Introduce yourself...

Options

Replies

• cwoelfel761
    Options
    Hello everyone! My name is Cathie and I am a 36 yr old, single Mom of two teenage boys in Olathe. Growing up I never had a weight problem and was always pretty comfortable in my own skin. I lost the weight fairly easy after both my kids and while I was on the upper end of the healthy weight, I was still in the healthy section. I started putting the weight on after I had a hysterectomy when I was 25 due to a cancer scare. I racked up about 50 lbs over a three year period. This last year and half, give or take, I noticed that no matter how little I ate that the pounds just kept coming, and coming and coming, almost 100lbs worth!. I was finally diagnosed with Hypothyroidism a few months ago and am now doing my best to take the weight back off. I am hoping to find support on here that I haven't had any luck finding at the Dr's office. Apparently eating 1000 calories a day isn't enough for them to be happy, I keep being told that I'm eating to much, when according to everything I learned going to Nursing school and everything I read on-line tells me that I need to eat more than that. Sooooo any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
  • sarabeth40
    sarabeth40 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hey guys! My name is Sara and I live in Lees Summit. Always looking for people who might want to run with me! Looking forward to participate in this group!
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara -- would love to get into some charity runs/walks if you know of any around town. I will do some searching too. Maybe we can put something together.
  • Lisammy
    Lisammy Posts: 35
    Options
    Hi everyone...I'm Lisa. We live in the Liberty Northland area. I'm a SAHM and I've been married for nearly 16 years and have one Daughter who is 7 yrs. old. I really LOVE this MFP site! It has really been helpful to both me and my husband. I never realized how many calories we were eating daily. Logging in what I eat has been eye opening. Anyways, I have 10 lbs to lose to be at my goal weight. Those ever so hard to lose last 10 lbs! I try and work out at least 5 times a week w/ cardio. And recently I've started doing the Jillian Michaels Shred dvd. OUCH, she is tough! I don't know how I'll continue it, but I think I'll push through the sore muscles and see if that helps me get over this plateau! My husband is also on MFP. We both log in every day. He's lost over 35 lbs. so far and he has another 40 he'd like to lose. He's doing great!! I'm so proud of him.
  • pkfrankel
    pkfrankel Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Hi. My name is Pete. I feel somewhat guilty being here since my 8 pound weight loss going is nothing more than vanity. However, I am trying to eat more natural foods and MFP helps keep me honest. I have been a runner for 35 years and a triathlete for 12. My philosophy over the years has always been, "eat a donut, run a mile." That was always enough to keep me in the game. Now I want to win.

I would love to meet people that want to run or bike as a way to help them reach their goals.
  • sarabeth40
    sarabeth40 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Hi Sara -- would love to get into some charity runs/walks if you know of any around town. I will do some searching too. Maybe we can put something together.

Awesome! I'm actually running the hospital hill half marathon to raise money for alzheimers research. My mom was diagnosed with early onset alzheimers 2 years ago at the age of 59 so it's a cause that is near and dear to my heart. (http://alzstars-hhr.kintera.org/faf/login/partMenu.asp?ievent=1005245&lis=1&kntae1005245=7E61C28E1F49416CA9F6751E449337BE)
    However there are tons of walks/runs around KC that support all kinds of causes. I'll keep my eyes open as well! Where do you live? (I should've checked your profile before starting this reponse but I didn't and now I don't want to have to go back) We should totally meet up for a run!
  • djmyersmo
    djmyersmo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    :smile: Hi everyone! I've just signed up on my fitness pal about a week ago and am looking for some local support. Feel free to add me , if you like, if you are looking for the same.

I have a wonderful husband and three wonderful children- all of which are of a healthy weight. For my first pregnancy I had gained 100 lbs, for my second, I had lost about 10, and the third I had gained about 50. Now, that my youngest is 3, I know I need to get this off for good!

I have just bought new running shoes and a jogging stroller, and am ready to hit all of the wonderful trails that this area has to offer. I used to run 4 miles a day before I had children and really want to start running again. I had contacted a few personal trainers in the area to help me, but not one of them ever responded, so I have realized that I can wait around for someone else to help me, or I can do it myself. I have lost 8 lbs in just the past two weeks, so I'm ready to lose the next 140.
  • malayabee
    malayabee Posts: 30
    Options
    Hello! I'm Malaya, 25, from Kansas City, MO. (In the Northland, near-ish to Zona Rosa.)

