for the competitors to be, ones who are and trainers

Options
13»

Replies

• bry_all01
    bry_all01 Posts: 3,100 Member
    Options
    Just discovered this group. I too am planning on training for either bikini or figure. I'll make a final decision once I get further into training and see how my body responds. I naturally carry a lot of muscle, but I'm not sure I can get lean enough for figure. Tentatively plan to compete in October, but again, depending on training and how my body responds, I may try something earlier.

I was training back in 2003, but then a major injury requiring bone graft surgery (not training related) sidelined me for months. Then with baby, work, life, I kept healthy and active, but wasn't training for competition. I decided now was the time to give it a try again, even at age 34. :)

I have a question for those that have competed in the past or are familiar with the competitions. I have a pretty serious surgical scar on my abdomen, that runs hip bone to hip bone. Is that something that could be potentially counted against me score-wise? It's high enough that it's not going to covered by a competition suit, and it's really the only thing that's making me lack a little confidence.

don't forget, you will (most likely) be spraytanned, so that will help cover the scar. Otherwise, rock it out. Good luck!

True, I forgot about the magic of spray tans and how much they actually hide. Thanks!

I've been talking to some of my bodybuilder friends and they gave me some recommendations for local competitions to start out with. I'm going to try and go and watch a few first though before I compete.

good call. That will give you the opportunity to see what to expect. The one I watched before made me want to do it, after seeing the age groups, height, etc. It looked fun. And, honestly, it was WAY more fun actually participating. Everyone was really nice and helpful.
  • JJMS
    JJMS Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone and Happy new year! My goal is to compete in figure, however, I think I would like to try bikini along the way. I know what I want obviously but I have a long way to go and I need help getting there! So here I am looking for help and advice from those of you with experience and glad I found this group! Good luck to everyone with your 2012 goals! :)
  • Mocha02
    Mocha02 Posts: 96
    Options
    Hello everyone and Happy new year! My goal is to compete in figure, however, I think I would like to try bikini along the way. I know what I want obviously but I have a long way to go and I need help getting there! So here I am looking for help and advice from those of you with experience and glad I found this group! Good luck to everyone with your 2012 goals! :)

Good luck to you too!!
  • Ariana_75
    Ariana_75 Posts: 224
    Options
    I'm competing in figure for the first time this year....if anyone has any advise or would like to share their stories, I would love to hear them!
  • kimclaws
    kimclaws Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Doing my first comp in April, I will be going to a prep camp in a few weeks to get more info and find a swim suit vendor that I like. I want to do bikini or figure first, then I may tai a shot at fitness if i can come up with a good enough routine lol.
    very helpful group!! thank you for starting it
  • acureese
    acureese Posts: 169
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm really happy to have found this group! :smile:

I'm going into my second season of competing and I'm really pumped up about it! (hehe literally and figuratively! ;)) After running half marathons and doing a couple half ironman competitions a few years ago, I decided to change my focus to what I love the most: weight lifting! I competed in figure competitions last May and August with the INBF and placed second in both. (I prefer the natural bodybuilding/figure federations). I'm currently in my off-season trying to put some more mass on, especially in my delts. My plan is to compete in the summer, hopefully June...looking forward to discussions here!
  • jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    Thanks for starting the group.

I have much experience with training stacks for competitors and can help as a trainer as well.

Thanks for the invite. Anyway I can help and also learn here will be great!

My next show is in 2013, conditioning right now and then pre-comp training starts next year.

Best,

Coach Nyla
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer
    NPC Figure Competitor
    www.sarasotafitnesstrainer.org
    From 170 lbs. to Fit - If I Can Do It, So Can You!

P.S. Also getting my NASM Cert. beginning of next year!!! Are there any other NASM Trainers on here?

I am a NASM Certified Personal Trainer, but only for one year. Been lifting for 3 years and I am interested in competing. I just don't know how to decide if my body is better for bikini or figure. My trainer says figure.

BTW, I am so happy to have found this group!!!
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
  • busywaterbending
    busywaterbending Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    oh, and be sure to click on the competitors' names on the right of the web page to see their transformation pics and a quick blog about their figure journey!
  • GouletB
    GouletB Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone! So happy to have found this group! I just ordered my heels today and looking for a suit. I plan on competing in an npc show in may. Im sooo scared! I just learned about figure and bikini in the past couple months. Im competing in bikini. Ahh we'll see how it goes. Any advice!?!? :)