Liberals Against Abortion?

Options

Replies

• adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    If you want to be technical, a parasite is NOT the same species as the host, so pregnancy would not be included with that definition.

I agree with you. I think does nothing but inflame the debate to compare the fetus to something else like a parasite, or tumor, or anything else. Sure, they might have similarities, but a fetus is a fetus. A fetus becomse a baby. The debate seems to be when that fetus becomes a conscious life form and when it's rights equal the mothers.
  • Regmama
    Regmama Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    If you want to be technical, a parasite is NOT the same species as the host, so pregnancy would not be included with that definition.

I agree with you. I think does nothing but inflame the debate to compare the fetus to something else like a parasite, or tumor, or anything else. Sure, they might have similarities, but a fetus is a fetus. A fetus becomse a baby. The debate seems to be when that fetus becomes a conscious life form and when it's rights equal the mothers.
    exactly!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options

Makes sense. You also need to take out the emotionally driven terms and ideals as well. They kind of counter each other and there is a reason why people tend to go so far to the scientific and technical sides sometimes.
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I think does nothing but inflame the debate to compare the fetus to something else like a parasite, or tumor, or anything else. Sure, they might have similarities, but a fetus is a fetus. A fetus becomes a baby. The debate seems to be when that fetus becomes a conscious life form and when it's rights equal the mothers.

I considered my kiddo a parasite while I was carrying her. Her rights became equal to mine on the day she was born (my opinion, of course).
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    For the people people who think a embryo is a full person with rights, do you think that an early miscarriage/late period is on the same level as a stillbirth or cot death?
  • Regmama
    Options
    For the people people who think a embryo is a full person with rights, do you think that an early miscarriage/late period is on the same level as a stillbirth or cot death?
    Every woman I know who had a miscarriage mourned the loss of their child and state their child in the number of children they have. My husband counts his two siblings, who passed as a result of a miscarriage, as siblings.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    really wow
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    ive never known anyone do that apart from one woman for a 2nd trimester mc, but ive never known anyone count an early miscarriage as a child, even if they did mourn the loss at the time.
  • Regmama
    Options
    really wow
    Yes, I thought that was common.
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I had an early miscarriage - about 6 weeks...I don't count that as part of my family. My girls don't have another sibling. I don't have 3 children. I don't think counting miscarriages that early as children is the norm.

ETA - I do know people who mourn the loss of later term pregnancies but they still don't count them as children. My very religious brother and sister-in-law have lost 3 pregnancies so far and don't say they have 6 children. They only have 3.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    really wow

i dont think its common at all
  • VeganInTraining
    VeganInTraining Posts: 1,321 Member
    Options

What I worry about when it comes to abortion is the type of people who wouldn't get one. From personal experiences (and general assumptions) I always think education= pro abortion (for fear of ruining one's own life). Drug addicted, school drop outs = against abortion (because they can't afford it )

I KNOW those aren't the only two cases, but its always the general case I think of in terms of abortion. I'm not sure how abortion works in other countries, but I think abortion should be a government funded procedure (with limitations of course).

If you have become pregnant and don't want the child but can't afford the procedure, the government should offer assistance. Simple as that. If you can't afford a procedure which is minuscule in respect to the cost of raising a child you should have options.

apparently I'm a "drug addicted, school drop out" who is serving in the military, doesn't drink, smoke, or do drugs and is pursuing my degree in psychology. You say "education=pro abortion (for fear of ruining one's own life)" I didn't realize that education=selfish. I can get on board (though I don't agree) with people who get an abortion because they wont be able to give the child a decent life but abortion because it will ruin one's own life is selfish.

I definitely disagree that abortion should be government funded. If someone wants an abortion they will find the money (my friend who thinks that abortion is a valid form of birth control has had 3 on minimum wage) And abortion is WAY cheaper than carrying and delivering a child.

I said before, I'm pro-choice because people are going to get abortions no matter what but I would always recommend someone not get an abortion.

