What is your fave UK town/city?

Options

Replies

• Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I love St Ives in Cornwall. We no longer want to go anywhere else on holiday :happy:

Colchester is a pretty good place to live. It's steeped in history (oldest recorded town in Britain) and is close enough to both a big city (London) and the coast so that it caters for almost everyone. Essex is really flat so people that love mountains may be disappointed!
  • andiechick
    andiechick Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The North East is a very friendly place, I'm from Sunderland which is sandwiched between Newcastle and Durham. The whole area is rich with history, but Durham is particularly pretty and Newcastle in good for shopping. I do love my hometown tho, we are a short drive from both the coast and the countryside - what more do you want!! York is fantastic and is only about 90mins from us in the car - in fact I just spent the day there on Saturday.

Incidently - I'm actually travelling down to London for a training course in January, staying in a hotel in Trafalgar Square. Drinks anyone, lol!!
  • snailrunner
    snailrunner Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I grew up in Plymouth, but don't rate it apart from being near Dartmoor and the coast.

I love Bath, would like to see more of Newcastle and Edinburgh, and have York on my 'must see' list.

I've lived in London longer than anywhere else and I'm very happy here - the only place I want to move to is Dubai!
  • bex2012
    Options
    Im a north east girl and it has to be york (cobbles street, bettys, fabulous museums) and whitby (the abbey, steps,pier and the fish & chips) xx
  • dazlite
    Options
    Cambridge of course! It's got history and architecture, nice shops, great people. Punting on the river Cam, lots of green space in the city centre. If its good enough for Stephen Hawking then its good enough for me!

My only gripe is the lack of any hills! I grew up in Yorkshire and used to hike a lot in the lake district. East Anglia is so flat, but that makes it a great place for cycling so its not the end of the world :glasses:
  • Alisonb8
    Options
    As a nomadic nurse I've lived in a few places but its probably Manchester for me...love all the indie shops and Afflecks Palace (where I spent most of my pocket money as a kid). Centre of London is wonderful but I lived in the East End and wasn't a fan in the end. Loved being a student in Liverpool...etc etc. Live in Leeds now, which I'm also a fan of.
  • MsD1984
    MsD1984 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Swindon is my fave place :) Can't wait to move there this year :)
  • Slimmasaurus
    Slimmasaurus Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I love St Ives in Cornwall. We no longer want to go anywhere else on holiday :happy:

My hometown! I love St Ives. I live in London for university and I HATE it. I miss the sea and sand and pasties! (Though it's certainly helped with my weight loss!)
  • emma_groom
    Options
    I love York, we've been camping there and stayed in b&b and both times were really good, we go a couple of times a year, it's only half hour on the train also so going to start going for day trips more :)
  • ProWebMonkey
    ProWebMonkey Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    For a City I like Manchester which is also where I have lived most of my life.

I lived in Central London but I never got on with it. It seemed a lot like everyone thought they had the most important mission in the world and everyone else was just in the way :-)

Over all I like all the quite towns, I lived in Cumbria in a small village which was great and and also Brightlingsea I love just cause it is so quite and traditional.

Past that all the places in Scotland I have been to I loved and driving up to Fort William was amazing scenery wise. So yeah loads of places I really like hard to choose just one.
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I'm very biased but I love York! All of the old squares and cobbled streets and a pub every two paces (all the most important things) I would love to upload the view from my flat window of the Minster an all the old houses but I'm too technologically challenged. Oh and bettys tea rooms hey own the fat rascal I have to force myself away from the window when I walk past. It doesn't help that they add glacé cherries ad almonds to the top to make a delicious happy smiling face either!

Iv gone off topic - York is beautiful! X

I love Betty's! York is definitely one of my favourite cities in the UK...I try to get there at least twice a year, if not more! I also love Oxford, Winchester, Canterbury, and Brighton. London's great too, and very convenient for me. I used to live in Colchester (technically a town, not a city!), which I loved, not least the historical aspect....I used to run interactive history mornings for the young archaeologist club in the castle; hammering on the door of the castle at 8am, dressed in early medieval clothing was loads of fun! :laugh: Middleham is also a favourite town...in fact, I love The Dales, full stop. And I have a particular fondness for Tan Hill, and the road leading up to it!

I'm sure there are more which I have forgotten - there are so many lovely places in the UK!
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    since we are now talking about Europe, i will add mine too.

my favourite UK cities visited so far are Istanbul (Turkey - if you classify as Europe), Rotterdam (Netherlands) and Antwerp (Belgium). Paris has got to be my least favourite.

Well if you're going to do that, then obviously I have to add my home, Venexia! Also Firenze! :bigsmile: Cologne is really cool too.
  • TheGoktor
    Options
    Im a north east girl and it has to be york (cobbles street, bettys, fabulous museums) and whitby (the abbey, steps,pier and the fish & chips) xx

Oh, how could I forget Whitby? And yes, the chips....**dies!**
  • kyle4jem
    kyle4jem Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    my favourite UK cities visited so far are Istanbul (Turkey - if you classify as Europe), Rotterdam (Netherlands) and Antwerp (Belgium). Paris has got to be my least favourite.
    Wow... not many folks would mention Rotterdam as a favourite city!

I lived there for a few years on and off and I absolutely adore :heart: the city... although when I went back it seems to have changed:noway: ... but then again.. everywhere does! :ohwell:
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options

My hometown! I love St Ives. I live in London for university and I HATE it. I miss the sea and sand and pasties! (Though it's certainly haelped with my weight loss!)

We went for the first time last summer and were hooked immediately. We were paddling in the sea before breakfast one morning and a shoal of tiny fish came right up to our feet. Without the clear, green sea we would never have known. Who needs to go abroad?!

Anything/anywhere you recommend for this year?

London has its own charm, but it can't beat the cornish coast.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    Wow... not many folks would mention Rotterdam as a favourite city!

I lived there for a few years on and off and I absolutely adore :heart: the city... although when I went back it seems to have changed:noway: ... but then again.. everywhere does! :ohwell:

lol, last time i was in Rotterdam was abt 2003 and it was lovely then. if it has changed, i might not like it much now either.
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    London has its own charm, but it can't beat the cornish coast.

I would soooo much rather live in the city than by the coast. I lived by the ocean in Australia while I was at uni for 5 years and maybe went to the beach 3 times - not my thing at all. Would much rather an inland country escape with cool old buildings or a snow holiday to a beach holiday too! I guess its an individual thing :smile:
  • bozzy2011
    bozzy2011 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have to be biased and say belfast !! its developing into an excellent tourist destination and the people are the most welcoming in the uk. The city centre is young and vibrant. N.I. is beautiful and has some wonderful sights.

I'm from Nottingham but have to agree with this. I go to Belfast twice a year the people are amazing so welcoming and friendly , and to think the first time I went I was slightly aprehensive.

Followed by Edinburgh which is a close second.
  • gtfcnat
    gtfcnat Posts: 199
    Options
    I love Lincoln, the cathedral is beautiful. I really like York as well.
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I love Glasgow, nicest (and most violent when drunk :P) people in Britain I'd say! I have a great time when I go there.

I love Manchester and London too.