1235»

Replies

• mollyann34
    mollyann34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Kale Tacos

1/2 cup cooked chick peas
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 bundle of kale (stems removed and chopped)
    2 heads of broccoli (chopped), about 4 cups
    3 to 5 green onions
    1 to 2 Tbs Nutritional yeast
    2 to 3 Tbs Coconut aminos or soy sauce
    2 Tbs of coconut oil or olive oil
    2 tsp garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
    Corn tortillas
    Salt to taste, srircha to top or other hot sauce

Use a large skillet with a lid.
    1. Heat up the oil over medium to high heat.
    2. Add broccoli with lid for a few minutes
    3. Add kale and put in the nutritional yeast, coconut amines, garlic powder
    4. Steam the kale and broccoli with the lid on until bright green
    5. Remove the lid and add chickpeas, rice, green onions until all extra liquid is gone
    6. Add salt if desired

Heat up your corn tortillas, add kale taco filling and top with sriracha (which I think pairs the best) or other hot sauce!

***Most are guestimations and what not so you can add or take out whatever you don't want. I've always played around with other veggies with the kale, but my favorite it broccoli

Take out the rice if you want less calories, but I found that with the rice you can still have two corn tortillas and be in a good spot of cals/protein!
  • missabeez
    missabeez Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Funny, I was just talking to my coworker that I had no idea what to do with my kale before it wilts. I will try something like this for supper tomorrow or something, thanks!

Kale Tacos

1/2 cup cooked chick peas
    1 cup cooked brown rice
    1 bundle of kale (stems removed and chopped)
    2 heads of broccoli (chopped), about 4 cups
    3 to 5 green onions
    1 to 2 Tbs Nutritional yeast
    2 to 3 Tbs Coconut aminos or soy sauce
    2 Tbs of coconut oil or olive oil
    2 tsp garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
    Corn tortillas
    Salt to taste, srircha to top or other hot sauce

Use a large skillet with a lid.
    1. Heat up the oil over medium to high heat.
    2. Add broccoli with lid for a few minutes
    3. Add kale and put in the nutritional yeast, coconut amines, garlic powder
    4. Steam the kale and broccoli with the lid on until bright green
    5. Remove the lid and add chickpeas, rice, green onions until all extra liquid is gone
    6. Add salt if desired

Heat up your corn tortillas, add kale taco filling and top with sriracha (which I think pairs the best) or other hot sauce!

***Most are guestimations and what not so you can add or take out whatever you don't want. I've always played around with other veggies with the kale, but my favorite it broccoli

Take out the rice if you want less calories, but I found that with the rice you can still have two corn tortillas and be in a good spot of cals/protein!
  • mollyann34
    mollyann34 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yay I hope you like them, this recipe serves 6 and is about 161 cals per 2 corn tortilla tacos (then add in your corn tortillas and sriracha sauce - or whatever, I just really like the flavors together.) I also added in 2 medium zuchs and it added some more protein, yum!
  • Mary407
    Mary407 Posts: 635 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Speaking of dusting off an old thread!

I've been looking for a good, date-based, dessert ball recipe (OK, I can't even type that without thinking of SNL and Schweddy Balls). Anyway, none of the recipes I saw really seemed as simple as I wanted, so I made up the following last night. Huge family hit:

Start with 0.5 lb whole dates (pits removed)- process in a good sized food processor until chopped up really well (this might have worked in a high power blender too - not sure). Dates are sticky, so you need to pulse a bit and sometimes break up the clump of dates in the bowl.
    Then add 1.25 cups of flaked, unsweetened, dried coconut; 1 cup of sliced almonds; and a generous pinch of sea salt. Process until mixture is in very small crumbs and you can pinch some between your fingers and it sticks together.
    Form the mixture into small balls (a bit smaller than a golf ball). This made 18 for me.
    Place the balls on a small baking sheet or plate, and roll each ball in some finely shredded, unsweetened, dried coconut (I used about 1/4 cup, but didn't really need that much). Put the balls and any remaining coconut in a bag in the fridge.
    Delish! 97 calories per ball.
  • jocelynkyork
    jocelynkyork Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I made a burrito bowl last night and it was awesome and filling. I'm giving you the brands I used so that you can be accurate with the calories.

Mix 3/4 c cooked Carolina Brown Rice in a pan with 1/2 c Goya Black Beans
    Once warm, add 1/4 c Trader Joe's Enchilada Sauce and 2 tsp of fresh lime juice, stir
    Add dash chili powder, 1/8 c fresh chopped cilantro leaves, 1 tbsp Nutritional Yeast, and salt and pepper to taste, stir

Put one cup fresh spinach leaves in a bowl
    Pour Rice and bean mixture on top
    Top with:
    1 oz chopped avocado (about 1/4 avocado)
    2 oz chopped fresh tomatoes (I used Santa Sweets grape tomatoes)
    a pinch of fresh whole cilantro leaves
    1 tbsp Pace medium salsa

FEAST!

