How to Do One-Meal-a-Day (The Basics)

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Thanks.

The thing about natural eating is that it only takes life experiences and a little time to see what makes sense and works.
  • kimberlyhurt
    kimberlyhurt Posts: 128 Member
    I've been doing this for a week and I really like it! I've always been a type of person who doesn't get hungry if I don't eat breakfast. I've found that If I skip lunch too, then I don't really start to get good and hungry until like 5 or 6. Then I can eat an actual meal and be satisfied, compared to the sad tiny meals I used to have for dinner after spreading my calories out evenly throughout the day. Oh, and I lost 5lbs this week! without even feeling like I was trying! OMAD=awesome!
  • arguablysamson
    No doubt about it--OMAD is for you!
  • emmmteee
    emmmteee Posts: 1 Member
    SOUNDS great I,d like to try it.... but I wanted to ask you how did you fit in your exercise while eating just once a day? I mean did you not feel out of energy or weak while exercising?
  • arguablysamson
    edited September 2015
    By the time I brought exercise in (240 lbs), it was light and only once a week. At 205, I went to exercising with weights and brisk walking, and finally, at 196 began a running regiment. But basically, when you have a lot to lose, you don't go the exercise route. Can't with sustained ultra-low calories. Since becoming really active, I will cycle on with more feasting than fasting days. I usually do a larger meal to maintain these days, but like life, all routines must sometimes change. And it's good to stock up prior to exercise.
  • taramitchell3210
    taramitchell3210 Posts: 11 Member
    I have recently started eating twice a day. Mainly because of work schedules, but also because I need to lose weight. The meals I do eat are very small. A lot of my calories come from beverages. I've started drinking water, but not a lot. I have lost around 7 pounds. I'm on my feet all day 6 days a week now, so I'm sure being forced by my job to be active is helping. Keeping busy keeps my mind off of food, too. I will be trying your method in the very near future. I'll just have the challenge of finding something healthy that my kids will enjoy. Thanks for posting this. Most people put a price on their weightloss secret. I really appreciate you putting it on here for everyone to see and take advantage of. Here's to getting healthy!!!
  • arguablysamson
    I have recently started eating twice a day. Mainly because of work schedules, but also because I need to lose weight. The meals I do eat are very small. A lot of my calories come from beverages. I've started drinking water, but not a lot. I have lost around 7 pounds. I'm on my feet all day 6 days a week now, so I'm sure being forced by my job to be active is helping. Keeping busy keeps my mind off of food, too. I will be trying your method in the very near future. I'll just have the challenge of finding something healthy that my kids will enjoy. Thanks for posting this. Most people put a price on their weightloss secret. I really appreciate you putting it on here for everyone to see and take advantage of. Here's to getting healthy!!!

Welcome!

It will be a bit of a transition, but, yes, OMAD will do the trick!

:-)
  • IrisClaireQ
    IrisClaireQ Posts: 3 Member
    Thank you so much for this..I am thinking doing the same, and i will ^-^
  • arguablysamson
    Wonderful. You'll love the results!
  • ashleigh315
    ashleigh315 Posts: 87 Member
    Really fascinating! My husband has never been interested in breakfast and lunch (just eats at dinner) and he's always been lean and in great health. He never even catches so much as a cold. The logic definitely makes sense to me as I know the weight that I've gained has come from snacking when I wasn't even hungry. Thank you for this post!
  • RunRachelleRun
    RunRachelleRun Posts: 1,854 Member
    Very interesting. And now that you are running and lifting weights, do you try to time that so you do this before you eat? I work out in the mornings, and have always been told to eat back at least what I burn within 60 minutes to avoid muscle loss. Just wondering how this would work or need to be changed. What do you think? Thanks for sharing!
  • arguablysamson
    Well, I can tell you I most enjoy running--a few recurrent knee issues aside! :-)

But I have now (re)considered a new weight program, going above the mere bodyweight exercises I was doing. I know that when I eat for a workout, I eat the meal that day when I get up (these days, around 11 am to 2 since I'm back on nights for the time being). I just fill up. It's about 3 plate-fulls of food, plus some stand-around snacking. I am usually done in 30 to 45 minutes.

