April workout check in thread - aprilliant workouts here!

Options

Replies

• Neonbeige
    Neonbeige Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    @katarina YAY, awesome!

@sara yepp :-D

@all great workouts! *thumbsup*

I was able to increase on all exercises today and did my first barbell complex, damn, that's hard and great and uff!

Squats

50kg (110lbs) 5x5

OHP

Finally were able to increase

25kg (55 lbs) 5x5

Deadlift

60kg (132lbs) 1x5

I did a short beginners barbell complex but I felt it and after the second set I felt even dizzy. That's how bad my endurance is :-( but I will keep on doing it.

Plus I downloaded the zombies, run apps. Want to start with the 5k. I think I read that someone of you is doing that? Do I remember correctly? If so, how is it?
  • DianeinCA
    DianeinCA Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Well, I want to start posting my workouts someplace. I started SL in January and have kept at it pretty well since then (I'm not seeing enough of a change, but I've complained about that elsewhere). I also have no idea if I'm doing the warmup sets correctly, but this kind of gradual moving up has been working well for me.

Squats
    2 x 5 - 45 #
    1 x 5 - 75#
    1 x 3 - 95#
    1 x 2 - 135#
    5 x 5 - 155#

Bench press
    2 x 5 - 45#
    1 x 5 - 65 #
    5 x 5 - 80#

Bent over rows
    2 x 5 - 45#
    5 x 5 - 70#

I'm kind of amazed that I've reached 155# on the squats and haven't reached a stopping point yet. I've reached failure on every other exercise in workouts A and B. I'm going as low as I can (parallel or even a teensy bit below), and moved down the guard bars to encourage me to go a teeny bit lower and not cheat.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Plus I downloaded the zombies, run apps. Want to start with the 5k. I think I read that someone of you is doing that? Do I remember correctly? If so, how is it?

I'm doing the Zombie 5K training app, and I love it. I used to equate running with chewing glass, but now I actually love it and look forward to my next workout and adventure.
  • Neonbeige
    Options

I'm doing the Zombie 5K training app, and I love it. I used to equate running with chewing glass, but now I actually love it and look forward to my next workout and adventure.

Ah, that sounds great! Gives me hope :-D
  • KaterinaTerese
    KaterinaTerese Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I'm kind of amazed that I've reached 155# on the squats and haven't reached a stopping point yet. I've reached failure on every other exercise in workouts A and B. I'm going as low as I can (parallel or even a teensy bit below), and moved down the guard bars to encourage me to go a teeny bit lower and not cheat.
    The squat was the one exercise I felt good at (until I stopped progressing, lol). I think because I have naturally strong legs? So it may be the same for you! We all have our strengths :glasses:
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Katerina, congratulations on the body weight squats!!!

We ran our first organized 10K today!! After a week of warmer weather it snowed again this morning and it felt really cold when we started out. Icy bridges and frozen toes. Eventually when I warmed up it was a nice run. I walk one min and run (slowly) one min so It was very slow. My friend is a real runner. She did the whole 10K forwards and then did it again in the opposite direction and finished up about five minutes after I did! I don't think I want to do these organized races because for the last few weeks I have been freaked out about hurting myself so I haven't been doing what I would like to do. My SL workouts have been even lighter than usual. Yesterday I didn't do anything. I will rest up tomorrow and then start again on monday. I am looking forward to it!
  • fisherlassie
    fisherlassie Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Neon - You should be getting close to losing again if your diet is on point. It can take 4-6 weeks so you are almost there. I can't be any example because I never did just SL. I always had something else going on and had been doing some strength training before starting SL. :flowerforyou:

So after SL yesterday, I made it to boxing class. Today I went back to the gym and did two 1 km rowing intervals mixed in with some core work. Wow, I was shaking by my last set of V-sit toe touches. Doing accessory work tomorrow afternoon and then boxing class at night. At this point I am tired and hungry, but feel like:

funny-gifs-lazy-dog-eating-kibbles-off-the-floor-2.gif?w=640

I love this dog!! I feel like this a lot of the time!!
  • Neonbeige
    Options
    The squat was the one exercise I felt good at (until I stopped progressing, lol). I think because I have naturally strong legs? So it may be the same for you! We all have our strengths :glasses:

That's really cool. For me it's the same with deadlifts, reached 132 yesterday, without having had to stop increasing once. Might have been the same with squats but I deloaded due to form issues... Dunno. A totally different thing is the upper body. I was so happy yesterday when I was finally able to up my weight on the OHP

@fisher I understand your point, but it's awesome that you did it!
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Ok, not a horrible workout this morning, but I'm a little dehydrated, so that didn't help (I really need to remember to drink water on the weekends).

