Perfect meal soup for fall

Options
mariluny
mariluny Posts: 428 Member
I just made this yesterday and it's for sure a new quick meal to make at home.

tortellini and spinach soup (2 big portions)

1 carrot
1 celery
1 small onion
1 clove of garlic
6 cups of chicken broth
2 cups of cheese tortellini
2-4 cups of fresh baby spinach

Dice all the vegetables and mince the garlic. make it sweat in a bit pot with a tsp of olive oil for about 3-4minutes. Add the broth and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
Add the tortellini to the soup base and let cook as per package instructions. Once cooked, add the spinach, mix and serve immediately.

I really like soup during the fall. Such a comforting meal yet forgiving in calorie and eating 2 bowls is usually not an issue! Anyone else have good recipe to share?

Replies

• bruerin
    bruerin Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Sounds good! Thanks for sharing!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    this looks yummy... but I'm one of those crazy people who loves soup all year round. 95 degrees on the beach and I'll pour hot sauce into the pumpkin soup
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I am doing something very similar tomorrow. I am adding a can of organic chick peas instead of the tortellini for protein and a big handful of baby kale. Very satisfying!!
  • jerber160
    Options
    mmmmmmm
  • walk757
    walk757 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    perfect, thanks for sharing!
  • addiec1
    addiec1 Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I'm going to give this a try
  • Squatch3099
    Squatch3099 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    These recipes freeze very well too!:drinker:
  • jerber160
    Options
    I had a remarkable pumpkin/butternut squash/curry soup last week. amazingly good.-restaurant. would love the recipe
  • peacehawk
    peacehawk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I may try this today. I still have fresh spinach and chard in the garden, and baby ravioli in the freezer to use up. I only have 3 cups of chicken stock handy, but I have a couple dozen quarts of delicious home canned veggie stock that I canned. Sounds delicious to me! :D
  • superraachel
    superraachel Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the recipe! I LOVE soup in the fall. I had 2 med/large acorn squash left over from our garden this year that I had to use up, so I made the following soup. It was delicious! Even my anti-squash husband said wow that is a good fall soup!

Acorn Squash & Apple Soup

1 med yellow onion, chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 med celery stalk, chopped
    1 large carrot, diced
    1 Tbsp butter
    2 med acorn squash
    1 med apple (I used Fuji, but any will work), peeled, cored, chopped
    3 cups low sodium chicken or vegetable broth
    1/8 tsp of nutmeg
    1/8 tsp cinnamon
    salt and pepper

I pre-cooked my squash in the oven (halved, seeded, 350 F for 45 min), but you could put it in the microwave too to save time. Add first 5 ingredients plus a little salt/pepper to a big soup pot and sweat for a few min. Add squash, apple & broth, let simmer on med-low 10-15 min. Transfer soup to a blender/food processor in batches and blend. Put back in pot and add spices and S&P to taste. Simmer 10 more min (not necessary, but I think it brings out the flavors). Serve or portion out and freeze.

Nutrition Facts
    Servings 7-8 (1 cup ea)
    Calories 89 Total Fat 3 g Saturated Fat 2 g Monounsaturated Fat 1 g Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g Trans Fat 0 g Cholesterol 7 mg Sodium 259 mg Potassium 387 mg Total Carbohydrate 15 g Dietary Fiber 2 g Sugars 4 g
    Protein 2 g Vitamin A 55 % Vitamin C 19 % Calcium 4 % Iron 5 %
  • Slinky92
    Slinky92 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I love any squash soup! Thanks for sharing!
  • runningfool81
    runningfool81 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing! OMG...I'm definitely going to try the Squash & Apple soup. Thanks for posting the nutrients also.....very easy.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Options
    Sounds really yummy! For my weekly "pot of something" this week I made turkey soup (turkey, noodles, carrots, brussel sprouts, onion, red potatoes, cannelini beans, corn), last week I had some kale, Italian sausage, potato soup, and this weekend I plan to make some butternut squash soup. I'm definitely in soup mode right now.

• irwinka64
    irwinka64 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    i have a buternut that i will try with that recipe, sounds good
  • gringo43
    gringo43 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Saved. Both Tortellini and Acorn Squash. Thanks!
  • shunggie
    shunggie Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I made the Acorn Squash soup yesterday. It was delicous. Thank you.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    mariluny wrote: »

1 carrot
    1 celery
    1 small onion
    1 clove of garlic
    6 cups of chicken broth

Dice all the vegetables and mince the garlic. make it sweat in a bit pot with a tsp of olive oil for about 3-4minutes. Add the broth and let simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the veggies are soft.
    Add the tortellini to the soup base and let cook as per package instructions. Once cooked, add the spinach, mix and serve immediately.

I really like soup during the fall. Such a comforting meal yet forgiving in calorie and eating 2 bowls is usually not an issue! Anyone else have good recipe to share?

This is on of my go-to favorite soups. Another spin on it that I do sometimes is to put in a small can of diced tomatoes. Also, sometimes I use the frozen spinach that comes in a cube, and squeeze out the water after it has defrosted before adding it to the soup. The only spice I use with this soup is ground pepper and a some parsley.
  • NewMeSM75
    NewMeSM75 Posts: 971 Member
    Options
    Tortellini Soup sounds aaaamazing !
  • yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    mariluny wrote: »

1 carrot
    1 celery
    1 small onion
    1 clove of garlic
    6 cups of chicken broth

• yturie47
    yturie47 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I used dried tri color cheese tortellini from Italy. The package was so small I thought maybe I should use 2 but it made plenty when cooked. Very delicious supper. Served with bread sticks and added a touch of olive oil and grated Parmesan cheese to the soup when served. Thanks for a lovely soup.