Ravenclaw Common Room

Options

Replies

• psb13
    psb13 Posts: 629
    Options
    good morning Ravenclaw. i've been a really bad housemate lately :ohwell: , sorry. life is seriously beating me up right now. this is the first really difficult time i've had since starting mfp 6 months ago. my personal life is currently very stressful and it's really hard to stay focused on my goals. these are the kind of things that i stress eat over. although i haven't done too badly with eating (going over some but not much) i haven't been able to motivate myself to workout. my metabolism is such that no matter what i do or don't eat, i don't lose weight without exercise. also struggling with my body having become accustomed to my workout routine adn not burning calories like i used to. time for some big changes i think. today is a day off for me (federal holiday) so i'm really gonna try to get some exercise in and get back on track over this long weekend. sorry to be so long winded today but i've missed "chatting" with you all!!
    thanks to sue and sundancer for their kind words of encouragement.

PS: really miss my signature!!

PPS: DH2 comes out on DVD today!!!!!
  • psb13
    Options
    media_httpd30opm7hsgi_iaDagjpgscaled500.jpg

finally got the picture to show up. got this from my daughter today and just had to share it!!
    sue, maybe we should use this as an exercise challenge sometime!!
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    Hello fellow Ravenclaws! Checking in to say it's been a crazy week. I'll probably weigh in this afternoon which is a day earlier than usual for me but.....I have big plans this weekend! I will have steak dinner and champagne tonight....it's me and my boyfriend's 2 year anniversary. Keep your fingers crossed for me Ravenclaws...I think it might be the night he asks me THE QUESTION!!!!
  • nieme
    nieme Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I've been a bad Ravenclaw lately about showing up to the common room. I feel like there are not enough hours in the day. The great news is that I haven't gained at all. I need to work harder on getting some exercise time in.

I think my goals for next week will be:

Exercise: No elevator use and exercise for 20 minutes each day.
    Food: No eating out. Have veggies.
  • azsuzi
    azsuzi Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    media_httpd30opm7hsgi_iaDagjpgscaled500.jpg
    Love this! But sheesh - you wouldn't get to watch the movie with all the crunches and jumping jacks you'd be doing!! :laugh:
  • azsuzi
    Options
    I wanted to share a picture of my cat. Max is my 20+ pound baby!

MaxandSue11.11.11.jpg
  • kburns0709
    kburns0709 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    psb13 that looks AWESOME!!!!!
  • korkster
    korkster Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Sue, your cat is half your size! That'd be quite a workout picking him up and setting him down. LOL.

psb13- love the Harry Potter workout! I might implement something similar for my own exercise goals. :)
  • momofJandA
    momofJandA Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Today's Stats
    Food (no junk): +1
    Exercise (ab contractions): +1
    Spirit: +1
    House Points: 86

Weekly Stats:
    OWLS- 18 House Points- 356
    weight: 127lbs

My challenges for the upcoming week:
    Exercise: 60 minutes a day
    Food: No snacking or eating between 3pm and 5pm (this is my downfall- when I get home from work I get snacky)
  • psb13
    Options
    settled in for the evening with my knitting, a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and DH2!! :bigsmile:
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Just got back from a day of shopping - with a copy of DH2!! We're starting the series from the beginning and will enjoy a Potter weekend!!
  • kellyisloved
    kellyisloved Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Definitely love the HP movie exercise ideas, lol. I might have to try that, but wow, I wouldn't be breathing by the end of it. :noway:

And Sue, your cat weights about 7 pounds more than my dog. But at least you'd be able to take your pet to Hogwarts!
  • psb13
    Options
    And Sue, your cat weights about 7 pounds more than my dog. But at least you'd be able to take your pet to Hogwarts!

Sue (aka miss baggy clothes!!), my dog (fully grown) weighs about 10lbs!! i think you need to take him walking like Gwen does with hers!!

had a lovely evening watching DH2. i didn't do "THE" workout, but i did do my workout while watching a mini marathon of the earlier movies that was on tv last night.

welcome to kburks and blackhawkgirl!!

as you know i've been off track the past week or so. i'm feeling better about things today, got a workout in last night-not stellar but not lame either. been thinking about my goals for the upcoming week after tomorrow's weigh in. i think i'm going to make my exercise goal to absolutely workout a minimum of 30 minutes each day. i had been doing that routinely in the beginning but not recently. maybe if i make that my goal i will get myself back to the discipline i had before (with some changes to what the workout actually entails as i think my body had become too accustomed to the routine). after looking at my food diary for the week, i think i better make my food goal to stay under my sodium maximum this week!!

sorry to be so long winded....i've missed being part of the group this week!!! :flowerforyou:

happy saturday to all :bigsmile:
  • korkster
    Options
    This weeks stats:

Exercise- 83
    OWL no junk food- 6
    OWL spirit- 8
    OWL abs for 30s 5x a day- 7

CW= 333.2

I think this weeks OWLS will be no eating after 9pmwork for food and rump clutches 30 reps 3x a day for exercise.
  • korkster
    Options
    Repeat post.
  • azsuzi
    Options
    Sue (aka miss baggy clothes!!), my dog (fully grown) weighs about 10lbs!! i think you need to take him walking like Gwen does with hers!!
    Yeah - that shirt is one of the only remnants of my per-weight-loss wardrobe. Its so comfy I don't want to get rid of it (and it was big to begin with)!!

