My least favorite comment

Options

Replies

• EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always used to get 'Gosh, you're big!' even from a VERY small age, the nurses at the baby clinic who weighed me called me 'Heavy Evi'
    My mum would take offence to people who told me i was big and reply 'Gosh, you're insensitive!' It never really bothered me but she thought it was rude as she would never comment on someones height/weight/facial hair or whatever!
  • EvelynForsyth
    EvelynForsyth Posts: 272 Member
    Options

Oh another thing I hate is that people always assume that becuase I'm tall and have been somewhat slim my entire life, they think I weigh about 120 pounds and when they find out what I actually weigh....they are shocked!! "No way you weigh that much!!!" and I just think...thanks..now I feel great! :smile:

i HATE telling people how much i weight or my clothes size, i do not consider myselft fat, i think i am in proportion (i.e. i have weight i could lose but i have no particular large part) but despite me clearly being 5"11 therefore larger than other people they are still shocked i weigh 175lbs and don't look much bigger. My mum is always shocked at how much i weight too. Duh!
  • TraceyR68
    TraceyR68 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    There are lots of comments I haven't appreciated through the years. When I was a kid it was "wow, what a big girl you are!" That is so not a compliment ... it always made me feel fat! As an adult, I also don't enjoy being called an amazon, but people always say "it's a compliment" ... really?? But the worst ever was one New Years Eve, I was all dressed up, in my big heals and my friend's husband called me a Sasquatch!! I was not impressed :laugh:
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    But the worst ever was one New Years Eve, I was all dressed up, in my big heals and my friend's husband called me a Sasquatch!! I was not impressed :laugh:

i don't wear purple anymore because someone once sang the "Barney Song" to me!
  • htalexander
    Options
    I'm new to the group..right about 5"11 and heard most all of these types of comments, leading me to totally resent my height until I had a wonderful opportunity to do some modeling as a teen. I understand modeling is often thought of negatively, but at that time it was a blessing for me because he helped me gained so much confidence, and for the first time I felt lucky to be a tall woman. I have long since given up modeling to persue other things and even tho the only modeling I could do these day would be in the plus size area, I still carried the confidence it gave me.. even enough to smile and laugh when my friends older brothers gave me that name "StorkWoman" in HS..which they still call me when i see them! haha
  • htalexander
    Options
    *it helped..srry for the typos
  • xoFlo
    xoFlo Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My favorite: "You are so lucky you are tall, you get to eat so much more!"
    Ha! they don't realize that my appetite matches my height, so I feel every bit as challenged as they do when dieting.
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    You look good...in your clothes! Um....Thanks Mom.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I was often called "The Viking." -- I am primarily Dutch and I am 6'0 tall (My father is 6'6, and I have cousins who are 6'8 and 6'10), so I guess those throwing around that comment didn't really understand that most Vikings come from Norway! :frown:

At first I let "The Viking" comment bother me and then I reappropriated the title by dressing as a Viking one year for Halloween. Problem solved. The term was never thrown as an insult again.

As for those who don't like the term Amazon; I agree. However, on here I've read the term "Glamazon" and definitely like that (Thanks to those who thought of it. Made it up.). Perhaps next time you get called an Amazon respond, "You know, I prefer the term Glamazon." Problem solved. :smile:
  • Elmorlan
    Elmorlan Posts: 37
    Options
    Amazon was probably the worst for me growing up. But a couple years ago (even at a very heavy weight) someone called me an Amazon Goddess!
    That totally changed all perspective for me. I can now relate to it as someone strong and beautiful!
  • nw288
    nw288 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    "Are you a basketball player???" (no, are you a leprechaun?)

"Wow you're SOOOO TALL" (profusely thank them for informing me of this affliction, I seriously had NO idea!)
  • cbbarge
    cbbarge Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    At my 30 year HS reunion someone said "Oh yeah, I remember you, you were the really tall girl." And I'm still tall and you apparently are still an idiot!
  • srob636
    srob636 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I heard all the stupid comments too but the one that bugged me most we the: Do you play basketball or volleyball? When I would say neither they would shake their head and say such a waste of height......

Ugh! Tall does not necessarily equate to athletic prowess!

