Tell me what is under your saddle.....

Options
13»

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    I'm another minimalist. Additionally, I hate the velcro seatpost band that most seat bags come with. Whether we know it or not, most of us are having our expensive bib shorts damaged by rubbing against that stupid velcro strap. That being a pet-peeve of mine, I tend to go with small bags that don't have one.

Maybe I'm missing something... but how are road shorts/bibs (i.e. tight fitting) rubbing on a velco strap about the seatpost???
  • Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    ntnunk wrote: »
    I'm another minimalist. Additionally, I hate the velcro seatpost band that most seat bags come with. Whether we know it or not, most of us are having our expensive bib shorts damaged by rubbing against that stupid velcro strap. That being a pet-peeve of mine, I tend to go with small bags that don't have one.

Maybe I'm missing something... but how are road shorts/bibs (i.e. tight fitting) rubbing on a velco strap about the seatpost???

Hah, I noticed the same issue that ntnuck describes. On the seat bag I have, there is a 1" wide velcro strap that wraps around the seatpost. On mine, there is an excess amount of strap that just sticks out a bit...and this is the part of the velcro that contains the little micro-hook things. Even though I never felt it, it must brush against my thigh a little, maybe when I'm up and out of the saddle on climbs and when the bike rocks back and forth some, and that light contact is enough to cause the Lycra to degrade. It did take me a while to "connect the dots," so to speak, and realize the culprit.

I just cut off the excess bit of strap and it seems to have solved the problem for me though.

• Archon2
    Archon2 Posts: 462 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    britzen wrote: »
    My sidearm is on me during waking hours anyways, so I don't count that. The two rifles I switch out are fairly lightweight, both are around 5lbs with extra ammo. The spare .45mag is the heaviest so I should dump it since if I can't take a predator advancing with my primary I'm not going to really have time to reload. My pack with water is under 10lbs, and one great thing in the Clearwater wilderness is water is abundant. Its a LOT more than what I carried in Nor Cal, but its nothing compared to going down in the Idaho wilderness without tools.

Well, I got to hand it to you, all the extra weight for the weapons would drive me crazy, but if it works for where you are then more power to you! Also, if you even happen to need it for defense or survival then I think the payoff is obviously going to be worth the cost.

Around where I am, the main wilderness animals that could be dangerous are timber rattlers, copperheads, and such, but their reaction is purely defensive so a gun isn't needed, you just need to watch where you are going. We also have plenty of black bears, but they usually have no interest in confrontation 99% of the time and just want to get away.

Edit: I forgot to mention the two-legged variety of predators, and I think avoiding bad areas of certain towns on my road bike is the way to stay out of trouble :) But I can also see why someone biking alone in the wilderness might want a sidearm for that reason as well.

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »

My experience has been that upper thighs often touch or skim the seatpost during part of the pedal strock even when you don't realize it. This is, again in my experience, much less likely with TT/Tri bikes than road, and the likelihood of it happening on a road bike is affected by saddle position. Basically, the closer the seatpost is to the nose of your saddle the more likely you are to rub. As @Archon2 said, it doesn't take much contact at all between velcro and lycra to start wearing and damaging the lycra. Your leg may only touch the post or the very occasionally but if it happens even just here and there it'll be enough to start damaging your shorts or bibs. Pretty much all of my bibs showed at least a little bit of wear until I switched to "strapless" tail bags. Now all is good.

• britzen
    britzen Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Archon2 wrote: »
    britzen wrote: »
    My sidearm is on me during waking hours anyways, so I don't count that. The two rifles I switch out are fairly lightweight, both are around 5lbs with extra ammo. The spare .45mag is the heaviest so I should dump it since if I can't take a predator advancing with my primary I'm not going to really have time to reload. My pack with water is under 10lbs, and one great thing in the Clearwater wilderness is water is abundant. Its a LOT more than what I carried in Nor Cal, but its nothing compared to going down in the Idaho wilderness without tools.

Well, I got to hand it to you, all the extra weight for the weapons would drive me crazy, but if it works for where you are then more power to you! Also, if you even happen to need it for defense or survival then I think the payoff is obviously going to be worth the cost.

Around where I am, the main wilderness animals that could be dangerous are timber rattlers, copperheads, and such, but their reaction is purely defensive so a gun isn't needed, you just need to watch where you are going. We also have plenty of black bears, but they usually have no interest in confrontation 99% of the time and just want to get away.

Edit: I forgot to mention the two-legged variety of predators, and I think avoiding bad areas of certain towns on my road bike is the way to stay out of trouble :) But I can also see why someone biking alone in the wilderness might want a sidearm for that reason as well.

I understand the two-legged predators, I biked through Oakland for many years for work. Here we have reintroduced Canadian Timberwolves, that are Mammoth in size and aggressive, the mtn biker loving mt. lion, and 2 grizz were taken 4mi as the crow flies from my cabin, so during the fall I switch to an Alaskan .44. I'm more concerned if I camp out for the night as opposed to coming across a predator while riding, though the kitties do like mtn bikers, but when I ride in more populatdd areas without all the iron, I feel REALLY light!
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I keep it fairly simple and use a smaller sized bag on each bike. In them I have:

1 tube
    1 tube patch kit (could get more than one flat)
    1 tire patch strip (to fix a gash in the tire)
    Bicycle multi-tool with a built-in chain breaker and tire lever
    Missing link chain coupler
    2 CO2 cartridges with canister OR a Topeak road morph pump on the bike (the best out there)
    Small screw driver

I even have this on my wife's bike even though she can't change a tube, maybe someone else can.
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Tube
    Levers
    Co2
    Swiss Army Knife
    Spare cell phone battery
    Few dollars
  • tonybalony01
    tonybalony01 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    spdoman7 wrote: »
    fast bike, strong legs

:D lol
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I've switched to a frame bag and/or handlebar ruksaks. If anything is under my saddle, it's my sleeping bag and clothes.