Squats 5, 5, 4 at 180. Some of this I think is mental (I'm scared to fail on squats for some reason even though I was in the power rack. Also, I felt like the bar was slipping out of my hands, which didn't help. I may need to chalk for later sets if nothing else for peace of mind.

OHP 3x5 at 67.5. I've gone up to 70 before and failed. Hopefully it will go better this time around; time to move up.

DL 1x5 210. I could feel my back rounding on the last rep. I really wanted to get all 5 touch and go, but I think that caused me to compromise form, so I'm going to repeat next time.
  • DianeinCA
    Options
    A totally different thing is the upper body. I was so happy yesterday when I was finally able to up my weight on the OHP

Oh yes. I've had so many problems with my upper body (in addition to being a woman :laugh: I've had surgeries on both shoulders) that whenever I'm able to lift anything I'm like, "Go me!"
  • LadyDeadlift
    LadyDeadlift Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Woweee - I've been out of touch basically this entire month! Lots of nice progress being reported - way to go ladies!

Finally back to the gym after spring break and life and etc etc got in the way for a coupla weeks.

At the end of March, I'd got my squats up to 160 but was feeling very broke down / posterior chain. So. I'm going to take my time finding my way back. Before break I'd experimented with a low weight, high volume workout and I liked it, so I went for that again yesterday - at least for squats. Everything else took a pretty hefty deload - and even though it makes my ego smart a little bit, I'm mostly ok with that.

I'd seen some friends posting 100 squat workouts and decided I'd go for that.... heh. It was like a vision-quest experience...

Squats:
    Warm 10x45, 10x65
    Work 8x10x95 -- aiyeeee! DOMS today, and it hurts so good.

Bench:
    Warm 10x45, 5x65
    Work 5x5x75

Row:
    Work 5x5x75

Accessory stuff:
    3x10 for the following
    DB Bicep curl 15#
    Lying Tricep Ext 30#
    Cable Crunch 42.5#

This gym doesn't have whatever the apparatus is for back extensions and I miss it so. Except for that this was a very satisfactory workout.

I think for squats next week I'll add weight and then go for reps per set of 7 or so and work back up to 5x10 at that new weight. We'll see. Also, my sweet new road bike calls, and my plot at the community garden opens soon so lots of competition for my time.....
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    A full week off! Threw a few squats, push-ups and litter box rows (don't judge, I didn't have any equipment) in as well as some core work and played some basketball, but there was nothing heavy or even strength building about that trip. Mostly my back is sore from sleeping and sitting so much xD

So I went for full body, low rep extravaganza.

Squats (high bar) - still getting used to those, but I worked up to a set of 135x3 and then 2 of 145x3

Bench Press went up to 105x3 then 2 sets of 3 at 115 (PR, I had never done anything above 110 before!)

Deadlift I was going to go for 200x5, but I barely broke off the floor on the 3rd rep so I decided not to push it

OHP worked up to 70x3, 72.5x3, 75x3 (another PR! Woop!)

Bent over row - my back was shot so these were a bit awkward, still worked up to 85x7 for 3 sets

EZ Bar curl 45x8 / 7 / 6

Assisted dips -100x10, -90x7, -80x8

Gonna nap and go for a short run since the weather is pretty nice today. Glad to be back at it! Going to restart the building blocks workouts and I also subscribed to a crossfit formation course that I'll start on the 28th. Who knows what I'll learn, and it was only 20$ :)

Looking forward to getting back in touch with you gals!
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Options
    Did Workout A this morning:
    Squats - 5x5 - 125lbs
    BP - 5x5 - 75lbs
    Rows - 5x5 - 70lbs

I think I'm getting the hang of the rows (finally)! Today's weren't quite as awkward as they were the last time. Still not putting them on the top of my list of favorite moves, though, lol.

