Do you Carry/Intend to carry?

Options
13»

Replies

• lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    As far as the gun purse, look into them. Mine's by Coronado Leather (but I've drooled over the Galco ones) and it has a lock on the section where you put the gun that's built into the zipper. There is a holster that you slip into that section that holds the gun. The zipper is very strong and there's no way a toddler could break it if it's locked.

I'm actually looking for another one. Right now this is on my short list:

http://www.thewellarmedwoman.com/apps/store/default.asp?view=profile&itemid=39186
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    i carry but can't at work and i think that should change especially since there is a hostage situation right down the road from me right now in another office building.
  • Bull2707
    Options
    I carry when ever I can with out breaking the law. There are rules I live by that I would rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it and I also rather tried by 12 then carried by 6. Semper Fi
  • swordsmith
    swordsmith Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I have a CC permit but don't carry at the moment. Mainly because I haven't found a holster I like yet. I have one that allows you to carry in the small of the back or appendix style but it just doesn't seem comfortable. I'm wondering if I wouldn't like an ankle holster better. Or if I just need wear the one I have around the house more to get comfortable with it.

get used to wearing it on the waist. Ankle holsters are great for a second, small back up gun but do not put your primary weapon there.

Ankle holsters are one of the slowest methods of drawing. It has the added disadvantage of you bending over thus putting your back to the enemy and taking your eyes off the enemy. And when you bend over like that it is a dead give away what you are doing (shoulder holsters are also a dead give away when drawing). Waist carry- especially for a guy- means you could be reaching for your wallet.

Another tactical advantage of waist carry is you can blade from your attacker and, if needed, use the support hand to fend them off while you draw. Both ankle and shoulder draws are very easy to trap and counter and then its a fight for the gun. And for most hold up men they will definitely be within yoru comfort zone and easily able to pin, grab or otherwise physically attack you. I have not read a report yet where a robber stayed 10 feet plus away from the victim and demanded money while pointing a gun at them- most robbers stay very close to the victim in order to shield their actions and keep you from disengaging.

My preferred method of carrying a backup piece is using a well made pocket holster and putting a 380 of some sort in there.

YMMV and my 2 cents- however a gun anywhere on your body is better then one sitting at home in the safe.
  • x_JT_x
    x_JT_x Posts: 364
    Options
    I have a CC permit but don't carry at the moment. Mainly because I haven't found a holster I like yet. I have one that allows you to carry in the small of the back or appendix style but it just doesn't seem comfortable. I'm wondering if I wouldn't like an ankle holster better. Or if I just need wear the one I have around the house more to get comfortable with it.

My viewpoint on ankle holsters is ... they are great as a backup. I view it as I want it very easily accessible if needed. At the ankle it would take me time to have to bend over and get the gun. I have both OWB and IWB holsters. OWB = Outside Waist Band and IWB = Inside Waist Band.

My IWB is very comfortable and I wear it at the 7 o'clock position (I'm a southpaw). There are several great manufacturers of holsters that make them custom to the gun. Two I know of that are well thought of are American Holster Company and Cleveland Holster. My wife and I have 4 of the American Holsters.
    [/quote]

get used to wearing it on the waist. Ankle holsters are great for a second, small back up gun but do not put your primary weapon there.

Ankle holsters are one of the slowest methods of drawing. It has the added disadvantage of you bending over thus putting your back to the enemy and taking your eyes off the enemy. And when you bend over like that it is a dead give away what you are doing (shoulder holsters are also a dead give away when drawing). Waist carry- especially for a guy- means you could be reaching for your wallet.

Another tactical advantage of waist carry is you can blade from your attacker and, if needed, use the support hand to fend them off while you draw. Both ankle and shoulder draws are very easy to trap and counter and then its a fight for the gun. And for most hold up men they will definitely be within yoru comfort zone and easily able to pin, grab or otherwise physically attack you. I have not read a report yet where a robber stayed 10 feet plus away from the victim and demanded money while pointing a gun at them- most robbers stay very close to the victim in order to shield their actions and keep you from disengaging.

My preferred method of carrying a backup piece is using a well made pocket holster and putting a 380 of some sort in there.

YMMV and my 2 cents- however a gun anywhere on your body is better then one sitting at home in the safe.

