August workout check-in thread - August one more rep!

Options

Replies

• navygrrl
    navygrrl Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Workout A today. I've not been sleeping well due to family issues, but anyway.

Squat - warmup + 5x5x90. Felt good, better than 85 for some reason. Will go up to 95 next workout.
    Bench - warmup + 1x5x80, 1x4x80 - had to be rescued by my 14 year old, otherwise would have had to do roll of shame LOL, 2x3x80, 1x4x80. I think I could have done better if I had my mind in the game more.
    Row - warmup + 5x5x80

I really enjoy doing the warmups on bench, since the warmup weights are ones I used to struggle with.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    I totally want one of those shirts!

Deadlift day
    45x10, 135 x5, 185x5, 225x5, 240x5, 280x5

Paused deads
    135 3x5

Box hypers
    3x10

Ab wheel
    1 until I realized I had some sneaky doms still from Sunday and it was not happening.

Prowler push x9
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    OMG those shirts - I'm dying here!

@stef - I might have to have the hubs check our Wendler, thanks for the idea :flowerforyou:

@massage - sorry to hear you and your kiddos are unwell. The docs originally thought my wee boy had chickenpox, but now they've confirmed it to be HFM as well :sad: he only has blisters on his hands, face and top of his feet but he looks so terrible. I want his baby skin back again :sad:

@willrun - your progress pics are awesome!!! :drinker:

Lifted last night - I think it was A - I dunno I forget which one is which haha

Squat 5x5 @126lbs - felt good, happy to move up now
    Bench 5x5 @60lbs - again felt good, moving up
    Row 5x5 @77lbs - eh, not really feeling it, but we'll see

Accessory stuff - lat pulldowns, pistol squats with 15lb weight, pushups

after eating at maintenance for a week, then deloading all my lifts, my weight has dropped again - strange. I think i'm going to increase weight to my lifts a little slower this time. I'm enjoying focusing more on form than weight. I also tried out some body fat scales this morning and they put me at 28% - right in the average range I think.
  • ketoandbarbell
    ketoandbarbell Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    @psych sorry he's got it. Ugh I would so take it for my guy if I could. The mouth ones were the worst, cried when he would eat or drink anything, I don't think he other sore bother him. He has his appetite back now and blisters are looking better. They say a week and they are better and he is coming up on a week from fever tomorrow. Hope your week goes fast!
  • starmickey03
    starmickey03 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Was short on time today, so I couldnt do any accessory work.

Squats - 1x10 (95 lbs) 1x10 (115 lbs) 1x10 (135 lbs) 1x5 (145 lbs) 5x5 (155 lbs)

Barbell Row - 5x5 (95 lbs) I should have been at 100 lbs a few workouts ago, but Im still too chicken to try.

Bench Press - 5x5 (85 lbs)
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    not going lifting today. there's a possible contract lead with a daunting bike ride, so i went out and tried it before telling the recruiter whether or not to put my name in. i got lost and only did the first 10 miles before i came home, but that was enough for one day. it ain't my head that's about to go bald, and it ain't the lifting that's going to do it. i may have just done my own brazilian here.

it is a *very nice ride*, that's the confounding factor. it's too far - it just is. 22 miles every day is too much, especially since i'd be doing it through the winter, with rain gear and all. and the way that i'd want to do it for safety reasons is probably closer to 24. that's an hour each direction, if i'm honest and realistic about my abilities here. two hours of hard-core cycling every day, because it's not like there's many stop signs or places to catch your breath at while the lights change. it's just designated bike path pretty much the whole way.

but it's such a nice ride . . . it's a nicer ride than the 15 miles that i rode every day for the year before this, which i'm still doing now just to keep my legs up. in fact (curses!) it's the nicest ride that i've *ever* checked out. i can't believe this because i know the hills of the city i'd be riding to. they're so steep if you're walking north, a lot of them get closed at the first signs of snow. but somehow the bike route to get there has the thing i've prayed for for years, and have never gotten: nothing over a 6% grade the whole way. there's nothing *flat* in it anywhere, but the whole thing is just this gentle 4% at the most, with only a couple of very short sticky patches.

i'm coming from a ride where the first thing that faces you out of the gate is a solid heartbreaking mile at a 10% grade, which i dunno. might be a nothing to somebody else but with me it's more like it made a broken-spirited pack mule of me. i'll take 6 miles of slope over a mile of real hill, any time. so now i'm ambivalent. too far and too long, but so pretty . . . so kind to the knees . . . and no cars! it's like being out on a bike ride for fun, or something. it's just i don't know how 'fun' having to do it twice a day every day would turn out to be in the end.

anyway. tl;dr: i rode too far and i didn't go lifting today. someone here said a brilliant thing about picking up pcv pipe for rolling, and i went off and did that at last. finally. . it's not that i couldn't find a 'real' foam roller, but i resent both the markup and all the 'lifestyle' packaging that supposedly justifies it. plus, i got desperate enough to use an empty wine-bottle last night on my quads and it felt great, so firm is clearly okay in my case.