Yesterday I just did some interval sprints on the treadmill followed by the hill program on the elliptical. Boring, but burned those calories that's for sure.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Squat 57.5kg 5x5 (warmup 20x5, 40x5, 45x5)
    Overhead 30kg 5x5 (warmup 20x5)
    Deadlift 50x5 60x5

Upright rows 15kg fixed barbell 8+8+8
    Lat raise dumbbells 5kg 8+8+7 (before the last rep, which I knew I was going to fail, I just looked into the mirror and laughed. weird looks guaranteed) :laugh:
    Pec fly 15.1kg 8+8+8
    Converging chest press 18kg 8+8+8
    Diverging lat pulldown 23kg 8+8+8

Cooldown run 10 km/h 7 minutes 1% incline
    Plank 30+30+30
    Stretching

I tried some machines for some additional work but I didn't really like them. Maybe I will add dumbbell flyes and dumbbell rows after workout B and stick to lat raises and upright rows after workout A. We'll see :) Any advice is welcome! (Yeah, "Don't overdo it and stick to SL" is fine too)

Not too happy with my form today. I definitely need to have a better breakfast now that the work is getting harder.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Had a few more days than usual in between lifting sessions because there's a sore spot right in the middle of my back that I think came from some burpee circuits I did last week. Gotta remember to keep that core tight when I do those stupid things!! So, with that in mind I did a "gentler" deloaded version of workout B last night. Didn't try to push anything and focused on breathing correctly and clenching those hidden abs on every rep, and my back isn't screaming at me too much yet this morning.

Squats - 5x4 at 105 pounds
    OHP - 5x5 at 60 pounds
    DL - 1x5 at 135 pounds

Happy Monday and here's to a fantastic week everyone!
  • Kita328
    Kita328 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    SQUATED MY BODYWEIGHT TODAY! Oh yeah!

WTG!!! That is pretty awesome!

I have been doing pretty good on my squat...I am just getting started (week 4) and I am going up each week.... I am looking forward to my day I can come back and say the same as you

As for workouts- I did workout A yesterday felt good getting strong!

Squats 5x5 75
    Bench 5x5 55
    rows - bah Failure....
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Restarted the Unbreakable Badass 2.0 Building Blocks after my major (and painful) fail 2 weeks ago. Figured I was better off not trying to pair it with other workouts. So. Today was the bodyweight grinder:

5 rounds for time of
    - Squats x15
    - TRX rows x15
    - Push-ups x15
    - Hollow rocks x15

Managed 18.5 minutes as opposed to the original 22 mins. I'm happy with this :)

I threw in some face pulls for my shoulders which have been hurting a lot this past week, and OH bulgarian split squats because 75 bodyweight squats is kind of a joke to me by now lol. Oh, and my 15 unbroken push-ups were a success at the end, too! Going up to 16 next workout :)
  • DianeinCA
    Options
    Workout B today

Squats
    2 x 5 - 45 #
    1 x 5 - 75#
    1 x 3 - 95#
    1 x 2 - 135#
    5 x 5 - 160#

Seated OHP
    2 x 5 - 15#
    4 x 5 - 25 #
    1 x 5 - 27.5#

Deadlifts
    2 x 5 - 45#
    1 x 5 - 75#
    1 x 5 - 110#

On Wednesday I should be squatting slightly more than my bodyweight!

(I've mentioned my frustration elsewhere, but my body is definitely behaving strangely these days -- maybe I've entered perimenopause or something. I'm 5'6", 162 lbs, and since the beginning of the year I've lost 9 lbs. I've lost 163-161 about 6 times now. I'm lifting 3x a week, running 3x a week, walking on my treadmill desk, and eating between 1500-1800 calories a day. I've given up cream in my coffee (I was drinking a lot), lattes 2x a week, and I measure everything I possibly can. My TDEE - 15% is 1900 and I'm under that most days. I don't know what's going on but it's good to get into lifting shape so I can kick something really, really hard. It's a darn good thing lifting heavy makes me feel so good.)
  • spirit095
    spirit095 Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    This isn't much, but I just really wanted to share that I was finally able to do an OHP with the Olympic bar today! I could only do 5 reps, but progress is progress lol. I guess that's my NSV of the day/week :laugh:
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    This isn't much, but I just really wanted to share that I was finally able to do an OHP with the Olympic bar today! I could only do 5 reps, but progress is progress lol. I guess that's my NSV of the day/week :laugh:

Way to go!