Introduce yourself and your favorite firearms!

Options

Replies

• brittanyjeanxo
    brittanyjeanxo Posts: 1,831 Member
    Options
    Hi, my name is Ashlea. Been raised around guns most my life. I recently completed the concealed carry course (Missouri) in October and am now working on the steps through the Sheriff's Department to officially have a concealed carry license. I'm looking into getting a Ruger LCP .380. I like this one because I think it will be best for what I'm looking for: fit into my back pocket if needed, my purse, or easily a holster (ankle or hip) and not look entirely too bulky on me. Has enough bite, with not too much kick so I could feel comfy carrying it around (when I feel I need to). {also open for other suggestions here.....from all you gun experts in here:) }

I'll be honest, I don't know much about names of guns... brands, etc. etc. (girl in me??) BUT, I love to practice shooting them. And I will never stop believing I have the right to own/carry them.

Well welcome to the group! That doesn't sound like an awful carry piece to me. A bit on the small side, for my taste, but that's just me :) (Me like big gun. Big gun go boom.)
  • n003k
    n003k Posts: 58
    Options
    Nice! Congratulations on completing the course lea. Might I suggest you try out an inside the waistband holster as another note? It's my personal prefered method of carry and is quite concealable with minimum impact on wardrobe options given how little of the gun is exposed from your pants.
  • n003k
    Options
    I'm Bryce...Former 91B of the US ARMY

PX4 Storm subcompact for CCW -
    Glock 23 .45 cal for my do all
    Kimber Tactical Custom II .45
    Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 - 0.5 pound trigger pull baby
    Barret .50 for peashooting
    Browning 525 Citori Golden Clay
    Colt M4 Tactical..sweeeeeeeeeeetness

Oh, and a Browning Target .22, but that one is about to go to my son as soon as he masters the breakdown and reassembly

I'm sorry, but, a G23 in .45cal? Do you mean a G23 in .40S&W? Or do you mean a G21, G30, or G36? The G23 is a compact version in .40S&W, not .45cal. In addition, a gun with a HALF POUND trigger pull? That's just...dangerous.
  • luv_lea
    luv_lea Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Nice! Congratulations on completing the course lea. Might I suggest you try out an inside the waistband holster as another note? It's my personal prefered method of carry and is quite concealable with minimum impact on wardrobe options given how little of the gun is exposed from your pants.

Well I've never seen these...but will look into them. I wear my pants pretty fitting so not sure how well that would work.
  • n003k
    Options
    Ah, well, then yea, might need to go another route unless you have pants that fit loose. :P Always plenty of options though, if you have roomy pockets might even try pocket carry, but if you do so DEFINITELY get a holster for it. Good luck making your decision on HOW to carry it!
  • luv_lea
    Options
    My pants and pockets are both not 'roomy' at all....which is why I was looking into a smaller pistol in the first place.

I have ways of HOW to carry in mind, but if all else fails, I have a great knowledgeable person helping me with the technicalities of it all. Thanks tho. :)
  • gdr1976
    gdr1976 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Hi I am Glen, also I CT.

Have always shot shotguns with my dad. We'd go to the gun club he belonged to and shoot trap, although I was never very good.
    As a teen he got me a .410 and it's still at their house. Now have a .22, and want to get my pistol permit.
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I’m Mike and also from Connecticut

Let’s see if I can remember what I have:

Pistols
    -Browning Hi Power (Full Belgian)
    -Glock 17 (First generation- complete)
    -Colt Combat Commander (too many combat mods to name)
    -Springfield XDm
    -S&W M&P 9 VTAC
    -ParaOrdnance LDA 7+1
    -HK USPc
    -HK Tactical with AAC Tirant suppressor
    -Walther P-22 with Gemtech Outback suppressor (full titanium baffles)
    -1911 (trigger job and reblued- made in 1928 for USMC)
    -3 or 4 more I cannot think of off hand