I'm looking to drop about 50 lbs., and generally improve my health so that I can have a happy healthy pregnancy! We are thinking of starting a family in the next 2-3 years. My husband and I got married in Oct. 2011, and I had dropped about 25 lbs. on Weight Watchers before the wedding. The program just stopped working for me, and I gave up... So I'm giving MFP a try to lose the rest of the weight. My husband is also working to shed a few pounds, but he and I approach weight loss very differently! I also recently found out I am anemic, so I'm working to incorporate more iron-rich foods into my diet.

Feel free to add me, if you'd like to be friends. :)
  • kkmulholland
    Options
    Hello All,
    I'm Kandace and have been battling the weight thing all my conscious life since my father told me I was too fat when I was 3 years old. Right about pre-school age was my first diet. Was involved in sports (soccer, volleyball) most of my youth and then was injured playing college v-ball my Freshman year. Had to give it up and then managed to gain all the way up to about 300 lbs. Had gastric bypass in 2000 and lost 100+ pounds and felt GREAT! Started traveling for work in 2002 and the weight crept back on until my recent high of 250 which spooked me into Dr. Tague's Center for Nutrition in Leawood. Started a ketogenic diet about a month ago and have lost about 11-ish pounds. Feel better on low carb than I have in many, many years. I consider it a miracle and plan to eat this way for the rest of my life!

I have committed to my first 5K on August 12th for Susan G Komen. I am getting started on the C25K program. Looking for other "penguins" if anyone wants to join me - email me on MFP. I'm in OP so that is likely where I'll try to train most days, when I am not traveling that is. :-D

Love MFP and that there is a group of us in KC. Would LOVE LOVE LOVE to do a meet-up some time.
  • taylorbricker
    taylorbricker Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hello!
    My name is Taylor and I'm 21 years old. My boyfriend and I started MFP back in January because we had gained a lot of weight since meeting each other 4 years ago. We now are less than what we were when we met but still need to lose the last 15-20 lbs. I've lost about 25 lbs and my boyfriend has lost about 40 so far. We have been slacking on the diet for about the past month because I was finishing up RN school. I am really looking forward to the support from everyone on here now that I have the time to focus on myself! Feel free to add me as a friend on MFP.
  • doggiesnot
    doggiesnot Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm Doug, a 42-year-old software engineer living in Olathe. I'm married with two kids (21 & 16). My wife and I are on this weight loss journey together. She has more to lose than me, but we both have the same goals for ideal weight and are a source of encouragement for each other. We watch what we eat and are trying various exercise routines to try and find one that fits for us.

I have 30-35 pounds to shed, and have done it before (two years ago), but then stopped exercising and gained it all back. I believe that "mind over matter" is more than just a figure of speech. Anyone can lose weight with determination and desire. You don't have to accept your current appearance or situation as the way it will always be. The only constant is change. I like math, and like that I can use math (calorie deficit) to lose weight. 8-)

I'm glad I found this group! I will accept all friend requests. I'm optimistic for the future, and look forward to meeting new people.
  • brittigno
    brittigno Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm Britney. Born in Manhattan, raised in Chicago, back in OP, KS to gain residency for school (K-State!) Um, yeah... I just want to get in shape and healthy. Not much else to tell, haha.
  • Deedsie
    Deedsie Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I'm Deedra. I live in Lee's Summit but work at the Sprint Campus. I'm about 25 lbs from my goal but I lost a lot using LoseIt! before joining MFP. My HW was 208 lbs following the birth of my daughter (over 4 years ago) and my CW is 139 lbs (69 lbs lost since January 2010 when I started trying to lose.) The last 25 lbs are the hardest to lose so far plus, I'm trying to create a lifestyle and fit appearance so I really recommitted about a month ago. I have a husband (of 6 years) and my daughter. I enjoy running, swimming and biking. I also like weight training classes. I'm currently on day 23 of the 30 day shred video. Very proud of myself.

Feel free to add me. I try to comment on everyone's posts at least a couple times a week and my diary is open.
  • kennacoconut
    kennacoconut Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Kendra. 20 years old, just got my A.A. from KCKCC. Working on my Spanish K-12 Education degree at UMKC.

