Recipes

Options

Replies

• marathon64
    marathon64 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Simple lunch:

I discovered these Josephs tortillas (flax, oat bran and whole wheat) that brown really nicely and have 7 grams of protein. Spread with half an avocado, a few handfuls of spinach and some horseradish sauce and grill on the George Foreman. Yum!
  • katejkelley
    katejkelley Posts: 841 Member
    Options
    Simple lunch:

I discovered these Josephs tortillas (flax, oat bran and whole wheat) that brown really nicely and have 7 grams of protein. Spread with half an avocado, a few handfuls of spinach and some horseradish sauce and grill on the George Foreman. Yum!

This sounds wonderful - I will definitely give it a try!
  • redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    AMAZING Quinoa and Lemon Bake

Ingredients
    • 3 cups vegetable broth
    • 1 cup quinoa (or 2 cups cooked)
    • Olive oil
    • 2 tsp vegan Ener-G egg replacer + 4 tbsp water
    • 1 medium onion, peeled and diced
    • 2 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
    • 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tsp dried)
    • 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely chopped (or 1 tsp dried)
    • ¼ teaspoon crushed red-pepper flakes
    • 1 pound spinach leaves, picked and washed
    • 1 cup Tofutti sour cream (or cashew sour cream or tofu sour cream)
    • 1 tsp fresh lemon zest
    • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
    • 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    Instructions
    1. Bring broth and quinoa to boil. Lower heat to lowest setting and simmer while covered for about 20 minutes or until it is fluffy and the tiny curls stick out from the seeds.
    2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-by-8-inch glass or ceramic baking dish with olive oil.
    3. In a large medium mixing bowl, whisk egg replacer and water together. Set aside.
    4. Heat 1 tbsp olive oil in a medium pan. Add onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 8 minutes.
    5. Add thyme, rosemary, and red-pepper flakes, and spinach and sauté until just wilted. Remove from heat; transfer to the egg mixture.
    6. Add quinoa, sour cream, lemon zest, pepper, and nutritional yeast to the spinach-onion mixture, and stir until well combined.
    7. Pour the mixture into the prepared baking dish, and place in the oven. Bake for 60 minutes, until set and edges are brown. Let cool slightly before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.
  • AleciaG724
    AleciaG724 Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    I found this recipe on Pinterest and we all love it with blue tortilla chips.

BUFFALO CHICKPEA DIP
    The cashews do not need to be soaked for this dip, but if you’re the soaking type or don’t feel terribly confident in your blender/food processor’s capabilities, feel free to soak them overnight. Also, make at least a few hours ahead to allow all the flavors time to meld together; cover with plastic wrap, refrigerate, and bake just before serving.

1 15-oz can white beans, drained and rinsed
    1 cup raw cashews
    ¾ cup original Frank’s Red Hot sauce
    1/2 cup unflavored, unsweetened non-dairy milk
    2 teaspoons lemon juice (about ½ lemon)
    1 rounded tablespoon nutritional yeast (optional)
    ½ teaspoon onion powder
    ½ teaspoon garlic powder
    Ground black pepper
    Kosher salt
    1 teaspoon fresh, finely-chopped parsley
    1 teaspoon fresh chopped chives
    1 15-oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    1 cup Daiya cheddar-style cheese, divided

Preheat oven to 375˚F.
    Add beans and cashews to the food processor. Pulse several times to break them up a bit. Add hot sauce, non-dairy milk, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, and a pinch of black pepper. Process until mixture is entirely smooth. Adjust salt to taste.
    Scrape bean mixture into a bowl and stir in the parsley and chives to evenly distribute. Stir in chickpeas and 3/4 cup of Daiya. Transfer the dip to a 9×9-inch square baking dish and sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup of Daiya on top. (Note: Dip can be made up to this point a day or two ahead. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate until ready to heat and serve.) Cover baking dish tightly with foil and bake for 30 to 35 minutes, until warmed through. Serve with tortilla chips or veggies for dipping.

I just pinned this recipe the other day!
  • AleciaG724
    Options
    Silky Chocolate Espresso Mousse (makes 6 servings)

16oz box organic silken tofu
    2 Tbsp. unsweetened coco powder
    1 Tbsp. instant espresso powder (plus more for garnish)
    1/4 c. agave nectar
    1 Tbsp. coconut oil
    pinch of sea salt
    mini vegan dark chocolate chips

Drain tofu carefully to remove excess water, be very gentle so it doesn't break apart. Place tofu and remaining ingredients except chocolate chips into a blender container. Pulse a few times then blend at high speed for about two minutes, scraping sides of container half way through. Pour into a bowl with a tight-fitting lid and use a rubber spatula to get every drop from the blender container. Chill for at least 4 hours, preferably overnight. Serve with mini chocolate chips and a little espresso powder sprinkled on top.