Rifles
    -Colt Sporter (M4-orgery) (Noveske VLTOR 10.5” upper, Aimpoint Comp M4 with 3x Flip to side magnifier, 2nd Gen night vision, Magpul furniture and BUIS, AAC M4-2000 suppressor)
    -HK UMP SBR (EOtech sight, Surefire green laser and light, Gemtech UMP suppressor)
    -AR-15 built on Spikes lower and Spikes A2 upper rebarreled with a pencil barrel (Magpul furniture and BUIS, Surefire FA556-212 suppressor)
    -AR-15 built in Stag lower with Stag A2 upper (ACE combat skeleton stock, Magpul AFG and BUIS, Aimpoint Comp M4)
    -Tigr converted to SVD (SVD furniture, SVD bipod, SVD mags, correct 1P21 SVD scope, SVD flash hider)
    -Springfield M1A (VLTOR stock, trigger job, Burris 3-9x Fullfield II scope)
    -FNH FS2000
    -CETME (a real MARS import CETME from 1968)
    -MSAR (currently being sold)
    -GSG-5
    -Remington 700VTR (Leupold 8.5 x 25 Mark 4 LR/T M1 and Canjar trigger)
    -Remington 700 (Canjar trigger)
    -Marlin 22lr
    -3 stripped AR lowers (2x 5.56 and 1x 7.62) and one stripped 5.56 upper
    -2 or 3 more I cannot think of right now

Shotgun
    -Benelli with side saddle and ghost ring

I have 1800 rounds pre-loaded in magazines. Around another 10k in high quality rounds in ready storage and 3-4k of training ammo at any one time.

I am serious about guncraft- I take one or two advanced training classes per year. Typically one pistol and one carbine class. I train with either my son or my friend, Amy.

My favorites? I carry the M&P VTAC or Colt Combat Commander with 2 spare mags. Home defense is either the SBR AR or the UMP. I carry Wilson combat ammo for the pistols, the AR for home defense runs 55gr LE TAP, and the UMP uses 230gr Gold Dots.
  • swordsmith
    Options
    My pants and pockets are both not 'roomy' at all....which is why I was looking into a smaller pistol in the first place.

I have ways of HOW to carry in mind, but if all else fails, I have a great knowledgeable person helping me with the technicalities of it all. Thanks tho. :)

Never carry a gun without a holster. A number of high quality pocket holsters are available for mouse guns.

Same deal with a purse (caveat- I do NOT advocate women carrying firearms in their purse- kep them on your person). However if you do make sure the weapon is in a holster.
  • luv_lea
    Options
    I’m Mike and also from Connecticut

Let’s see if I can remember what I have:

Pistols
    -Browning Hi Power (Full Belgian)
    -Glock 17 (First generation- complete)
    -Colt Combat Commander (too many combat mods to name)
    -Springfield XDm
    -S&W M&P 9 VTAC
    -ParaOrdnance LDA 7+1
    -HK USPc
    -HK Tactical with AAC Tirant suppressor
    -Walther P-22 with Gemtech Outback suppressor (full titanium baffles)
    -1911 (trigger job and reblued- made in 1928 for USMC)
    -3 or 4 more I cannot think of off hand

Rifles
    -Colt Sporter (M4-orgery) (Noveske VLTOR 10.5” upper, Aimpoint Comp M4 with 3x Flip to side magnifier, 2nd Gen night vision, Magpul furniture and BUIS, AAC M4-2000 suppressor)
    -HK UMP SBR (EOtech sight, Surefire green laser and light, Gemtech UMP suppressor)
    -AR-15 built on Spikes lower and Spikes A2 upper rebarreled with a pencil barrel (Magpul furniture and BUIS, Surefire FA556-212 suppressor)
    -AR-15 built in Stag lower with Stag A2 upper (ACE combat skeleton stock, Magpul AFG and BUIS, Aimpoint Comp M4)
    -Tigr converted to SVD (SVD furniture, SVD bipod, SVD mags, correct 1P21 SVD scope, SVD flash hider)
    -Springfield M1A (VLTOR stock, trigger job, Burris 3-9x Fullfield II scope)
    -FNH FS2000
    -CETME (a real MARS import CETME from 1968)
    -MSAR (currently being sold)
    -GSG-5
    -Remington 700VTR (Leupold 8.5 x 25 Mark 4 LR/T M1 and Canjar trigger)
    -Remington 700 (Canjar trigger)
    -Marlin 22lr
    -3 stripped AR lowers (2x 5.56 and 1x 7.62) and one stripped 5.56 upper
    -2 or 3 more I cannot think of right now

Shotgun
    -Benelli with side saddle and ghost ring

I have 1800 rounds pre-loaded in magazines. Around another 10k in high quality rounds in ready storage and 3-4k of training ammo at any one time.

I am serious about guncraft- I take one or two advanced training classes per year. Typically one pistol and one carbine class. I train with either my son or my friend, Amy.

My favorites? I carry the M&P VTAC or Colt Combat Commander with 2 spare mags. Home defense is either the SBR AR or the UMP. I carry Wilson combat ammo for the pistols, the AR for home defense runs 55gr LE TAP, and the UMP uses 230gr Gold Dots.

