How to Do One-Meal-a-Day (The Basics)

Replies

• arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    How do we get enough calories in for our OMAD when we are not big eaters? My calories yesterday and today (days 1 and 2) are fairly low. Thanks :). Elizabeth Maryam

You can track it, or use the one-plate rule. I have a video coming on opening a feeding window tailored for you. It is difficult for many people to "tank up" on a day's calories, even at a reduced level sometimes.

If I consider a window of time, would it be reasonable to look at a 3/4 hour window perhaps? Or should I try to get more calorie dense food? I do not want to lose muscle mass, so I would like to try to eat a reasonable amount of protein, in particular. I was thinking of having a protein drink with my meal; which would add 20g of protein; but even calorie wise, it only adds 90 cals. Yesterday's meal was 460 calories and today's was 447 calories and although I am satisfied and "surprisingly" my blood sugars are fine and I am not crashing, and I also have energy to exercise and do activities i need to do, I don't want to continue with such low calories. Would you agree with this? My calorie needs are not high, but I don't want to have things so low that it causes other problems. I would appreciate your input. Thanks :). Elizabeth Maryam

I wouldn't worry, but if you are worried and willing to pay mind to macros, that's fine. Remember...sustainability! :-)

Protein shake is a good way to go to ward off concern. And as far as calories, that is pretty dang low. I'd double that at least, but follow your body. I know it isn't MFP's way, but some do function under 1,000 per day. Just depends on metabolism. Follow the one-plate rule, get an average with your ideal choice meals, and from there, an average calorie count. You'll learn your body's handling of OMAD as the weeks progres. And it may be a few days until your body catches up and starts to reel from the lower calories.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    ElizabethAN2017 Posts: 570 Member
    How do we get enough calories in for our OMAD when we are not big eaters? My calories yesterday and today (days 1 and 2) are fairly low. Thanks :). Elizabeth Maryam

You can track it, or use the one-plate rule. I have a video coming on opening a feeding window tailored for you. It is difficult for many people to "tank up" on a day's calories, even at a reduced level sometimes.

If I consider a window of time, would it be reasonable to look at a 3/4 hour window perhaps? Or should I try to get more calorie dense food? I do not want to lose muscle mass, so I would like to try to eat a reasonable amount of protein, in particular. I was thinking of having a protein drink with my meal; which would add 20g of protein; but even calorie wise, it only adds 90 cals. Yesterday's meal was 460 calories and today's was 447 calories and although I am satisfied and "surprisingly" my blood sugars are fine and I am not crashing, and I also have energy to exercise and do activities i need to do, I don't want to continue with such low calories. Would you agree with this? My calorie needs are not high, but I don't want to have things so low that it causes other problems. I would appreciate your input. Thanks :). Elizabeth Maryam

I wouldn't worry, but if you are worried and willing to pay mind to macros, that's fine. Remember...sustainability! :-)

Protein shake is a good way to go to ward off concern. And as far as calories, that is pretty dang low. I'd double that at least, but follow your body. I know it isn't MFP's way, but some do function under 1,000 per day. Just depends on metabolism. Follow the one-plate rule, get an average with your ideal choice meals, and from there, an average calorie count. You'll learn your body's handling of OMAD as the weeks progres. And it may be a few days until your body catches up and starts to reel from the lower calories.

Thank you. I'm going to experiment with different meal ideas. I unexpectantly wasn't home this evening to cook dinner and was at my Dad's, so it threw off my original plan for this evening. I appreciate your feedback :). Thanks :)
  • ElizabethAN2017
    Well, I finished day 5 and my calories tripled for days 3,4, and 5. I am thinking of switching my meal to mid-day. I was just wondering if the rate of success and weight loss differs depending on the time of day. My food choices were terrible today; but at least I stuck with my OMAD. Thanks :)
  • arguablysamson
    Well, I finished day 5 and my calories tripled for days 3,4, and 5. I am thinking of switching my meal to mid-day. I was just wondering if the rate of success and weight loss differs depending on the time of day. My food choices were terrible today; but at least I stuck with my OMAD. Thanks :)

Makes no difference what time you eat. Just whatever works for you.
  • ElizabethAN2017

Makes no difference what time you eat. Just whatever works for you.

Thank you :)
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    I find it easier to stick with it if I eat at the end of the day, but that is just me.
  • ElizabethAN2017
    blambo61 wrote: »
    I find it easier to stick with it if I eat at the end of the day, but that is just me.

I find that also; but I have been used to having some protein after my workout and I'm used to doing activities earlier in the day. So I am not sure how I am going to work around things yet. I did try eating earlier today, as I was doing a lot of things for my dad and moving furniture and heavy boxes; but I ended up eating a bit again at dinner time.... So eating early is not a good idea for me. Lesson learned. Thanks again :)
  • susieqpatti126
    susieqpatti126 Posts: 8 Member
    Hey there; I've been half-heartedly doing OMAD for a few months. It works on the days I've been doing it...but I've just not disciplined myself enough yet. I was wondering if anyone has cut out carbs as part of their OMAD? I've lost weight before on low carb diets, but gained it back too. However, I'm wondering if there is some truth to the addictive properties of sugar, etc.

