2 week challenge

Options

Replies

• Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,959 Member
    Options
    shanaber - I hear you about "disappointing" results....when I had my DXA scan on october 31, 2013, I predicted <25% bodyfat (hoping to hit about 22%). I was 32.8% bodyfat. I cried all day. I cried all night. And then I became DETERMINED to CHANGE that stat by October 31, 2014.

THIS is why I am ON A MISSION. THIS.

Oh, and despite EVERYBODY, online - in real life - wherever, saying, "nahhhh, you CAN'T be 32% bodyfat - you are SO LEAN"....in fact, i could.

I am. Likely more, now, since I have put on bodyweight that HAS to be fat (it sure as h*ll isn't muscle).

Sooooooooooo, I have VERY low lean body mass. Like, 92 lbs worth - when the predicted for someone my height (I am 5'9") is well over 105 lbs. So, no matter what, genetically speaking, i will ALWAYS have a higher bodyfat % than women who have HIGH lean body mass. Period.

So, I might LOOK lean....like another 5'9" lean woman....but I might register 32% bodyfat while she registers 20%. And we might LOOK very similar!!

KOO KOO BUT TRUE.

Yes, I am STILL on a MISSION....but, I highly doubt I will get under 25% bodyfat for my October 31, 2014 DXA, either. At this point, I'm aiming for <28%.

And then, come 2015, I'll try and push into the <25% range. I do not think I have what it takes to get <20%. I just don't.
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    ....oh, and to "see" what my 32.8% bodyfat looks like, you can just go into my profile here at mfp and see the photos. Those "afters" are my 32.8%.

Can you IMAGINE my "befores"?!?!?!? I must have been like 45% bodyfat, even though I was never "overweight" according to my BMI and I always thought I was "skinny fat" - as in, I have always looked "skinny" in my clothes....barenaked I can see the lumps and bumps, but heck, in clothes, NOBODY in my WHOLE LIFE has ever suggested I looked "overweight". Ever.
  • Better_Balance_2011
    Better_Balance_2011 Posts: 3,711 Member
    Options
    I had my BF taken by one of those handheld things that allegedgly sends electric pulses through your body as form of measurement at a medical fair at my office. It said I was 28.2% body fat. I was a liitle at my high end of my weight so I was actually pleased. Although, when I look at "sample" photos of BF %s, I'd like to look somewhere around 25%. But hell, I'm never going to pay the money to have a "reliable" reading. That 28.2% was surely not accurate. Parts of me are rather lean, but I have a reasonable amount of fat for sure. I'll just rely on my weight and more importantly measurements and photos because I'm cheap. :smile:

This week is not my friend. I had to skip my class yesterday because my husband's car went kaput and I had to get my daughter from day care. We did walk to dinner....where I had 1/2 a burger and some fries. I brought my bag all motivated to work out at lunch. But I ended up working through half of it. Oh well, there's always next week......
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Rain...Rain...Here it comes!

Ladies: Love all the talk about BF %. I only have access to a bodpod and last year when I was about 10lbs lighter and came in around 24%...later on I was about 5lbs lighter and came in around 28%...I am sure I am close to 30% now again. I was hoping to go back and do the bodpod again soon when I lost some weight, but I might just suck it up and start with a new "baseline".

So yesterday was a good day :) I was pretty cranky most of the day...well it put it better, one minute I could kill, the next I was a meth patient bouncing off the walls LOL. Food came in pretty good even though the 1st 2 meals were kinda high, but I was able to save the day with a shake for dinner after sculpting since hubby was at the gym till 7:30. We were doing some running around getting ready for the 1x hurricane and 1x tropical storm headed our way starting tomorrow night. The problem with living on an island is that once the store stocks are gone...the are gone. We bought a little water but planning more on just filling stuff up at home. We did get propane though for our camping stove and we have lots of food batteries.

Today I have a running meeting again and calories seem to be ok. I have to do a bit more running around at lunch to get kitty stuff and I forgot my Garmin at home so it might be a mcd's day(aw shucks) LOL.

Got on the scale this morning and I don't seem to have gained anything from the weekend ...so my story today is "rock steady"
  • ChLoE1130
    ChLoE1130 Posts: 1,696 Member
    Options
    Hi Ladies!

I am trying to keep up with you all, but this board is moving fast and I am SWAMPED at work and super stressed because of my crazy bipolar, micromanaging boss....

Anyways, I am in the star challenge for August, I know I was pretty flaky with it in July, but I really need to get it together this month. So Shanaber if you could put me down for 10,150 that would be great. I do not count exercise cals, so I would just like to consume that. I am already over 150 the past two days, but I am going to work hard to make up for that. I did PiYo Monday and today and ran yesterday. So I am doing good with workouts.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone - I am determined to get my BF% down - maybe not below 20 but at least down into the low to mid 20's... we shall see. I am primarily worried about the health side of things and being fit.

