What is your fave UK town/city?

Options

Replies

• yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I live in Brighton & I love it! I don't plan to move anywhere else in the UK any time soon!

In theory I should love London but I find it far too big and frustrating to cope with! I also love Manchester, Norwich and Edinburgh
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    London has its own charm, but it can't beat the cornish coast.

I would soooo much rather live in the city than by the coast. I lived by the ocean in Australia while I was at uni for 5 years and maybe went to the beach 3 times - not my thing at all. Would much rather an inland country escape with cool old buildings or a snow holiday to a beach holiday too! I guess its an individual thing :smile:

That's what its about. Different strokes and all that! Lived in a big town all my life. Big cities have lots to offer as far as places to eat and places to go, but the scenery isn't so good. Never lived at the coast and when we did go as kids it was the east coast with silt filled brown sea. Going to the south west coast made me realise what sea should be like!
  • yesiamaduck
    yesiamaduck Posts: 531 Member
    Options

I would soooo much rather live in the city than by the coast. I lived by the ocean in Australia while I was at uni for 5 years and maybe went to the beach 3 times - not my thing at all. Would much rather an inland country escape with cool old buildings or a snow holiday to a beach holiday too! I guess its an individual thing :smile:

That's what its about. Different strokes and all that! Lived in a big town all my life. Big cities have lots to offer as far as places to eat and places to go, but the scenery isn't so good. Never lived at the coast and when we did go as kids it was the east coast with silt filled brown sea. Going to the south west coast made me realise what sea should be like!

I'm telling you man, Brighton!
    It has a coast, it's a city and it's surrounded by countryside which is easily accessible! WIN WIN WIN
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was brought up in Rochester - the city itself is lovely - lots of history (****ens). Has a cathedral and a castle. Very overpopulated now though. Has lots of tourists from America and Europe. I prefer Lincoln though. I lived there for 22 years. Lovely city with a cathedral and castle and best of all lots of countryside round about so doesnt feel so overpopulated.... (also my daughter lives there.... so yeah I'm biased). Another favourite is anywhere on the west devon coast - really rugged and beautiful coastlines..
    :happy:
  • Juleeroch
    Juleeroch Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I was brought up in Rochester - the city itself is lovely - lots of history (****ens).

omg ---- after reading through my post I wondered what on earth had been ****** (starred out - (moderated).. It was the first 4 letters of a well known author who wrote David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations etc etc)..... how daft is that....:noway:
  • lastconfetti
    lastconfetti Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I love Bath. Also Brighton, and Edinburgh are great places :)
  • nothingisred
    Options
    Definitely Bath.

I'm a born and bred Londoner so I'll always have a love for London (but at the same time a hatred for it, commuting breaks your soul) but in Bath I feel at home. It's so beautiful and just the right size, I've lived here for just over a year now but will be moving back to London in the summer for uni and I'm really sad about that, I will miss it so much, and will probably move back again in the future. My only gripe with it is that there isn't much going on here, it could definitely do with better nightlife!

I would like to spend more time in Brighton too. I went there for the first time on New Years for a friends party and the little of it I saw I really liked.
  • Kap10
    Kap10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I'm a Londoner, I've lived in Suttin Coldfield, Beverley, Peterborough, Stevenage but I have always came home to London, its my favourite
  • SLN11
    SLN11 Posts: 210
    Options
    I am from up north also !

My fave place is York, We go once every year at least and stay in the queens hotel, drool over betty's tea room and go on ghost walks !

I love whitby too and skegness, seaside type of girl :)
  • LilMissFoodie
    LilMissFoodie Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I was brought up in Rochester - the city itself is lovely - lots of history (****ens).

omg ---- after reading through my post I wondered what on earth had been ****** (starred out - (moderated).. It was the first 4 letters of a well known author who wrote David Copperfield, Oliver Twist, Great Expectations etc etc)..... how daft is that....:noway:

hahahaha yep, can't get away with words within words on here... so annoying sometimes!
  • carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    When the children were young we always used to go to France for our holidays, now we enjoy holidays in the UK, favourite cities have to be York and Bristol, but we love Cornwall and are going back down in April. My husband went to Warwick University a thousand years ago and we still go to Warwick, Kenilworth and Coventry every year. I would love to try Northumbria and Norfolk sometime.
  • blondeboms
    blondeboms Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Bournemouth is my fave place, i live there so yes biased. I love lincoln, the buildings are beautiful. When i go up there i stay in a hotel which overlooks the castle and cathedral, great little restaurant across the road, Cafe Zoot, love it. I'm quite fond of Nottingham too.
  • Caitlinhappymeal
    Caitlinhappymeal Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Cambridge and Edinburgh xx
  • janehen12
    janehen12 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I miss Liverpool, moved 5 months ago and miss it.

Saying that i'm quite happy here in cheltenham!
  • TeeferTiger
    TeeferTiger Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I grew up near Manchester so city wise I'd probably have to say Manchester. But as an area, I'd have to say North Wales. I really can't imagine living anywhere else now. I have the sea, the hills and the mountains all within 5 minutes of my house and it's beautiful. Conwy for the castle and the quay, Llandudno for the victorian promenade, pier and the Orme.

As another poster said, I can't get on with London at all, too many people rushing about. My stress levels shoot through the roof the moment the train pulls into Euston station!

European wise it'd have to be Lyon. Beautiful city and architecture with brilliant transport system, and the people are lovely.
  • Veganniee
    Veganniee Posts: 460 Member
    Options

It has a coast, it's a city and it's surrounded by countryside which is easily accessible! WIN WIN WIN

I've been to Brighton and loved it I really did. If only the beaches were sandy!
  • TeeferTiger
    Options

I've been to Brighton and loved it I really did. If only the beaches were sandy!

I don't like Brighton... got concussion there! lol
  • TeeferTiger
    Options
    Bangor is a city (it has a Cathedral), it has a pier and countryside all around and I've never had concussion there, so it's WIN WIN WIN WIN for me :laugh:
  • Aperture_Science
    Aperture_Science Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    MANCHESTER! Love it.

100% agree.