How to Do One-Meal-a-Day (The Basics)

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    d2othev wrote: »
    Ok. I decided I would try this today. I didn't tell anyone, because I'm always trying new diets and failing publicly :( anyway, I was starving and decided to give up this morning. I ate a large breakfast and felt really full after. Then I decided I can't give up yet! I didn't even give it a fair try! So, my big meal is early today lol. I will be fasting the rest of the day. So far it's not that bad. It's almost 4pm and I feel good! Wish me luck!

Keeping it to yourself is a great idea...for anyone.

But yes, if done right, it will be hard. And when there aren't good days where staying the course is easy, there will be okay ones and outright bad ones. It will be up to you to make the changes.
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    Sometimes, I really wish I had my meal in the morning, 'cuz I can feel full all day that way. If your lifestyle allows that, then try it! We like to have a family suppertime, and so I have my meal in the evening. I may try to switch for August. Try it for a week and see!
  • arguablysamson
    I moved my meal to the mornings nearly a month ago now. Only thing is, after a day of toiling, you will be slightly hungrier at nights--although, I still found this not so bad. I would eat when I got up, work nights, and go to bed only mildly hungry (hey, no acid reflux!). And when I woke up, I'd never be too crazily hungry to handle myself when eating since I'd be just waking up. I enjoyed this more than ever. Still do.
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    I'm going to start this today (although I had my meal already)! I've always wanted to be an OMAD person but didn't know it was possible to do other than for hermits. Thanks for the inspiration and congratulations on your efforts and results.
  • arguablysamson
    vrojapu wrote: »
    I'm going to start this today (although I had my meal already)! I've always wanted to be an OMAD person but didn't know it was possible to do other than for hermits. Thanks for the inspiration and congratulations on your efforts and results.

Nope, it's not just for hermits! :-)
  • vrojapu
    vrojapu Posts: 268 Member
    Succeeded yesterday, and plan to succeed again today - thank you so much for freeing me from the shackles of regular meals and snacks!
  • arguablysamson
    When you're a month in, then thank me! ;-)
  • christinemac17
    christinemac17 Posts: 56 Member

Did you eat 5 servings of fruits or veggies on this plate or was it just a calorie thing? Sorry for all the questions. I am just curious :)

No, but I am a high-carb person naturally, which, in my view, makes the process more effective. The good thing is, none of that matters. I added in really good-quality, healthy foods as the months passed. Before Christmas of 2013, I was eating pretty well. It's all a process of betterment.

Ask away!

:-)[/quote]

I tend to disagree - very respectfully of course - about the high-carb vs low-carb in this WOE. One of the well known benefits of a LC diet is the reduction of appetite. This is especially true for those with insulin resistance. Personally, when I eat even a moderate amount of carbs in my meal, I'm famished within a couple hours; but if I stick to a HFLC (hi fat, low carb) meal, I have very little hunger throughout my fast. I never get that shaky, weak feeling that many experience.
  • arguablysamson
    edited August 2015
    Did you eat 5 servings of fruits or veggies on this plate or was it just a calorie thing? Sorry for all the questions. I am just curious :)

No, but I am a high-carb person naturally, which, in my view, makes the process more effective. The good thing is, none of that matters. I added in really good-quality, healthy foods as the months passed. Before Christmas of 2013, I was eating pretty well. It's all a process of betterment.

Ask away!

:-)

I tend to disagree - very respectfully of course - about the high-carb vs low-carb in this WOE. One of the well known benefits of a LC diet is the reduction of appetite. This is especially true for those with insulin resistance. Personally, when I eat even a moderate amount of carbs in my meal, I'm famished within a couple hours; but if I stick to a HFLC (hi fat, low carb) meal, I have very little hunger throughout my fast. I never get that shaky, weak feeling that many experience.

