I know I need a good rest day... I just feel guilty when I take them.

I got my three lift days in last week but I don't think I checked in with them. I finally hit my reps on an increased weight for squat and bench. I'm pretty sure a really good nights sleep and overeating a bit on Friday night helped.

Row: 75 lbs. - missed the fifth rep twice - plus I feel like I'm using my back too much, so may deload.

I don't plan to increase any of my weights this week though until the weekend. I really pushed it last week and my body is tired.
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I have been disappeared in the past 10 days because my toddler was really sick. Things were crazy around here with 3 emergency room visits and extreme stress. I have not worked out during this time, and practically I missed 2 weeks of workouts. She is fine now , so I am going to go back to the gym tonight.
    Should I reload a bit? Or just keep going as no break even happened? I was supposed to do 95 squat, 80 bench and 85 row.

Glad to hear she is doing better!

I personally would deload, whenever I take a week off I usually stay at the same weight or slightly lower. Any more time than that I deload to where I think I will be okay and go back up from there. Helps me refocus on form too.
  • jerilynconn
    jerilynconn Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    Here was my workout today:

Squats 5x5 125 lbs
    Ohp 5x5 50 lbs
    Deads 1x5 160 lbs

1 mile run :)
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies!
    I have been disappeared in the past 10 days because my toddler was really sick. Things were crazy around here with 3 emergency room visits and extreme stress. I have not worked out during this time, and practically I missed 2 weeks of workouts. She is fine now , so I am going to go back to the gym tonight.
    Should I reload a bit? Or just keep going as no break even happened? I was supposed to do 95 squat, 80 bench and 85 row.

Sorry to hear that the little one was so sick. Glad that things are back on a normal track. Two weeks, I would see how you feel and maybe just do progressive sets and increase each one 5 lbs until you get to your previous weight or hit the max point. So start 20 lbs lighter than your last weight. That's what I would do, but I'm not sure it is what many people would.

What part of your back do you think you are using too much, upper or lower? May seem like a duh question, but advice will vary on what part is being called on.

Well, today was no where near an organized gym day for me. Work has been kind of bleh and for the first time in a while, I'm not happy with the job I have so I pretty much just dorked around for two hours working out and talking to a friend.

Did some glute bridges, overhead wall throws, inverted rows, walking bench pushups, full bw dips, 100 lb lat pull downs, weighted pike crunches, spider crunches and showed someone the death march. Also played around on the rings and did some hip tucks, upside down pullups (got 3 reps before losing my balance) and some pullups.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday Ladies...hehe...hope everyone's long weekend was a good one.

Back at it today...again no weight loss this week for me...s'ok...I ate lots this weekend as well. Had the first comment on my diary as well...was funny...they commented on my snacking which was so totally planned it wasn't funny....

@ sara https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRrIsoDpKg try this video it has helped me a lot...
    @llama Yah I've done that too...kicked myself in the butt afterwards...as failure is not a bad thing esp with lifts.
    @fit again holy crap you are strong...totally amazes me
    @jstout nice keep us posted on the sparring...
    @katro I am still doing SL after 6 months...loving it and will see how it goes once I hit maintenance. For me as long as you like and are gaining no reason to stop. I too have injured myself and deloaded x2 now because of that, and due to failures. I have looked at 5/3/1 and considered it...along with reverse pyramid with my husband but he stopped lifting...again...
    @lpelt welcome and great lifts, glad to see you and your mom both...
    @Krok...phew I hate burpees...sort of...good workout tho..
    @red sorry to hear about your little one..having sick babies is the hardest... I would stay where I was and see how that feels...be prepared for possible doms tho...good luck

Workout B for me today...

