say a little about your thyroid issues

Options

Replies

• melajarrells
    melajarrells Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am 38 and I have Hashimoto's Thyroiditis. I am hypothyroid and I tyr to mange it the best I can. I take Synthroid. I was diagnosed five years ago. It has been very hard to lose weight. I have done a lot of different diets. Right now I am reading Mary Shomon's new Thyroid Diet Revolution. I am also battling a kidney stone so I can't workout like I normally do. I have been having a hard time dealing with that!!
  • tashdownunder
    Options
    I just wanted to take a minute to say how much I appreciate finding this group! I finally found other people who understand what I go through. I am new to MFP, just about a month into it. About 4 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimotos. This was about 6 months after my second child was born. After my daughter I lost most of my "baby" weight in about 3 months. Then my body did a 180 and I gained about 50 pounds in 3 months. I felt like I was going crazy and the doctors kept telling me it was because I had a baby. It took about a year to stabilize my thyroid and meds.(THough still feel the symptoms everyday!) So now I am on 125mg of levothrine a day. I had a very disappointing appt with my GP last week. I tried to talk about my symptoms now, but she wanted to talk about how bad my weight was and lecture me about not having regular physicals. So, that brought me down for a couple of days, but reading all your posts it makes me feel like I am not alone out there and I can do this. So far this month I have lost about 10 pounds. It was very difficult with a lot of sacrifices and sweat! :smile:
  • tashdownunder
    Options
    I just wanted to take a minute to say how much I appreciate finding this group! I finally found other people who understand what I go through. I am new to MFP, just about a month into it. About 4 1/2 years ago I was diagnosed with Hashimotos. This was about 6 months after my second child was born. After my daughter I lost most of my "baby" weight in about 3 months. Then my body did a 180 and I gained about 50 pounds in 3 months. I felt like I was going crazy and the doctors kept telling me it was because I had a baby. It took about a year to stabilize my thyroid and meds.(THough still feel the symptoms everyday!) So now I am on 125mg of levothrine a day. I had a very disappointing appt with my GP last week. I tried to talk about my symptoms now, but she wanted to talk about how bad my weight was and lecture me about not having regular physicals. So, that brought me down for a couple of days, but reading all your posts it makes me feel like I am not alone out there and I can do this. So far this month I have lost about 10 pounds. It was very difficult with a lot of sacrifices and sweat! :smile:

It is amazing to read this post ...... it mirrors my own experience EXACTLY. My thyroid too went overactive after I had my daughter, and then when it started to level out I stacked on a lot of weight. Not as much as 50 pounds, but still, it was impossible to understand given that my eating and exercise habits had not changed at all. I have been trying to lose that weight for the past 5 months to no avail. I am doing everything right, loads of working out, strictly watching calories, and the weight just will not come off. It's very frustrating. I have an appointment with my endocrinologist in mid-May so I am really hoping to get on a proper treatment path. I am so sick of trying so hard and not seeing any results! Well done on your weight loss this month - that is awesome, and doubly awesome because I know how very hard it is to achieve with a wonky thyroid.
  • moejo3
    moejo3 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Hi, I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's at 38 (now 42). I was lucky to find a great ND after a bad experience with an Endo. One day while I was getting a blood draw at his office my phlebotomist commented that she has Hashi's too. As I was already not to keen on this Endo I asked her who was treating her and she gave me the name of the Dr. I have today. I have been through a lot of meds but, I am not on Armour and playing around with the dosages. I have lost and gained weight numerous times. Which is frustrating. When I found out about Hashi's I also found out that my ovaries had failed and I was entering menopause, chronic fatigue syndrome, no absorption of proteins in my body, zero D3, and cortisol issues. I was a mess.
    Today I am only on Armour and I take a multivitamin and a cortisol manager, if needed I can also take something for my adrenals but, I have pretty much recovered them full from the adrenal fatigue of 5 years ago. Now that things are more or less stable I am focusing on creating a more healthy lifestyle and getting rid of the weight I have put on once and for all.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm maybe in the minority here...

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid over 10 years ago, and have been on Synthroid ever since. After the initial efforts to get my dose set, I stayed fairly level, until I got pregnant 5+ years ago, and then I had to increase my dosage during the pregnancy. My dose stayed at the higher level post-pregnancy, and my Family Doctor has just recently suggested an increase, as even though my levels were "normal," he said they like to see them on the higher end when treating for hypothyroidism. I'm currently at 125mg (for about two weeks now), and on generic Levothyroxine for the first time since I was dianosed.

