Belt Time

Options
2»

Replies

• juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    Let us know how you like it. Is it a 10 or a 13?

when i ordered it it said it would range from 10-13mm, just depends on the stock they have. so im good with that. i have checked it with somethings i have that are 10mm thick and its just a bit thicker so id say 11mm or so. as for liking it, i love it. did some light, or what started out as light, squats last night with it and wow... i have never used a belt and didnt realize they made that much of a difference. much more stable feeling in my core, and ive never had core stability issues as far up as 475 on squats, but this felt different. i was able to get deeper in my squat and come out of the hole stronger. i worked up to 405 for a single and it was so easy. honestly felt like 225-315. im going to be doing my final "heavy" workout tomorrow for my meet in a week. ill be working up to my openers and if they feel as good as it did last night, i may be changing my openers and go a little heavier....

My advice is to leave your openers where they are and make bigger more aggressive jumps on seconds and thirds.

I'm glad to hear you like it so much. I probably get about 20lbs out of mine.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

when i ordered it it said it would range from 10-13mm, just depends on the stock they have. so im good with that. i have checked it with somethings i have that are 10mm thick and its just a bit thicker so id say 11mm or so. as for liking it, i love it. did some light, or what started out as light, squats last night with it and wow... i have never used a belt and didnt realize they made that much of a difference. much more stable feeling in my core, and ive never had core stability issues as far up as 475 on squats, but this felt different. i was able to get deeper in my squat and come out of the hole stronger. i worked up to 405 for a single and it was so easy. honestly felt like 225-315. im going to be doing my final "heavy" workout tomorrow for my meet in a week. ill be working up to my openers and if they feel as good as it did last night, i may be changing my openers and go a little heavier....

My advice is to leave your openers where they are and make bigger more aggressive jumps on seconds and thirds.

I always get nervous making too large of a jump between lifts. Out of interest, and I realize that this is very variable, but how large of a jump do you usually make between lifts?

I suppose I should try a few options doing 'mock meets' every now and again and see what works best as I like to open conservatively but worry about large jumps - and then end up wishing I had increased more when I end up 'running out of room'.

OP: sorry to side track the conversation.
  • juliewatkin
    juliewatkin Posts: 764 Member
    Options

I always get nervous making too large of a jump between lifts. Out of interest, and I realize that this is very variable, but how large of a jump do you usually make between lifts?

I suppose I should try a few options doing 'mock meets' every now and again and see what works best as I like to open conservatively but worry about large jumps - and then end up wishing I had increased more when I end up 'running out of room'.

OP: sorry to side track the conversation.

Lately I've been making smaller jumps and opening heavier because I've done so many meets and have a good feel for where I'm at.

The last meet I did big jumps was last September, my first unequipped meet in years and I'd just cut a lot of weight. I opened squat at 95 kg and my second was 105. I tend to do this when I'm unsure about about my performance. For example, meets where I weigh in lighter than expected, I'll drop my openers just to make sure I get one in.

Another example is an equipped meet a couple of years ago I opened squat at 130 kg and my second was 140kg.(22lb jump) Deadlift was 152.5 for first and 165 for second (28lbs). They might not seem like big jumps but they are about 16% of my bw for a jump.

I try to train for larger jumps because I stress so much about my first squat I go light to get it in. I also try to train with very few warm ups to save stress and aggravation in the warm up room. For instance, a typical meet warm up for squat is: bar-10, 135-5, 185-2, 205-1.

ETA: The biggest jump I've made in squats was from 107.5 to 120kg in a championship. I opened deliberately low because I'd bombed out the meet previous. I ended up with best lifter at this meet. It's easier to make bigger jumps than struggle on an opener that kills your confidence.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    ^^thank you.

I tend to go light on the warm ups myself - yours look very similar to mine re ramp up/volume.

I have only done 3 meets so far, and all under different circumstances, so am still getting a feel for how I might perform. The last meet I did, I kind of got surprised as to my strength. The one before I had to cut quite heavily to get into the lower weight class - so was off my full strength. The next meet, I did not cut going into it - and so was a lot stronger but my mind was not quite caught up/convinced even though my training leading up was really good. I ended up with conservative openers. With squats, I only went up 10lbs at a time so my 3rd was still pretty easy. Luckily it was an APA meet that allows a 4th attempt for records, and as mine were State records, I had a 4th lift - but kind of bottled it and only went up 5lb....the lift was still relatively easy so I now wish I had gone up more. Then again, weight selection is easy in hindsight!
  • jlclabo
    jlclabo Posts: 588 Member
    Options

i have actually been thinking about that. i think, as of right now, that i will open squat at 455, bench 295, and deadlift 435. that puts me opening heavier on everything except deadlift than my previous meet PRs. seconds are projected to be 485 squat, 305 bench, and 475 deadlift. trying to set myself up for 515 squat, 315, bench, 500 deadlift for a 1330lb total and a 205lb meet pr. that will be nice to hit, but my main goal for this meet is to just total over 1300.