What is your fave UK town/city?

Options
Curious to know! I haven't been everywhere yet. I do love London - so much to do and such a buzzing atmosphere. I was also very impressed with Oxford, such beautiful old buildings, just a very nice feel to the place really :) So those were my 2 faves so far! Where in the UK do you love to go?

Replies

• moonlightuk
    moonlightuk Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I also love London, but my favourite has to be Edinburgh. That's my home town, have been in England 10 years now but still get homesick :(, Susan x
  • katejolee
    katejolee Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have to be biased and say belfast !! its developing into an excellent tourist destination and the people are the most welcoming in the uk. The city centre is young and vibrant. N.I. is beautiful and has some wonderful sights.
  • UphillBattleAxe
    UphillBattleAxe Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I also love London, but my favourite has to be Edinburgh. That's my home town, have been in England 10 years now but still get homesick :(, Susan x

Agree with Susan Edinburgh is fab, but you should make a stop in Newcastle upon Tyne on the way up....my home town!! Party/Shopping Central....but some great architecture, visit the Quayside for the Tyne Bridge (mini Sydney Harbour Bridge!), Baltic Arts, The Sage...Angel of the North is also iconic. Some great beaches and castles scattered along the Northumbrian coast line all the way up to bonny Scotland!! Should work for the tourist board : )
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    Belfast is def on my list Kate! I really liked Edinburgh too :) Had a lovely cream tea in the cutest and friendliest cafe! I've not been to Newcastle yet (although I've been past it many times on the train while I was working in Scotland and commuting to London every weekend). I think it looks lovely (especially at night with the lights on the bridge) but I've heard a lot of bad things about it (since I'm from Newcastle in Australia and people feel the need to comment!) - ironically, it is usually from people who have never been there! So I'm certainly not letting that sway me!
  • Mariannewww
    Options
    I'm very biased but I love York! All of the old squares and cobbled streets and a pub every two paces (all the most important things) I would love to upload the view from my flat window of the Minster an all the old houses but I'm too technologically challenged. Oh and bettys tea rooms hey own the fat rascal I have to force myself away from the window when I walk past. It doesn't help that they add glacé cherries ad almonds to the top to make a delicious happy smiling face either!

Iv gone off topic - York is beautiful! X
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I'm very biased but I love York!

My sister visited York when she was over because her hubby is from Barnsley which is vaguely nearby I think haha. I've not been yet (although, again I've been past on the train many times) but her pics were amazing!
  • britesideoflife
    britesideoflife Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I also love London as it is home - so much to see and do (Although I do not like the cost of living here!)

I love Bournemouth for the beaches & beautiful countryside nearby. I must make an effort to get to York as have heard great things about it!
  • SuperScrabbleGirl
    SuperScrabbleGirl Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    MANCHESTER! Love it.

Also Belfast, amazing, I go most New Years and it's an awesome city. Worth a visit if only for Avoca cafe.

Edinburgh: I usually only get up there in August, which makes me a terrible person, but it is absolutely beautiful.
  • Liopleurodon
    Options
    Love Brighton SO much. Was there for uni. Back in London now, not far from where I grew up, but never have been very keen on London. Too big and noisy and busy all the time. Plus I find being by the sea incredibly soothing.
  • panyg
    panyg Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    My favourite is London. Yes, I'm biased! Talking of being biased, I really like Liverpool too. The best football team in the world play there in Anfield!

Yorkshire is beautiful, especially the greenery of Harrogate. Also agree with Ebinburgh being beautiful.

I've never been to Newcastle but I'm going to a concert there next month so I appreciate all the travel tips!
  • fiabka
    fiabka Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Yep London for me too - born there & love going back at every given opportunity & I am a patient at Guys Hospital so have to go every three months so always use the excuse that might as well do something while I'm there!!!

Another one for me would have to be any town on the west coast of Cornwall (does that count!!!)

Live in Oxfordshire now & it certainly ain't the best place to live that's for such but hay ho it's a lot safer than a whole lotta other places & situated between London & Birmingham & on the road down south makes a bit easier to get out of !!!
    :smile:
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    For me, in the UK, there is no finer place than Argyll. Then again I grey up on the Ayrshire coast and Argyll and the lochs were my playground growing up.

Both Glasgow and Edinburgh are might fine cities too.

I love Yorkshire and there are some stunning places to visit and see, but York is one of my favourites and used to go there a lot when I was a student in Hull.

Whitstable on the North Kent coast is a pretty village and one of my favourite places in England.

I also love Colchester, the oldest recorded town in England... but I live here so I'm biased.

Devon & Cornwall are beautiful places to visit.

I've only been to Wales twice... once to Aberystwyth and once to Cardiff. The latter is a buzzing vibrant city and I could imagine it being a fun place to live.

I've never been to Northern Ireland (only the Republic)

Now, London... my home for 10 years... It certainly ranks amongst the greatest cities on our planet and the history that can be traced from a few square miles is amazing. Having said that, I'm glad I don't live there and can enjoy it when I visit rather than when I have to go to work there.
  • whiskey9890
    whiskey9890 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    i love newcastle, i only lived there for 7 years but it always felt like home and despite leaving that area 5 years ago i still miss it terribly (especially at this time of year, i always want to know what fenwicks window is like). if me and the other half had jobs we could walk into up there straight away i'd be dragging him along for sure.

i also love york, such a beautiful city with lots going on
  • Wendy20111987
    Options
    i live in east london not like it that much!!
    i absolutly LOVE bournemouth wish i could move there
  • LazyDavid
    Options
    In Europe my two favourite cities/towns are Berlin and Scheveningen (in Holland); lived in both places and miss them both so much!
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I'm very biased but I love York! All of the old squares and cobbled streets and a pub every two paces (all the most important things) I would love to upload the view from my flat window of the Minster an all the old houses but I'm too technologically challenged. Oh and bettys tea rooms hey own the fat rascal I have to force myself away from the window when I walk past. It doesn't help that they add glacé cherries ad almonds to the top to make a delicious happy smiling face either!

Iv gone off topic - York is beautiful! X

York is one of my favourite cities too. :)
  • AmeChops
    AmeChops Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    My favourite UK town is Redcar. It's not particularly great but it's where my family are and I only get to see them a few times a year...it's a bit of a trek from Southampton lol :-))
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    I love Plymouth! Spent my first 3 years in the UK living/studying there. In fact, most of Devon and Cornwall I would say is on the top of my list. I also like Bath. I have not been to alot of the towns and cities mentioned in earlier posts but unfortunately i was disappointed with Glasgow and to a lesser extent Edinburgh
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    In Europe my two favourite cities/towns are Berlin and Scheveningen (in Holland); lived in both places and miss them both so much!

since we are now talking about Europe, i will add mine too.

my favourite UK cities visited so far are Istanbul (Turkey - if you classify as Europe), Rotterdam (Netherlands) and Antwerp (Belgium). Paris has got to be my least favourite.
  • Hollieox
    Options
    Norwich but above anywhere I love the Isle of Wight where I was born, could never live there again but it is lovely in the summer!