Moving up to 125 on my squats as my leg is 99.5% there...
    5x5 on those no issues move up to 130 on Wednesday...continue with rehab 2x a day (3 if my husband co-operates at night time :bigsmile: )

OHP @ 85 today which was my deload weight so I am taking 4min rests (esp after first set...wow)
    4x5 and 1x4 :sad: I just couldn't get that last one up...which I am good with...consider the mess I was in at deload 2x4, 3x3 (after I found out my bar wasn't 20lbs)

Form on the last rep of set 3,4 was so laughable...definately staying here failure or no. (need to remember to tighten up glutes and give that deep breath out as I push up instead of leaning back)

DL @ 170 today still working on form but 160 I think was a bit too light...
    1x5 on these..felt like last rep was off so will stay @ 170 on Friday...
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options

Pausing between deadlifts

So a set is defined as a specific number of reps without a rest. If you take more than say 10 seconds between reps this is technically a new set. That being said... I have to wait 4-5 minutes between my heaviest deadlift sets. We're not doing bicep curls here. That 15 seconds isn't giving you a strength advantage; it's giving you a mental advantage. I would note it if you feel like it. Say 2 1 1 1, but if you can lift all 5 without waiting several minutes between reps then I would go up in weight. Eventually you will have the confidence and practice in keeping your form tight to do 5 in a row, but even if you don't I don't think resetting your form and taking a few breaths is a bad thing. Oh and for the best strength gains you have to pause for a moment at the bottom of the rep anyway- if that pause is causing you to lose form then by all means stand up and reset. You're still being awesome and making progress!

I wish you were my personal trainer, lol! Thank you for your thoughst - i repeated 220 1x5 and had pretty good form for 4 reps and should have "reset" for my 5th. Hands were slipping and I felt the bar swing/my back round a little. I think I will continue adding weight (and maybe chalk) and allowing the re-set.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    Repeated 150 lb squats today and they felt pretty good. I did 3x8 of 85 lb good mornings to assist my deadlift. Deadlifted 205 lbs with maybe a 1-2 sec pause between reps. I haven't done OHP in a while, so I only did 3x5 of 60 lbs in addition to my warm ups. They were easy, but I needed that lighter weight today. I'm really liking the idea of Randomtai workouts. I go to the gym 5 days a week at least and I feel like I need accessory lifts right now. It's hard to fit them in when I'm doing 3 compound lifts on my lunch break.
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    I gues it was an ok workout today. Didn't get to do ANY of the lifts I planned, but at least I got something done, right? The bro-force was strong today. Weight room was packed with tools; all but one was doing bench press. The one doing some leg work was actually doing SL, but I thought he was going to seriously hurt himself - form was that bad! Rounded back on 185lb squats was terrifying to say the least. Anyway, this is what I can remember of my workout:

- 110lb squats on god awful Smith machine - 5xAMRAP
    - 90lb lunges on god awful Smith machine - 3x10
    - hanging knee raises - 3x10
    - 180lb calf raises on leg press - 3x10
    - 180lb leg press (plie/sumo position) - 3x10
    - 25lb plate back extensions - 3x10
    - 90lb leg extensions - 3x10
    - 90lb seated leg curls - 3x10
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    Burpees are evil!!!!!!!

Back squat
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5. 185x5. 225x5, 255x3<- that was hideousssssss. I went for a long walk with some major hills yesterday and I could tell. Ugh.

OHP
    45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 100x4 I got the 5th one to the sticking point so it's better than it not going anywhere which is what happened before. :laugh:

Row
    95 3x10

Superset x3
    Leg raises x6
    Tri pushdown #70x10
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Burpees are evil!!!!!!!

Back squat
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5. 185x5. 225x5, 255x3<- that was hideousssssss. I went for a long walk with some major hills yesterday and I could tell. Ugh.

OHP
    45x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x5, 100x4 I got the 5th one to the sticking point so it's better than it not going anywhere which is what happened before. :laugh:

Row
    95 3x10

Superset x3
    Leg raises x6
    Tri pushdown #70x10
    Daaaaaaaaaaayum! I wanna be like you when I grow up! :tongue:
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Not my greatest day. I really need to see my chiropractor about whatever I did to my back last week. I'm also worried I'm not going deep enough with the squats now that they're entering "the heavy zone" for me -- I'm going to stick at this weight until I'm sure I'm down low enough.

