how to custom myfitnesspal for atkins

kellymcwest
kellymcwest Posts: 26 Member
I hit the store and ready start phase 1. My question is what do I put for calories on my log here? How does the percentage break down for carbs, fat, protein? Which percent do I list for each. I was at 1280 calories on just counting calories. Do I increase this?

Replies

• strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    I wouldn't count calories for a couple of weeks. It's not necessary and you will drive yourself nuts :)
    When I started on Atkins, I set my macros for 5% carbs, 75% fat and 20% protein. Hit your carb macros and the others should fall in line. Also, don't forget to subtract your fiber from your total carbs.

After a few weeks, you can adjust your calorie goal. I started with about 1500 net.

Good luck!
  • kellymcwest
    kellymcwest Posts: 26 Member
    What does it mean subtract your fiber from you current carbs?
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Under settings, go to diary settings. Make sure under the nutrients tab to set one of those to track fiber. Then, at each meal, or at the end of the day, take your total carbs and subtract those fiber grams, and that will give you net carbs. Some fruits and nuts and such have fiber in them, and since fiber isn't absorbed, you can subtract those carbs from your total.

Carbs - Fiber = Net Carbs.
  • sstolii123
    sstolii123 Posts: 205 Member
    + 1 what Strawmama said!

I set my carbs at 5% as well and everything else fell into place. I did set my calories for 1500 a day however taking carbs out of my diet basically lowered my calories to under 1500 a day.
  • Ely34
    Ely34 Posts: 10 Member
    How do you set your macros? Is this something you are doing in MFP?
  • Mawskittykat
    Mawskittykat Posts: 241 Member
    Go to goals then custom then carbs 5%, fat 75%, protein 20%
  • hawaiiandream
    hawaiiandream Posts: 43 Member
    I set my carbs at 10% which give me 30, but I try to stay closer to 20 or under. My protein and fat are at an even 45%. I keep my calories at 1200 which is low, but I always go over, and make up for it with exercise! It's all about what makes you feel comfortable.
  • TommyZRo
    TommyZRo Posts: 2 Member
    What about sugar alcohols? Is there a way to get that to also show up, so that we can also deduct that from the carbs?
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    There is also a program that you can run that takes calories out of your display if you want to. Over at:

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group

but I forget what the program is called. Someone outside MFP wrote it.
  • menopausla
    menopausla Posts: 2 Member
    Thanks for posting how to set up the % for Carbs, Fat and Protein. Super helpful to me.