Good info that makes a lot of sense. Thanks guys. I'll work with the waist holster. The smart-carry sounds interesting though too.
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    NH is an open carry state, but we (Hubby and I) also have our concealed carry permit. We both have LCP .380's for our daily carry. But Hubby likes to mix it up with our Glock 19 and his six shooter cowboy gun. Open carry makes options easier, and the LCP fits easily in the pocket.
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    SW40VE, Galco IWB holster or Bersa .380 Thunder IWB neoprene holster (damn comfy)
    I carry most of the time.
  • m_shuman
    Options
    I carry when I go into the city alone and with my DH who also carries. I carry a Smith and Wesson airweight .38 revolver. I currently have my eye on a Springfield .45 XDS Auto which is much thinner than the revolver and will imprint less on my small frame. DH carries a .40 Smith and wesson M&P. He carries everyplace he goes. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6!
  • LiftBigtoGetFit
    LiftBigtoGetFit Posts: 3,399 Member
    Options
    no I don't, and probably not... Barring a zombie apocalypse or something of that nature... I do fully support the right to carry though :drinker:
  • glonigan
    Options
    Living in Arizona is a great for being a gun owner. The state recently passed the "constitutional carry" rights, which allows all people able to own a hand gun the right to carry concealed. I currently maintain my CCW and do carry concealed when I am not at work (private business laws infringe on rights here). The other option is open carry which is becoming more popular as well. I carry a glock 19 with an itw holster and also a serpa holster for open carry.
  • sirthickness
    Options
    All day, every day, no matter where I go, without exception.; even when I mow my lawn. I am a Sheriff's Deputy and my patrol car is parked in my driveway, so if someone has an axe to grind with law enforcement, they don't have to look very hard. Even though we live in a low-crime area and in a nice neighborhood, there are goons everywhere and you just never know who will come knocking these days. Some might say I am paranoid, I say I am prepared.

On duty, I have the department issued Glock 22 with 3 spare mags, two knives (one folding, one fixed) and my Ruger LCR 38+p with one reload to go along with all the other LE tools.

Off duty, I usually carry my Ruger LCR .38 with one reload and a folding knife (flashlight if I'm out at night). Depending on where I'm going and what I'm wearing, I might also carry my Glock 27, Ruger LCP or my Sig Sauer P230, all with a reload.

I carry for any number reasons, most importantly for my and my families protection. Being a cop and living fairly close to where I patrol, it is not uncommon to run into people I have arrested. While I tend to treat those I arrest with a level of respect, there are those who still find fault in what I have done to them and may want to exact revenge. Well, not against my family!

Also, I want to be able to protect myself and my family from anyone who wishes to do us harm. I am not looking to get into a gun battle, rather, I want to make a safe escape if possible. The handguns I carry off duty are not long range shooters. They are more like, "oh ****, we gotta go"; up close and personal. This I know, and have trained enough with them that I am aware of their strengths (easy to conceal, yet powerful enough to stop the threat) and weaknesses (not particularly good for long shots (no longer than 10 yards) and limited to too few rounds to get into a sustained gun fight.

If I wasn't a cop, would I carry? You bet I would! I have also trained my wife and kids how to shoot and the reasons to consider shooting. Gun safety and training are a condition of living in my home, as it should be in any home where there are guns.

Anyway, those are my thoughts and reasons for carrying, for what it's worth. Good day.
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I carry a Ruger LCP.
    Mostly cause it prints the least.
    I have a DeSantis holster, which usually stays in my pocket.
    Supposed to be grippy and stay inside the waist band but it falls :(
    Found a really cool Fobus holster but won't fit with the laser.

I would LOVE to carry a 1911, but it's too big to conceal.
  • buffcleb
    buffcleb Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I carry a ruger lcp or my Glock 26... depends on where I am going and what I am wearing... planning on getting a glock 30 or 21 next... pretty sure I could still conceal the 30.... not so sure about the 21...
  • AnaNotBanana
    AnaNotBanana Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    I have my CCW permit and carry every single day. There are a few places that I cannot legally carry (university property, Indian reservation land, etc.) and I have a gun safe in the truck of my car where I leave my weapon.

The BEST holster hands down that I have found to carry in is the Crossbreed Super Tuck IWB holster. I think women definitely face some challenges in properly concealing a weapon. Guys usually have the advantage of baggier clothing. For any women considering carrying check out this YouTube video from Falia Photography. She does a quick review of all the options for women to carry/conceal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGBPVk5GQk