Hey, if that works for you and you notice a difference, then by all means, adjust accordingly.
  • cfcandy
    cfcandy Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks so much for your inspiring tale which prompted me to give this a go. I'm 6 weeks in now and have lost over a stone. I've found eating once a day quite easy to get used to with the aid of no added sugar dilute with water drinks and some strawberries in the evening. Strawberries are one of the best fruits for you apparently and they help with the sweet cravings.
    The anticipation of the weekly weigh in is addictive as I near the goals I have set myself and it's exciting to be surprised each week as the weight drops.
    I started at 16.5 stones, goal is to drop a stone a month till I reach 11.5 stones.
    I'm also doing some walking when I can, but nothing excessive.
    Can I ask if the binge day is essential or ok to just cheat a bit and not binge?
    Also, will I continue to lose weight till I reach my ideal weight?
    Many thanks again for your inspiration.
  • arguablysamson
    cfcandy wrote: »
    Thanks so much for your inspiring tale which prompted me to give this a go. I'm 6 weeks in now and have lost over a stone. I've found eating once a day quite easy to get used to with the aid of no added sugar dilute with water drinks and some strawberries in the evening. Strawberries are one of the best fruits for you apparently and they help with the sweet cravings.
    The anticipation of the weekly weigh in is addictive as I near the goals I have set myself and it's exciting to be surprised each week as the weight drops.
    I started at 16.5 stones, goal is to drop a stone a month till I reach 11.5 stones.
    I'm also doing some walking when I can, but nothing excessive.
    Can I ask if the binge day is essential or ok to just cheat a bit and not binge?
    Also, will I continue to lose weight till I reach my ideal weight?
    Many thanks again for your inspiration.

Glad to hear of your success. Many more are now seeing it.

The splurge day depends on the individual. I think of it as a foraging day, not a binge day. Much of my writing has been in addressing serious weight-losers who go all-out and need a break from weeks upon weeks of fasting. If you are closer to your goal and are getting enough calories to where you aren't at a drastic deficit, then the splurge may not be needed. Since you seem to be doing well, you might go a while and not worry about it. It's good to have rhythm, but one big splurge day per two weeks or a month should not be frowned upon.
  • danielleeu
    danielleeu Posts: 127 Member
    Interesting idea, never thought of that before...I know I'm not a big one for eating breakfast generally and tend to only eat 2 meals a day (I know I've heard often how "bad" that is for me not to eat breakfast....)...so this might be one for me to consider. Thank you for sharing! And congrats on your success!
  • arguablysamson
    danielleeu wrote: »
    Interesting idea, never thought of that before...I know I'm not a big one for eating breakfast generally and tend to only eat 2 meals a day (I know I've heard often how "bad" that is for me not to eat breakfast....)...so this might be one for me to consider. Thank you for sharing! And congrats on your success!

Switch over. You'll be blown away.
  • woznube7
    woznube7 Posts: 550 Member
    Looking forward to really taking this head on. I have gone "two meals a day" or have had only one and it wasn't too much of a struggle. I am an emotional eater/excess eater, so these results should be great. Thank you for sharing your story and what worked for you! @arguablysamson
  • arguablysamson
    Welcome, aboard! And thanks. The whole idea is mutual benefit. No way this can't add mucho benefits to your life. I've seen it too many times. :-)
  • Solly123
    Solly123 Posts: 162 Member
    This sounds like my kind of diet. I'm never hungry in the morning. I am starving at lunchtime. And I only eat in the evening if its put in front of me (which it usually is)..

I'm going to get myself organised and make lunchtime my one and only meal time. Has to work.. Most of the food I seem to eat is because it is just there.. Not because I'm actually hungry for it!
  • arguablysamson
    Solly123 wrote: »
    This sounds like my kind of diet. I'm never hungry in the morning. I am starving at lunchtime. And I only eat in the evening if its put in front of me (which it usually is)..

I'm going to get myself organised and make lunchtime my one and only meal time. Has to work.. Most of the food I seem to eat is because it is just there.. Not because I'm actually hungry for it!

Sounds like you know already that it will be a fit. Keep us updated on your progress!
  • ShaniaSoon
    ShaniaSoon Posts: 1 Member
    edited September 2015
    How long it took for you to lose all the weight by just eating OMPD?
  • M_Foote
    M_Foote Posts: 148 Member
    ShaniaSoon wrote: »
    How long it took for you to lose all the weight by just eating OMPD?

If you are referring to arguablysamson, he removed 196.8 pounds in 365 days. Amazing.

• lmt1022mfp
    lmt1022mfp Posts: 2 Member
    Wow - congratulations! This reminded me of how I ate for about 6-7 years, 20 years ago. I did eat breakfast and sometimes lunch, but they were always no carb meals. I might have an egg in the morning (or nothing at all) and maybe some tuna at lunch. But, then I'd eat my dinner, which could be pretty much anything you wanted. The only "rule" was I had to finish in one hour. Like you say, it's very difficult to really over eat during that time. I maintained my weight for years doing this. Folks were amazed. But, it worked. I think it's great that you found something that works for you and sounds like you are much healthier now!