1 serving has ~123 calories, 15g carbs, 6g fat, 5g calcium, 4g iron, 17g potassium

http://hugsnquiches.blogspot.com/2013/05/silky-chocolate-espresso-mousse.html
  • AleciaG724
    Options
    Creamy Veggie Dip (makes about 8oz)

4oz. silken tofu
    1 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
    1 clove garlic
    1" piece of carrot
    1/2 of a mushroom
    1/4 of a green bell pepper
    1/2 of a serrano pepper, seeded
    dash of cayenne
    salt and freshly ground black pepper
    celery sticks or other raw veggies for dipping

Very finely mince all veggies except celery. Mash tofu and lemon juice with a fork in a medium bowl, and add minced veggies, cayenne, salt and pepper. Mix until very well combined and tofu is completely broken down and creamy. Serve with celery sticks for dipping.

About 90 calories for 1/2 cup serving

http://hugsnquiches.blogspot.com/2013/04/late-night-snack-creamy-veggie-dip-vegan.html
  • AleciaG724
    Options
    Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup (serves 6-8)

1 large onion, chopped
    3 Tbsp olive oil
    3 cloves garlic, chopped
    1½ tsp cumin
    1½ tsp ground coriander
    pinch of ground cayenne
    1¾ cups split red lentils
    bunch of celery leaves, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    2 quarts vegetable stock
    salt & pepper to taste
    juice of one lemon
    vegan sour cream (optional)
    finely minced carrot (optional)
    seeded and finely minced serrano pepper (optional)

In a large soup pot, soften onion in oil over medium heat for 2-3 minutes then add garlic, cumin, coriander and cayenne. Stir and toast the spices for a minute or two. Stir in the lentils, celery leaves and carrot. Cover with stock and bring to a gentle boil, stirring occasionally and scraping the bottom of the pot to release any spices that may have stuck. Reduce heat and simmer 35-45 minutes or until lentils are soft. Add salt and pepper to taste. Puree soup in batches in a blender, or use a stick blender directly in the pot. Stir in lemon juice and adjust consistency of soup with water or additional stock if necessary - it shouldn't be too thick. Garnish with about 1 tsp. each of the sour cream carrots & serrano peppers, if desired.

About 100 calories per 8oz serving.

http://hugsnquiches.blogspot.com/2013/04/middle-eastern-red-lentil-soup.html
  • lemonmon1
    lemonmon1 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Pasta Primavera with Broccoli Cashew Cream Sauce

I made this yesterday to last the work week. The recipe has 10 servings, as my husband and I each have a serving Monday-Friday. A serving is 1.5 cups of the final mixture with the sauce mixed in.

Delallo - 100% Organic Whole Wheat Pasta Shells No. 91, 1 container (16 oz ea.)

Bell Peppers - Raw Chopped, All Colors, 2 cups

Celery, Raw, Chopped (Correct), 1 cup (10grams)

Raw - Green Beans - 1 Pound, 1 pound (about 2.25 cups)

Onions - Spring or scallions (includes tops and bulb), raw, 2 cups, chopped

Carrots - Raw, 2 cup, chopped

Filippo Berio - Olive Oil for Sauteing & Grilling (Not E.V.O.O.), 2 Tblspn (for sauteeing vegetables in batches - 1 tbsp per batch)

Wegman's - Don't Be Chicken Meatless Chicken Style Strips, 1 container (36 strips ea.)

Wegman's - Don't Have A Cow: Meatless Beef Style Strips, 1 container (21 strips ea.)

Parsley, Chopped, 1/2 cup raw

_Broccoli Cashew Cream Sauce_

Broccoli - Raw, 6 cups, chopped

Unsweetened So Delicious Coconut Milk, 3 cups

Raw Cashews - Raw Cashews, 1/2 cup

Old Fashioned Barrel Sauerkraut, 16 Tbsp. (30g)

Red Star - Nutritional Yeast Flakes (1.5tbsp:16g), 16 g

Trader Joe's - Sea Salt Fine Crystals, 1 tsp

Parsley, Chopped, 1/2 cup raw

Garlic powder, onion powder, crushed red pepper (to taste - about 1/2-1 tsp each)

Boil the pasta and steam the broccoli. Set the broccoli aside for the sauce. Sauteed the vegetables in 2 batches, using 1 tbsp oil for each batch. Thaw the chikn and not beef strips and chop them up and add them to the vegetables. For the sauce, using your best blender: pour in the coconut milk. Add the cashews, nutritional yeast, and spices and about half the broccoli. Blend until you have room to add the rest of the broccoli and the parsley. Combine the pasta, vegetables, and sauce and mix until evenly distributed. and then... YUM!