From there, I let 6 to 10 hours or so pass. I am not picky on the time. I just don't want any food in my stomach. If I feel full at all, I won't want to work out. Once the food has fully been processed and I feel good, I hit it.

And I don't worry about so-called "muscle loss" from missing meals. I believe that is only an issue when a calorie deficit is present and it becomes an ongoing issue. Your body is not going to start burning off muscle if you are getting your calories. It would be counterproductive to both life and survival.

But let me say that you have to be careful to get enough calories because if you need 2,200 to maintain and your meal is 2,800, you may only absorb 2,100 because one meal tends to be less efficient digestion-wise than smaller portions. So you have to make sure you are getting enough, which can be tricky. But basically, I don't worry about it. I can justify eating after or before a meal. I don't think it matters, honestly.
  • lcthatsit
    lcthatsit Posts: 18 Member
    I'm sure this works. I'm going to try it. It seems you are basically forcing your body to burn fat at the same time each day by being in a "starved" state until the designated eating time.
    Thanks for the post! Sounds great.
  • arguablysamson
    lcthatsit wrote: »
    I'm sure this works. I'm going to try it. It seems you are basically forcing your body to burn fat at the same time each day by being in a "starved" state until the designated eating time.
    Thanks for the post! Sounds great.

It does. :-) Again, welcome aboard!
  • almostmrsfox
    almostmrsfox Posts: 24 Member
    Thank you for this!! I have started doing essentially exactly this before I even read this and it has worked great for me so far!! I have already lost 8 lbs as a jump start, and this just confirms it will be something I want to continue!
  • BFKweiser
    BFKweiser Posts: 1 Member
    Thanks!! I've been doing OMAD for about a week now, and it works!! Having said that, since I only discovered your site today, I haven't been limiting myself to the one average-sized plate meal you recommend. No, my one meal a day has been more like three hefty plates with beer or wine. I am able to refrain from food all day because I look forward to the feast at night. Is what I am doing counter-productive? BTW, I found after reading your site that I follow ALL the other instructions, including taking the apple cider vinegar.
  • arguablysamson
    BFKweiser wrote: »
    Thanks!! I've been doing OMAD for about a week now, and it works!! Having said that, since I only discovered your site today, I haven't been limiting myself to the one average-sized plate meal you recommend. No, my one meal a day has been more like three hefty plates with beer or wine. I am able to refrain from food all day because I look forward to the feast at night. Is what I am doing counter-productive? BTW, I found after reading your site that I follow ALL the other instructions, including taking the apple cider vinegar.

Nice. Well, it depends on what you want to lose. The one-plate rule is just a guide for people who need to re-establish a sense of control.
  • nmidwood13
    nmidwood13 Posts: 12 Member
    Does the 1 plate have to be all good for you stuff. I think I could do this if I could make it a mix of good for you stuff and what I consider junk food. If my plate could be fruit, cheese, pepperoni, chicken with the skin and say 2 or 3 Oreo cookies, I think I would be good until my next plate of 4 oz beef, small salad, potato salad handful of M&M
  • arguablysamson
    nmidwood13 wrote: »
    Does the 1 plate have to be all good for you stuff. I think I could do this if I could make it a mix of good for you stuff and what I consider junk food. If my plate could be fruit, cheese, pepperoni, chicken with the skin and say 2 or 3 Oreo cookies, I think I would be good until my next plate of 4 oz beef, small salad, potato salad handful of M&M

No, no need for healthy stuff. Just take control first. Have whatever you want, so long as you can make a meal out of it and stay satiated for 23 hours. That would be your only concern there.
  • misscarla89
    misscarla89 Posts: 3 Member
    It's great to see this here, I have been dieting for about 6 months now and lost just over two stone only to put half of it back on at Christmas. Today it got to 5pm before I realised I'd only had 41 calories today (coffee with whitener and a spoon of sugar) and I wasn't even hungry. I the had a big meal and feel great. I'm looking at doing at doing this every day now as I never really get hungry in the mornings and when I eat that almost "wakes" my hunger up.

Will 41kcal coffee every morning to tide me over til my evening meal mess it up or is that cool?