Gryffindor Common Room

Replies

• veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    CW: 176
    Newts: 35
    HP: 90
    Spew: 1

Down half a pound! Yes, I am thrilled. Such a looooong plateau broken. After losing three pounds last week I'm happy to have lost a half pound this week. I hope the same happens next week, or more! Good luck this week, Gryffs!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    I am so back in the swing of things with the woodchops this week. I set my goal at 100/day. Hopefully I will be back to where i used to be, earning newts and owls. Good luck Lions!!

Wow! Big goal. Hope it's going well for you!

Yeah, well... I got a late start because I didn't check the challenge. The first day I got in 80. Then I was so sore I took the next day off. Today I got in my 100. I will have to see what tomorrow brings.
  • Honeybee511
    Honeybee511 Posts: 97 Member
    Good morning! I didn't do so well this week. :grumble: I gained a pound. I did well with my exercise, but I just love sweets! I also had a busy week with school. We had our second nurse theory exam and I also started my clinical roatetion. It had been a crazy week. But this week I have SPRING BREAK! yay! So hopefully I qwill be able to find and try some good recipes! Hope everyone else had a good week!
  • MindyBlack
    MindyBlack Posts: 954 Member
    Good morning! I didn't do so well this week. :grumble: I gained a pound. I did well with my exercise, but I just love sweets! I also had a busy week with school. We had our second nurse theory exam and I also started my clinical roatetion. It had been a crazy week. But this week I have SPRING BREAK! yay! So hopefully I qwill be able to find and try some good recipes! Hope everyone else had a good week!
    You were updating the spreadsheet the same time I was. I could see your numbers go in. That was weird.
    I had a gain too. It will be temporar though for both of us.Enjoy your spring break.:flowerforyou:
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Yaay, 117.9, just over a pound under my target weight, it looks like it was all that sodium that was partly responsible for messing my weights up.

HUGE sigh of relief!
  • veganbaum
    Yaay, 117.9, just over a pound under my target weight, it looks like it was all that sodium that was partly responsible for messing my weights up.

HUGE sigh of relief!

Awesome! It really is amazing how much sodium can affect weight.
  • veganbaum
    New recipe I tried this week: Chickpea Tacos!

From the book The Happy Herbivore

1 tbsp soy sauce
    1-2 tbsp lemon or lime juice
    1 tbsp chilli powder
    1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp fine sea salt (I would suggest reducing this, it was a little too salty for my taste and I added about 3/4tsp)
    1tsp pepper
    1/2 tsp paprika
    1/4 tsp garlic powder
    1/4 tsp onion powder
    1/8 tsp cayenne powder
    1/4 tsp dried marjoram or oregano
    1 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (garbanzos)
    blue corn taco shells
    arugula or lettuce
    1 tomato, diced

Preheat oven to 400F. Mix all spices and liquid, add chickpeas. Place in single layer on a lined cookie sheet (foil or parchment paper). The directions say to spray with cooking spray, I didn't do that. Then cook 20-40 minutes.

Now, I strongly suggest removing them at 20 minutes, maybe try 25 if you want them crispier. But 40 minutes at 400 and you're likely to end up with charred beans, I don't know why that's even an option in the recipe. Her recipe calls for blue corn tortillas, which I like, but I had yellow sprouted corn tortillas on hand so that's what I used. Also used spinach, since I had that on hand. They were super delicious and really simple to make.

If you want to make it easier, you can just use taco seasoning with tamari and lemon or lime juice instead of mixing your own (http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/chickpea-tacos/).

For two tacos I used half the can of garbanzos and the total calories = 348, without the tomatoes and spinach.

IMG_0318-1.jpg
  • veganbaum
    Another new recipe I tried from Happy Herbivore: Hawaiian Teriyaki Chickpeas

http://happyherbivore.com/recipe/spicy-teriyaki-chickpeas/

Ingredients:

15 ounces chickpeas, drained and rinsed
    ¼ cup teriyaki sauce
    1 tbsp szechuan sauce
    1 tbsp raw sugar (optional)
    2 cups cooked brown rice
    1 cup salsa

Instructions:

Combine chickpeas, teriyaki, szechuan and sugar in a large frying pan. Allow everything to sit and 'marinate' at least 5 minutes (the longer the better). Turn heat to medium and cook, stirring regulary or until most of the liquid has absorbed, about 10 minutes. Spoon chickpeas over rice and top with fresh pineapple or mango salsa.