I'm a piercer dating a tattoo artist.. Go figure =P Anyway, I was always smallish in high school but the Freshman Fifteen hit me HARD. I'm learning to cook, riding my bike, and facing the track... I used to be able to run 2 miles without stopping, 8 minute mile. Now it takes me to 5 1/2 minutes to run 2 laps... and then I need a break.

I want to be able to fit into my high school clothes again, look cute showing off my tattoos and piercings, and be ready for the year long backpacking trip (on bicycle) that my boyfriend and I are taking after I finish my undergraduate study.

I live near the KCK Legends area if anyone ever wants to go on a jog!!
  • Nteeter
    Nteeter Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Hi all you awesome guys and gals! My names's Nate I'm 37 and from liberty. Former Marine that got lazy for about 10yrs. One day last october I'd had enough and found this site. It's changed my life. Started at 357 and I'm down to 233. If your honest with tracking and throw in some exercise you WILL lose weight. Never give up never say die, JUST DO IT! Nike wasn't wrong.

I start insanity Monday, I may actually die from it(not really) its going to be tough but I've been a Marine so I can do anything I've put my mind to.

Add me if you want and I will try to be the best little cheerleader I can minus the annoying perky attitude :) I love seeing the progress of just about anyone on here. It inspires me daily. I don't have any secrets it's all stuff we already know. Just have to do it and stick to it. I'm to the point I don't log everyday cause I basically eat the same stuff and know exactly whats going in, but I'm here pretty much everyday.
  • ksirishscrapper
    Options
    Hi, everyone. I just joined MFP today, under the advisement of my trainer at Lifetime Fitness in Lenexa. I'm pretty sure it's mostly so he can keep track of what I eat so he can give me a hard time about eating bad stuff. :-)

I am 43-year-old middle school French teacher, wife of 16 years to a wonderful man, and mom to two fabulous kids--a 13-year-old son and a 9-year-old daughter.

I just began this particular attempt to lose weight last week. I rejoined Lifetime, where I had lost 23 pounds two years ago with their TEAM Weight Loss program. I felt great then but I got tired of cutting calories and exercising. I didn't really understand the science behind weight loss and how to replace junk food with healthy alternatives. I lost my way. And trust me, I've done that many times in the past with other gyms and other weight loss programs.

So what makes this time different? I have an awesome trainer who tells it like it is and doesn't put up with my b.s. when I tell him a certain exercise is too hard. He is also quite personable and funny. I can't afford to have him all the time, but I will work out an exercise and diet regime that I can stick to long term.

I also know I'm not getting any younger and my cholesterol is just too darned high. I don't want to start down the path of bad and expensive health problems, like many of my older relatives have done (like my dad).

Most importantly, I want to set a good example for my children to follow. They need to see their mom feeling good about herself, eating healthfully, and exercising regularly.

Let's rock this thing!

25917173.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • HuskyMan3
    HuskyMan3 Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow kansas citiens. Would love to make new friends locally. Friend me if you like and hope to hear from ya'll soon
  • susannahcooks
    susannahcooks Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    hi all - anybody believe SI saying we're gonna win a playoff game? what was it about the SI jinx? Does that only apply to baseball?

uhm yah, Texas girl who has lived in KC almost 13 years; been on MFP about 6 months. Play sand volleyball (Martin City) 2x a week during season, and trying to like running (let me know if you figure that one out - 'running' my first 5k on 9/9 (Broadway Bridge Run)). Been lifting for several months and love it - but don't do it often enough (maybe when Volleyball season is over?). Fear me :) Have made some great progress here - and have a long ways to go still, but I'll be the success story you're reading about next summer. Would love to make some local friends - so friend me if you like :)
  • weemawhit
    weemawhit Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! :) I live in KC. I'm working on getting rid of those last 10-12 lbs. I've lost ~27 lbs since joining this site, and 60 lbs total! :D I am definitely interested in a meet up sometime. Friend me if you feel so inclined!
  • AmandaTheNewMe
    AmandaTheNewMe Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! :) I live in KC. I'm working on getting rid of those last 10-12 lbs. I've lost ~27 lbs since joining this site, and 60 lbs total! :D I am definitely interested in a meet up sometime. Friend me if you feel so inclined!

request sent