low carb and calorie counting

Options

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how anyone can track their carbs, but not their calories? I would be lost without my 'food' tracker keeping me accountable and providing me with a location to log my food...to manage both carb and calorie intake.

I'll preface this by saying that you should do what works for you. For the longest time, I tracked everything.

But, it's fairly easy to track carbs and nothing else. You just put in vegetables and other carb-containing foods and don't log your meats, fats, oils, etc. If you consume very low amounts of carb-containing foods (low enough that you're never reasonably going to go over your limit), you don't even have to bother tracking them at all. I just keep a mental tally of when I eat a carb-containing food and only think about the specific count if I have a few in one day (rare).

For some people, accountability is a good thing. And, I think a lot of people benefit from tracking at the start because few people realize how many carbs are in everything around us. A random carb here and there can add up quickly.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I don't understand how anyone can track their carbs, but not their calories? I would be lost without my 'food' tracker keeping me accountable and providing me with a location to log my food...to manage both carb and calorie intake.

I'll preface this by saying that you should do what works for you. For the longest time, I tracked everything.

But, it's fairly easy to track carbs and nothing else. You just put in vegetables and other carb-containing foods and don't log your meats, fats, oils, etc. If you consume very low amounts of carb-containing foods (low enough that you're never reasonably going to go over your limit), you don't even have to bother tracking them at all. I just keep a mental tally of when I eat a carb-containing food and only think about the specific count if I have a few in one day (rare).

For some people, accountability is a good thing. And, I think a lot of people benefit from tracking at the start because few people realize how many carbs are in everything around us. A random carb here and there can add up quickly.
    Or you track on a different app. The South Beach app allows you to track without seeing calories at all.
  • angelo74
    angelo74 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, also following Tim Ferris LCD, starting out here. I find myself consistently having to fuel myself since I'm working out 5x a week plus 2 days of strength with a trainer. Been working out a month like this and just lost inches. Been on the LCD for a cpl of days and feel fantastic. Does anyone have any advice for a newbie like me and can I still drink unsweetened almond milk? Any help would be great!
  • minties82
    minties82 Posts: 907 Member
    Options
    I definitely count. I have binge eating disorder and I KNOW I would eat way too much food if I was not being strict.
  • gerrielips
    gerrielips Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    After 60+ days on learning & eating Low(er) Carb, I woke up to the Washington Post Health Section this morning "http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/popular-diets-may-carry-risks-that-are-unexpected-and-not-worth-taking/2015/04/13/9ec6bafe-beb9-11e4-b274-e5209a3bc9a9_story.html" They printed an excerpt from Consumer Reports about the pitfalls of Low Carb as well as Low Fat dieting.
    My weight has stabilized and I'm no longer losing like I did initially, but I'm not worried because my low(er) carb way of nourishing myself is in line with my insulin resistance and I'm doing as my doctors have suggested. My carbs are vegetables with maybe 2 fruits (max) a day...no pasty breads, cookies, cakes, etc that do a quick jolt to my blood sugar level and send me crashing down into fatigue, fogginess and more hunger. But to answer your question, YES, I DO COUNT CALORIES - but I don't obsess about them. I try to exercise a minimum of 3 times a week which gives me more than the 1200 calories daily that I would normally have as I have a sedentary job. I'm trying to increase my protein without making it so high that I will damage my kidneys and leach out calcium from my bones, but now my carbs:protein ratio is about equal. Feel free to friend me and look at my food diary. The main benefits of this approach (to me) is that I get incredible support from fellow LCHF members and the licensed nutritionist/dietician also agreed that this approach is good for me (at least for now.) For the first time ever, I feel in control of what I'm eating. So far, 21 pounds down...and if it takes me another 2months to lose 10 more, so be it. The calories aren't everything...the quality and correct balance of my food is.
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    I am still a newby to LCHF... So I still count calories... Matter of fact I weigh and log every single thing. I am tempted to stop logging at some point in the future but to me that seems like a slippery slope back to weight gain. I would also like to say that I have had a loss every week for 13 weeks in a row. So for now, I will keep on doing what is working for me.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,567 Member
    Options
    Me. I actually transitioned from straight calorie counting to lowish carbs (50-60ish per day) to keto, all while continuing to count my calories.

I am used to it and it works for me so far.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I count my calories and my carbs. I like it, and its a good way to make sure I'm eating enough. Left to my own devices without counting calories I'd eat about 400 calories a day, which isn't exactly healthy as a daily occurrence.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    gerrielips wrote: »
    After 60+ days on learning & eating Low(er) Carb, I woke up to the Washington Post Health Section this morning "http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/popular-diets-may-carry-risks-that-are-unexpected-and-not-worth-taking/2015/04/13/9ec6bafe-beb9-11e4-b274-e5209a3bc9a9_story.html" They printed an excerpt from Consumer Reports about the pitfalls of Low Carb as well as Low Fat dieting.
    My weight has stabilized and I'm no longer losing like I did initially, but I'm not worried because my low(er) carb way of nourishing myself is in line with my insulin resistance and I'm doing as my doctors have suggested. My carbs are vegetables with maybe 2 fruits (max) a day...no pasty breads, cookies, cakes, etc that do a quick jolt to my blood sugar level and send me crashing down into fatigue, fogginess and more hunger. But to answer your question, YES, I DO COUNT CALORIES - but I don't obsess about them. I try to exercise a minimum of 3 times a week which gives me more than the 1200 calories daily that I would normally have as I have a sedentary job. I'm trying to increase my protein without making it so high that I will damage my kidneys and leach out calcium from my bones, but now my carbs:protein ratio is about equal. Feel free to friend me and look at my food diary. The main benefits of this approach (to me) is that I get incredible support from fellow LCHF members and the licensed nutritionist/dietician also agreed that this approach is good for me (at least for now.) For the first time ever, I feel in control of what I'm eating. So far, 21 pounds down...and if it takes me another 2months to lose 10 more, so be it. The calories aren't everything...the quality and correct balance of my food is.