Beeps - I really wonder where I was before as well. Having lost 60 pounds (1/3 of me) I must have been at least 40% if not 50% because I had very little muscle before (no exercise, no lifting, nothing). I have before and after pics in my profile too. I have to say the friend I went with was at 18% a year ago, has not been able to work out for the last 7 mos and came in at 20% and she has gained at least 20lbs. She is a little shorter than me (I am 5'1" and I think she is 4' 11") and has been running and working out much longer so maybe that is the difference.

I am very curious to see what the nutritionist will say, not so much about what I eat - I do think I eat well but more on how much I should be eating.

Onward! I went to the gym and kicked it out on the bike even though I really didn't feel like going!

Chloe - I've got you down for the Star Challenge! You have a micromanaging boss and I have a non-responsive, uncommunicative boss! I would trade but I think I would rather manage myself :laugh:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    chelneal - when I "lived on an island", the biggest problem I felt was that I could NEVER DRIVE FAST!! (I like to get on an open road and drive fast...sometimes reduces my stress.) The stupid island had ALL windy roads and never a speed limit faster than 90 km/hr. Forget it.

Hi Chloe - I am GLAD you are in for the *star* challenge! Great timing!

shanaber - I'll be interested on your nutritionist report, too....even though I cut out alcohol for most of this summer, that hasn't made a difference in my scale-weight either! Wtf?!?!? What do you do if you have cut out all processed foods, no white foods, no sugar, no alcohol, and smaller portions and the scale STILL isn't moving?!??!?

Anyway, I am now on DAY 3....this one is kind of the LAST HARD ONE before it is more "coast" style....I can do this. I did take waist measurement today and it is a firm 28". That is 1.25" bigger than my best waist, so I do have chiseling to do and I am ON IT!

No lifting today. But, tomorrow I lift, Saturday I cardio and I will weigh both Friday and Saturday to come up with a "true" number.
  • CMorning99
    CMorning99 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

So another day and another dollar! Yesterday went pretty, calories were bit higher than they could have been b/c of some chocolate truffles I found in the house LOL. Had our meeting with the running group last night and it was nice. We worked on finding our paces, recovery/tempo/race pace. We walked to a little park in near UH in downtown Honolulu and it is so sad how dirty that place is :( The park's paths only added up to about .31 miles a loop and we ran for ~40 min for about 3 miles total. What kinda sucked was that all around the park were all these mom & pop Korean bbq places and such and they were in full force grilling getting ready for the dinner crowd LOL. Got home around 7:30 and had a quick dinner...was already for bed when my neighbors decided to have a "get together" in the bed of their truck right outside of our window and they were hootin' and hollar'in till after 10pm. We have such a lovely house here, but there is a vacant lot across the street right in front of our bedroom windows...people seem to have come to know that as the "party spot". We have lights around but they aren't hiding, they are just "hanging out" being very loud at all hours of the night.

So today...b/c of my light dinner last night I woke up hungry. I ate all my breakfast plus some before I even left the house...so lunch is going to be interesting b/c normally I snack on my bfast all morning...and I went over already for that meal :( Not sure on exercise...my legs were tired going up the stairs to my office and so I might need a recovery day. Hoping for an early release today and off tomorrow to hunker down!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    A truck "get-together" right outside your window, huh?!??!

Neighbours!
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    "neighbors" might be a generous description of people who party in a vacant lot across the way:drinker:

I did a Warrior Dash workout last night, 50 minutes of running, every 10 minutes I did 10 burpees! It was ok but I felt pretty silly since I was on the treadmill and other people were in the cardio room :blushing:

Tonight is my anniversary dinner, and I am sure I will splurge but I think I am wearing a super-tight dress and so I can't get too full:bigsmile:

Tomorrow the workout calls for 50 minutes of running but I have to do 20 pushups, 30 squats and 30 lunges every mile. If I run really slow I'll only do that twice in 50 minutes:wink:
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    Today is my oldest son's birthday....so, it's going to be a BUSY weekend!

My brother and his family (wife + kids age 4.5 and 2.5) arrive tonight....they will help dismantle the fort and then they will haul all the wood away, in their trailer, to build something fabulous at their cabin. We get them for one night.

Tomorrow, we are celebrating sonshine's birthday....we are doing steak and crab, so I'm off to buy crab sometime today. Sorry that my brother + family couldn't stay, but my s-i-l has to be at HER father's bday tomorrow. I get it.

Then, Sunday, we pack up and leave for a one-week mountain vacation.

Whew.

But, for today, I lift! Oh, and I have MADE it through my 3 days of ultra-low cals....and I will weigh in today. I don't think I will do scheduled cardio tomorrow because I only have the one day to visit with my brother + family.

Doesn't matter....I'll get lots of cardio when I am walking in the mountains next week!

BOOM!
  • shanaber
    Options
    Happy Anniversary Amy - hope you had a wonderful dinner!
    Beeps - Happy Birthday to your son! Sounds like a great celebration. A week in the mountains sounds so wonderful! I really need to get away soon! So glad you made it through your 3 days - That is awesome!! Hope the scale cooperates and rewards you!

