Introduce Yourself

Options
Hey guys!

I am a microbiologist and just finished graduate school.

P.S. Love the group description!

Replies

• I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Im a chemical engineer by education and environmental engineer by trade
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    skinnybearlyndsay Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I got my degree in ocean engineering and am working as an environmental engineer (cleaning up nasty stuff). I love science and anything that makes me think.

Great group!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Hi! Got my PhD in pharmacology from Johns Hopkins in 2008. Currently managing intellectual property for a National Cancer Institute contractor.
  • I_give_it_2_u_str8
    I_give_it_2_u_str8 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Hmm im so used to using the umbrella term 'environmental' around the lay person - should probably specify since there is more common understanding in this group.
    I'm in water resources, specifically storm water and drainage management
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    Ya, its weird when you can actually tell people what you do! Nobody ever understands my field (Microbiology). They always respond with "Oh! You work with bugs!" *Cringe*
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    Options
    Yeah, when I have to tell someone what I do, it can turn in to a long answer because there are so many sections of environmental engineering.

:)
  • a_stronger_steph
    a_stronger_steph Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I'm in the 2nd year of my PhD in Astronomy & Astrophysics!
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Ya, its weird when you can actually tell people what you do! Nobody ever understands my field (Microbiology). They always respond with "Oh! You work with bugs!" *Cringe*

Haha, I have many of those moments from grad school. "What are you studying?" "Pharmacology." "Oh, so you're going to be a pharmacist?" *cringe*

Sometimes I wish I HAD gone to pharmacy school...I'd be making a heck of a lot more money!
  • myurk
    myurk Posts: 108
    Options
    Just finished grad school to find out I will be making the same amount of money as I was getting as a student. *Tear* Sometimes I wish that I chose engineering and could be making a good chunk of money already.
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    Options
    Just finished grad school to find out I will be making the same amount of money as I was getting as a student. *Tear* Sometimes I wish that I chose engineering and could be making a good chunk of money already.

Student loans are evil. They negate the $$$. :)
  • iHEARTcardiacnurses
    Options
    Hey everyone! I'm Catherine, 23 year old Chem and Nursing bachelors graduate. :)
  • magratnj
    magratnj Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Margaret. I'm a vertebrate paleontologist. I work on the evolution of carnivores over the last 20 million years primarily in Africa. I've also done some work on primate and human evolution.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Hi fellow lab-rats, I'm Berry. I'm a science and technology journalist, so a bit of a jack of all trades and master of none!
  • skinnybearlyndsay
    Options
    Hi! I'm Margaret. I'm a vertebrate paleontologist. I work on the evolution of carnivores over the last 20 million years primarily in Africa. I've also done some work on primate and human evolution.

Whoa. That is AWESOME!!!!
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! Lovely to see so many members already :D

I'm a biochemist undergraduate who just got back from noddy undergraduate lab practicals and has meaningful results. Yay!

So what do you look at in the field? :) I guess I was working with "bugs" today. ;) Standard stuff: messing around with the lac repressor in E. coli.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    Options
    I'm Mackenzie, double majoring in bio-engineering and physics, minoring in Spanish and university of california irvine. Finishing my last year in undergrad, contemplating grad school :)
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    I'm Atticus, and I'm a lover not a practitioner.

I've been a fan of science fiction all of my life, and although things like Star Wars are entertaining, it's the serious stuff that really gets me going.

I have an interest in technology in general, and a particular liking for all things astrophysical and the quantum world. It confuses the hell out of me but it's like being hit in the mind with the logic equivalent of a pure Vodka
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    This is so cool :)

I'm another pharmacologist. I specialize in neuron cell death and am currently at the University of Southern California working on an Alzheimer's project.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'm another pharmacologist. I specialize in neuron cell death and am currently at the University of Southern California working on an Alzheimer's project.
    My mum died with early onset Alzheimer's. May you be blessed with a never-ending research grant :flowerforyou:
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    My mum died with early onset Alzheimer's. May you be blessed with a never-ending research grant :flowerforyou:

I'm really sorry to hear that. It's so hard to watch the slow decline of someone you love! Thank you for your well-wishes. I could certainly use a good supply of grant money. Funding is so tight right now.