Now my daughter is 4 but I have to buy her size 7's because of her height and people are already telling me she'll be great at basketball and volleyball someday. I laugh because she can barely walk across the room without tripping she's so clumsy. Hopefully having a tall mom will help her navigate the stupid comments of the world!
  • Katmckee89
    Options
    "Wow, youre tall!"

Its all I can do to not gasp in shock and go REEEEEALLY?!

Others are...you must be 6' tall!!! and You must play basketball right?!!!!
    I do dream of responding, no...but if youre into sports, you must be a jockey right?!!!!

The worst was at a movie party my ex took me to and we saw Avatar.. During the scene where the Avatar lady is cradling the soldier when he was all passed out, one of his friends blurted out to my ex, Omg, that looks like you and Dragn Har Har Har! I was so not amused...

I get the same thing when me and my BF. He's maybe 5'10 though he swears he is 6'0 and I'm as tall if not taller then him and I weigh SO much more.. It's hard to feel feminine and pretty when you feel like you could manhandle and or crush your man..
  • beccyleigh
    beccyleigh Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    I was talking with some guys at work the other week & saying about losing a bit more weight & exercising more, one of them said, don't over do it, you're prefect as you are. not a bad comment but just wanted to share that not everyone worships a the alter of body perfection.

Something I must remember when being too critical of myself.

My husband has asked me to not lose too much as he thinks it will make me look haggard & my skin wont be "bouncy". his words!!! not sure if that was a good comment or bad, he didn't say it maliciously but sometimes he just doesn't have a clue. It is something to think about though, especially if you are over 35, your skin wont be as elastic as the younger girls & I would rather be a bit heavier but still have plump skin that rail think & look saggy & haggard.
  • VanillaBone
    VanillaBone Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I love all the comments on this post!
    My husband (5.5) took my little sister and I out clubbing (we're both head & shoulders over him), and we went outside for a bit. After we were gone, some guy came up to DH and asked him where he 'got us'! He told the guy "Hey, that's my wife and her baby sister!" and the guy didn't apologize or anything, he just said "Much respect, much respect!" :D

I love being taller. It makes people think DH must be rich.
  • divainsneakers
    divainsneakers Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have a coworker who is about 5'2". She always talks about how boys like girls like her because she is tiny. Short, yes. Tiny, No. She says it must be hard to find guys because all the tall guys want little girls like her. And most recently when I found something missing at work, she said, "Of course, she did! She's huge!"

Being called huge is the worst! I am tall and athletic, but not huge. She wouldn't look so heavy if the inches she gained were in height, so I will just give her the benefit of the doubt and call her jealous.

I have to say that I agree with the "huge" comment. I find that insensitive and hurtful.
  • RaeCan
    RaeCan Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    "Wow, youre tall!"

Its all I can do to not gasp in shock and go REEEEEALLY?!

Others are...you must be 6' tall!!! and You must play basketball right?!!!!
    I do dream of responding, no...but if youre into sports, you must be a jockey right?!!!!

The worst was at a movie party my ex took me to and we saw Avatar.. During the scene where the Avatar lady is cradling the soldier when he was all passed out, one of his friends blurted out to my ex, Omg, that looks like you and Dragn Har Har Har! I was so not amused...

I get the same thing when me and my BF. He's maybe 5'10 though he swears he is 6'0 and I'm as tall if not taller then him and I weigh SO much more.. It's hard to feel feminine and pretty when you feel like you could manhandle and or crush your man..

Oh I completely understand! I'm 5'9 and my boyfriend is only 5'5. He also happens to be about 100 pounds smaller than me so we do receive comments every now and then. Personally, I don't care at all, but I've had a few people tell me that we looked awkward together :l it's extremely frustrating.
  • Lauraaaa88
    Options
    One of my patients thinks it hysterically funny to ask me what the weather is like ''up there'' as I'm so tall (5ft 9in) lol.
  • amandammmq
    amandammmq Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    This thread catches me on a bad day, evidently, because reading all of the comments is P!SSing me off!!! I used to be SUPER skinny (my metabolism hadn't caught up with my height yet), and people always felt free to call me "disgusting" to my face, on top of all of the comments about my height.

It doesn't help that I work at a middle school... I get told that I'm tall on a very regular basis! I tell them they are very observant. Sadly, a lot of times, I then get asked, "what does observant mean?" Sigh...