Per Serving (including sauce): 371 calories, 51g carbs, 10g carbs, 22g protein, 26% calcium, 39% iron
  • sarahhorrigan
    sarahhorrigan Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Tofu, Spinach and Cashew Plait

(serves 8 - smallish portions - 280 calories per slice)

INGREDIENTS

2 tablespoons vegetable oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    400 g firm tofu, unpressed (I just used a packet of Cauldron Tofu)
    30 g (1.2 oz) cashew nuts, finely chopped
    1/4 teaspoon turmeric
    1/2 teaspoon curry powder, hot or mild depending on taste
    1 teaspoon English or Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons dried sage (or fresh)
    1.5 teaspoons dried thyme (or fresh)
    Pinch of red chilli flakes
    1 teaspoon black pepper
    2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
    1 tablespoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, or mushroom ketchup
    250 ml (10 fl oz) vegetable stock
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    Pinch brown sugar
    50 g (2 oz) fresh breadcrumbs
    200 g (7 oz) finely chopped fresh spinach, that has been wilted and drained of any excess water.
    250 g (9 oz) shop bought or ready made puff pastry

METHOD

Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius (400 F) Gas Mark 6.

Fry the onion and garlic in the oil until the onions have softened.

Crumble in the tofu and nuts and continue to fry for 4-5 minutes until the mixture starts to become dry.

Now add all of the other ingredients and keep the pan on a medium to high heat, stirring frequently, and cook until the mixture resembles a fairly dry mixture (it's important that it's not too wet) and holds together.

Taste for seasoning.

Next, roll out 250 g of puff pastry into an oblong approximately 40cm in length and 25cm in width. Cut it in half.

Place half the mixture in the middle of one half of the pastry and then cut the pastry on a diagonal, towards you, so that the pastry can be plaited.

Brush around the filling with water, then fold up the pastry over the filling.

Repeat with the other half of pastry and filling - you should make two plaits. You could make one large one if you were serving 8 people, but otherwise, make two and freeze one.

Place on a baking sheet and brush liberally with soya milk and bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden brown and serve.

(adapted from http://www.theveganhousehold.com/mains/tofu-spinach-and-cashew-plait/)
  • azcowgirrlup
    azcowgirrlup Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    As the title said, recipes! If you have any you would like to share, post below.

To start off with, I have this awesome easy recipe for chickpea patties:

2 cans Chickpeas (Garbanzo Beans)
    1 small red onion
    A big handful of Coriander (Cilantro)
    1t Cumin
    2T Flour

Blend all of the above ingredients (except flour) in a blender until smooth, then stir the flour through.
    Shape into 12 small patties and fry in a frying pan (could also try oven baking them if you can't afford the oil calories)

3 patties is one serve :) from memory the recipe book says 377cal per serve

Alex

I am going to make these this week. Thanks for posting the recipe.
  • mikeveggie68
    mikeveggie68 Posts: 116
    Options
    i just added Vegan Spicy Creamy Kale Pasta to mfp dbm, found at link below

http://caloriecount.about.com/vegan-spicy-creamy-kale-pasta-recipe-r1340813

Makes 4 servings

This dish was super quick. I just boiled some pasta, cooked the kale in olive oil, and pureed an easy cashew sauce in the blender. Throw it all together and you?ve got something that delivers on both flavor and nutrients.

Recipe Ingredients for Vegan Spicy Creamy Kale Pasta
    8 oz dry Whole Wheat Penne
    0.75 cup Raw Cashews
    0.25 medium (2-1/2" dia) Onions
    4 cup, chopped Kale
    1 tablespoons Nutritional Yeast
    2 tbsp All Natural Medium Salsa
    0.25 cup Pure Almond Original
    0.5 tsp Paprika
    1 tsp Chili Powder
    1 tsp Spices Crushed Red Peppers
    1 tsp Garlic Salt
    2 tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Recipe Directions for Vegan Spicy Creamy Kale Pasta
    1.What You Need

2.8 ounces penne pasta

3.3/4 cup cashews

4.1/4 onion, chopped

5.3 large handfuls of kale (about 4-5 cups, loosely packed)

6.1 tablespoon nutritional yeast

7.2 tablespoons salsa (optional)