It seems I'm in a slump too. Even though AZ is not as cold as the rest of the country, we did have a few nights last week that dropped into the 40's and the highs were only in the low 60's! After living out here for 5 years, my body thinks that's cold. :laugh: Once colder weather hits, I always slow down and eat more. I lose my appetite for fruits and veggies and want CARBs!! Bread, cake, donuts, cookies, candy - you get the picture. And the shorter days just make me lazy. It's dark when I get home from work and all I want to do is settle in for the night - not work out!! So I started wondering if winter weight gain is normal - ie: did the cave men do it? - and did a quick google search. The answer is "yes"!

(from http://www.streetdirectory.com) ...it seems likely that we have a natural genetic inclination to store more fat as winter approaches. Many animals do this and it was probably vital to survival for our ancestors. Extra layers of adipose tissue on the body protect us against the cold. It is then used as fuel in the late winter and early spring when food stocks would historically be very low due to the now melting frost. Equally important we probably have a tendency to eat more in the fall, when food is plentiful after harvest time, to help this process along. And we may also unconsciously tend to choose fatty foods at this time.

The problem is, with ample year-round food supplies, we no longer have to use our stored "fuel" at the end of the cold season. To top it off, shorter days reduce the brain's production of serotonin, the mood-boosting brain chemical that helps suppress food cravings and overeating. So what can we do to stop the winter weight gain? I found a list of 9 tips that you might find helpful. I'm definitely going to give them a try! http://www.thatsfit.com/2009/12/03/winter-weight-gain/

So, with all of that said, here is my weigh in for week 2:
    weight: 154 (up 2.5 pounds :sad: )
    food: 1
    exercise: 2
    spirit: 7
    OWLs: 10
    house points: 250 (I feel a little guilty about including my 240 minutes of shopping, but hey - at least I was moving :laugh: )

My challenges for next week will be:
    exercise - at least 30 minutes of some type of exercise each day
    food - bypass my after-lunch candy craving with a healthy alternative (means I have to plan for it and pack a healthy snack!)

Have a great day Ravenclaw!
  • psb13
    Options
    Once colder weather hits, I always slow down and eat more. I lose my appetite for fruits and veggies and want CARBs!! Bread, cake, donuts, cookies, candy - you get the picture. And the shorter days just make me lazy. It's dark when I get home from work and all I want to do is settle in for the night - not work out!! So I started wondering if winter weight gain is normal - ie: did the cave men do it? - and did a quick google search. The answer is "yes"!

(from http://www.streetdirectory.com) ...it seems likely that we have a natural genetic inclination to store more fat as winter approaches. Many animals do this and it was probably vital to survival for our ancestors. Extra layers of adipose tissue on the body protect us against the cold. It is then used as fuel in the late winter and early spring when food stocks would historically be very low due to the now melting frost. Equally important we probably have a tendency to eat more in the fall, when food is plentiful after harvest time, to help this process along. And we may also unconsciously tend to choose fatty foods at this time.

sue, i actually hadn't thought of my recent slump as seasonal since there are some personal things going on, but i think you might be right. at least part of my problem has probably been related to season change, dark when i leave in the morning and dark again when i come home. i spent 8 years in Alaska and had trouble with it then. of course, i was cross country skiing then and not as overweight as i had become the past several years. i am normally a carb addict, but it's even worse now. the info you provided sounds a lot like bears in hibernation!! thanks, it puts a new spin on things for me. no wonder you are the best Head of House ever...you are so very wise!!! :flowerforyou:
  • cherubcrnp
    cherubcrnp Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    no change in weight this week....still 215 but let me think about my OWLS.....I can't find the thread that gives the list for how to gain points. Could anyone share it?

Pam
  • Scarlettdawn764
    Scarlettdawn764 Posts: 856 Member
    Options
    I am now officially engaged and have a super good reason to stay slim!
  • nieme
    nieme Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The seasonal slump does make sense! It has been cold here in New England!

My weekly weigh-in:

Pounds: 145 (down 1!)
    House Points: 30 (I know, awful!)
    Exercise Owls: 5
    Food Owls: 3
    Spirit Owls: 4