i've got my pipe and i'd get down on the floor with it now, but it feels like too much work atm.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    also. i just popped a (cheapo knockoff) tennis ball into two halves by rolling on it with my rock-solid glutes, so clearly i need to move up a few grades. i'm still hoping to find a large one of those rubber super-bounce balls as lacrosse ones seem so hard to find. in the end i went with what the store had, which was a regulation 'soft'ball, but i think i should have just gone with the baseball instead.
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Workout B (Thurs)

underhand bicep curls 5 x 5 - 130

Reverse curls 5 x 5 - 90

Overhead Press, Barbell - 5 x 5 - 65

Barbel Row, Bent Over - 5 x 5 - 95

squats 5 X 5 - 185

Dumbbell Skis - 5 x 25 - 40

flys 5 x 10 - 40
  • Crowhorse
    Crowhorse Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    Workout B (Thurs)

Reverse curls 5 x 5 - 90

squats 5 X 5 - 185

flys 5 x 10 - 40

Wow, nice squats!
  • krokador
    krokador Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    It's been a while since I last checked in so I figured I'd share today's fun times :)

Squats, 4 sets of 3 at 115lbs and a submax set of 12 (basically stopped when my reps became too sketchy, didn't go to failure. I DO have a race in 2 days). I did 2 sets of speed squats (1 high bar, 1 low bar) and 2 sets of 2 seconds pause (high and low again. My low bar has gotten kinda crappy). Managed to get them all on video, too! Yay my cam didn't crash xD

Then did 50 band pull-ups for time with approx 80lbs of assist. Took like 12 sets and 9 minutes? It was pretty pathetic lol.

4 sets of 10 narrow stance 3 second pause BW squats superset with hammer curls @ 15lbs x 12 (I hadn't done bicep curls in FOREVAH!)

3 sets of 10 box step downs per side and 30s hollow hang on bar. I'm feeling my grip has gottena lot stronger =D

Finished up with 3 sets of 10 deck squat attempts with a 20lbs KB (managed 6 full ones total xD) and 30s superman

AAaaand 2min AMRAP sitouts = 27

There might be 50 burpees for time once I get home from work. Depends how I feel then. Such busy!
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Squat - 2 x 5 - 65 lbs
    5 x 5 - 135 lbs

Bench - 1 x 10 - 45 lbs
    - 5 x 5 - 100 lbs

Got to the gym too late and didn't get to do my Pendlay Rows like usual, but last time I did 5 x 5 - 90 lbs

This was Tuesday night. Then yesterday my left shoulder was hurting - bad. My left arm is a lot weaker than my right. I did a few arms stretches yesterday. Today it feels fine - thank goodness!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    Workout B (and Day 2 -- I'm a newbie!)

Squat -- Due to shoulder issues, I'm having to replace these with incline leg presses for now.
    5x5 - 320 lbs

Overhead Press -- Due to lack of strength, I had to use a machine instead of the bar.
    5x5 - 20 lbs
    But! I did later find a 20 lb. barbell, so will be doing them using that from now on.
    1x5 - 20 lbs barbell

Deadlift
    1x5 - 65 lbs (with plates underneath for height)

Already excited for Friday!
    :) Courtney
  • amberj32
    amberj32 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Workout B (and Day 2 -- I'm a newbie!)

Squat -- Due to shoulder issues, I'm having to replace these with incline leg presses for now.
    5x5 - 320 lbs

Overhead Press -- Due to lack of strength, I had to use a machine instead of the bar.
    5x5 - 20 lbs
    But! I did later find a 20 lb. barbell, so will be doing them using that from now on.
    1x5 - 20 lbs barbell

Deadlift
    1x5 - 65 lbs (with plates underneath for height)

Already excited for Friday!
    :) Courtney

I started June 23 along with my daughter. They have a lighter weight set at my gym and the bar is 10 lbs. My overhead press starting was 30 lbs. I will be doing 85 lbs tonight. It gets easier. The day after my first day I thought I was going to die, it hurt to even walk.
  • bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Workout A today
    Squat 105 lbs 5x5
    Bench 85 lbs 5x5
    Row 85 lbs 5x5--this was really hard. Suspect next workout I'm going to have trouble with 90.
  • Fittreelol
    Fittreelol Posts: 2,535 Member
    Options
    OHP day
    45x5, 60x5, 75x5, 80x10, 85x4, 95x1

Superset x3
    Machine assisted pullup x10
    Machine assisted dip x10

Then I was outta there!
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Workout B (Thurs)

Reverse curls 5 x 5 - 90

squats 5 X 5 - 185

flys 5 x 10 - 40

Wow, nice squats!
    Thanks!
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Now i'm HUNGRY!!!

2329atg-w484h484z1-42929-always-hungry.jpg

I'm ordering this shirt the next time I get paid :laugh:
    Order me one too while you are at it. :)
  • perseverance14
    Options
    Reading through the past few days, everybody is really impressive, go us!
  • TravelsWithHuckleberry
    Options
    i've always been a little afraid of the same kind of thing because i sneeze BIG. one foot comes off the ground like a horse kind of sneeze.

This totally made me laugh out loud. I have the best mental picture in my head right now. :)
  • Llamapants86
    Llamapants86 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    Squat day
    Warm up, 100x5 115x5 130x8
    Then SLDL 95lbs, Glute bridges 95 lbs and burpees
    10 reps each 5 times.
    Felt pretty good!