Honestly, I feel like I can't tell much of a difference between being on and off the meds, but it's been so long, I don't remember how my original symptoms felt, other than that I was fatigued (or possibly mildly depressed) and had trouble losing weight. I was off my meds for about two weeks recently due to a schedling/mail-order prescription screwup, and I didn't feel that different from when I was on my prior dose. Ditto for the two weeks since I've started on the higher dose. I've been more active because I've been working to get more exercise, and I'm losing weight thanks to MFP, but I don't know that the medication really plays a huge role for me. So either the medication is getting me to "normal" levels and I'm still symptomatic, or I was never that symptomatic to begin with? I still struggle with fatigue, but I also have a 5-year old to chase around, and a husband that hits the snooze alarm 800 times every morning, so who's to say what's to blame? I've thought about seeing an endocrinologist or naturopath to try to get a better read on the situation, but I'm not sure what to tell them in terms of my symptoms, history, etc. I kind of feel like I've just been cruising along on Synthroid with no adverse or particularly stunning effects - does that make sense?
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options

I was diagnosed as hypothyroid over 10 years ago, and have been on Synthroid ever since. After the initial efforts to get my dose set, I stayed fairly level, until I got pregnant 5+ years ago, and then I had to increase my dosage during the pregnancy. My dose stayed at the higher level post-pregnancy, and my Family Doctor has just recently suggested an increase, as even though my levels were "normal," he said they like to see them on the higher end when treating for hypothyroidism. I'm currently at 125mg (for about two weeks now), and on generic Levothyroxine for the first time since I was dianosed.

Honestly, I feel like I can't tell much of a difference between being on and off the meds, but it's been so long, I don't remember how my original symptoms felt, other than that I was fatigued (or possibly mildly depressed) and had trouble losing weight. I was off my meds for about two weeks recently due to a schedling/mail-order prescription screwup, and I didn't feel that different from when I was on my prior dose. Ditto for the two weeks since I've started on the higher dose. I've been more active because I've been working to get more exercise, and I'm losing weight thanks to MFP, but I don't know that the medication really plays a huge role for me. So either the medication is getting me to "normal" levels and I'm still symptomatic, or I was never that symptomatic to begin with? I still struggle with fatigue, but I also have a 5-year old to chase around, and a husband that hits the snooze alarm 800 times every morning, so who's to say what's to blame? I've thought about seeing an endocrinologist or naturopath to try to get a better read on the situation, but I'm not sure what to tell them in terms of my symptoms, history, etc. I kind of feel like I've just been cruising along on Synthroid with no adverse or particularly stunning effects - does that make sense?

Other than fatigue, are you still experiencing other hypo symptoms? Dry skin, cold fingers, toes, hair loss, etc...Honestly, many people find better relief on Armor thyroid (natural thyroid hormone from pigs) vs. synthetic thyroid. I feel like it's kind of a red flag that you don't feel a difference. I really think you should. Just my two cents for you to do with what you will. ;)
  • enaves1986
    enaves1986 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with lipoma of the thyroid and had my thyroid removed in January 2011 (I was 24). I gained 30 pounds in a month lost it then regained 10 of it back. I am in the normal range again, well controlled on levythyronine and I am on a great diet. I feel like I had the energy like I did before the thyroidectomy.
  • klalaw
    klalaw Posts: 142 Member
    Options

Other than fatigue, are you still experiencing other hypo symptoms? Dry skin, cold fingers, toes, hair loss, etc...Honestly, many people find better relief on Armor thyroid (natural thyroid hormone from pigs) vs. synthetic thyroid. I feel like it's kind of a red flag that you don't feel a difference. I really think you should. Just my two cents for you to do with what you will. ;)