Other than that, when I've been doing what I should, my daily calorie intake has been around 1000.
  • arguablysamson
    You low-carb OMAD. I would never dream of it. For me, higher carb foods make my brain work and feel better. I think you're simply going to have to back yourself into that uncomfortable little corner of "I need to get serious about this even when I don't want to." :-)
  • suzielaughlin
    suzielaughlin Posts: 3 Member
    Hi. I own and operate a donut shop so I'm always struggling with eating what we make because we make it really good still by hands. So not machine made. Kolaches, biscuits and gravy, you name it we have it. Donut holes are my number one struggle. I've been on Weight Watchers and then I started intermittent fasting. I came across omad and realize I can do this to get down to my goal weight which is only 9 pounds but I think with this way I can really get there. Thank you sir for giving me coping things hunger and why I don't need this right now I can have it later but I can't have it right now. You rock !!
  • arguablysamson
    edited July 2016
    Thanks so much for your kind words! You can totally own your weight and never struggle again, even though you don't have far to go at all.
  • susieqpatti126
    You low-carb OMAD. I would never dream of it. For me, higher carb foods make my brain work and feel better. I think you're simply going to have to back yourself into that uncomfortable little corner of "I need to get serious about this even when I don't want to." :-)

I've been serious...and losing weight! (Who would have thought :smile: ?). On the off-day I did eat too much, but have a game plan in place (three meals without nibbling inbetween) to help keep my sanity for the next time.

It has been nice to enjoy real food, in moderation. The other part I love is the focus on just one meal a day. That is manageable as far as planning for, counting calories, and looking forward to. I am enjoying preparing meals again.
  • arguablysamson
    Way to go!!
  • etherial1
    etherial1 Posts: 22 Member
    Here's a question: I don't do fruit, sugar, or starchy vegetables. I love avocados and serve them quite often with our meals. We will have, on occasion, some blueberries and peaches.

I read somewhere on this thread, that someone uses coconut oil in their coffee (bullit-proof coffee). The oil negates the fast because of calorie consumption and it's no longer a fast. I drink mine black and keep a glass of water with me all day.

Not to sound persnickety, but am I correct? The oil breaks the fast.
  • susieqpatti126

I read somewhere on this thread, that someone uses coconut oil in their coffee (bullit-proof coffee). The oil negates the fast because of calorie consumption and it's no longer a fast. I drink mine black and keep a glass of water with me all day.

I couldn't find the post, but do remember reading that in order for the beverage not to break the benefits of a fast, that the calories should be kept low (20-30). For my breakfast I have 5% creamer in my coffee, and for my lunch have a tsp. of coconut oil in my lemon water (with sweetner), and both drinks I've calculated at around 45-50 calories each. However, I'm doing well with this...hungry for my dinner, but not feeling like I'm starving.

• etherial1
    etherial1 Posts: 22 Member
    Wonderful!
  • blambo61

I've been serious...and losing weight! (Who would have thought :smile: ?). On the off-day I did eat too much, but have a game plan in place (three meals without nibbling inbetween) to help keep my sanity for the next time.

It has been nice to enjoy real food, in moderation. The other part I love is the focus on just one meal a day. That is manageable as far as planning for, counting calories, and looking forward to. I am enjoying preparing meals again.

I found if I make sure I get adequate protein in my one meal that it seems to be much easier to fast the next day. Could be mental but seems very real to me.
  • blambo61

I couldn't find the post, but do remember reading that in order for the beverage not to break the benefits of a fast, that the calories should be kept low (20-30). For my breakfast I have 5% creamer in my coffee, and for my lunch have a tsp. of coconut oil in my lemon water (with sweetner), and both drinks I've calculated at around 45-50 calories each. However, I'm doing well with this...hungry for my dinner, but not feeling like I'm starving.

I believe that a calorie surplus is a necessary condition for fat gain but maybe not sufficient. The coconut oil doesn't spike insulin much and the calories from it might not have as much effect as those that will spike insulin (insulin causes fat gain). I would still be careful eating too much of it though but I've found it can curb the appetite and not be nearly as bad as some of the alternatives.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Hello! I discovered this off of a recent thread and really like this. I've been doing intermittent fasting (IF) off and on for a couple years now, mostly sticking to 16:8 sometimes less or more hours fasting. I really love it BUT I believe I have Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and sometimes my digestive system has a hissy fit after being empty for so long and then eating a large meal and then I don't feel so good. I think I just need to eat slower maybe and possible take some supplements before eating.

I really would like to try this though, I like the sound of it.

A question though about exercise/working out: do you all do your workouts before or after your meal and are your workouts effected at all? I'm talking cardio or weights.

I also would like to ask if people who do this feel like you're bingeing? To me, the word "binge" has such a negative connotation that I have never used that to describe my actions; I may say that I "overeat" but to me, bingeing sounds like stuffing your face uncontrollably such as eating an entire package of oreos or something like that or eating to the point of being really sick and way overstuffed.
    This plan sounds like literally just eating one meal, a full plate, or one large meal, not 3 dinners in one, right?

Thanks and look forward to looking into this more.
  • VeganAmandaJ
    VeganAmandaJ Posts: 234 Member
    Thanks! That's great to know.

Okay. And I'll be reading more on it. Thanks!
    [/quote]

Hi @WhovianFitNHealthy. My binges were between 3,000 and 4,000 calories consumed at a single sitting. My OMAD meals are under 2,000 and generally around 1,200 to 1,400 calories consumed at a sitting.

Exercise is optional and I don't plan on doing any at all until I'm at least half way to goal.
    [/quote]