That article is a load of crap and uses the canard that low carb is high protein. It's not.

Their explanation for what happens at lower levels of carbs is flat out wrong, too. While there is some gluconeogenesis going on, the body taps into fat stores via ketogenesis. LCHF is actually more protein sparing than calorie restriction on its own.

Also, as long as you're not eating protein to the near total exclusion of fat or carbs, you don't really have anything to worry about unless you have an existing kidney issue.
  • IamUndrCnstruction
    IamUndrCnstruction Posts: 691 Member
    Options
    I count both carbs and calories. I focus heavily on both. This has become a slight problem in my case, as I have increased my workouts significantly yet am afraid to adjust any of my macros or calories. I have yet to find what works for me yet. My weight loss has stalled, I lost two pounds after the initial water loss of 10. Those two pounds are probably back. Granted I have other issues which may play into this, though I am not diabetic, insulin resistant or I believe very sensitive to glucose.

I experimented these past three days with eating back my exercise calories, which I had not been doing. It seems to have helped with the fatigue and, weirdly enough, sadness, I was experiencing. I am still trying to talk myself into trying at least the TDEE -25% approach, as it would mean I would eat about 500-600 more calories a day than I am eating per MFP's suggestion. Then just not logging my workouts other than in notes.

So the tl;dr version: Yes, I count both and am starting to scare myself with it.
  • KristenMarie1181
    KristenMarie1181 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Hi I am new to this group. i was wondering for my weight. 337 pounds and wanting to lose upto 200 pounds! Yes 200 pounds for my height I need to be around 115-130 (5ft2 1/2)

I really need help with my calorie counter. Help with how many sugars I should be eating, how many carbs, etc etc. I think I am going over but not sure.
  • KETOGENICGURL
    KETOGENICGURL Posts: 687 Member
    Options
    QUOTE: …"if it was basic calorie in calorie out, every one with a deficit would have lost weight easily.-Leon;
    Dean'sdad: Why is something so simple so difficult for so many to comprehend?/quote

Yes when CICO Fascists(as I call them) say Calories IN --they only think of SURPLUS calories-- and have no answer for a deficit-- mine was 1,100 calories a DAY!!… did not lose me a pound every 3.2 days..in fact in 16 MONTHS I lost only 8 lbs..up and down too. because it was the WRONG foods, plus sleep apnea, plus meds, plus metabolic issues, plus... plus….

So I ask them..if it is ONLY CICO..then I should weigh 12 pounds after 24 months of -1100 a day..right? no? as if we can follow like a machine. I call this the "Bunsen Burner" theoy of CICO…since they INSIST then it should work for everything, then a 73 year old 168 lb grandma with 2 knee replacements should eat & lose the same, as the 24 year old 168 lb. body builder.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    Go to the launch pad-super great resources. Also
    ankle keto calculator
    helps a ton
  • sweetteadrinker2
    Options
    *ankerl
  • JulieEllul
    JulieEllul Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Many of you know me. I'm not low carb (but I do focus on eating SLOW carb). But, I respect low carb eaters.

I do have a question, however, for my own edification.

How many of you are low carb AND do calorie counting?

thanks for indulging me. Cheers.

I'm a new Keto dieter (medically supervised) and have to count everything. Honestly I think it's valuable to know and so easy to track on here. I do it during meals to help me slow down and enjoy meals. I get such small portions I gotta make it count! I do run into a calorie gap which I will be checking with my nutritionist to figure out details. I'm in week 2 12lbs down.
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Hi Beautifuleyes, here's the link to the Launch pad with lots of info for starting LCHF: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad

And plug in your own stats on this calculator to figure out your macros for protein, fat and carbs:
    http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/
    Good luck!
  • Lrdoflamancha
    Lrdoflamancha Posts: 1,280 Member
    edited April 2015
    Options
    My how things change in a day...we have to move to Az for up to 8 weeks, 1 hour to pack and go. So I will be going zero carb... No weighing or tracking anything.... This better work...LOL

Posted this yesterday ....
    I am still a newby to LCHF... So I still count calories... Matter of fact I weigh and log every single thing. I am tempted to stop logging at some point in the future but to me that seems like a slippery slope back to weight gain. I would also like to say that I have had a loss every week for 13 weeks in a row. So for now, I will keep on doing what is working for me.

• Sugarbeat
    Sugarbeat Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Me. I tried to only count carbs for the April challenge but I find myself counting calories out of habit.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I log and track both carbs and calories, though I am still a Newbie. I agree that we should all do whatever it is that works for us!
  • glossbones
    glossbones Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I log everything, so the calories are there to see, but more often I will change what I eat in response to my ankler settings (not enough protein, usually) than to hit a calorie goal.