I never really had those symptoms. Skin isn't particularly dry - just a bit seasonally. I'm cold a lot - moreso than hubby, but not specifically my extremities. I haven't had any unusual hair loss, but have always kind of "shed" when I style my hair - that goes WAY back, just ask my mom who was always *****ing at me about all the hair on the floor! I guess I just kind of feel like it was a fluke that I tested as hypo when they tested it way back when, because I wasn't particularly symptomatic. Maybe I need to read up a bit more on the symptoms and take a serious inventory of which ones I've had in the past and/or still have...
  • SweatpantsRebellion
    SweatpantsRebellion Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Hmmm...could be that you're just really mild hypo. I got a laugh about the hair in the drain. Hubby nags at me for clogging the drain with hair...lol!
  • heinrichs21
    heinrichs21 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed 11 years ago. I was 8 at the time. My mom and grandma saw a lump on my throat and they thought that it was mesals. This lump was huge, the size of a golf ball. When I went to the Dr. he ordered lab work. My TSH was high my T-3 was normal and my T-4 was low. The Dr. looked at me and told me I should be dead. When I started my med. it was .50 mcg. I had monthly Dr. appointments with a Ped. Dr. where he measured my throat to see if the lump was going down and it was. The biggest worry was if I was going to grow past 4 ft 8 in. I am now 5'4".

I feel tired 100% of the time. I also have a Low Ferritin. I am now having problems losing weight again. When I started my new dosage everything was great. After a few months everything seems to be going backwards! Also how does one remember to take there meds daily... I always miss days. I just found out that I missed 1 week. I have tried everything I could think of to make sure I take it.

Thanks!
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    I Also how does one remember to take there meds daily... I always miss days. I just found out that I missed 1 week. I have tried everything I could think of to make sure I take it.

I should be ashamed to admit this, but I will. My husband gives me my Synthroid every morning when he wakes up. This way HE remembers that I have taken it and I don't get confused and skip or double dose. (He's a good guy. He doesn't seem to mind helping me in this way. I try to remember this on days that he isn't feeling well and needs a little catering to...)
    I take other meds. (blood pressure) that I keep in one of those pharmaceutical containers that are divided into seven for each day of the week. (I CAN'T make my husband responsible for all my meds. Just the one that keeps me out of a fog...). They are actually meant for elderly patients so they don't skip or double dose, but it's not like you need an i.d. to get one. :laugh: The catch is that I set it out in front of the spot where I eat so I take it with breakfast. That doesn't work for Thyroid meds. since we have to take it an hour before eating. Maybe you can keep it next to your shower stuff so you are reminded to take it before you get in the shower and can have breakfast after getting ready.
  • Helenatrandom
    Helenatrandom Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    My thyroid issues.... Hmmm... I could be here typing all day! :tongue:
    Long story short.... About ten years ago I was feeling so fatigued that I was worn out from walking from one side of the room to the other. I remember picking up a book from my mom's house and needing to rest from the walk from the front door to the car. I wept in the doctor's office. He immediately thought of my thyroid (and for that I bless him, even though he has goofed up on me a couple of times since...). I testily told him that he tested for that three years before and I was fine, so it can't be that. His response was that things change. He gave me tests (including an ultrasound of the thyroid, to rule out tumor...) and eventually put me on 50 mcg Synthroid.
    Things were going well for a while, then last year I had female troubles that, long story short, the gyno felt were thyroid related rather than uterine. My doctor didn't want to up my meds. but I threw a sh%tfit, so he did (I could complain about things he said and did in between, but I need to go soon :wink: ). In the meantime he monitors my blood more than ever before, convinced that the meds. will have me hyperthyroid any freakin' moment. :grumble: It hasn't happened. My female troubles have cleared out, though, THANK GOD! (I mean that literally. I bled so bad.... I prayed so hard.....)
    The last month I have been having more hypothyroid symptoms again, but I believe that I goofed. I started eating protein bars (10 grams of protein, no cholesterol....) and neglected to check the label. SOY!!! I know that experts debate about whether it is really a problem for thyroid patients, but from my experience, it is a problem for me. Maybe it's like some people of gluten allergies and some don't... Science can't prove that it is a problem for thyroid patients because some of us are sensitive, others aren't? Well, I apparently am sensitive.
    Anyhow, I promised to make a long story short, and think I may have missed the mark a bit! :bigsmile:
    God bless us all as we work on balancing our meds, diets, and lifestyles around our thyroid issues! :flowerforyou:
  • shamr0ck
    shamr0ck Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I am 43. Diagnosed with thyroid nodules about 5 years ago during an MRI to check for MS lesions. Started on synthroid to shrink the nodules (turned out there were 3 of them), which worked for about 6 months, then one continued growing. Dosage was adjusted, growth continued. Had 3 biopsies; 2 inconclusive, 1 suspicious. After 2 years of messing with it, my endo referred me to a surgeon for a partial thyroidectomy. After discussing things with both doctors, we decided to go with a full thyroidectomy, since i was really getting tired of quarterly ultrasounds and biopsies every 6 months. Since there were nodules on both sides of my thyroid, the checkups would have to be continued, even if we took out the side where growth was occurring.

