Introduce Yourself

Options

Replies

• Ange_
    Ange_ Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I'm a PhD student in Archaeology with a BSc in Geology.
  • atomiclauren
    atomiclauren Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Hi all, I'm a lover and not a practitioner as well, though if I could go back in time (or maybe in the future) I would definitely pursue archaeology.

I *almost* went to graduate school for clinical psych but I have a hard time making decisions :ohwell: After swerving around business/marketing/art history/nonprofit management/architecture/sculpture/jewelry making, I finally decided to go the library route and I'm an archivist and in my spare time document architecture. Who knew! :blushing:

I love reading all of your posts! Very interesting!

ps - if anyone could tell me post-baccalaureate options for archaeological study I'd me most appreciative!
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    I'm a social scientists. Does that count?

Seriously, though, I'm happy this group is here. I tend to get a lot of blank stares (and internet blank stares, which are "????") in my life when I get excited about anything related to science.
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Brett and I'm not a scientist at all, even a little. I'm just a big, big fan.

I'm a rationalist and I like to use logic as much as I possibly can. I watch NOVA documentaries all the time and I've learned so much about the universe from science. I've got mad respect for Carl Sagan, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and really all scientists. They (and you all) REALLY make our world a better place.

So I just wanted to join up and thank you all for the important work you do.
  • OSUalum
    OSUalum Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! I'm Beth.
    BS in Biology and Chemistry, MA in Behavioral Psychotherapy and Doctor of Oriental Medicine.
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm Brett and I'm not a scientist at all, even a little. I'm just a big, big fan.

I'm a rationalist and I like to use logic as much as I possibly can. I watch NOVA documentaries all the time and I've learned so much about the universe from science. I've got mad respect for Carl Sagan, Neil Degrasse Tyson, Richard Dawkins, Sam Harris and really all scientists. They (and you all) REALLY make our world a better place.

*high five*
  • Schwarzeaugen
    Schwarzeaugen Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I'm in a Clinical Psychology/biopsychology PhD. program.
  • velarneyraptor
    velarneyraptor Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm in my first year of a B. Medical Science. I was originally from a graphic design background, but I am now working toward medical school entry. I am still keeping one eye on medical research as a possible backup plan, but I really have my heart set on medicine.
    Hey guys!

I am a microbiologist and just finished graduate school.

P.S. Love the group description!

I am doing microbiology next semester - I may have a few questions for you in the coming months :P
  • galaxyhearts
    galaxyhearts Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    Hello!

I'm Michelle. I'm actually an artist/graphic designer... but Science is too important. I really appreciate science and the people who work in those fields.

I'm especially interested in the cosmos, outer space, and the ocean. The primarily unexplored territories of our Universe. =]
    I'm a huge fan of Carl Sagan.

Hoping to hear about some really interesting science topics from you awesome people. =]
  • dubist
    dubist Posts: 279 Member
    Options

+1
  • calibri
    calibri Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I'm Stephanie; I'm in a bit of a lull between my bachelor's and enrolling in a graduate program for molecular biology.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I have an M.S in Marine Biology and I work as a Biology Lab Technician at the university where I went to school (long story there). I take care of plants, animals, and help grad students figure out how to handle at that stuff in the classroom, and about 50 other things. Guess you could say I am a Jane of All Trades :).
  • AdrienneinTO
    AdrienneinTO Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Hi! :)

I have a PhD in Cell and Molecular Biology, BSc in Microbiology. My research has primarily focused on cancer biology and hematopoiesis (blood cell development). I have a strong interest in personalized medicine, and have been developing a new diagnostic technology that enables highly multiplexed cell analysis.
  • magratnj
    magratnj Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    ps - if anyone could tell me post-baccalaureate options for archaeological study I'd me most appreciative!

What kind are you interested in? Even though I'm a paleontologist now, my PhD is in anthropology. Send me a message with your interests and I can try to help.
  • nhjhawk
    nhjhawk Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am a high school anatomy and physiology teacher, so I am in charge of the scientists of tomorrow :)! Loved reading what everyone else does, this is a pretty interesting bunch!!
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I'm in my first year of a B. Medical Science. I was originally from a graphic design background, but I am now working toward medical school entry. I am still keeping one eye on medical research as a possible backup plan, but I really have my heart set on medicine.

Whew!! Another medical person!!

Hi Everybody! I'm Kathleen. I'm a pediatric cardiac surgeon. I put into practice lots of the stuff that you guys study and figure out. Thanks!! I work for an NGO and live in Nicaragua...
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Not sure how what I typed ended up in the quote box. Oh well.
    As you can see I'm not a computer scientist.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. Not sure how what I typed ended up in the quote box. Oh well.
    As you can see I'm not a computer scientist.

:) We love ya anyway.
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    Hello all :) I'm an "ex-scientist". Degree in human genetics, masters in cancer and bacterial genetics, then did 3 years in the lab on cancer research, followed by 3 years in industry designing genetic identity assays, followed by 3 years back in academia investigating the genetics of autism and autism spectrum disorders.

But I decided that I much prefer the admin/organisational side, and less the hands on science (or rather the grants/publications gravy train) and I have no desire to become a junior group leader onwards, or to go back to industry, so I made a leap out.

Did a maternity cover coordinating a biology undergraduate degree, and now I'm (temporarily?) working as a trainee research grants officer.

I was hoping to move into clinical trials/research administration/coordination, but the posts seem to be scarce at the right level for me to go in at, so who knows, I may end up becoming a fully fledged research grants officer instead.

Whatever I do though, I really need it to have some sort of interaction with the sciences, and supporting them, because I'd hate to leave my roots behind.
  • upnorthtim
    upnorthtim Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone, university professor and wildife ecologist here. Glad to be a part of the group!