Sick of being single :)

cicibeanz
cicibeanz Posts: 77 Member
I'm not one of those people who can't go a week without a relationship...if I were, I'd be royally screwed...but I've been single for nearly 8 years now and it's beginning to wear on me. I just turned 30 and I see my peers getting married and having children left and right, and I can't help but wish I were in the same spot or at least moving toward it. The day-to-day experience of being single still doesn't bother me, but I'm worried that I'm going to wake up and ten more years will have passed with no change.

This is obviously not be trying a make a fantastic first impression on all of the eligible bachelors in here...it's just me venting about stuff I almost never talk about. Hope that's all right. :)

Replies

• scubasuenc
    scubasuenc Posts: 626 Member
    Totally all right. I had that same feeling at 30, and at 40. By 40 I pretty much had decided it was unlikely I would ever meet anyone, and even if I did, family and kids were no longer really an option.

Yes there are things that I feel like I've missed out, but then there are also awesome opportunities I've had because I've remained single.

I reached a point in my life that I don't need someone, but I want someone to share my life with. It is frustrating but I have found it is better to focus on where I am and what I have to offer someone rather than what I've missed out on.
  • cicibeanz
    So very true! Don't get me wrong- I wouldn't trade my experiences or my sense of easy independence for anything, though it'd be nice to share things with a partner.
  • sweetcurlz67
    sweetcurlz67 Posts: 1,168 Member
    I know of several people who have found their SO's here! We should never give up ladies... it could happen when we least expect it! :drinker:
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    I know the feeling. I was single for 4.5 years. Start dating someone last year about 10 months into my healthy lifestyle transformation. It was wonderful to be in a relationship and I cared (still do) for him deeply but as I got stronger I realized that things were not right and that I couldn't stay just so I wasn't alone. That is what old me would have done. It has been rough, ran into him a few weeks ago and it brought it all back. But trying to stay strong.

Also trying to put myself out there (I am terrible at that). I have a lunch date with a gentleman from match.com tomorrow. We will see how it goes.
  • cicibeanz
    Good luck!
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    I've been single for just over a year now. Got cheated on by 3 consecutive significant others with whom I was in long term relationships with.

So....compared to that, being single hasn't yet started to seem all that bad. =) Time will tell.
  • CTcutie
    CTcutie Posts: 649 Member
    I know the feeling well- the day to day is fine but there are definitely times when it really sucks. All I can say is that you should try to be proactive: join things that interest you, get done hobbies that are likely to also be of interest to men, socialize frequently and try online dating if you aren't already. Mr right is not going to land on your doorstep (well, mine hasn't anyway!) & stay active & healthy so that when you find him you will feel great about yourself and be "ready" :-). Because really, the whole finding a relationship thing doesn't work just because you "stop trying so hard". People say that but then POOF one day you're my age & still nothing has changed:brokenheart:

I am still single but dating frequently for a few months now... Here's to staying positive! :flowerforyou:
  • Swilla_Swole
    Swilla_Swole Posts: 333 Member
    You'll be okay. Your a pretty gal. Don't compare your life with those other people who are getting married, etc. Focus on bettering yourself. Are you putting yourself out there? Are you asking anybody out?
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member
    It's definitely hard. I've been single for 5 years. For the last 3 years I was traveling so much it didn't feel like there was ever a good time to develop anything substantial. Now my life has changed for the good so I'm definitely looking.
  • trudywc2
    trudywc2 Posts: 233 Member
    Totally understand. I have been single for awhile now and spending the time to raise my daughter. Loved having the time with her, but now that she is in high school figured I would take time for me. Get back in shape and hopefully find someone to experience life with.

Didn't mind being single and I enjoy the time with family and friends. But I am finally ready to put myself out there again (very scary) and try to find someone to just enjoy life with.

Good luck to you, If you put yourself out there and just be you I'm sure you will find that special someone!!
  • ShrinkingKari
    ShrinkingKari Posts: 52 Member
    I have been single so long that I don't think I would know what to do with a boyfriend. Do you put them in the corner and water them? How often do you feed it? Most of the time being single doesn't bother me, but there are times when I could use a really big bear hug, the back popping kind, or just someone new to cook for that it would be nice to be in a relationship. My issue is I always end up getting pursued by people that I have no want to be in a relationship with and I am nice enough to tell them that, but it doesn't sink in. I have had to move and change phone numbers because of it.
    I figure that a lot of my issue is not just weight, but I also have 3 kids.
  • MariahRea
    MariahRea Posts: 24 Member
    I am 42, can't have any more kids and have been single for over 16 years and before that 8 years single. I guess the only long term relationship i had was with the father of my child at age 15 to 22 and then a short 1 year marriage around 26 years old. i am feircly independant and mostly motivated by whatever else is going on in my life, training, working, grand kids, etc. i am totally willing to be in a long term relationship, even to relocate for the right person. i just think my standards are maybe too high, idk. lol. i am just waiting for the right man, not mr. right now.