This turned out to be a brilliant decision, as the small, non-growing nodule in the right side of my thyroid turned out to be malignant.

I am currently 3 years post-op, on 137mcg of synthroid and 15mcg of cytomel every day. Endo keeps me very hyperthyroid, and i feel pretty good. Have a very hard time losing weight, even though i'm in the gym like a crazy person. :D

I probably could have avoided having a hysterectomy had my thyroid been diagnosed earlier, as the extreme bleeding i experienced was probably related to my fluctuating *natural* thyroid levels. But i don't miss having to deal with female issues, either.
  • tecallahan
    tecallahan Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    The thyroid is famous (or infamous) for causing female issues... I had a hysterectomy when I was 29 -- I believe I was hypo at the time, but of course doctors said I was "normal". Then 15 years later and surprise, surprise, my TSH was 43!! I was nearly in a coma. 15 years on Synthroid convinced me 100% that synthetic T4 does absolutely nothing to resolve hypothyroid symptoms. All it does is make your TSH lab look normal -- which is meaningless.

I also have extreme vertigo, hearing loss and tinnitis, which I've had since I was 35... doctors told me I have "Menieres Disease"... I now know that there are many. many people with hypothyroidism that have these same hearing/ear related symptoms!! My Naturopath believes it's connected to a hormone called Aldosterone... we're testing, so I'm not sure yet.

Then you have the insomnia, anxiety, nervousness -- 2nd guessing yourself, getting insulted when the comment wasn't insulting, being over-sensitive to criticism, etc -- know what this is??? Adrenal Fatigue! We don't need anti-depressants! We need our thyroid and adrenals to work right!!

How did I find all this out? www.stopthethyroidmadness -- educate yourself - especially if you are young -- don't be like me and wait until you are 60 years old to open your eyes to the possibility - you don't have to live with hypothyroidism.

Terri
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Had blood drawn today for my annual labs.
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    Annual !?! Wow, that's a long time between tests!
  • natalieg0307
    Options
    Yep...now I just get blood work done when my script runs out. If I don't have any problems.....annual is all i need. Doc called today.....same script......results were all in the normal range.....I feel good.
  • x4mygirlsx
    x4mygirlsx Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with hashimotos last september 6 months after my 2nd daughter was born. I had TSH of 177 (yes i do mean 177 its not a typo lol) and i had no thyroxine in my blood at all. No wonder i had been feeling so crap.
    By december the doctor had managed to get my TSH to 5.8 and i somehow managed to conceive my third daughter even though i wasnt within the normal range yet. My TSH shot up to 9 because of the pregnancy so the doctor increased my meds.

Im currently 27 weeks pregnant and my TSH is finally normal at 1.3 YAY. Im on 125 mcg of levothyroxine and i take vitamin b complex and vitamin d tablets too. I also eat atleast 5 brazil nuts a day (for the selenium) and have found it has really helped with my energy levels.

Ive got my fingers crossed that my Hashimotos has not affected my daughter in anyway but only time will tell. So far everything is going well with this pregnancy (except maybe a little too much weight gain, ooops).

Have a lovely day everyone
    Lisa x
  • debbylee22
    debbylee22 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    That's great! I'm new to this, so its been once a month or more to check my levels... Sounds wonderful!
  • natalieg0307
    Options
    That's great! I'm new to this, so its been once a month or more to check my levels... Sounds wonderful!

I had a tumor my thyroid. I had the tumor and 1/2 my thyroid removed. Despite only having 1/2, that 1/2 was doing it's job and i wasn't on any meds. Years later, by hands started to hurt.....lots of tests.....and turned out to be my thyroid. It took a while to find the right dose. It's my understanding it can take months for the meds to kick in. I've been on 75mcg of Levothyroxine for years. No symptoms. Checked annually now.