The recipe in the cookbook is slightly different than this one. Instead of szechuan you can use any hot sauce. I used tobasco and about 3/4 tbsp. I like things spicy, but 1 tbsp would have been too much; 3/4 was just right with the rest of the dish helping with the heat. Also, the cookbook says if you want a lighter dish to use steamed greens. So in the one I made there's 1/2 cup brown rice at the bottom of the bowl, then some steamed kale and steamed snap peas. We (my roommate and I) used premade mango salsa from Whole Foods (not the jarred stuff, but the prepared foods stuff). While it's really easy to make your own mango salsa, it was cheaper for us to buy a small container than a mango, pineapple, red onion, cilantro, lime and jalepeno. We used about 1 1/2 tbsp each. This was soooo amazingly good and really, really simple to make, especially if you already have cooked rice.

IMG_0319-1.jpg
  • TourThePast
    New recipe I tried this week: Chickpea Tacos!

From the book The Happy Herbivore
    That looks amazing, and such a healthy meal. Inexpensive too...

It would be great if I didn't find the taste and texture of chickpeas, and lentils and basically legumes in general, utterly repulsive!

Having to eating daal regularly in India (ugh!) didn't help me get used to lentils, but not being a quitter, recently I've been forcing myself to eat edamame beans in a few meals, in the hope that if I eat them often enough I'll grow to like them. Fingers crossed! :bigsmile:
  • TourThePast
    Here's my new favourite vegetarian recipes, it's originally from the "New Covent Garden Soup Company" cookbook, and a friend cooked it for a dinner party last week.

I didn't follow it exactly, I only used a tiny amount of olive oil to cook the onion and it really doesn't need the cream, but I did add a huge dollop of very strong cream of horseradish sauce, which does contain oil, simply because I don't have any horseradish growing in my garden. Must plant some. :)

Broccoli Soup with Lime & Horseradish

Serves: 4
    Preparation and cooking time: 1 hour
    15g (1/2oz) butter
    1 small onion, chopped
    110g (4oz) potato, peeled and cubed
    270g (10oz) broccoli, chopped
    850ml (1.5 pints) vegetable or chicken stock
    1 lime, zest plus juice
    2 tablespoons parsley and chives, chopped
    2 teaspoons fresh horseradish
    2 tablespoons double cream
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    To Garnish: Chopped herbs & Croutons

Melt the butter and cook the onion and potato gently for 5 minutes.
    Add the stock and the zest and juice of lime.
    Cover, bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 20-30 minutes until the vegetables are tender. Meanwhile cook the broccoli in boiling water for 10 minutes, or until tender but still green.
    Cool the potato mixture a little then puree in a liquidiser and pass through a sieve.
    Return to the liquidiser and add the cooked broccoli.
    Liquidise briefly so that you can still see bits of broccoli.
    Return to the pan and add herbs, cream, enough horseradish and seasoning to taste.
    Garnish with chopped herbs and croutons.

Here's a cut and paste of the nutritional value per portion (apologies for the lack of formatting) this is the amount for two large bowls! The sodium is high, but that's because I was using up part of a high sodium Knorr chicken stock pot, I'm not buying them again, I'm going back to using good old OXOs. :)
    Great as a warming snack, but bugger all protein so no real potential as main meal. At the dinner party it was served with freshly baked cheese and chilli muffins, which were LOADED with cheese - they were delicious but I forbade him to share the recipe with me, it's one that I definitely shouldn't have! :bigsmile:

Calories Carbs Fat Protein Fiber Sodium
    Garlic - Raw, 2 g 3 1 0 0 0 0
    Oil - Olive, 0.3 tsp 10 0 1 0 0 0
    Tesco - Organic Brown Onions, 84 g 32 7 0 1 0 0
    Knorr - Chicken Stock Pot As Sold, 0.1 pot/ 28g 3 0 0 0 0 298
    Tesco - King Edwards Potatoes, 72 g 57 12 0 2 0 0
    Oxo - Chicken Stock Cube, 0.3 cube 4 1 0 0 0 210
    Tesco - Broccoli, 196 g 65 4 2 9 5 0
    Morrisons - Hot Horseradish Sauce, 16 g 16 2 1 0 0 1,067
    Lime Juice - Fresh Juice of 1 Lime, 11 grams 3 1 0 0 0 0
    Total: 193 28 4 12 5 1575
  • veganbaum
    Hey Gryffs! Where is everyone? Hope your weeks are going well!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    Sorry this is so late, guys! February results:

Veganbaum is the Quidditch Captain for losing the most weight in the month!