8.1/4 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk

9.1/2 tsp. paprika

10.1 tsp. chile powder

11.1 tsp. red pepper flakes

12.1 tsp. garlic salt

13.Olive oil

14.Directions

15.Cook pasta according to directions. In a large pan, warm a few tablespoons of olive oil. Toss in chopped onions and kale, and saut? until kale has cooked down completely. In a blender, add cashews, nutritional yeast, spices, salsa, and non-dairy milk. Blend until you have a creamy consistency, adding more milk or water if too thick. Add cooked kale to pasta pot and toss with cream sauce. Sprinkle with a dash of chile powder for some color. Enjoy!
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Here are a few of my favorites:

VEGETARIAN CHILI

1 ½ cups cooked kidney beans
    1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans
    1 can Dakota Pride Mild Chili Beans (my secret weapon-only thing I buy at Aldi’s)
    1 onion, diced
    2 green bell peppers, diced
    1 can diced tomatoes (do not drain)
    2 ½ cups water
    1 tblsp chix bullion powder (vegan)
    1 tblsp chili powder
    1 tblsp garlic salt
    1 tblsp cumin

Bring everything to a boil and cook until onions and peppers are soft – about 15 minutes.

Makes 8 (1-cup) servings

Ratatouille. Dice & saute up in a tablespoon of olive oil:

1 eggplant
    1 zucchini
    1 green pepper
    1 onion
    1 clove garlic, minced

Once everything is getting fairly cooked, add in a can of diced tomatoes with juice and a couple tablespoons of tomato paste. Season with salt & pepper, basil and parsley. I like to toast hoagie buns, load them with this, add (vegan) mozzarella and put under the broiler for just a minute - until the cheese is melted. YUM!

Avocado Tofu Sandwich

Baked Tofu: Press & drain 1 block firm tofu. Cut into 4 "patties". Brush on mixture of soy sauce and liquid smoke, then sprinkle on garlic powder, salt & pepper. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Flip and bake additional 15 minutes.

Avocado "mayo": Mash 1 avocado and combine with 1 T red wine vinegar, salt, pepper and parsley. Use this in place of mayo.

Serve in a pita with a slice of tomato.

Very Veggie "Spaghetti"

2 Tbsp Tuscan Herb Extra Virgin Olive Oil (or regular EVOO)
    1 Onion, diced
    10 oz jar sliced Mushrooms
    2 large Zucchini, shredded in food processor
    2 large Carrots, shredded in food processor
    2 cloves Garlic, minced
    1 can (15 oz) Tomato Sauce, no salt added
    1 can (15 oz) Diced Tomatoes, no salt added - DO NOT DRAIN
    2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
    2 Tbsp Flaxmeal
    1 Tbsp dried Basil
    1 Tbsp dried Parsley
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Nutritional Yeast (optional)

I like to use my julienne peeler and make a huge mound of raw carrot "pasta"...then I top it with my very veggie sauce. Sometimes I like to julienne both carrot & zucchini. YUM!

Devilish Chick Spread:

3 cups drained chickpeas
    1/2 cup mayo (I make my own vegan version)
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 Tblsp prepared yellow mustard
    1 Tblsp lemon juice
    3 Tblsp fresh chives

Pulse everything together in the food processor until blended.

Three Bean Salad:

1.5 cups cooked kidney beans
    1.5 cups cooked chickpeas
    2 cups cooked green beans
    1/2 white onion, finely diced
    1/2 green bell pepper, finely diced

Dressing:

2 T olive oil
    2 T apple cider vinegar
    parsley, salt & pepper to taste

Mix dressing, stir in beans, onion and bell pepper and let marinate for at least 2 hours.

Quinoa Veggie Plate

Ingredients
    1/2 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed
    1 cup water
    1 tsp vegan chix bouillion (optional)
    1 cup frozen green beans
    1 cup frozen cut carrots
    1 cup frozen peppers and onions

*Sauce:
    1/3 cup tomato sauce
    1/3 cup diced tomato with juice
    1 tsp Italian Seasoning
    1 tsp dried minced onion
    Dash of garlic powder
    Salt and Pepper to taste

1 tsp Nutritional Yeast
    Sprinkling of Adobo Seasoning

Directions
    Bring 1 cup water to a boil. Add vegan chix flavored bouillion, if desired. After boiling, stir in rinsed quinoa, lower heat to medium low, cover and cook 15 to 20 minutes, until quinoa is semi-translucent.

While quinoa is cooking, steam green beans, carrots, peppers and onions for 12 minutes.

