Let's discuss it all. Welcome home.

Options

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't been keeping up guys... summer vacation has kept me busy.

Anyway, anyone with Shoprite tried their new Imported Gelato flavors? My store started carrying them last week. Been getting them for $1.99 and they have several flavors.

Last week I got Caramel Cookie Crunch and Egg Nog. This week I got Tiramisu and a Mixed Berry Sorbet. I've tried them all except the Sorbet which I'll have later this week (going to a birthday party tomorrow so the ice cream has to wait).

I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I like them, lol. On one hand, they're creamy/fluffy like the Breyer's Indulgance Gelatos, which I love. Each of the flavors have an 'alcohol' taste to them, to which hubby commented that on the list of ingredients was Marsala Wine. So I guess that can be both a pro and a con. Also on the con side, the container says there's 4 servings (130mL a serving). My scale has a mL setting and I weighed it out, and there's only 2 servings. Not sure what kind of error that is, if it's with them, or if it's with weighing it. But I'm not overly impressed with that.

Here's some pics I took of them (oddly, there's no images for them on Google, guess they're too new). I actually had to enter the nutrition info in for them, which was oddly exciting, lol.

20150810_210726.jpg
    20150810_210800.jpg
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Ninkyou wrote: »
    Sorry I haven't been keeping up guys... summer vacation has kept me busy.

Anyway, anyone with Shoprite tried their new Imported Gelato flavors? My store started carrying them last week. Been getting them for $1.99 and they have several flavors.

Last week I got Caramel Cookie Crunch and Egg Nog. This week I got Tiramisu and a Mixed Berry Sorbet. I've tried them all except the Sorbet which I'll have later this week (going to a birthday party tomorrow so the ice cream has to wait).

I'm kind of on the fence as to whether I like them, lol. On one hand, they're creamy/fluffy like the Breyer's Indulgance Gelatos, which I love. Each of the flavors have an 'alcohol' taste to them, to which hubby commented that on the list of ingredients was Marsala Wine. So I guess that can be both a pro and a con. Also on the con side, the container says there's 4 servings (130mL a serving). My scale has a mL setting and I weighed it out, and there's only 2 servings. Not sure what kind of error that is, if it's with them, or if it's with weighing it. But I'm not overly impressed with that.

Here's some pics I took of them (oddly, there's no images for them on Google, guess they're too new). I actually had to enter the nutrition info in for them, which was oddly exciting, lol.

20150810_210726.jpg
    20150810_210800.jpg

Thanks for the review. I was thinking about trying them... but I really don't like that serving size is in ML, and I don't like alcohol, so I'll save my money.

Otherwise, yeah, ml on scales is pretty much useless.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I believe mL on a scale is only good for water. I could be wrong about that but I think it's like fluid ounces-- works for fluid but not for food because of density differences.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    For those of you that would be interested, it looks like Blue Bell is coming back to stores at some point.

I think HEB Creamy Creations has filled my needs for cheaper ice creams.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah... I think after I try the mixed berry I'm gonna be done with the SR Gelato. I'd rather just have ice cream or wait for Breyer's Gelato to be on sale. $1.99 for those small containers just isn't worth it to me. Plus the calories are pretty high. If I'm going to get high calorie, I'll go with HD or B&J where I know what an actual serving weighs.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Mr Acrylics and I tried Winn Dixie's gelato. It wasn't great. Okay in a pinch but that's about it. Publix has pretty good house brand ice cream though.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    Options
    Any thoughts about another challenge? We did a fall one last year. Or would you all rather wait and do Thanksgiving/Christmas again?
  • Cortelli
    Cortelli Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts about another challenge? We did a fall one last year. Or would you all rather wait and do Thanksgiving/Christmas again?

I haven't been around much . . . maybe a challenge would get me back into the social aspects of MFP. No great suggestions, though.

• Francl27
    Options
    I'm not really going to be much help for challenges, I don't eat sweets every day anymore.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    I tried Haagen Dasz Artisan Ice Cream, Tres Leches Brigadiero last night. I really liked it. The swirls of chocolate were perfect with the rest of the tres leches flavor (and they may have had hazelnut swirls or hazelnut/chocolate ... I think I tasted that).

I think a challenge sounds fun, except I've been really struggling with fitting my macros. (I've been indulging too much without regard for macros, or even calories, yet again). So I'm not sure about it.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I would me up for a challenge, but I would probably rather do a Thanksgiving/Christmas challenge again.
  • vanessasaurousrex
    vanessasaurousrex Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    anyone know any tasty low calorie options? I Love ice cream and gelato and eat it every few days - just wondering if anyone has tired healthier versions worth trying?
  • Francl27
    Options
    anyone know any tasty low calorie options? I Love ice cream and gelato and eat it every few days - just wondering if anyone has tired healthier versions worth trying?

Honestly I really like Edy's slow churned ice cream.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    strawberry-not-so-shortcake-detail.png

It looks like Wal Mart is going to have this in stock. It looks like something I'm going to want to pick up sometime.
  • Francl27
    Options
    strawberry-not-so-shortcake-detail.png

It looks like Wal Mart is going to have this in stock. It looks like something I'm going to want to pick up sometime.

Yeah that one looks delicious.

I got some Turkey Hill sea salt gelato as it was on sale and I had a $1.5 coupon on top of that. Will have to try it out (I mostly got it for my daughter though).
  • Francl27
    edited August 2015
    Options
    So yeah that Turkey Hill sea salt gelato, saying I'm disappointed doesn't even cover it. The mix ins are good, but the base is pretty much flavorless. Glad it was cheap, and I'm sure my daughter will eat it.

I had a coupon on Haagen Dazs and it was on sale so I had my pick of a pint for $1.30, but choice was limited, so I went with dulce de leche. Don't think I've ever had that one, and again, I'm sure my daughter will eat it as she loves caramel too.