Aristotle was adopted, as was Bill Clinton and Malcom X. Is adoption ideal? no. But it sure beats the alternative! Ask a person who has graduated format he foster care system if they would have rather been aborted. I'm sure that some would say yes but I think that majority would say "no" I have a handful of friends that are eternally grateful that their mother's decided that though they personally couldn't raise them that at least she decided to give the kid a chance. Sure, if you give a child up for adoption, or it's born into a dysfunctional family (who's family isn't?) they may not thrive, but at least they were given the change and many of them do.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    really wow

i dont think its common at all

I've heard of it and definitely understand it but I wouldn't call it common. I was pregnant before but I never had any children.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    http://www.topix.com/forum/who/TNSPH89CFKQGD6KSF

^^ famous people who were adopted not aborted
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    so? Theres quite a high proportion of adoptees who turn out to be serial killers too
  • poisongirl6485
    poisongirl6485 Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options

LOL that they put Jesus on there.

Also, some of those people weren't adopted, but simply raised by a stepparent in addition to the birth parent. Or raised by relatives of the birth parents. That is not the same thing at all and not comparable to someone giving up a baby to adoption.

Not to mention that in my bit of research of just a few of the names on that list, the list is NOT accurate as several of the people I've looked up so far were NOT adopted, NOT raised by relatives, or anything even close.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options

LOL that they put Jesus on there.

Also, some of those people weren't adopted, but simply raised by a stepparent in addition to the birth parent. Or raised by relatives of the birth parents. That is not the same thing at all and not comparable to someone giving up a baby to adoption.

Not to mention that in my bit of research of just a few of the names on that list, the list is NOT accurate as several of the people I've looked up so far were NOT adopted, NOT raised by relatives, or anything even close.

I laughed that they put Jesus on there as well. Sorry, apparently I quoted a crappy site, I couldn't find the one I was looking for so I took the first one I saw without checking out credibility. Sorry about that.

I agree that being raised with a stepparent is not the same as adopting but i would say that as far as abortion vs. someone else raising your child that being raised by relatives is similar, and surprisingly not something that has been brought up. The same? no, but similar because it's still choosing to have the child and allowing someone else to care for it.
  • adrian_indy
    adrian_indy Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I think it is a bogus argument to show people who were adopted to go on to do great things as an argument against abortion. What statistics on how many become a Bill Clinton vs. how many become criminals. Besides, if you are using this as a pro-life argument, a persons success in life shouldn't be the deciding factor of their "worth" as a human. If the child was autistic or a mentally handicapped, you would still be pro-life, right?
  • VeganInTraining
    Options
    I think it is a bogus argument to show people who were adopted to go on to do great things as an argument against abortion. What statistics on how many become a Bill Clinton vs. how many become criminals. Besides, if you are using this as a pro-life argument, a persons success in life shouldn't be the deciding factor of their "worth" as a human. If the child was autistic or a mentally handicapped, you would still be pro-life, right?

I absolutely would but how many people would consider a child having down syndrome a reason for abortion? countless. It is not a bogus argument because you never know what is going to happen. People are saying that adoption is a bad idea because those children aren't going to have good lives blah, blah, blah. The point of sharing that, apparently flawed, list is that being put of for adoption does not = terrible life. If it is bogus to give a list of people who have succeeded after adoption then is is equally as bogus to say that killing a baby is a better option that putting them up for adoption because then they will be caught in the system and subject to a crappy life.
  • VeganInTraining
    Options

I absolutely would but how many people would consider a child having down syndrome a reason for abortion? countless. It is not a bogus argument because you never know what is going to happen. People are saying that adoption is a bad idea because those children aren't going to have good lives blah, blah, blah. The point of sharing that, apparently flawed, list is that being put of for adoption does not = terrible life. If it is bogus to give a list of people who have succeeded after adoption then is is equally as bogus to say that killing a baby is a better option that putting them up for adoption because then they will be caught in the system and subject to a crappy life.