Mariah
  • Temporalia
    Temporalia Posts: 1,151 Member
    The feelings and all are normal. When I separated at 30, I was watching my friends getting married, having kids and I had this idea at that time that there was a logical follow up with age: you finish studying, you find someone, you get married, have kids and tada! It stressed me out and pushed me to get into a relationship.

I was single only 6 months before I met the next bf. I should've waited longer, I wasn't ready and he was bad news.

This time around, i'm taking my time, i've been single for 1.5 years, done a lot of things on my own, discovered a lot about myself and tried a lot of new things. I appreciate the time I have for myself instead of being afraid of being alone.

I don't have any kids and decided that if by 40 it doesn't happen, it's ok with me, I don't want to look for a relationship quicker than necessary just to have a kid. Knowing my pattern, I would get in a bad relationship again.

But... lately, I feel like I need someone to cuddle with. It's not a good reason enough for me to look for a relationship.

I'm sure there's someone out there with whom I could have a balanced relationship, but i'm not there yet. Don't stress about it, do what you want to do, everyone has their own path :)
  • becs3578
    becs3578 Posts: 836 Member
    So yeah... still single. About 10 match.com dates so far. All first dates, because not one of them I wanted to have a second date with.

I started a 100 day challenge. Multiple goals including food, weight, working out, and BEING SOCIAL. So saturday I was invited to go to a small show/concert in the french quarter. I'm going. I am nervous about it because i just feel like I really don't do it well anymore. I am great at being a hermit. Gotta step outside the box some time.
  • scrapalooza
    scrapalooza Posts: 335 Member
    So yeah... still single. About 10 match.com dates so far. All first dates, because not one of them I wanted to have a second date with.

I started a 100 day challenge. Multiple goals including food, weight, working out, and BEING SOCIAL. So saturday I was invited to go to a small show/concert in the french quarter. I'm going. I am nervous about it because i just feel like I really don't do it well anymore. I am great at being a hermit. Gotta step outside the box some time.

I hear ya about being more social. :) A concert sounds fun though, enjoy. :)
  • odywithaj
    odywithaj Posts: 53 Member
    Feel the fear and do it anyways :)

My motto for 2014... I can't wait for a new year to change my motto !
  • mrhonesty
    mrhonesty Posts: 274 Member
    I have been single for 3 years. I have dated a lot but cannot seem to find the one. I have a few theories on this but believe it happens when we spent so much time looking for our perfect match, we seem to pass up many good people. I'm guilty of it and trying to change.
  • scrapalooza
    scrapalooza Posts: 335 Member
    I have been single for 3 years. I have dated a lot but cannot seem to find the one. I have a few theories on this but believe it happens when we spent so much time looking for our perfect match, we seem to pass up many good people. I'm guilty of it and trying to change.

I get ya, I seem to have 'fallen' into my past relationships, but being 47 & a single has changed everything. I don't know why I am actually trying to 'look' for someone. I have started just having fun, it will happen. :)
  • StrawberryJam40
    StrawberryJam40 Posts: 274 Member

But... lately, I feel like I need someone to cuddle with. It's not a good reason enough for me to look for a relationship.

I'm sure there's someone out there with whom I could have a balanced relationship, but i'm not there yet. Don't stress about it, do what you want to do, everyone has their own path :)

You are right...we seem to be in sync on bad relationships and what we need now. I do miss cuddling, but you are so right...not good enough reason to look for a relationship.

I do have one child but have never been married. Engaged 3 times, planned 4 weddings, and just couldn't. I'm glad I didn't. I realize now that it was the idea of marriage and being together. But I realized the first few times were during low self esteem times. That pattern many obese women find themselves in where they think they will never find anyone better. It took me a long time to get away from that thinking. Knowing I deserve to be treated better because I'm a woman regardless of my size.

Since then I would rather be happy single than miserable as a couple.

The last relationship burnt me out so bad that I don't think I'm in a healthy place to give enough in a relationship to want one at this time. I've been single for 3 1/2 years. Yes...it was that terrible enough to still cringe at the thought of letting someone get emotionally close to me. I'm not at a place yet where I think I can trust that the other shoe won't drop or they won't be Jekyll and Hyde regardless of how too good to be true they start out as.

I just think this gives me time to focus on my beautiful daughter and my weight loss journey. In there somewhere I can work on emotionally healing to be a smaller but mightier me.
  • Peloton73
    Peloton73 Posts: 148 Member

I'm in the same boat. A bunch of first dates and no seconds. About 90% of the time I'm the one who bails after the first date. The number one reason why is because of inaccurate photos. I just have a hard time meeting someone who looks completely different than their photos. It's not about their appearance, it's about the deceit. I put dates on each of my photos and always have at least 1 full body photo that's less than 1 month old on my profile.

I went on a date last weekend with someone who had photos at least 5 years old. The next day she called me and wanted to go out again. I told her I had fun but we weren't a match and said she nowhere near resembled her pictures. She called me shallow and said I should look past her looks. I told her I would've went out with her with her current appearance. That wasn't the issue. The issue was she was deceiving.