For sauce, combine tomato sauce, tomatoes, Italian seasoning, dried minced onion, garlic powder, salt and pepper and heat on stove for 5 to 10 minutes.*

To plate, divide quinoa onto two plates, top each with half of the veggies and sprinkle on Adobo seasoning. Divide the tomato sauce and pour over each plate and top each one with 1/2 tsp of nutritional yeast.**

Tips
    *To speed this up, you can substitute your favorite pasta sauce for the sauce recipe.

Baked sweet potato with the following topping (ingredients listed tops 2 sweet potatoes):

Combine 1/4 cup beans (red, black, white, pinto...your choice), 1 diced tomato, 1/2 diced onion, 1 tablespoon ground flax, 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast, 1 tablespoon lime juice, cilantro, salt and pepper. Mix it all up and top the sweet potatoes.

I usually just stab the potatoes with a fork several times and microwave them for 10 minutes and they turn out perfect!
  • SpicesOfLife
    SpicesOfLife Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    *dusts off this old thread*

*cough*

so i just tried these amazing chickpea burgers, soooo delicious! :)

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/colleens-chickpea-burgers-with-tahini-sauce.html

i used large lettuce leaves instead of buns, because lets face it, buns are not worth the calories.

i added red bell pepper, tomato and raw onions between the patty and the sauce.

total calories for a portion of 2 burgers: 438
    carbs: 56
    fat: 14
    protein: 20
    iron: 33
    fibre: 9

5wfj.jpg

f30v.jpg
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    *dusts off this old thread*

*cough*

so i just tried these amazing chickpea burgers, soooo delicious! :)

http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/2011/10/colleens-chickpea-burgers-with-tahini-sauce.html

i used large lettuce leaves instead of buns, because lets face it, buns are not worth the calories.

i added red bell pepper, tomato and raw onions between the patty and the sauce.

total calories for a portion of 2 burgers: 438
    carbs: 56
    fat: 14
    protein: 20
    iron: 33
    fibre: 9

5wfj.jpg

f30v.jpg

That looks freaking PHENOMINAL!!!
  • SpicesOfLife
    Options
    That looks freaking PHENOMINAL!!!

• sebj93
    sebj93 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Here's my Best Breakfast Smoothie

Creative Nature - Hemp Protein Powder - 2 tbsp
    Seeds - Sesame seeds, whole, dried, 2 tbsp
    Linseed - 1 Tbsp
    Blueberries - Frzn, 0.5 cup
    Maca Powder, 2 tsp
    Almond Milk - Homemade, 1 cup
    Strawberries - Frzn, 0.5 cup, whole
    Bananas - Raw, 1 medium (7" to 7-7/8" long)
    !!!!BLEND THE **** OUTA IT!!!!

And my Healthy Hot Chocolate

the Raw Chocolate Company - Faitrade Organic Raw Cacao Powder, 7.38 g (1 cup)
    Rude Health - Oat Drink, 284 ml (1 cup) - heated
  • earthboundmisfit
    earthboundmisfit Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Strawberry Muffins

2 cups flour
    1/2 cup sugar
    1 tablespoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1 cup chopped strawberries
    egg replacer equivalent to 1 egg
    3/4 cup soy or almond milk
    1/3 cup oil

For topping:
    1 tablespoon sugar
    1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

Combine first 4 ingredients. Whisk together egg replacer, milk and oil. Add to dry ingredients until just moistened. Fold in strawberries. Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Combine sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle on top of each. Bake at 400 degrees F for 20 minutes. Makes 1 dozen.
  • CrescentEddy
    CrescentEddy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    tonight my girlfriend made: avocado chocolate mousse. a-maz-ing.

basically: mashed up avey, with cocoa powder, something sweet and some vanilla.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11379/the-best-vegan-chocolate-mousse-youll-ever-put-in-your-mouth.html
  • SpicesOfLife
    Options
    tonight my girlfriend made: avocado chocolate mousse. a-maz-ing.

basically: mashed up avey, with cocoa powder, something sweet and some vanilla.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11379/the-best-vegan-chocolate-mousse-youll-ever-put-in-your-mouth.html

i will definitely try this :) not normally a big fan of mousse but this sounds strangely awesome! thanks for that.

will also try the strawberry muffins as they dont seem to be as "bad" (in the sense of sugar/butter) as usual recipes, and i LOVE strawberries!
  • Lard_Vader
    Lard_Vader Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Stu's Dreamy Mocha Protein Smoothie

1.5 cup almond milk
    4oz Cool Brew Iced Coffee Original (concentrate found at my grocery in the dairy section)
    2 ripe bananas
    1 frozen banana
    1 tsp of cinnamon
    2 tbs of PB2 peanut butter powder
    1 scoop of PlantFusion Cookies N/ Crème
    6 ice cubes

Blend!