Approx: 370 calories

This is a really filling and satisfying meal. I tend to add extra cayenne or hot sauce to make it extra spicy, since most hot sauce adds no calories and makes me eat slower. I'm on a very low-cal diet right now, but if I wasn't, I'd add some corn, extra avocado, extra salsa, and some baked sweet potatoes.

Enjoy!
  • kt9aq
    kt9aq Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    DeniseSLP wrote: »
    Brown Rice Burgers

Ingredients
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    ½ cup parsley, chopped
    1 cup carrot, finely grated
    ½ cup onion,finely chopped
    1 clove garlic, minced
    1 tsp salt
    ¼ tsp ground black pepper
    flax egg
    ½ cup whole wheat flour
    2 tbsp vegetable oil for cooking

Preparation
    1. Combine all ingredients except the oil in a medium mixing bowl. Form mixture into 12 patties, pressing firmly with hands.

2. Add vegetable oil to a skillet and heat over medium heat. Cook patties in oil until brown (4-5 minutes per side), turning only once.

Nutrition Information: Makes 12 burgers
    Per burger: 120 calories, 3.5 g fat, 0 g sat fat, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g protein, 3 g fiber, 150 mg sodium

Dietitian's Tip:
    Make this a DASH meal with a whole wheat bun, thick sliced tomato and sweet onion, lettuce leaf and a smear of Dijon mustard. These burgers are great with grilled or sautéed fresh asparagus spiked with garlic and olive oil. This recipe makes many burgers. Reduce the recipe by half or freeze remaining cooked burgers for a quick meal another day.

I got this from the internet on Dash Diet Eating Plan
    Even my husband loved it and I am embarrassed to admit he is a BIG fan of the Whopper.

http://www.dashdietoregon.org/resources/recipes/brown-rice-burgers

This sounds so like a good replacement for store bought. Definitely gonna make these
  • LC107
    LC107 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Apple Cinnamon & Cashew Cream Oatmeal

1/4 Cup of soaked cashew halves 160
    1/4 Cup of Apple sauce (unsweetened) 25
    2 tbs Vanilla Almond Milk (unsweetened) 5
    Tsp of Agave Nectar 20
    Pinch of salt
    A Dash (or two) of Cinnamon powder 4
    1/2 Cup of dry oatmeal 150

Cream:
    In a blender blend the first 4 ingredients until a cream consistency develops

Oatmeal:
    Prepare your oatmeal as usual and add the dash of cinnamon and pinch of salt

Top with the cream, stir and enjoy!

The cream is for 2 Servings. Calories 107
    With oatmeal calories 257
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 329 Member
    edited April 2019
    Options

mommaof9 wrote: »
    Oat Burgers:
    4c. water
    1/4c bragg's liquid aminos
    1/4c. nutritional yeast
    2T. oil- I use olive oil but you can use what you like
    1T. ground flaxseed
    1T. dried basil
    2tsp. garlic, onion powder
    1/2tsp. liquid smoke
    1tsp. coriander, and sage (i don't have sage and it is fine without)
    1c. finely chopped walnuts
    4c. rolled oats

Boil all ingred. except oats. then add the oats. stir and cover, let cool but stir often as it cools. form into 1/3-1/2c burgers then cook at 350 for 20 mins on each side! freeze leftovers.

this are totally amazing! even my husband (who loves to eat meat and is a hunter) loves these! I eat them with thin buns from the store.

Definitely trying this recipe! Thank you for sharing!
  • methodman78
    methodman78 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Sweet Potato & Walnut Soup

A simple winter soup packed with nutrients and added protein with the walnuts, great for freezing or food prep

Makes 3-6 servings depending on your appetite

1kg Sweet potatoes (approx 2 large)
    Carrots - 200g
    Garlic Cloves - 3
    Chilli (flakes, fresh chopped, sauce or paste)
    Walnuts 30g

Peel the sweet potato and carrots, chop in to 2" cubes / carrot slices, peel the garlic, add all to a pan of water and boil, reduce to simmer until soft
    Add all to a blender and add chilli paste / sauce, a little salt and as much black pepper as you like
    Roughly break up the walnuts and add to the mixture, portion or serve
    easy

Nutrition: (half if servings doubled)
    Calories 450
    Total Fat 8g
    Total Carbs 89,9g
    Protein 8g