low carb and calorie counting

Options
Sabine_Stroehm
Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
Many of you know me. I'm not low carb (but I do focus on eating SLOW carb). But, I respect low carb eaters.

I do have a question, however, for my own edification.

How many of you are low carb AND do calorie counting?

thanks for indulging me. Cheers.

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I did it for a while. I think its valuable to do it, especially when first starting LCHF, because it can take a little bit to re-calibrate what "enough" and "too much" feels like. It is as much for making sure you're eating enough food as it is about making sure you're not eating too much, though, but I think both are important.

I don't particularly do it now, but I will log for short periods of time to make sure I'm still eating about what I'm supposed to be eating. I generally do it if I'm dealing with drastic changes in activity level or feel like I'm not getting anywhere or start seeing an upward trend in the scale.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,966 Member
    Options
    I began doing keto (20g/daily) last year and did not count calories. I lost the water weight and nothing else. It was very frustrating and the siren carbs called me, and since I am weak in that regard, I gave up. This go-around, I try to keep it at 20g but don't get too upset if spinach or some veggie sets me as far as 30g). It worked for the first few weeks, but then I had to start counting calories. I have lost very steadily since I began tracking on here again.

My calorie level is supposed to be 1480, but if I exercise that day, I can go as high as 1550 before getting in a snit. That said, some days I'm full on 1300-1350. Or even have to push to make it there.

HTH. :smile: I love curiosity.
  • mrsfancyab
    mrsfancyab Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm a newbie to LCHF I've been strict for 2 weeks now. I do count my calories. I try to stay @ 1400 a day.
  • 17JayR
    17JayR Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    When I was actively working on losing weight I did try to keep my calories slightly below the amount of my estimated TDEE most days. Nowhere as low as what MFP said I should be at but 200-400 calories below. Now that I'm staying at about 5 pounds above what BMI says would be a healthy weight and smaller then I've been since junior high, I'm not all that worried at how many calories I eat, but track to check what I end up eating, as I like the data.
  • kkimpel
    kkimpel Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I do count calories.. but I think it messes with my carb count. Like if I have so many calories left.. maybe I can have (fill in the blank with a carb) This week I want to concentrate on my carb intake. I think slow carbs is a very good idea, and will want to hear more about that in a few weeks when I finally reach my goal and want to add carbs.
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Me. Bigtime calorie counting.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I watch them, but I don't focus on them. I focus more on keeping my carb count where I want it.
    I have found that my calories average out at the end of the week. some days are 1100 or so and some are 2000 cals.
    I lost 5lbs doing it I think!!!!!
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I do, thanks to PatchEFog's help figuring out where I should be. I stalled and I knew I'd be stuck counting calories again (not just carbs). But, thanks to following LCHF it's not the struggle it used to be with hunger. It's more like someone else said, just a record of things so I know where I am at. I haven't stayed as low in the calorie department as I would like, but I monitor my macro's and just try to stay as close as everything as possible. It's getting easier but there is definitely a learning curve (for me anyway).

I lost 5.5 in atkins induction and then stalled which I guess is fairly normal. After I reworked my calories and macros I lost about four more pounds. So that means I had a successful 1 month of induction / keto. I am keeping on this path!!!
  • PatchEFog
    PatchEFog Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I do, thanks to PatchEFog's help figuring out where I should be. I stalled and I knew I'd be stuck counting calories again (not just carbs). But, thanks to following LCHF it's not the struggle it used to be with hunger. It's more like someone else said, just a record of things so I know where I am at. I haven't stayed as low in the calorie department as I would like, but I monitor my macro's and just try to stay as close as everything as possible. It's getting easier but there is definitely a learning curve (for me anyway).

I lost 5.5 in atkins induction and then stalled which I guess is fairly normal. After I reworked my calories and macros I lost about four more pounds. So that means I had a successful 1 month of induction / keto. I am keeping on this path!!!
    2n69eg8.jpgeinxn5.jpg
    29lz028.jpg
  • JennyToy
    JennyToy Posts: 149 Member
    Options
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies ladies and gentlemen!
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have come to realize that at my age now, and my lack of fitness, I have to count calories and watch macros. I can over eat on any plan and am not as active as I need to be. When I was younger (20's) I didn't have to count anything but net carbs and drop weight easily.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I track in MFP everthing I eat so I don't go over 20g Carbs, 85g protein, 142g fat. I don't worry about the calories though, they take care of themselves if the macros are right.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Used to count. I didn't find it hugely beneficial for me. That is, I didn't change my behavior based on the amount of calories--even when way over. Since I stopped counting, I have continued to lose weight at roughly the same pace as before (around 0.25 kg/week or 0.5 lbs/week). The rate is slow, but only because I have less to lose than when I started and I am getting close to my goal weight. I am also actively working on improving strength, so I don't want to push the loss to quickly.
  • sljohnson1207
    sljohnson1207 Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I have to count calories as well, just as much for coming in under my goal as in coming close to it. I mostly look at a 7 day average of calories and carbs rather than daily fluctuations. Some days I'm more hungry than others. Some days I really struggle to even get in 1200 cals.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    No from the beginning of the year I have just eaten by instinct and it seems to have worked well. I have hit several plateaus along the way but that has been more down to weak will than the actual eating strategy.
  • nancytyc
    nancytyc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I have friends engaged in all kinds of lifestyles....from Low Carb High Fat to Low Fat High Carb......it is all really a preference of the types of foods you prefer to eat and whether there are any health considerations (for example, I am T2 Diabetic).

I think, though, when it really comes right down to the brass tax.....no matter the kind of food lifestyle you have chosen, it all equates to factoring the amount of calories in against the amount of calories out (if you are trying to lose weight).

I would think that no matter your eating style, you have to count the calories. I count them religiously. I weigh and measure every morsel of food that goes in my mouth. (Well, except if I have a bite of my hubby's ice cream and the bite is less than a TBSP)
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I would think that no matter your eating style, you have to count the calories.

You would think this. It seems like common sense. But, there are several people in this thread (myself included) who are able to have success without counting calories. I'm not saying everyone could have success without counting, but not everyone has to count to be successful.
  • shai74
    shai74 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I think, though, when it really comes right down to the brass tax.....

Lol brass tax. I think you mean brass tacks.
  • cindytw
    cindytw Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I agree! Not everyone has to and not everyone has to in different stages of health and life. Things change as we change as people and our health changes. I am healthier now, but I am also fatter, after having made major changes in my life. I used to live on coffee and cigarettes quite happily, ate poorly, went out every night. Never exercised. And I was about at my goal weight now (150#). Was that healthy, no.