August workout check-in thread - August one more rep!

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Workout A (Sun)

overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 125 (increased 5 lbs)

Reverse curls - 1 x 5 - 80 (too easy, moved up)

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 85

squats 5 X 1 - 170 (too easy, moved up)

squats 5 X 5 - 175

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 65

Barbel Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 95 (increased 5 lbs)

Dumbbell Side Bend - 5 x 25 - 40

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 25 - 40

flys 5 x 10 - 40
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Week 2, Cycle 2 - Wendler's 5/3/1

Squats
    Warm up + 3x125, 3x145, 8x160

3x7 Hanging knee raises
    3 superset rounds, 10 reps each
    - side lunges
    - plyo lunges
    - plyo squats
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Workout A today.
    Squat 95 5x5-will be trying for triple digits on Tuesday!!!
    Bench 80 5x5
    Row 80 5x5- really felt this, needed longer breaks than usual. Not sure how 85 will go...

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of their Sunday.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Squat Day (5's week)
    45x5, 95x5, 135x5, 170x5, 195x5, 225x7

Paused squats
    170 3x5

Superset x3
    Walking lunges x25
    Ab wheel x15

Prowler pushes x9
    135 lbs high there+low back. I must be having some kind of newbie conditioning gains on these. The first week I did 5 in 10:30 seconds. 5 sessions later I'm at 13:37 for 9.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Dinner Date with the DH on Friday so did my workout on Saturday instead...and he joined me....:noway:

It was fun...

Workout A for me...still on that deload (personal choice)

squats 3x5 @ 150...2min rests
    Bench 3x5 @100...90 sec rests
    Rows 3x5 @ 100 1min rests...

Not sure if I am gonna up my weight this week or lower my rests...my husband really enjoyed the workout and he felt the squats...hehe...for a couple days...so I might stay at this weight for squats and lower rests and up the weight for upper since he might be doing it with me...and he found them too easy...(I found them "not difficult") so upping might be good for both of us.

Looking forward to Sept and Wendler...
  • marylynndrake
    marylynndrake Posts: 86 Member
    Overcame the fear of injuring myself after getting great advice from ladies in this group and had a good work out yesterday.
    Squats 125 5x5
    Bench press 40
    Rows 40
    I had been so weak in my arms last lift I had to deload to 30 so I started my upper body lifts at 40, but I should have done 45. Boy the upper body progress is slow!
    It was great to work out and not have stiff knees after lifting. Ready to go again!
  • Gen2703
    Gen2703 Posts: 197 Member
    Hey everyone!!

So after upping the reps on bench press i am proud to say i managed 5x5 with 70lbs just fine (ok the last one was hell but i pushed through!!!)

Workout A
    No squats, no time.
    Bench 5x5 @ 70lbs
    and did rows - single arm dumbbell with 25lbs. I like this WAY better than the barbell rows. I think i'll stick with them for a while. its a lot easier on the back too.

:flowerforyou: :drinker:
  • navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Workout B Today. I'm starting to dread squats. I'm getting through them, but it's a good thing I do them first or they wouldn't get done.

Squats 5x5x90 - I think my form was good this time and I'm going to try 95 next workout.
    OHP - 5x5x60 - I did all five sets, although the last one took some extra grunting. I think I'm going to stay at this weight one more workout, but it felt good to succeed.
    Deadlift - 1x10x115 - I'm trying to focus more on proper form, so it felt tougher this time.

Then I had some extra time so I did hip thrusts. I was going to do barbell hip thrusts, but I was too meh to deload the barbell, so I just did bodyweight until I got tired.

Tomorrow is a rest day, and maybe I'll actually rest. This week is going to be weird, since I have an overnight shift Wednesday, so that always throws off my rhythm.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    squats: 5x5@65. going backwards, but it's intentional. the first set was actually 75, but that was too heavy for another 4.
    ohp: 4x5@45. this was disappointing, and i just couldn't get the last set. however, i'm not letting my left shoulder get out of being the limiting factor anymore, so i guess that's fair. right now 45lb is about all it can do. added 3x10@15 with dumbbells to make up for the missed set. most definitely my left shoulder is most definitely much weaker than my right one. so, ready to start paying the dues on that one, i think.
    deadlift: 5x1x 110. check that one out :laugh: i kind of leapfrogged over 100 with that, but it seemed worth trying given 90-something from a lower bar position felt so easy last time. plus, jumping straight to 110 let me use the big plates on the 20lb bar and so actually be lifting from 'standard' bar height for the first time since i don't know when. it wasn't easy, but it, well . . . it kind of was.

accessory:

plank for i dunno, between 30 secs and a minute. some time on upper hamstrings doing a strengthening thing i saw on one of elliot hulse's open gym vids, some lower abs stuff same. lots of quad/hamstring/upper leg stretches.

and oh yeah; 3x10 one-armed bent-over rows at some no-problem weight like 15lb, right at the end.
  • SezxyStef
    Hey ladies quick check in before bed...

did workout B today...still on my deload.