DAAAMNNN! I like you! :)

And as for carrying, I am thinking an ankle holster is going to work best for me. I wear fairly fitted clothing, and I guess I'm not really interested in 'advertising' that I have a gun on me by wearing a hip holster. My bf sent me a link to a holster that hooks onto your bra...haha....but we decided the practicality beind that is probably not that great. Putting it in my purse never really seemed like a great idea to me. On me or in my car is where I most likely see myself having it.

I guess my intro wasn't clear in stating what suggestions I was open to (I'll admit...not best with words sometimes) I meant more open to suggestions on a good carry firearm. My bf is a fomer marine and has helped me with everything so far. You seem pretty knowledgeable with guns and I'm open to other suggestions. Would you have any suggestions for a good carry piece for a female?? Thanks! :)
  • swordsmith
    Options
    *snip*

DAAAMNNN! I like you! :)

And as for carrying, I am thinking an ankle holster is going to work best for me. I wear fairly fitted clothing, and I guess I'm not really interested in 'advertising' that I have a gun on me by wearing a hip holster. My bf sent me a link to a holster that hooks onto your bra...haha....but we decided the practicality beind that is probably not that great. Putting it in my purse never really seemed like a great idea to me. On me or in my car is where I most likely see myself having it.

I guess my intro wasn't clear in stating what suggestions I was open to (I'll admit...not best with words sometimes) I meant more open to suggestions on a good carry firearm. My bf is a fomer marine and has helped me with everything so far. You seem pretty knowledgeable with guns and I'm open to other suggestions. Would you have any suggestions for a good carry piece for a female?? Thanks! :)

LOL- thank you!

I will send a more detailed response to you via MFP message later tonight (at work right now) re: weapons as I may need to ask some questions.

I try to steer people away from ankle or shoulder holsters as a pistol is best deployed from the waist for a number of reasons. Ankle holsters are good for a hold out piece or secondary but not as a primary. If you are being attacked most likely the encounter will be at 10 feet or less (i.e. "mugging range") and as a female a male bad guy may get in much closer then that. The question is do you want to be bending over, taking your eyes off the attacker, exposing your back/back of head, while you yank up a pants leg with one hand while attempting to draw with the other all the while hobbling your ability to move? If the gun is small enough to fit in an ankle holster its small enough to fit in a pocket which is better although waist carry is preferred.

From the waist your options are infinite. You can blade your gun side away from the attacker while using the support side arm/hand to block or fend off the attacker while you pull. You can move- backwards, sideways, forward, etc or whatever is required. But probably the most important thing is you never have to take your eyes off the attacker or present him a vulnerable target! Also bad guys dont necesarily travel alone- if you are standing up and can see you can also look around to see if anyone else is ghosting you so that you can act as appropriate.

A LOT of women dont think they can carry on their body but they can. Men have the same problem honestly which is how to dress to conceal. Some of this can be alleviated by clothing and some by the firearm itself- carrying a firearm will require conscious clothing choices. There are actually a lot of clothing options women can use to carry and conceal- and if you can conceal the weapon you can conceal reloads (i.e. extra mags).

I would recommend you and any other women go to this site:
    http://corneredcat.com/

Kathy is a shooter and highly knowledgeable! This site is written by and for women as it relates to guns, carrying, etc. There is also YouTube vids I will try to find of a woman in her mid-20s who shows a number of concealement options for clothes ranging from jeans and sweats to cocktail dresses to super tight club clothing.

FInally the bra holster- dont do it. Again you have the problem of both of your hands being engaged (one to pull up your shirt and one to pull the gun). You run the risk of the weapon being caught in your clothes or even worse under stress your finger will go into the trigger and you end up sending a round into yourself or someone standing next to you. I am not keen on pulling a weapon from under clothes, across ones body or in any fashion where the muzzle is pointed in an unsafe direction for longer then normal. Remember every bullet comes with a lawyer attached and you want them only going into the bad guy!

Will send a message later!
  • luv_lea
    Options
    Very good points! I'll check out that website, and looking forward to a message later! Thanks!
  • TallyNick
    TallyNick Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Hi all. Good group. I have only 2 guns at the moment, my Ruger SP101 .357 snubbie DAO and a 'tactical' semi auto shotgun. the Ruger is my carry weapon, been looking to get the Ruger LCP .380 also as a smaller carry weapon when the SP101 isnt as practical. Also interested in getting an MP5.
  • ebramlett
    ebramlett Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Hello Everyone! My name is Eric, father of two fine little boys, Jake and Ford. My favorite gun(s) right now are all of my Browning A-Bolt deer rifles )especially since it is hunting season here)!