Squats: 2x5x45, 1x5x85, 1x3x115, 1x2x145, 5x5x175
    Bench press: 2x5x45, 1x5x65, 3x5x85, 2x5x80
    Bent over rows: 2x5x45, 1x5x65, 4x5x80 (I was getting out of form on the 4th set, decided to call it a day and not wrench my back further)
    Chin ups: 3x10x-72 (machine-assistted)
    Hanging leg raise: 3x10

(Not Bent Iver rows, which may be the tribute band for Bon Iver.)
  • hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I gues it was an ok workout today. Didn't get to do ANY of the lifts I planned, but at least I got something done, right? The bro-force was strong today. Weight room was packed with tools; all but one was doing bench press. The one doing some leg work was actually doing SL, but I thought he was going to seriously hurt himself - form was that bad! Rounded back on 185lb squats was terrifying to say the least. Anyway, this is what I can remember of my workout:

Monday must be chest day because my gym is ALWAYS full on bench press first thing Monday morning.
    Rounded back makes me sad :( I can't lift heavy weight if I don't have decent form and rounded back does not equal decent form.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I moved to my version of 5X5 mixed with 5-3-1. I only do one main lift per workout and focus on that lift only. It has helped me with my form tremendously. I throw in accessory work pertaining to the weakness of the main lift of the day. I end with running from zombies. It has helped me get over my plateau in a big way.

Random, would you giving some details of your workouts? And also, how you feel it helped you get over your plateau? I'd be interested in hearing, if you don't mind sharing. :smile:

I'd be interested in hearing what you're doing too if you feel like sharing. Were you at a lifting or weight loss/change plateau? I've been stuck for months and it's seriously ruining my frame of mind and determination to keep sticking with this.

I was having a plateau in both weight and measurements. I also was stalling out a lot and having general trouble with form on most of my lifts.

I decided to split all the main lifts into their own day, OHP, Bench Press, Squat, and Deadlifts. I now go to the gym 4 days a week.
    I do the rows on bench press day.
    I still follow the 5 sets of 5 reps for the main lifts, but instead I do a progressive load up to my working weight. (Some days I just do a warm up set and go right into working weight).
    While I am doing my main lifts, I try to focus on where I may be having trouble or weakness at.

I then do accessory lifts focusing on the muscles where I am having trouble from the main lifts. I use dumbbells, weight machines and very rarely cable machines.
    For accessory lifts I do 5 sets of 8 reps each.

Then I end with a good 2-3 mile run because I started to enjoy running for some insane reason. :laugh:

ETA- Sometimes I go to the gym an extra day to focus on core work.

Thank you for sharing your tips!!! I might try splitting some things up in a little while when I get back to it. You're not insane, I also enjoy running and I was doing about 2 miles of speed intervals after each lifting session, but especially on row workout day the entire workout is getting a little long! Hope to get some lifts in this week. Had food poisoning all weekend and am just starting to feel human again, but at least it kept me out of the Easter candy!! :laugh:
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    It looked kind of questionable if I would be able to get my workout in today, luckily I forgot about something until the last minute and managed to get everything done.
    Today was:
    Squat 140 5x4 and then just 4 (again chickened out on the last rep) so I am going to deload that one.
    BP 70 lbs 5x5
    Row 65 lbs 5x5
    And my 20 min on the elliptical.

I just have to say that I really like this thread, so much random information and great inspiration, plus I enjoy the .gif on the first page every time I check this thread out :)
  • redheadmommy
    redheadmommy Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies . I ended up reload by 5 lb on the squat and the bench press, and they were plenty of hard enought. I think I am going to stay at these weight for one extra time.
    Somehow I didn't needed to decrease weight on the barbell row. Somehow I do not get this workout anyway.