Squats @ 150 3x5 (2min rests)
    OHP @ 83.5 3x5 (2.5min rests)
    DL @ 170 1x5

Husband worked out with me again...and then we went for a short walk...was nice.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    @stef nice that you and hubby lift together! Mine keeps making noises about joining me, but never does lol

Workout for me last night

Squat 5x5 @ 126lbs
    OHP 5x5 @ 55lbs - still trying to get my form right
    DL 5x5@ 120lbs - deloaded and working my way back up

Plus some single arm/single leg accessory stuff
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    531 Bench day "5" week

Bench
    45x10, 65x10, 85x5, 95x5, 110x11, 120x5, 130x3, 140x1- this felt super easy so I went for another one and it barely even came off my chest. I did the roll of shame, and some nice boy who was squatting attempted to come to my rescue. :laugh:

Paused
    85 3x5

Supersets x3
    Assisted pullupsxN
    Pushups x10

Cardio fun timex5
    35# kb swingx7
    burpees x7
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Squat 150 5x2 145 5x3
    OH. 80 5x1 then 75 5x4
    5x1 @ 170 for DL

The dead lift felt good :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    My first 5/3/1 day. Deadlifts
    Warm up + 115x5 135x5 150x8 (I did some creative rounding to make it easier to load up)

I did my accessories as kind of a circuit just because I feel like I am missing out on some HIIT cardio (I just do some boring LISS at lunch)
    Front squat 65 lb, Calf raises 65 lbs, side bends 25 lbs, axe chops 25 lbs

10 reps each one, 5 times.

It was a nice change from the usual 3 heavy lifts but I need to work on front squat form. The whole movement just feels really weird and holding the bar is hard.
  • jcdoerr
    jcdoerr Posts: 172 Member
    Wow, you all have been so busy posting awesome workouts that I can't keep up!! Fabulous work everyone! :flowerforyou:

Tonight was my first lifting workout in close to 10 days. Wasn't an intentional break but work and the recent social calendar have made for some crazy days lately. It felt good to get back to it today and fall back into the routine. That said, I did workout A tonight.

squats - 3x5 at 135 pounds.
    BP - 4,5,4 at 105 pounds.
    rows - 3x5 at 100 pounds (deload from 110).

Core accessory stuff mixed in there, and ended with 2 miles of sprint intervals.

I think I'm going to maintain the weight and increase the reps for the rest of my workouts this week. Leaving this weekend for a 2-week work trip and it's pretty unlikely I'll get any workouts in during that time. Maybe I'll tackle the crazy burpee challenge that I've been reading about in my hotel room, and hopefully not piss off whoever is in the room below me!
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    I was up and at 'em early this am. 4:30 :yawn: I have to say, I liked it. Rolled out of bed, got a glass of water, and walked in the garage. Wore my pj pants and tee shirt too. Squatted barefoot today for the first time. @fittreelol had reminded me the other day of my awful habit of lifting my heels slightly while coming up. Thanks again for pointing it out. Barefoot really helped me to feel my heels on the floor the entire time.

Workout B
    Squat-100 lbs 5x5--Who can squat triple digits??? MEEEEE! Never before in my periods of intermittent exercise have I done 100.
    OHP- What a jerk she is. 65 lbs 5,5,4,5,4 --It doesn't even make sense. Guess I probably lost concentration on set 3. Staying here.
    DL- 125 lbs 5x1--barefoot helped with this too.

I am really going to try to keep up with this early morning thing. It will make things so much easier and I won't feel guilty for exercising instead of spending time with the family. Just need to make sure I get to bed early enough.

Have a great day, everyone!
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Workout A (Tues)

Bench press - 5 x 5 - 95

deadlifts 5 X 1 - 160

squats 5 X 5 - 180

Reverse curls - 5 x 5 - 90

Overhand bicep curls - 5 x 5 - 130
  • katro111
    katro111 Posts: 632 Member
    Did Bench Press last night (Week 2, Cycle 2, Wendler's).
    Warm up + 3x70, 3x80, 6x90

Bicep curls, upright rows, bent over rows with empty bar (45lbs): 7, 9, 11, 13 reps

I foam rolled like crazy, but I got a case of wicked DOMS from Sunday's squats that I'm STILL feeling today! It's supposed to storm today anyway so I will skip my usual Tuesday HIIT sesh on my lunch break.
  • SezxyStef
    @stef nice that you and hubby lift together! Mine keeps making noises about joining me, but never does lol

hehe he is just back after a long rest...and sore the poor baby...

He isn't one for building strength...he likes a reverse pyramid...so I think he is joining again as I mentioned/showed him the Wendler 5/3/1 program...right up his alley.

*crosses fingers he continues* it's nice.

ETA: I didn't mention it was a strength building routine...:devil:
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    @psych my husband stopped making the noises after he did one session and was in pain for a week. Not sure i want him to try again. :laugh: Ok, it would be nice but i hated the complains that it hurt. Wus!

@Llama I do front squats once in awhile and i find it weird to hold the bar also. I now do arms crossed thing. My wrists hurt the other way.

@bruerin congrats on 100!! I like the early morning workouts also although hubby hates that i go to bed at 9.

As for me, I havent done anything since thursday last week and now im not sure when i will be back. :sad: I dream about lifting lastnight and that is about all i can do now. This hand, foot and mouth disease is kicking my butt! Started on friday with a fever and body aches. Sore thoat came after that and I finally dont want to cry with every swallow i take. So my diet break hasnt been as much fun since it hurts to enjoy all the foodz. Oh and I am starving all the time which really sucks when it hurts to eat or drink. :grumble: Yesterday I thought i was feeling better so i was busy with housework since nothing was touched all weekend... then i had to work in the afternoon and i was beat when i was done. I also noticed that i am getting the blisters from this disease on my feet, hopefully not my hands. UGH!! My kiddos, well oldest only had a few blister on his hands, daughter had blisters on her chin and neck and 2 on hands but little one.... OMG I feel so sorry for him. All over his body except stomach and back, there is just had rashes. He has his appetite back, thankfully but his legs are bad. I sent a nasty text to my ex husband and sent to few pics of my son to show him what he did by not telling me till it was to late. No response and i know what i would hear back anyways. Sorry that was venting there. haha