I took my oldest son Jake (6yrs old) hunting for his first time yesterday and he bagged his first deer with a Browning A-Bolt 30-06. Of course I held the gun for him and let him pull the trigger but in his eyes he did it all!! Proud papa!!
  • luv_lea
    Options
    Hello Everyone! My name is Eric, father of two fine little boys, Jake and Ford. My favorite gun(s) right now are all of my Browning A-Bolt deer rifles )especially since it is hunting season here)!

I took my oldest son Jake (6yrs old) hunting for his first time yesterday and he bagged his first deer with a Browning A-Bolt 30-06. Of course I held the gun for him and let him pull the trigger but in his eyes he did it all!! Proud papa!!

Aww! That's so awesome! :)
  • JansterL
    JansterL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Greetings!
    Just introducing myself. My husband and I have been shooting for many years. We own several...which I don't like to mention too often online. But I've been known to slip ;)

We enjoy shooting steal plates in the pistol pits of our 'not so local' sportsman club. Seems our local clubs just don't have the amenities we enjoy....and driving 40 minutes to go shooting is the norm for us.

My husband reloads 9mm, .223, .45, and .308.

I'm left eye dominant. I'm a bit back *kitten*-wards. I shoot rifle left handed and shoot pistol right handed (I'm actually right handed). We both have CC permits.

We just got a new toy for Christmas - a Remington 700. That is FUN FUN FUN to shoot and learn..... All the sniper talk and mathematics boggles my mind, but I know I could understand it more if we had a range longer than 200 yards to shoot at. There is another club 'not so local' that has a 600 yard range that we're going to try and get into this summer...maybe...if they'll let us in.

So, just checking in on a boring & cold winter afternoon...I like to chat for the heck of it.

Happy & Safe shooting everyone and good luck on your goals!
    Jandy
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    I'm Bryce...Former 91B of the US ARMY

PX4 Storm subcompact for CCW -
    Glock 23 .45 cal for my do all
    Kimber Tactical Custom II .45
    Kimber Eclipse Target II .45 - 0.5 pound trigger pull baby
    Barret .50 for peashooting
    Browning 525 Citori Golden Clay
    Colt M4 Tactical..sweeeeeeeeeeetness

Oh, and a Browning Target .22, but that one is about to go to my son as soon as he masters the breakdown and reassembly

Nice to see someone else from reno!
  • n003k
    Options
    Greetings!
    Just introducing myself. My husband and I have been shooting for many years. We own several...which I don't like to mention too often online. But I've been known to slip ;)

We enjoy shooting steal plates in the pistol pits of our 'not so local' sportsman club. Seems our local clubs just don't have the amenities we enjoy....and driving 40 minutes to go shooting is the norm for us.

My husband reloads 9mm, .223, .45, and .308.

I'm left eye dominant. I'm a bit back *kitten*-wards. I shoot rifle left handed and shoot pistol right handed (I'm actually right handed). We both have CC permits.

We just got a new toy for Christmas - a Remington 700. That is FUN FUN FUN to shoot and learn..... All the sniper talk and mathematics boggles my mind, but I know I could understand it more if we had a range longer than 200 yards to shoot at. There is another club 'not so local' that has a 600 yard range that we're going to try and get into this summer...maybe...if they'll let us in.

So, just checking in on a boring & cold winter afternoon...I like to chat for the heck of it.

Happy & Safe shooting everyone and good luck on your goals!
    Jandy

That's great! Welcome to the group, Jandy. People don't like to be too active around here, but don't be a stranger! I would love this group to be more talkative.

P.S. My fiancee is also left eye dominant/right hand dominant!

• JansterL
    JansterL Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thanks Nick (and Brittany),

There are more lefty/righties than I thought!!

Do you guys CC??

Just for an FYI to anyone who CC's and is interested in that sort of thing..... I"m not here to make an ad or sell anything, just wanted to recommend a really really eye-opening book about the legalities of self defense. It's a damn good book!!
    By Massad Ayoob "In the Gravest Extreme"
    We've passed this around to our friends and I want to read it a second time.

I can't wait for the warmer weather to come back so we can get out and shoot more!!
  • n003k
    Options
    I CC, Brittany is still too young though for CT. (Have to be 21 to get a permit, and the only way to legally purchase a handgun in CT is with a carry permit, or an 'eligibility certificate' which also requires 21, and is just as hard to get!)

I've also heard great things about Ayoob's books, and about the man himself. Might actually have to go ahead and get the book finally.