We have a busy weekend too... Tonight out to dinner with my sister-in-law and niece; Saturday hair appointments for all except DH, followed by shopping and a movie; Sunday is dog beach and hopefully a couple of hours at the gym while everyone else goes to the airport to pick up my brother-in-law. The brother-in-law and family will then all move to a hotel. Better for them but I will honestly miss having them here. We see them so infrequently it is really nice to have them in the house with us but I understand they want their own space too.

Chelneal - I hope you are doing ok with all the storms coming through!

Have a great weekend everyone!
  • KellyBgetsfit
    KellyBgetsfit Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Happy Anniversary, Amy! Have fun!!! I LOVE me some burpees!!!!

Beeps- You and I will get back to where we need to be. We can do it! :-)

Shan- I think you look good. How accurate are those tests??? I will be interest to

Chloe- Sorry work has been crazy. Great job with your workouts.

I basically went back to work this week. I meant to only go in three times, but I went in EVER DAY. And I have a lot to do this weekend. And next week. On the bright side, I have been to busy to eat! I have been under every day - like I have 4200 calories left for dinner tonight/Sat/Sun. I have not been sleeping well this week, so I have not been hitting the workouts the way I should. But I will celebrate good eats!

Have a great weekend ladies.
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    Nobody really loves burpees, do they KC?

We split two bottles of red wine, I had a lamb burger and fries and it was delish, we also had sticky toffee pudding it was almost too sweet!

I will do 50 minutes of running tonight with the squats, lunges and pushups every mile. I reckon I can probably get 3 miles in...
    Trail/hike tomorrow and rest Sunday.
    What movie are you gonna see Shanaber? I want to see Boyhood. Maybe Sunday!

Have a great weekend everyone:)
  • Beeps2011
    Options
    oh my word at the GYM RANT I have right now....I posted it elsewhere on mfp, so I will SPARE you the GORY DETAILS!

My weight is down >2.5 lbs for the week. And THAT, my friends, is PROOF that you CAN move off BODY-BLOAT in a relatively quick period of time.

So, that is decent. NOW, I can actually focus on GOOD OL' bodyfat loss....my tummy is flat (bloat IS gone - even mirror says so!) and I will keep a pretty strict calorie intake, even while on holidays.

Once I get back, I am dropping cardio. I mean, next week will be ALL cardio (no weights in the mountains! Plus, it is a scheduled "rest" week.), but in looking at my WEIGHT GAIN, it ALL happened as SOON as I added back-in my (extra) summer cardio.

Like it or not, cardio makes ME hungry and that is where it all BLOWS UP.

When I limit myself to 1 x per week, I can actually go quite a long time in a decent calorie-deficit. As soon as I up my cardio, my binge-y behaviours are right there. Nope.

As much as I REALLY DO ENJOY cardio for stress-release, it just messes with other goals that I have.

No bueno.

5 weeks - and now only about 7 lbs. to lose Doable.
  • jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Just got back home after visiting friends who stay at school over the summer. I have no healthy food down there. Plus I need to look into their gym memberships because I tried running and I wanted to die. Give me a cardio machine any day. I decided to come home early because I know I will make better decisions here, than staying down there another night. Ugh, I still have so much left to do before the semester starts.
  • shanaber
    Options
    Kelly - my understanding is that the water/dunk test is one of the most accurate - that is assuming you can blow out as much air out as possible. I don't think it is possible to keep enough in to really make a difference though. So it is what it is and I am going to do what I can to lose that last 10 and bring the fat down along with it (not muscle though - want to hang on to that). Enjoy those extra calories over the weekend and get ready for next week... you should really relax a bit before the 1st day of class though!

Beeps - congratulation on the loss that really is AWESOME!! I can't give up cardio, I just can't and when I don't do it my weight starts to creep up... I do think it has a big impact on being able to build muscle though so maybe I just need to cut back. Hoping to find someone to guide me through this!

Jess - kudos to you for making the right choices that are best for you!

Amy - we had steaks and 2 bottles of wine tonight too (for four people plus we shared with our waiter) and carrot cake for dessert but I was too full and couldn't eat much of the cake...
    We are going to see the 100 Yard Journey. A friend of ours worked on it and after living for years in the middle east my s-i-l can relate to it.
  • jess1jane
    jess1jane Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    It is strange how easy it was for my body to get used to not working out while I was visiting friends. Now that I am home and need to start working out again, my body just did not want to get up and move. But I powered through and I got back on track with my workout. Should be a normal week again.
  • Kadi82
    Kadi82 Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Amy - happy anniversary! I'll admit I don't mind burpees. I dislike high knees I look like a goob.

Beep - happy birthday to your son. That sucks about your brother and sil not being there.

I got silver this week. After being quite under the week before (probably too under) I've made up for it! I felt a little guilty so ran 11km yesterday. My hips have gone out of place again and I was hoping the run would help but I can feel them twisted. It hurts!

Goal this week. Run x 3, drink enough water and eat properly