Squat :
    Warmup: 45x5, 65x5 , 75 x5 , workout sets 85 x5x5
    Bench:
    Warmup :45x5, 65x 5, workout sets: 75 x5x5
    Barbel row:
    Warmup: 45x5,65x5, working set 85x5x5

Extras: assisted pull ups 3x8 with 90 lb assistance, knee up leg raises:4x10

I have an another little bit embarrassing question for your ladies. What do you ladies wear to the gym? T- shirts or workout tops? How do you deal with the bending over and clevege situation? Until today I alway wore very high neck t- shirt style top. Today was really warm and I wore sleeveless and there was definitely staring. I got so self conscious that I literally hide for the barbell row, because I did't want to flash the entire gym with my bending over cleavege.
    I am extremely well endowed. I alway have been big, but breastfeeding made me huge. I weaned my baby 2.5 months ago, but it am still wearing 34 H bra. I may shrink some more, but it is genetic and I alway will be big. Due to my size , there will be some cleavege unless I wore very high neck t-shirt style top. Today, every single women in the weight room was wearing sleeveless, so I was not wearing any less than every other women. However none of those women were doing any bending over, plus none of them was even close to my size.
  • lizafava2
    lizafava2 Posts: 185
    Options
    Thanks for the advice ladies . I ended up reload by 5 lb on the squat and the bench press, and they were plenty of hard enought. I think I am going to stay at these weight for one extra time.
    Somehow I didn't needed to decrease weight on the barbell row. Somehow I do not get this workout anyway.

Squat :
    Warmup: 45x5, 65x5 , 75 x5 , workout sets 85 x5x5
    Bench:
    Warmup :45x5, 65x 5, workout sets: 75 x5x5
    Barbel row:
    Warmup: 45x5,65x5, working set 85x5x5

Extras: assisted pull ups 3x8 with 90 lb assistance, knee up leg raises:4x10

I have an another little bit embarrassing question for your ladies. What do you ladies wear to the gym? T- shirts or workout tops? How do you deal with the bending over and clevege situation? Until today I alway wore very high neck t- shirt style top. Today was really warm and I wore sleeveless and there was definitely staring. I got so self conscious that I literally hide for the barbell row, because I did't want to flash the entire gym with my bending over cleavege.
    I am extremely well endowed. I alway have been big, but breastfeeding made me huge. I weaned my baby 2.5 months ago, but it am still wearing 34 H bra. I may shrink some more, but it is genetic and I alway will be big. Due to my size , there will be some cleavege unless I wore very high neck t-shirt style top. Today, every single women in the weight room was wearing sleeveless, so I was not wearing any less than every other women. However none of those women were doing any bending over, plus none of them was even close to my size.

Nice workout!

I am big boobed and do wear cleavagy-shirts. I wear an Enell bra to lift. So there isn't bouncing/hanging from the v-neck. With big boobs it seems that anything thats not a baggy turtleneck .... enhances - so wear whatever you feel comfy in.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options

I am in no way large chested and the sports bra makes them look even smaller, but I figure if something is showing and someone catches a glance, well then it is their problem. Creepy looks are not nice, but I don't really have much to stare at so I don't get that often. Well, at least not so much that I notice. My gym is pretty good for no eye contact while lifting. If you feel uncomfortable with them being partially exposed, wear clothing that covers. I will always tuck in my shirt on things like bench press and leg lifts to prevent my midsection from showing. Mostly as a courtesy to others and not blinding them with my pasty white flesh.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options

I wear what I want. I am a 32-34D, not as large but not flat chested either. I usually wear a regular bra under my sports bra. I wear compression type workout shirts. Sometimes I wear cute shirts and the girls look good in them. All the guys at my gym stare at my *kitten* anyway. *shrug* :ohwell:
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    EDIT: double post!