I've been terrible about naming Prefects and staying on top of things, so I'm going to play catch up. Forgive me that you guys didn't get to brag in the moment, but your hard work did not go unnoticed!

(I'm also going to start naming the Prefects JUST from the OWLs/NEWTs/SPEW column, so the highest and second highest numbers. I think it's more fair since at the end of the month we name a quidditch captain for weight loss, too)

Feb Week 1 Prefects: Jls1661 and TourThePast

Feb Week 2 Prefects: Amandapratt and Jls1661

Feb Week 3 Prefects: Kelsue35 and Jls1661

Feb Week 4 Prefects: Kelsue35 and Missb92

Great job ladies! I'm so proud of all of you!

Remember to check out the badges in this blog if you'd like to brag: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/hogwarts-inter-house-challenge-143613
  • TourThePast
    Awesome, well done Captain Veganbaum! :bigsmile:
  • veganbaum
    CW: 174.5
    Newts: 15
    Spew:2
    HP: 90
  • veganbaum

I feel so special. Your soup looks really good, especially with the horseradish. I don't think I've ever actually had fresh horseradish, but I used to love horseradish sauce.
  • TourThePast

I feel so special. Your soup looks really good, especially with the horseradish. I don't think I've ever actually had fresh horseradish, but I used to love horseradish sauce.
    You ARE special!

Be careful, fresh horseradish can be very strong indeed if you use too much. Think wasabi... :bigsmile:
  • Nekoashi
    Nekoashi Posts: 220 Member
    Sorry this is so late, guys! February results:

I've been terrible about naming Prefects and staying on top of things, so I'm going to play catch up. Forgive me that you guys didn't get to brag in the moment, but your hard work did not go unnoticed!

(I'm also going to start naming the Prefects JUST from the OWLs/NEWTs/SPEW column, so the highest and second highest numbers. I think it's more fair since at the end of the month we name a quidditch captain for weight loss, too)

Feb Week 1 Prefects: Jls1661 and TourThePast

Feb Week 2 Prefects: Amandapratt and Jls1661

Feb Week 3 Prefects: Kelsue35 and Jls1661

Feb Week 4 Prefects: Kelsue35 and Missb92

Great job ladies! I'm so proud of all of you!

Remember to check out the badges in this blog if you'd like to brag: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/hogwarts-inter-house-challenge-143613

Congrats to all of you!!! :D
  • missb92
    missb92 Posts: 200 Member
    Very honoured to wear the prefect badge :blushing:
  • veganbaum

You ARE special!

Be careful, fresh horseradish can be very strong indeed if you use too much. Think wasabi... :bigsmile:

I love wasabi, bit yeah, when you get just a little too much, oh! And congrats to you for prefect! And to all the months prefects! Go Gryffindor!
  • nerdyandilikeit
    nerdyandilikeit Posts: 2,185 Member
    I'm late on this, too, but here's a reminder of this week's challenges:

MARCH WEEK 3:
    (Starting after check-in between 3/9-3/12
    and ending with check-in between 3/16-3/19)

OWL (exercise): Leg Drop! http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/health/fitness/fitness-plan-two-weeks-oct06#slide-4
    Each day you reach your daily goal you earn 5 OWLs, you earn 3 OWLs for reaching half way to your goal, and 1 OWL for trying but not reaching half way.

NEWT (food): Veggie servings! Try to have 3 servings of vegetables per day. You can decide what a serving is for you, but try to have vegetables 3 different times during the day.
    5 NEWTs for every day you have at least 3 servings of vegetables. 35 NEWTs possible for the week.

SPEW: Earn 1 point every time you post something encouraging or motivating or how your day is going in the Common Room (ANYTHING BUT A CHECK-IN POST COUNTS TOWARD YOUR SPEWs).
    Up to 5 points possible per day, 35 points possible for the week.

***Remember to double check the dates for this challenge! Don't start early and lessen your progress for the current week!

Also posted in the blog, here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/bronwenhilary/view/march-gryffindor-owls-newts-215946